Apex - Looking for guidance

Apex

Hi all - It seems pretty clear that I've tapered too quickly off from Viibryd, but what now?  My situation is a bit complicated because I'm on a few medications to help me sleep.

My symptoms right now are severe fatigue, cognitive issues (brain fog, spaciness, lack of focus) and akathasia at night.  Pretty worrisome stuff as I'm a Director at tech company and I need to be on point = / (yes, stress isn't helping my cause).

I think I should reinstate, but I'm not sure if I should at 5 mg, 10 mg or higher.  Please see below and thanks in advance for your help.

SSRI and Adjunct History:
-At age 33 started Lexapro 10 mg and from summer 2012 to summer 2014 worked great for GAD, OCD
-Lexapro 10 mg seemed to "poop out," but with new symptoms of difficulty concentrating/brain fog so upped to 15 mg and then 20 mg over remainder of 2014.  Anxiety was still managed but my P Doc and PCP believed it was depression symptoms (hence increase)
-Added Abilify early 2015 - did not help with cognitive issues and gave me akathasia so discontinued
-Cross-tapered to Viibryd 20 mg during summer 2015 - still no anxiety, but still dealing with brain fog.  Side effects were worse than Lexapro with upper and lower GI issues
-Over past year went up to 30 mg Viibryd - no anxiety, but still brain fog
-Spring 2016 - Sleep got progressively worse which made it difficult to determine whether cognitive issues were more from lack of sleep or lack of appropriate SSRI dose
-Spring 2016 tried Rexulti - no help so tapered off
-Current - 0 mg Viibryd (tapered recently, though too fast)
Taper:  From 30 mg to 20 mg from 6/20/16 to 6/30/16 (two weeks on 20 mg)
From 20 mg to 10 mg from 7/1/16 to 7/14/16 (two weeks on 10 mg)
From 10 mg to 0 mg (3 days), then up to 5 mg (3 days) then 2.5 mg (2 days) and now 0 mg since 7/23/16

Additional medication history:
-From ~2014 to early 2016, took 5 mg valium suppository as needed for chronic pelvic pain - able to stop due to successful physical therapy
-From June 2015 to now, taking 75 mg (yes 75, not 750) gabapentin to help sleep/akathasia
-From May 2016 to recently, taking 0.5 mg lorazepam for sleep (recently tapered this to 0.25 mg)
-Took propranolol 20 mg for about a week in mid-July 2016 due to severe akathasia (assumed due to Viibryd withdrawal).  Tapered down to 0 mg over following week
-From summer 2015 to now, take 10 mg Vyvanse as needed for focus (more days than not)

Current supplements:
-5 mg melatonin nightly
-200 mg L-Theanine x2 day
-150 mg Magnesium Glycinate x2 day
-5000 iu D3 1x day
-1000 mg Omega 3 fish oil x1 day
Edited by scallywag
tags added
-Age 37, Dx of GAD, OCD, MDD

-Past:  Lexapro 20 mg (4 years)

-Current symptoms primarily cognitive (brain fog), fatigue and sleep disruption (with akathasia)

-Recently tapered from 30 mg Viibryd to 0 mg in about five weeks through late July 2016 (yes, too fast)

Additional medications:

-75 mg (yes 75, not 750) gabapentin to help sleep/akathasia; 0.5 mg lorazepam for sleep; propranolol 20 mg for about a week recently due to severe akathasia; 10 mg Vyvanse as needed for focus (more days than not)

Current supplements:  -5 mg melatonin nightly, 200 mg L-Theanine x2 day, 150 mg Magnesium Glycinate x2 day, 5000 iu D3 1x day, 1000 mg Omega 3 fish oil x1 day

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Apex -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)!

Thanks for posting your introduction and completing a signature.  Your question is timely. Reinstatement is likely to be effective for you with so few days passed since your last dose. Reinstatement is not a sure-fire guarantee but it's the best bet to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

Your CNS (central nervous symptom) has started adjusting to a lower dose (0 mg) of the drug and jumping back to 10 mg could be too much. You could likely reinstate at 2.5 mg without a problem, and 5 mg *may* give you CNS destabilization symptoms. Those symptoms are likely to resolve but again it's difficult to predict.

Dose    days since last dose
 2.5        6
 5.0        9
10.0       12

It takes drugs 4-5 days to reach a steady state and then another few days to a week for noticeable relief in your symptoms. In your situation, I'd likely take the more conservative dose 2.5 mg to test my CNS response. You'll need to weigh the need, risks and possible benefits.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Because you're within a week of your last dose you may not experience the waves of symptoms and windows of symptom-free time. Please read this just in case:

The Windows and Waves pattern of stabilization

For later reference:  Tips for tapering off Viibryd (vilazodone)

A tip: You get notifications when someone posts in this thread if you follow this topic. To do that

Click the gray "Follow this topic" button.

A dialog box appears: select one of the notify options.

Then, click "follow this topic" in the dialog box.

Have a look at the link's I've posted. Come back and post questions about your situation here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

scallywag - I really, really appreciate your prompt reply.  I'll give 2.5 mg a shot.  To confirm, presumably I'll need a month or so to know that I've stabilized and only then start a taper from there?  And in my case, I don't expect to feel "great," just a lot less miserable and more functional (as I was at 10-30 mg)?

-Current symptoms primarily cognitive (brain fog), fatigue and sleep disruption (with akathasia)

-Recently tapered from 30 mg Viibryd to 0 mg in about five weeks through late July 2016 (yes, too fast)

Additional medications:

-75 mg (yes 75, not 750) gabapentin to help sleep/akathasia; 0.5 mg lorazepam for sleep; propranolol 20 mg for about a week recently due to severe akathasia; 10 mg Vyvanse as needed for focus (more days than not)

Current supplements:  -5 mg melatonin nightly, 200 mg L-Theanine x2 day, 150 mg Magnesium Glycinate x2 day, 5000 iu D3 1x day, 1000 mg Omega 3 fish oil x1 day

• Moderator Emeritus

That's a realistic assessment, Apex.

It may also help you to look at Magnesium and Omega-3 fish oil

as well as learning some Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Re-started at 2.5 mg yesterday and the akathasia/restless legs came back last night so I had to take 10 mg of propranolol.  It's odd to me that on the one hand decreasing the Viibryd dose causes this symptom sometimes and on the other increasing it causes it...

Anyway, looking forward to getting more functional sooner than later.  I'd rather be hungover from my college days as at least you knew when it would pass...  I'll be ordering a digital scale and any other necessary items this weekend.

Thanks again all.

Additional medications:

• Moderator Emeritus

Apex, it's not so much the dose that causes the RLS/akathesia but the fact that there's been a change in dose.  We don't understand fully how our central nervous systems react. Predicting symptoms becomes a gamble equivalent to a dice game. :wacko:

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

Out of curiosity, what do I do if a month from now I find that I'm not feeling any better?  Considering the rapid pace that I dropped from 30 mg I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that only 2.5 mg will stabilize me to a less miserable/more-functional pre-taper state.

Additional medications:

• Moderator Emeritus

Apex: It depends on your symptom pattern. Keep good notes on paper about your symptoms, when the occur/intensity/ease/disappear.  Many people start to see patterns -- daily patterns and overall trends.

For some suggestions about keeping track of symptoms, please read this topic:

Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

scallywag's Introduction