☼ Pepita: Getting off Cipralex, having a very hard time

Pepita

True, I guess it is better to focus on external things than to run around in circles with inside topics:) 
I will give it my best today;) It´s bad luck that I am home sick with a terrible cold, it´s harder to distract myself. 

Is there a chance you could be pregnant? Is that your worry? 

2005-2006: Cipralex 5 mg

2009-2010: Cipralex 5 mg

2012-2015: Cipralex 5mg, 10mg 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Completely drug free since August 2015

Maybe this is just the perfect time to re-invent myself ;) 

tapered 10mg-7.5mg-5mg-2,5-0 (I always waited for a few weeks on the current dosage until I felt stable. Steps were too big I realized too late)

Hi Pepita! Sounds like we are in a very similar boat. 6 months into WD over here too and was previously on 5mg of escitalopram. I'm finding months 5 and 6 more difficult than previous months. I've had a wide range of WD symptoms and most have resolved fairly quickly. I find when I dwell on how crappy I'm feeling, I end up feeling worse. Junglechicken's idea to focus on things outside of yourself is good advice. Also, going for a walk and clearing your mind, focussing outwards helps. I know it's hard though. I'm always wondering what the next wave will be like. Will I be able to go to work? Maintain normal routines? I'm still waiting for my sex drive to come back fully too. Man, I miss it. lol. Seems like it is a very common WD symptom. 

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

Listening to music has helped me a lot. It gives me a lot of pleasure-still. Seems to be untouched by the WD effects.

Celexa 10 mg ( approx 5 years), reduced to 5mg (approx 10 years). Prescribed for anxiety and panic. Started tapering July 2015-2.5 mg for a month, then 2.5 every other day. Kept tapering until October when I took my last crumb.  Almost 4 years drug free and WD symptoms are evolving constantly. Some improved, some new. 

Hi Mimi11, 

I feel the same way! Month 6 is really hard but altogether I think this is because the whole thing has already been going on a view months. Feels like forever (sorry to those who are in protracted WD, this must sound like nothing) - and I feel really stretched out.

Maybe in the beginning I was more patient or more hopeful in the sense of "recovering soon". When I try to look at the progress objectively I am definitely in a better place today than I was 4 months ago. I am physically stronger, less tired all the time, headaches are gone for now, brain fog not as thick any more, no more numbness in hands/feet. But as we are always seeking to being really good of course, everything else is in the way as well;) 

You are right, dwelling on feeling crappy is the worst :D But sometimes I just feel so sorry for myself :D 
I really do - as I do for everyone who has to go through this but then I pull myself out of this state and I immediately feel better. 
To do so, I usually write down all the good things going on in my life, people and things I am thankful for. 

What do you do to help yourself to get out of this "feeling sorry for yourself"-state of mind? 

Phew..the sex drive thing is a real bummer! Luckily I had only a view days where this happened to me. I hear that many people have sex drive issues as well when being on the drug, did you experience this? 

I'm always wondering what the next wave will be like. Will I be able to go to work? Maintain normal routines?

Yes, this is one of my main issues as well. I find it hard to relax and to feel safe when I never know what´s going to happen next - specially concerning work of course! I have the big advantage of being self-dependent, working in my own office, so most of the time I can work even when I feel at my worse because I don´t have to interact with other people. But when it comes to appointments with clients - man I am having a hard time. I hate fixing an appointment because I never know how I will be feeling on that day. I had to cancel some - and some that I went through with put me into anxious misery before. 

What´s your job? did you have to take time off? 
Going to read trough your thread to get a little more insight. 

All the best!

No definitely not preggers Pepita - I have no sex drive, lol

My TOTM arrived this morning......

I think that being stuck inside our head is dangerous for us - I know this from having survived the last wave. What was detrimental to my sanity was the health anxiety, which then triggered the depression because I was convinced I was gonna die.

It's tough being on a roller coaster we cannot prepare for - scary and disconcerting.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi Junglechicken, 

being stuck in the head is definitely not the way to go :)

Hell no Pepita.

I end up in a tailspin back into my metaphorical hole - it's a place I hate and dread.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Hi Mimi11, 

I feel the same way! Month 6 is really hard but altogether I think this is because the whole thing has already been going on a view months. Feels like forever (sorry to those who are in protracted WD, this must sound like nothing) - and I feel really stretched out.

Maybe in the beginning I was more patient or more hopeful in the sense of "recovering soon". When I try to look at the progress objectively I am definitely in a better place today than I was 4 months ago. I am physically stronger, less tired all the time, headaches are gone for now, brain fog not as thick any more, no more numbness in hands/feet. But as we are always seeking to being really good of course, everything else is in the way as well;)

You are right, dwelling on feeling crappy is the worst :D But sometimes I just feel so sorry for myself :D 

I really do - as I do for everyone who has to go through this but then I pull myself out of this state and I immediately feel better. 

To do so, I usually write down all the good things going on in my life, people and things I am thankful for. 

What do you do to help yourself to get out of this "feeling sorry for yourself"-state of mind? Listen to music, go for a walk, go to the gym, spend time with friends and family. Work keeps me distracted also!

Phew..the sex drive thing is a real bummer! Luckily I had only a view days where this happened to me. I hear that many people have sex drive issues as well when being on the drug, did you experience this? Lucky you! I had a healthy sex drive while taking the drug. I think my sexual response may have been muted a bit, but all in all, it was good. I've had some windows with my libido recently, so fingers crossed!

I'm always wondering what the next wave will be like. Will I be able to go to work? Maintain normal routines?

Yes, this is one of my main issues as well. I find it hard to relax and to feel safe when I never know what´s going to happen next - specially concerning work of course! I have the big advantage of being self-dependent, working in my own office, so most of the time I can work even when I feel at my worse because I don´t have to interact with other people. But when it comes to appointments with clients - man I am having a hard time. I hate fixing an appointment because I never know how I will be feeling on that day. I had to cancel some - and some that I went through with put me into anxious misery before. 

What´s your job? did you have to take time off?

I have occasional numbness in my hands and feet too. 

I'm a teacher  :)  ​I've been fortunate and haven't had to take time off at this point. I missed a day or two during the winter with what I thought was flu like symptoms, but looking back it could have been WD symptoms. 

Going to read trough your thread to get a little more insight. 

All the best!

Edited by JanCarol
fix quotes

Hopefully you can read my responses ok! It didn't post them the way I thought it would lol

I have been feeling the same exact way. I feel lost and not sure where to turn. not sure what to do with myself . I get to thinking like maybe I should start working part time and then get this anxiety fear. The what ifs... What if it's too much? What if I can't handle it? I'm constantly thinking of ways to destract myself... Sometimes it gets old though... Just hoping it will get a little better

Panic attacks-Prozac 20mg 4 years

Effexor 75mg approx 9 years

Effexor to Zoloft 25 mg approx almost 2 weeks

Also used very low dose of Valium 1 mg sometimes 2x a day for anxiety for a month during medication changes.

Zoloft to Celexa 10 mg approx a week

Celexa to Prozac 10 mg for approx 5 weeks

Weaned off Prozac 10-5-2.5 mg

As of 1-8-2016 off everything

hey shelbytrev, you are off medication since January, that´s not a long time. How have you been doing so far? Since when are you now working any more? What´s your profession? Hm, of course only you know yourself good enough to know if a part time job would be manageable. In my experience, I found no matter how hard it is sometimes to carry myself to the office, it makes me a little more grounded. Takes my mind off and I feel better altogether. But I also reduced my working hours so I still have enough time to relax. 
It will get better for sure! :) I have been through so much weird stuff the last couple of months and so far, everything has disappeared. Ok, other stuff has fallowed, but that only gives me prove that this is WD-related. 

What are your symptoms at the moment? 
Whatever they are - they will lessen! For sure!!!

I'm looking forward to getting a job and being able to be in the "normal" world again, lol

Major Life Events: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pepita,

I moved the topic you started in the symptoms forum to your introduction thread here because it was related to your own situation specifically. You can use this thread to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Please bookmark it or follow it so you can find it again.

The feeling of having lost connection with our self is sometimes called depersonalization and is quite a common side effect of drugs and of withdrawal. Here is a topic with some information about it.  Derealization or Depersonalization - Surviving Antidepressants

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

hey shelbytrev, you are off medication since January, that´s not a long time. How have you been doing so far? Since when are you now working any more? What´s your profession? Hm, of course only you know yourself good enough to know if a part time job would be manageable. In my experience, I found no matter how hard it is sometimes to carry myself to the office, it makes me a little more grounded. Takes my mind off and I feel better altogether. But I also reduced my working hours so I still have enough time to relax. 

It will get better for sure! :) I have been through so much weird stuff the last couple of months and so far, everything has disappeared. Ok, other stuff has fallowed, but that only gives me prove that this is WD-related. 

What are your symptoms at the moment? 

Whatever they are - they will lessen! For sure!!!

Hi pepita

how do you manage with withdrawal symptoms vertigo nausea and brain fog?

2011 protracted withdrawal symptoms from Effexor, managed to come off
2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

01/17 Seroxat 2,0mg,olanzapine 5mg,risperidone consta 25mg/every 15days

05/17 Seroxat 1mg,olanzapine 5mg,risp.consta 25mg/every 15days

06/17 Seroxat 2drops,olanzapine 5mg,liquid risperidone2mg

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

24/06/2019 doc said to take 10mg olanzapine for 13days and down to 5mg
 been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Supplements Omega 3, Turmeric, Bacopa monneri, Mucuna Pruriens

Miko789 luckily I never experienced nausea in my WD, except for when I started the medication as a side effect. 
As for the vertigo and brain fog - these two got much much better within the first 4 months. I am now able to concentrate on work again. 
Before it made work impossible on some days - or let´s say, really hard. There is nothing really you can do to make it better I guess except to wait until it passes. 
When it was really bad I just layed down and did NOTHING. Everything would make it worse. Watching TV, reading, talking. So I would take long breaks during a day. Doing something for 1,2 hours - laying down for 1,2 hours, etc. 

Do you work? 

When I have to work and I have strong brain fog or vertigo I tell myself that there is nothing I can do about it right now and that I will do my work as best as I can. 
I will take it slow and make breaks as much as possible. Also I tell myself that I already know that this can´t actually do anything to me. I never fainted or broke down or whatever so it is "just" a very unpleasant feeling. 

Do you have vertigo very strong? 

Hi there everyone!
I just thought I would give a quick update to my healing progress. 

I am off meds 8 months now. 

Some things have continuously improved :)))) Yay! 

Work:
When WD kicked in, I could not work at all many days and very little on others. 
Now I am back at my office daily for 6-8 hours, able to focus on work (some days are harder, but it´s possible;)) 
So I am very very very thankful for that! At least I don´t have to worry about my income! 
I think if I´d be working at a big agency with many people around I maybe would not be able to manage yet, but in my office it works just fine! :)

Public Transportation: 

I can take the bus, tram and tube without too much annoying anxiety, sometimes feeling almost normal again;) 
Of course I still get the crazy days where I would avoid going out at all but generally this improved a lot as well. 

Work-Out: 
The first months it was impossible for me to even think about going to the gym (and I am usually at the gym every day;)) 
It was impossible, not only because I felt horribly tired, brain fog, headaches and so on - but also because I was terrified to go into a situation, e.g. a class, where I can´t leave easily, where I have to communicate to other people, some I know very well...
I just couldn´t. The last weeks I went there a view times, and most times it went really well. I can´t do boxing or kickboxing yet, but I go to yoga classes or do some light cardio. 
Last week I went to yoga three days in a row and my night sweats came back - so I still have to take it easy. 

Meeting friends: 
Somehow this is still the hardest part. I have my boyfriend at home and 1-3 very close friends I have no trouble seeing, but with other people I get so excited that I get a lot of symptoms still. 
Last week two friends came by, I have not seen them in 3 or 4 months. I was reaalllllyyyy happy to see them again but my nerves completely shut down. I got totally anxious, could not sleep the whole night before they came, felt extremely spaced out and depersonalzed during their visit. It´s weird. It makes me really sad that I cannot meet all the people I wish to see yet, but I will eventually. 

Generally, my mental symptoms still jump up and down A LOT. One day is ok, two days I am anxious, 2 days I am ok, 3 days I am totally depressed, and so on and so on. 

So there is still A LOT OF HEALING to happen:D 
But I am very greatful for all the improvements so far and I am more and more sure that all this will pass one day. 

Miko789 luckily I never experienced nausea in my WD, except for when I started the medication as a side effect. 

As for the vertigo and brain fog - these two got much much better within the first 4 months. I am now able to concentrate on work again. 

Before it made work impossible on some days - or let´s say, really hard. There is nothing really you can do to make it better I guess except to wait until it passes. 

When it was really bad I just layed down and did NOTHING. Everything would make it worse. Watching TV, reading, talking. So I would take long breaks during a day. Doing something for 1,2 hours - laying down for 1,2 hours, etc. 

Do you work? 

When I have to work and I have strong brain fog or vertigo I tell myself that there is nothing I can do about it right now and that I will do my work as best as I can. 

I will take it slow and make breaks as much as possible. Also I tell myself that I already know that this can´t actually do anything to me. I never fainted or broke down or whatever so it is "just" a very unpleasant feeling. 

Do you have vertigo very strong? 

Hi  Pepita,

when I taper off seroxat by 10% the first days I have vertigo really strong then it gets subside after 4 day. The difficult hard days I have also vertigo and dizziness but after it goes away.

regarding your question I got a job part time 4h/day as a salesperson

do you drive?

2013-2015  risperidone consta 50 mg, started tapering from March 2015 to 1,66mg/day and from 02/2015 started seroxat 10mg/day

07/17 Seroxat 1 drop,olanzapine 5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 10/17 Seroxat 0mg,olanzapine,5mg,Risperidone 0mg, 12/17 Seroxat 1/2 drop, olanzapine 5mg,  04/18 Olanzapine 1,25mg, 04/18 xanax 0,5mg

been taking 10mg for 14 days, 5mg for 8 days  and  tapered to  3/4quart. 5mg  for 14 days, 1/2 for 14 days,

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

Miko789 I imagine it really hard to work in Sales in WD :o 
I don´t have a drivers license and I am sure it would not have been a good idea to drive on many days where I found it hard to concentrate and when the brain fog was heavy. 

Pepita.  Thank you for that positive update.   :)    I'm sure there will be a few more bumps in the road , but given your positive outlook and disposition , I think you will be fine, and can look forward to some very bright windows.  I understand about the gym - some days , you just can't go there. However, that's ok . It's part of knowing your limitations, at this time and working within those parameters. To push too hard can be distinctly unhelpful. One day soon, we'll be there again ! 

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

AliG. :) Oh yes, there will be bumps for sure:D After 8 months of mostly pure suffering I let this desperate hope that "this was the last wave" go. There are still little bumps daily you could say...situations where I still feel far away from normal - but in general I can see a huge progress so that's awesome. Yesterday I went to a general practitioner for a regular annual health test and I talked to him about my withdrawal. He confirmed that quitting AD´s can lead to all those typical symptoms I described. He also said that the nervous system and the chemistry in the brain takes a long time to heal, at least 1,5 years. Of course, everybody in this forum already knows this;) But I was really happy to hear it from some doctor at least (after so many that told me this is impossible). He congratulated me for going through this hell and did not advise me to do anything else. He showed me a shelf full of AD´s and said that Pharma people come every other day, bringing him all kinds of AD´s he never prescribes. At least there are some decent doctors. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Meeting friends: 

Somehow this is still the hardest part. I have my boyfriend at home and 1-3 very close friends I have no trouble seeing, but with other people I get so excited that I get a lot of symptoms still. 

Last week two friends came by, I have not seen them in 3 or 4 months. I was reaalllllyyyy happy to see them again but my nerves completely shut down. I got totally anxious, could not sleep the whole night before they came, felt extremely spaced out and depersonalzed during their visit. It´s weird. It makes me really sad that I cannot meet all the people I wish to see yet, but I will eventually. 

Generally, my mental symptoms still jump up and down A LOT. One day is ok, two days I am anxious, 2 days I am ok, 3 days I am totally depressed, and so on and so on. 

So there is still A LOT OF HEALING to happen:D 

But I am very greatful for all the improvements so far and I am more and more sure that all this will pass one day. 

As another Lexapro victim I have caught up with your thread the other day and wanted to say hi.

I have a much more complicated history than you and my last escapade is mostly due to Xanax but what you wrote in that updates resonates so much with me. Especially this part with meeting friends. I was struggling with finding words to describe what happens. It is exactly as you say. I have been out of teach and in minimal contact even electronically for months and I miss and look forward to seeing them. But then quite soon I get, as you say extremely spaced out and depersonalised. I have to limit the interaction and it seems I should only spend an hour with them because anything over that depletes me. And I get carried away and don't even notice that a few hours have passed.

Working, transportation and working out is also very similar to what you are describing as well as the feeling of gratefulness for the improvements and hope in seeing even more progress.

I see that you ask people about what they do. I tell everyone I sit in an office (and write lots of reports, sometimes go fo meetings or give presentations and go on business trips. I had to cancel all business trips in the past 7 months). This kind of work is hard for soembody who is struggling badly with concentration, focus and general restlesness but it also gives me a lot of space for zoning out when I run out of energy. I don't think I would be able to cope in a different environment. And at the weekend I ocuppied myself with digging in the garden and noticed something interesting: my brain was struggling badly to focus on digging as well. I had to stop all the time but would go back and as time passed I managed to ease into the moment and be more present and less restless. This combination of moderately strenuous physical activity and focusing calmed me down a lot so I look forward to more digging therapy this weekend :) Sometimes I think that doing soemthing with my hands and body, being physically active would make things a lot easier for me than this sitting...Especially as my brain is so depleted after work that I have to lie down and switch off completely after work. 

What your doctor told you is totally amazing! Maybe things are finally starting to change and we are closer to the day when doctors finally realise their patients have been right all along (but that would entail admitting they were wrong at the same time and harming them...)

I still have such a long way to go and I won't be tapering any time soon but reading updates such as yours is very encouraging.

Wish you lots of healing!

Bubble 

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi Bubble!:) 
thank you for your message.
I wanted to quote, but my browser is acting silly today, so I will do it like this: 

"But then quite soon I get, as you say extremely spaced out and depersonalised."

Yes, this is really weird but I guess it must be the nerves. It doesn´t matter if you get excited through a negative or a positive input- your nerves react, so I guess that´s why our bodies react that way. AS you say, I start to feel spaced out and DP when I meet people I am happy to see, and sometimes my palms and feet start to sweat cold  :blink: 

"I have to limit the interaction and it seems I should only spend an hour with them because anything over that depletes me."

Oh, so you don´t calm down with the time, it gets worse? You feel more exhausted the longer you talk to somebody? 

"Working, transportation and working out is also very similar to what you are describing as well as the feeling of gratefulness for the improvements and hope in seeing even more progress."

I never thought that I would be pleased my such little things like: I am happy I went to the supermarket today like a normal person :D 

"I see that you ask people about what they do. I tell everyone I sit in an office (and write lots of reports, sometimes go fo meetings or give presentations and go on business trips. "
Wow - you`re able to give presentations???  :o
  That´s great! Is it really hard every time, or does it vary? Did you have to take some time off altogether or did you work all the time? Congrats anyway - I am not sure that I would have been able to handle this, specially in the beginning. I am self dependent, I don´t have to have appointments often and I still had to cancel a view. I imagine businesstrips impossible :D So your employer knows about your conditions I figure? 

"Sometimes I think that doing soemthing with my hands and body, being physically active would make things a lot easier for me than this sitting..."

Yes, that´s the same for me - except for meditating. Meditation helps me a lot but sitting around on the sofa alone, doing "nothing" - or even worse - having ruminating thoughts is the worst. Something physically definitely helps to calm the mind automatically. Just not too much;) It´s all like balancing on a very thin rope. 

Yes - I was very very happy with my doctor´s statement. I have been to quite a view neurologists so far, everyone denying WD and risks. 
So finally, I found somebody who admits this. And I guess for him it is easy to admit, because he always had that opinion and never prescribed them easily (or ever, I don´t know). 

"I still have such a long way to go and I won't be tapering any time soon but reading updates such as yours is very encouraging."

That was why I wrote this update. I love to read happy outcomes and positive updates and stories because it gives me strength and more and more hope. 

And yes, I read your legend, your story is far more complicated than mine but it seems to me that you are on the very best path now. I guess it does not matter how long it takes. The important thing is that you are lessening the bad influence in your system and one day you´ll be completely free of everything :D This is what I am looking for the most: When all of this is over, I will be happy...and I will know that I am happy BECAUSE I AM and not because I am influenced by something. I am really looking forward to this time (and I have many more days compared to a view months earlier where I feel pretty good already). 

So I will read through your threat right now and I wish you all the best and lots of healing too! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pepita,

I still don't know how to quote properly so I will do it like this :)

It doesn´t matter if you get excited through a negative or a positive input- your nerves react, so I guess that´s why our bodies react that way.

Yes, that's exactly the case. Our CNS is so raw that it finds any stimuli too much to handle, both positive and negative.

Oh, so you don´t calm down with the time, it gets worse? You feel more exhausted the longer you talk to somebody? 

Yes, again. More interaction means more stimuli and overstimulation. I need all the downtime I can get and los of isolating...

I never thought that I would be pleased by such little things like: I am happy I went to the supermarket today like a normal person :D 

Exactly! You start appreciating life so much more...

"I see that you ask people about what they do. I tell everyone I sit in an office (and write lots of reports, sometimes go fo meetings or give presentations and go on business trips. "
Wow - you`re able to give presentations???  :o
  That´s great! Is it really hard every time, or does it vary? Did you have to take some time off altogether or did you work all the time? Congrats anyway - I am not sure that I would have been able to handle this, specially in the beginning. I am self dependent, I don´t have to have appointments often and I still had to cancel a view. I imagine businesstrips impossible :D So your employer knows about your conditions I figure? 

No, my employer doesn't know about my condition. Although they probably suspect something. Officially my trouble are due to my GI issues and general immune problems, frequent UTIs.... Back in January I was convinced I would never again be able to work. I took 2 weeks of sick leave and then used 3 weeks of my annual leave. After that I returned but every single day was a struggle and once a week I would stay at home and once a month take a week off sick on various pretexts but also UTIs. I haven't been able to give a presentation since December. I will try net week but I'm scared and not sure if my brain will be able to handle it... 

"Sometimes I think that doing soemthing with my hands and body, being physically active would make things a lot easier for me than this sitting..."

Yes, that´s the same for me - except for meditating. Meditation helps me a lot but sitting around on the sofa alone, doing "nothing" - or even worse - having ruminating thoughts is the worst. Something physically definitely helps to calm the mind automatically. Just not too much;) It´s all like balancing on a very thin rope. 

Exactly again :) I also started doing short mindfulness meditation regularly and find it very important.

My thread is boring :)

Your history is short and simple so you should be better before long. Lots of healing

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Pepita - it's good to see how well you are doing, overall.

The friends, the kickboxing, they will come back if it is important to you.  I love karate, but it was my hand that got injured - so I have had to manage my mood without going and kicking and punching stuff - great for getting those negative emotions out!

Would you like to recommend your doctor to:  Recommended doctors, practitioners and clinics ?

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to check in and give you an update because I recently experienced something that surprised me (still after all these months of weird experienced;)) So I have been doing really well the last 2-3 weeks it seemed like every day I was improving, doing more and more stuff that I usually do and it felt really good. I have been thinking about getting a dog for almost 10 years now and I decided to finally go for it. So last Saturday we drove to a breeder I have been in contact with for quite a while. The night before going there I already noticed that I was feeling very hyper, over-excited and that it was sort of overturning into feeling down. As soon as we walked into the breeders door and I saw all the puppies the sympotms started to get mostly physical really strong. I got a headache and felt that everything was just "too much". There was only one puppy left and she is perfect but I freaked out. I told the breeder that I would think about it and tell her the next day if I´d take her. From the moment we left the breeders home my head started turning and turning, I was ruminating about the dog and feelings and thoughts were building up to the point where I felt like I had a fever and I started shaking. It was like a happy nervous puppy shock. I did not sleep for 3 nights and I felt like a walking ghost. I decided to take the dog by the way because I know that this wave will be over again when my nerves calmed down but I observed once again how vulnerable and open my nervous system still is. It´s totally crazy :D I did not think that such a happy occasion would throw me into another such strong wave but here I go. This happened one week ago and I am still shaky but a bit better:) I hope that within the next 10 days I will calm down a bit instead of getting more and more excited :D I´ll get her on 21. of June and I hope that I will be able to go-otherwise my boyfriend will get her on his own but actually I don´t wanna miss picking her up. 

Greetings to all of you, I hope you are coping well:) 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pepita,

Good to see how well u are doing.

did you get that puppy?

How did u manage with being excited about it?

Kind wishes

M

01/08/19 2,5mg

08/2021 5mg olanzapine

• 1 month later...

Hi there, 

Miko, I did not see your post, otherwise I´d have answered earlier. 
I did get the puppy. Which threw me waaaayyyyyy back in my WD:((((( First I was so excited. Now I have the puppy and it´s soooooo much more work than I thought it would be. I mean, I knew it would be, I just did not know how much it would affect my everyday life - specially in WD process. Honestly, I am feeling horrible since 2 weeks. So many symptoms are back, I am nonstop ruminating about if I am able to handle the dog or not, many nights I can´t sleep because I am hearing her move and think she needs to go wee or something and I am sooooooo damn tired. A huge wave of depression and anxiety is back. Trouble is, I can´t say what´s WD-related and what´s "normal" due to the life change and sudden responsibility. Before I had all the time I needed to take care for myself and recover. Now I don´t have any time for myself, my boyfriend or anything because I feel so stressed out about going somewhere with the puppy and watching after her. It has been my wish to get a dog all my life and I honestly though that this would help me to recover quicker because I´d have a distraction from myself and all those WD-troubles. I did read in some forums that there is something called a "post puppy depression" that seems to be quite common for people adopting a dog but I am just sooo pissed off that I am having such a throwback. Altogether I somehow regret getting her because I feel so horrible. I even had suicidal ideation which I never had before in my WD. On the other hand I feel love for her and I don´t think I could forgive myself for giving her up. I just feel soooooo depressed, physically and mentally tired and I HATE this so much at this point :( 

Sorry for this negative post I just feel really bad at the moment:(((((

• 3 weeks later...

Is anybody out there? :( I am so looking forward to some responses!

Hi Pepita! I wish i never started cipralex back in 2013, it was the worst out of those 4 antidepressants i tried. Horrible inserting, gave me symptoms i couldnt believe was possible. Stayed on it for 1 year then 4 month tapering and now 17 month out. I wish things were alot better. Been taking too high dose of thyroidmedicine last two months, giving me hell x 10. Im sorry i dont have anything good to say but I can relate to your struggle from this nasty drug.

Take care!!

Klomipramin 25-150mg 2002-2013

Sertralin - 6 weeks in 2009

Mirtazapin - 7 weeks 2013

Cipralex -  20mg Nov 2013 - Nov 2014

Tapered Cipralex from Nov 2014-Mars 8 2015

Thyroid - Low metabolism

Levaxin - 2010 - 25ug - 175ug

Liothyronin(T3) -  10ug - Nov 2014 - Nov 2015

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Pepita,

Things will settle down I'm sure. I've never had a dog to care of but it seems you worry too much. Things don't have to be perfect. It will survive even with less care and attention.

Have you ever done any talk therapy? This looks like domething were CBT might be very useful for exploring certain patterns. Let us know how things continue.

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hi there, thanks for your links and words. 

@ Swede: I saw in your signature that you took 3 other meds before Cipralex. Why did you change those so quickly? Did they not help or did you have too many side effects? Cipralex is horrible. I´d so love to know what kind of person I would be today if I never stepped into that one doctor´s praxis who prescribed it to me. Well. There´s nothing one can do but either survive getting off them or start taking them again. 

I was on my way to getting sooooo much better before I got this puppy. And then all the excitement and stress put me right back in hell. 

I so hope that this will get better because this time I can´t simply concentrate on myself, relax and take it easy. A puppy is much much much more work than I ever thought it would be (though I was top informed, read a lot of books, talked to dog owners). I just want to enjoy my life again!

@bubble: you are right, I worry 24/7 - and I know that I shouldn´t - which stresses me even more. Because I just don´t know how to calm down at the moment. My minds racing day and night and I condemn myself for thinking that I was already healed enough to be ready for a puppy. My recovery was on a really good way, I made huge steps forwars. Working again, meeting people, starting to train. And getting a dog was a huge wish of mine since I was a kid. So I thought that with my recovery coming along so well that this would be just the thing to reinforce my healing even more. But just like so many other things in WD before - like meeting people I really like ended in being super anxious or depressed - this "happiness seemed to be too much for me". 

I am working on a week´s plan so that I can get back on track again. Because at the moment I am so down that I end up doing NOTHING besides walking and training the dog. I feel so detached from myself and my normal life, it´s horrible! I do want to arrange therapy sessions again yes! Just waiting to get some response on the timing! 

Hi FSL, I know what you mean! I felt much better at 5mg Cipralex as at 10 for example. I reduced to quickly in the end, so my WD was relatively intense. End of August I will be off 1 year and I made huge progress until I got the puppy :( 

Pepita.  I'm sorry that you're struggling. How many months is it since you quit the drugs ?  I'm thinking that you might just be in a wave and the focus of your attention is on the pup. You might be feeling low even without the pup , is my point .

I found at all the 6 month points that I had a severe wave or three ! LOL.

6/12/18 /24 month waves for some reason can be intense . Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately , there is nothing to do but go through them. We don't have the option of updosing or tapering. I used to think this was a disadvantage but I've come to see that it's actually a blessing because you just have to get through it and it makes you more resourceful , at the end of the day.

Could you perhaps update your signature , so that we can see how long it's been off the drugs ?

Ali 

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

Hi AliG, 

that´s what my boyfriend keeps telling me. He thinks this is a wave with the focus on the puppy. Yes, could be. I mean, generally I think that most people would feel their stress levels rising when having to take care of a puppy. BUT in my "special case" of WD and waves and sensibility to stress - this has thrown me into a huge wave. I really don´t know but I find it hard to believe that all this depression ")U$=)"§" is caused by just the pup. 

I just updated my signature. So you can see, I am off Ciralex since a year now.