Hallucinations

Shanti

Does anyone else get any kind of hallucinations? I've pretty much had minor ones all my life. Alot of it I attribute to the Spiritual, as visions and such. I used to have them any time, but now I only have them with my eyes closed. As soon as my eyes close I get very vivid visions that can be very bizarre or innocent. But even the innocent visions and sounds can be startling when they come out of nowhere and intrude on your mind. It's like there's no boundary and control over your mind. No escape and refuge to close your eyes and have stillness and peace.

My remedies for this are effective. But sometimes not. Last night was the night before a full moon and I had them pretty bad. I am hoping this goes away with withdrawal. Is it a symptom of withdrawal?

I had the wonderful idea to put a dream catcher in my room. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I put one for my avatar.

The Stramonium is supposed to help with hallucinations, but it didn't work last night. Does anyone know any other remedies?

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• 12 years later...

Ok, this is going to sound crazy, but I’m wondering if anyone has thought that they saw something that they really didn’t see while slowly weaning off Effexor? I’ve been holding dose since January. Twice i’ve seen an email notification to my husband pop on his iPad (the emails come through to his phone and computer at the same time) that has completely disappeared without a trace within seconds of it coming through. It’s not in the deleted file, it’s just gone. I question my husband about the email, but he denies knowing anything about it. He is telling me that withdrawal must be causing me to have delusions and the emails never existed. I’m thinking that he deleted these emails immediately, but he swears he’s not doing anything like that. I’m so confused, bc I can’t imagine he’d lie, but I also can’t imagine that I’d imagine an email that wasn’t actually there? 

1994-Paxil

2005-Switched to Celexa

2009-Venlafaxine XR 150mg and Klonopin 0.5mg

2022-Weaned from Klonopin over 8 months-I experienced over 33 symptoms during my taper, but once I slowed way down it went more smoothly. 
Aug. 20th 2022- Benzo Free :)

With the end of Klonopin taper delusions/paranoia that lasted weeks! 

June 2023-began to taper Effexor XR I did a micro taper with Klonopin so decided to do the same with Venlafaxine XR. I started by removing one bead daily and after a few weeks went up to two beads daily. When I started to get insomnia and brain fog I’d hold dose. I updosed once by two beads. 

March 2024-Currently 37.5mg plus 31 beads and holding. My taper schedule caught up to me, as I began to feel sad, unmotivated, insomnia, and now experiencing delusions/paranoia-Have lost 15 pounds. 

supplements-Tumeric, Zinc carnosine, B vitamins, Niacin, vit c, magnesium, selenium, black seed oil, iodine 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @TheBeeHive3

I think you are asking if withdrawal can cause hallucinations so I've merged the thread here. It is possible but it wouldn't be common. 

Do you have a history of hallucinations or paranoia? You may wish to do a search for "hallucinations" on the site. 

It is also very possible your husband is lying. I don't know him but why would something so specific come up. Or are you worried about him cheating or something so this is a fear that plays out? 

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

I was abandoned by my parents, therefore my greatest fear in life now is to be abandoned by my husband. Is it possible that weaning from Effexor has caused some type of trauma response in me? I feel like I’m going crazy when it comes to my husband. He is being really supportive, talking with me, encouraging me to go to a therapist, etc. I’ve never had a history of paranoia or hallucinations. Well, I did experience some paranoia when weaning from Klonopin in 2022, but otherwise no history of such. I’m wondering if after 30 years of antidepressants and being about 65% off of it now,  if it could be causing everything I’m experiencing. I feel like these drugs are so powerful. I want to go see someone about this, but I don’t want them to prescribe me anything. I am holding dose since late January. I just don’t know. My husband is either a completely different person than I’ve known him to be the last 23 years or I am having some type of triggered trauma. I wish I knew if anyone else has gone through anything like this. 

1994-Paxil

2005-Switched to Celexa

2022-Weaned from Klonopin over 8 months-I experienced over 33 symptoms during my taper, but once I slowed way down it went more smoothly. 

June 2023-began to taper Effexor XR I did a micro taper with Klonopin so decided to do the same with Venlafaxine XR. I started by removing one bead daily and after a few weeks went up to two beads daily. When I started to get insomnia and brain fog I’d hold dose. I updosed once by two beads. 

March 2024-Currently 37.5mg plus 31 beads and holding. My taper schedule caught up to me, as I began to feel sad, unmotivated, insomnia, and now experiencing delusions/paranoia-Have lost 15 pounds. 

supplements-Tumeric, Zinc carnosine, B vitamins, Niacin, vit c, magnesium, selenium, black seed oil, iodine 

-12 years later. Wow... 104 posts, 10 years. I am outta here! Take care! Healing comes!

No, I didn't start hallucinating until re-living traumatic experiences.

I see cat's where there are none. I see shapes in the corner of my eye, but there is nothing there.

I have my vision completely covered by terrible flashbacks. (To put it mildly)

Withdrawing from medications did not cause any of those symptoms for me.

Though, shadow figures and other shapes in your vision, are not unheard of when coming off a medication. Especially a Serotonergic.

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop Nicotine. (Cigarettes are out the window! I can breathe again.)

He's saved me more than once.

My cognition was absolutely and almost totally destroyed by these drugs, so remembering things that turned out not to happen is absolutely possible.

It's mostly better now.

• 15mg Remeron/Mirtazapine November starting 2022 (severe physical side effects)
  • Attempted to taper off January 2023, ended up having a major breakdown and going up to 30mg, took weeks to stabilise
  • 1 month taper  to 0mg
  • Last dose April 2023
  • Severe withdrawal syndrome with many physical symptoms

Summary: 5 months using Mirtazapine, including 1 month taper ending late April 2023. Severe withdrawal since.

3 hours ago, CharlieBrown said:

-12 years later. Wow... 104 posts, 10 years. I am outta here! Take care! Healing comes!

No, I didn't start hallucinating until re-living traumatic experiences.

I see cat's where there are none. I see shapes in the corner of my eye, but there is nothing there.

I have my vision completely covered by terrible flashbacks. (To put it mildly)

Withdrawing from medications did not cause any of those symptoms for me.

Though, shadow figures and other shapes in your vision, are not unheard of when coming off a medication. Especially a Serotonergic.

Thank you for the response…this is a rough road. 

1994-Paxil

2005-Switched to Celexa

3 hours ago, LukeUK said:

My cognition was absolutely and almost totally destroyed by these drugs, so remembering things that turned out not to happen is absolutely possible.

It's mostly better now.

Thank you so much for responding…this site brings so much comfort!
I’ve been holding dose since late January. Is it normal that I’d still be experiencing things like this? Was that your experience? 

1994-Paxil

2005-Switched to Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

@TheBeeHive3

Paranoia (or rather mistrust) is not unusual in withdrawal and is a common trauma response as well. 

For hallucinations I've usually seen reports here of people with mild ones as well - look for the topic "what is happening in my brain" and she talks about it a bit. Like hearing music that's not there. 

At the same time people also change so your husband may indeed be different. And ADs impact our connection to people - empathy, attachment, risk taking etc. There's a thread on that too - people becoming different when on the drug, falling in and out of love. WD can also bring on OCD and OCD like symptoms in people who have never had it or exacerbate them. Relationships are often subjects of OCD obsessions. 

Triggers are powerful and can take us back to very traumatic events. What you need to do is remember that you're not that child. Even if you were left alone in this world you're an adult with adult resources and capacities that make you much less vulnerable and much more capable of surviving and thriving in this world. Please be gentle with yourself. 

I'd suggest slowing your taper. 

This can go on for years but if the taper is slow, chances of severe symptoms are low. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

36 minutes ago, Onmyway said:

@TheBeeHive3

Paranoia (or rather mistrust) is not unusual in withdrawal and is a common trauma response as well. 

For hallucinations I've usually seen reports here of people with mild ones as well - look for the topic "what is happening in my brain" and she talks about it a bit. Like hearing music that's not there. 

At the same time people also change so your husband may indeed be different. And ADs impact our connection to people - empathy, attachment, risk taking etc. There's a thread on that too - people becoming different when on the drug, falling in and out of love. WD can also bring on OCD and OCD like symptoms in people who have never had it or exacerbate them. Relationships are often subjects of OCD obsessions. 

Triggers are powerful and can take us back to very traumatic events. What you need to do is remember that you're not that child. Even if you were left alone in this world you're an adult with adult resources and capacities that make you much less vulnerable and much more capable of surviving and thriving in this world. Please be gentle with yourself. 

I'd suggest slowing your taper. 

This can go on for years but if the taper is slow, chances of severe symptoms are low. 

Oh goodness, let’s hope not years!  actually had the same paranoid feelings when I weaned off Klonopin. They only lasted two weeks. I’ll say that Klonopin was easier to get off of. Maybe this is more difficult bc I had already weaned from Klonopin and although I was doing well, maybe not quite healed before I then started weaning from Effexor. I have been weaning from Effexor for almost 11 months. I take a 37.5mg pill plus 30 beads. Holding dose since late January, as that’s when the weird things started happening. At this point, if I could get down to 37.5mg as to not have to count out beads, I’d be happy. I’m not sure that I’ll ever be able to get all the way down. It almost seems that it’s not worth it. I feel absolutely fine when I’m not obsessing over what my husband is doing or what I think he’s doing. It’s such a weird thing. My brain feels fractured…

1994-Paxil

2005-Switched to Celexa

Posted (edited)

I know I commented on Cocaine and meth being SNDRI's...

But it's not here. What can't I quote the internet?
Serotonergic drugs cause hallucinations sometimes... Does it matter if it is an illicit or prescribed drug?
I was only talking about the science and the biological chemistry. Avoiding "ultimate statements" saying everyone is different.

But if you take any drug everyday... after a few months stopping is going to have an effect.

I can't believe my post was removed for "false med. info." How many times do I have to say I am not a Dr. ?

I put so many disclaimers on that comment. but poof it's gone. I have no strikes.
It broke a rule, or something.

Come now mods. Do you think I am wrong, or do you want to keep the website free of quotes from medical whitepapers!?

It also applied completely because of "Shadow beings" people say they see when reducing or stopping either of those street drugs.

Edited by CharlieBrown
Implications

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop Nicotine. (Cigarettes are out the window! I can breathe again.)

He's saved me more than once.

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, TheBeeHive3 said:

I was abandoned by my parents, therefore my greatest fear in life now is to be abandoned by my husband. Is it possible that weaning from Effexor has caused some type of trauma response in me? I feel like I’m going crazy when it comes to my husband. He is being really supportive, talking with me, encouraging me to go to a therapist, etc. I’ve never had a history of paranoia or hallucinations. Well, I did experience some paranoia when weaning from Klonopin in 2022, but otherwise no history of such. I’m wondering if after 30 years of antidepressants and being about 65% off of it now,  if it could be causing everything I’m experiencing. I feel like these drugs are so powerful. I want to go see someone about this, but I don’t want them to prescribe me anything. I am holding dose since late January. I just don’t know. My husband is either a completely different person than I’ve known him to be the last 23 years or I am having some type of triggered trauma. I wish I knew if anyone else has gone through anything like this. 

Yah, I have gone through something similar........kind of like ?delusions rather than hallucinations, would be how I would describe my own experience, with a little paranoia.  I can usually present myself with the facts.......I mean I never completely lose my sense of reality.  And never had such a thing pre drugs at all.    Mine will come on usually if I am spending too much time alone.  Or get to feeling overwhelmed.   And then they just dissipate.

By presenting myself with the facts I mean......I ask myself.......how likely is it that what I am feeling/thinking true?  Basic cognitive therapy I guess.  I've had trauma too, neglect and other trauma........and healthy trust does take awhile to develop.  It'll come though......I assure you and myself.  🙂

Maybe a little depersonalization/derealization on your part too?  That has happened to me anyway........and it's weird, takes some getting used to, and then improves. 

It's manageable once you know what's happening and that many of us have experienced the same.  Both delusions and DP/DR- I experienced both while on the drugs and then again as part of my protracted WD.

I hope that helps.  You are not alone.  Most therapists don't prescribe and should not be pushing drugs, although some may label and let you know that they think you might benefit somehow from drugs.  Walk away from those therapists.  Find one that suits you. 

Sounds like a ton of fears.  I too suffered, fear of everything, for awhile..........  Symptoms and Self Care has many non-drug options you can look at and read about and see how many of us have learned to cope and get and stay well enough.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022, and again finally 5/25/24.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 5/2/2024 at 9:21 PM, manymoretodays said:

Yah, I have gone through something similar........kind of like ?delusions rather than hallucinations, would be how I would describe my own experience, with a little paranoia.  I can usually present myself with the facts.......I mean I never completely lose my sense of reality.  And never had such a thing pre drugs at all.    Mine will come on usually if I am spending too much time alone.  Or get to feeling overwhelmed.   And then they just dissipate.

By presenting myself with the facts I mean......I ask myself.......how likely is it that what I am feeling/thinking true?  Basic cognitive therapy I guess.  I've had trauma too, neglect and other trauma........and healthy trust does take awhile to develop.  It'll come though......I assure you and myself.  🙂

Maybe a little depersonalization/derealization on your part too?  That has happened to me anyway........and it's weird, takes some getting used to, and then improves. 

It's manageable once you know what's happening and that many of us have experienced the same.  Both delusions and DP/DR- I experienced both while on the drugs and then again as part of my protracted WD.

I hope that helps.  You are not alone.  Most therapists don't prescribe and should not be pushing drugs, although some may label and let you know that they think you might benefit somehow from drugs.  Walk away from those therapists.  Find one that suits you. 

Sounds like a ton of fears.  I too suffered, fear of everything, for awhile..........  Symptoms and Self Care has many non-drug options you can look at and read about and see how many of us have learned to cope and get and stay well enough.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Thank you so much for the detailed response. It helps so much just to know that others have experienced similar symptoms and realize that I’m not going crazy! I appreciate your support so much. 

Blessings, 

Bee

1994-Paxil

2005-Switched to Celexa

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy