f00zzy: intro

f00zzy

Hi

male - 40's - on lexapro for 7 years - initially 10mg then up'd to 15mg. also on losec ppi, high bp meds, statins for cholesterol

lexapro made v. positve impact for anxiety and mild depression - however downside is blood pressure started to increase

and bit by bit weight (that had been steady all my life) has increased despite trying many things  diet/exercise - generally fit

convinced lex is source of weight issue - like my metabolism is out of whack

have tried tapering back to 10 - but found mood went very flat so went back to 15

want to get weight under ctrl so welcome any advice. also dont want to be on lex forever - would like to seek

alternatives ..

tnks

Edited by scallywag
tags

15mg lex, 10mg lipotor, 10mg konverge, 40mg losec

Hi and Welcome.

How quickly did you taper from 15mg to 10mg?  Can you complete an email signature with your meds history it will be easier for experts to give advice.

You have come to the correct place to get help with your taper plan and for advice when you start to feel that things are rocky.

Weight increase is a known side effect with most of the Antidepressants and I can assure you that weight will drop off as you slowly wean from the Lexapro.

Have a great day and peace to you.

DC.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

Thanks DC. updated signature now.

I tapered over a month - alternating days 15mg and 10mg until eventually dropping down to 10mg - was going fine but then after period flatness returned..

.. also had a lot of work pressure at the time - 

• Moderator Emeritus

f00zzy: -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Thanks for creating a signature. Would you add to your signature the doses and timeline you mention in your first post?

For now you'd be wise to keep things steady at 15 mg for at least a month, more may be needed to stabilize.
3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.
How long to stabilize after reinstating or updosing.

Alternating doses or skipping days can be very demanding of the CNS (central nervous system). We suggest tapering by no more than 10% per month. These topics provide more detail:
Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Here's information about Lexapro:
Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

To make tapered doses, e.g. reducing 10% from 15 mg = 13.5 mg, most people either use digital scales, get liquid medication prescribed, or make liquid from tablets and capsules.
Using a digital scale to measure doses.
Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules .

Some people find supplementing with Omega 3 fatty acids and/or magnesium to be helpful. Start with one or the other at a low dose and work your way up.
Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).
Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thanks @scallywag

Are there any natural supplements that are recommended for combatting anxiety either while tapering or afterwards ?

• Moderator Emeritus

The ones that seem to help and to cause problems for the fewest people are omega-3 fatty acids and magnesium. Other members dealing with anxiety report that magnesium has been helpful.  If you are going to use supplement, please introduce them one at a time and start with a low dose.

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker.

3KIS: Keep it slow. Keep it simple. Keep it stable.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

• Moderator Emeritus

Diet can play a role in anxiety.  It's the usual stuff - avoid caffeine, sugar and junk/processed food.  Same as we suggest for w/d, actually. 

And you can eat more of foods that are soothing.  Various ideas are discussed in these threads: 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2840-eating-as-an-activating-factor-increasing-anxiety-or-symptoms/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1229-probiotics-and-gut-health/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8469-feeling-better-green-smoothies/

I personally find oats very soothing - I eat them twice a day.  Green smoothies are useful for lowering sugar cravings (and I'm currently trying to make myself eat some...)

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks KarenB, scallywag

Am taking magnesium and will start omega 3 again. also watch caffeine and what I eat.

quite a pressure job with a lot of responsibility so timing of when I begin tapering will be important. need to start it at time can give myself best chance of success.

• Moderator Emeritus

Considering when you'll be able to handle symptoms in planning your taper is very smart, f00zzy. <<applause>>

scallywag's Introduction