Richard: Paxil tapering

Richard

Hi, this is my first post and I'm glad to be a part of this group. Seems to be a lot of good information here.

I've been on Paxil 20mg since 2010. I've gone off twice, and it was quite difficult so I went back on at 20mg. I just seem to feel more functional (and social) on it, though I don't want to rely on it anymore. I want to feel like myself again, and have my creative faculties at full strength. Not to mention my emotions. The emotional blunting and low motivation from Paxil are really affecting my quality of life.

So, about 3.5 weeks ago, I dropped down to 10mg from 20mg. That was before I found this site. I know that a 50% reduction is not so wise, and I'm starting to feel the negative effects. Depression, lethargy, suicidal at times. It sucks. 

I'd like to do this the right way– what is the best way to start again? Can I just start back at 20mg? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

empty

• Moderator Emeritus

Richard,

As you now know, a 50% reduction was too much.  At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The symptoms you are experiencing are withdrawal syndrome, the result of a too fast reduction in dosage.   

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

To start, we ask all members to create a drug signature.  This'll enable the moderators to give informed advice.  Please follow this format:

Summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include your two previous attempt to go off Paxil.

• Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug, in your case Paxil, is the only known way to alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  Then, after you stabilize (after your symptoms become manageable) you can begin a 10% taper to get the rest of the way off the Paxil.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms ...

Do not reinstate all the way back up to 20mg.   Your brain has acclimated itself to some extent to being on a lower dose and reinstatement of too large a dose can result in further destabilization.  Often a reinstatement of 1 to 5 mg is sufficient to stabilize.

Once you have completed your signature, I will ask the other moderators for their ideas about the dosage of Paxil to reinstate.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Gridley I gently point out this member is on paxil not prozac.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

nz11, thanks.  I have edited to correct.  Those p's are confusing.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Richard: Paxil tapering

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Richard any update its been 24 hours. 

What do you think about doing the drug sig.

Recovering paxil addict

Hi nz11,

Thanks for your message. I'm feeling much better now, still on 10mg. Interesting, I stopped taking a b-complex that I started 10 days ago, and things really started to get better for me. I've been known to be sensitive to supplements, especially b-complex, they tend to give me more anxiety. 

I also believe I was in the midst of a sugar crash- I'm very sensitive to sugar (recovering alcoholic), so with the b-complex and sugar crash combined, that may be what was causing me to feel not so good. I've had these sugar crashes before, and they certainly cause depression and worse. 

I'm going to stay at 10mg, and monitor my symptoms every day. I'm not planning on decreasing right away. I want to give it some time to see how I'm doing. But so far, I'm happy with how I'm feeling.

Sure, I could do the drug sig, I just need to get my dates together and I'll take care of it.

Thanks again! 

empty

Thanks for checking in.

Personally  based on my experience I would have updosed. 

Being through paxil wdl I am familiar on how this may play out. We are all different I guess maybe you are the majority who have very little wdl difficulties. But I guess its your call. The symptoms sounded like ssri wdl to me rather than a sugar crash and they may get a lot worse. Seriously. You like myself had two prior failed escape attempts.

You say, "I've gone off twice, and it was quite difficult so I went back on at 20mg. "

Based on your prior experience and knowing that you have currently cut by 50% on this attempt I'm not sure if things will be any different this time. In fact the thought they could be seriously worse concerns me. What do you think?

For me  I found the wdl got increasingly worse with each successive wdl attempt.

Wdl may  be delayed for a month or two, or three. When it hits it may be prolonged. 

I'm glad you are not planning to decrease anymore. Please don't even think about such a move.

Please do keep posting and checking in on your progress. 

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• Moderator Emeritus

Please do not taper any further for quite some time.  Let your CNS stabilize.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

50 minutes ago, Richard said:

Sure, I could do the drug sig, I just need to get my dates together and I'll take care of it.

This will be helpful to all if you could do it.

Thanks 

Recovering paxil addict

I agree... I have no intention of tapering for quite a while.

nz11, I understand your concern, and I'm not saying your completely incorrect. However, those two prior times that I went off Paxil, my life situation was not good, and I was actively drinking alcohol. I know it was terrible timing.

I've updated my signature, hopefully I did it correctly...

empty

Okay so what you are saying is the difficulty in the past was due to a life situation and also alcohol and on this occasion it is due to a sugar crash and b vitamins. All these  have coincided with a withdrawal attempt.

No disrespect to your previous situations and this one but I have to say I don't know so much.

By the way were you aware that ssris like paxil can actually be the cause for worsening  alcohol issues.

Its well worth your while to spend time reading some of the very informative info on this site. 

Please do keep posting updates.

oh just noticed you did your drug sig well done thanks for taking the time to do that.

Recovering paxil addict

Yes, they have coincided. I'm not saying that I didn't have negative effects from the paxil withdrawal in the past. I'm sure that I did. But I also believe that if my life situation had been different and I had more of a healthy, balanced lifestyle with more support in place, I may not have felt the need to reinstate the paxil.

I am aware of the alcohol/ssri connection, and I think it was causing me issues. However, I was abusing alcohol since my teen years, with or without ssri.

empty

8 hours ago, Richard said:

I also believe that if my life situation had been different and I had more of a healthy, balanced lifestyle with more support in place, I may not have felt the need to reinstate the paxil.

Healthy lifestyle and support are important things to have in place when getting off these drugs however what is most essential is a safe taper method.

imo, all other things pale into insignificance in the light of the taper method. 

The 10% method rec here will take 3 years at least if starting from 20mg. The taper is key. Is this the sort of timeframe you are considering? 

10 hours ago, Richard said:

I want to give it some time to see how I'm doing. But so far, I'm happy with how I'm feeling.

This statement rather surprised me to be honest especially when 24 hours prior you said this...

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 3:17 PM, Richard said:

I know that a 50% reduction is not so wise, and I'm starting to feel the negative effects. Depression, lethargy, suicidal at times. It sucks. 

I'd like to do this the right way– what is the best way to start again? Can I just start back at 20mg? Any input would be appreciated

Withdrawal can have good and bad days. It appears this could be the case here. 

I applaud your desire and willingness to want to get off this drug but please don't be too hasty at dismissing the updose. Maybe give it some more thought.

May I ask if you have started to recently experience uncharacteristic emotional moments ....like for example....crying spells or tearfulness, say ?

How about, Diarrhea ? nausea? In the waking hours of the morning being woken by an inner distress and/or psychological torment? 

Goodness you are already suffering a most serious withdrawal  symptom being suicidal thoughts because of this wdl can be  a life threatening medical emergency. 

You don't need to do this to yourself.

I am so glad you have found this site ...it is not by accident imo.

This site is a place desired by many but found by few.

regards

nz11 

Recovering paxil addict

nz11, I would appreciate if you take a step back and give me some breathing room. Please don't nitpick on everything I've written. I have a good deal of knowledge and wisdom regarding my own mind and body than what I have *chosen* to include in my brief posts, certainly more than you. Your intention may be to help, but you are making assumptions in the process.

3 hours ago, nz11 said:

May I ask if you have started to recently experience uncharacteristic emotional moments ....like for example....crying spells or tearfulness, say ?

How about, Diarrhea ? nausea? In the waking hours of the morning being woken by an inner distress and/or psychological torment? 

Goodness you are already suffering a most serious withdrawal  symptom being suicidal thoughts because of this wdl can be  a life threatening medical emergency. 

You don't need to do this to yourself.

None. The suicidal thoughts are gone, and now that I'm out of the haze, I know what caused them.  

empty

sure, no problem. 

Apologies for assuming.

Glad you are feeling better and glad you found this site and are adding your valuable voice and experience to it.

best wishes

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Richard - how you going?

For some reason, your signature comes up 

"empty"

Literally empty (I've never seen that before).

Can you please make another go at updating your signature?  It's important that every post you make has that with it, so that we can clearly see what has happened to you and where you are in your journey.

Thanks!

I hope you see the sun today,

JanCarol

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Greetings Richard

I am so glad you found sa.

If there is anything I have said that has offended or hurt you then I sincerely apologise. I certainly did not intend to say something in the wrong way or in a hurtful way.

It would be great to hear from you . 

I know how difficult this journey is and I am so sorry 

i won’t post again in your thread.

kind regards healing and best wishes

nz11

Recovering paxil addict

7 hours ago, Longestroadhome said:

Hi Richard, Just wanted to stop by and say 'Hi'. I am a recovering alcoholic. I am 15 months sober. I used alcohol to self medicate for many years. Quitting was hard, the first three months the hardest. There is such a thing as Alcohol Withdrawal or PAWS which is often talked about by Bill W the founder of AA. On top of withdrawal from AD it is quite the journey! But personally I must say that after six months I started to feel a LOT better without alcohol in my life. The biggest bonus was a good nights sleep, hadn't had that in years. And you are quite correct in saying that sugar is an issue with people who abuse alcohol. The two go hand in hand I think. After six months I noticed my sugar cravings dropped drastically. I can even say no to chocolate these days which is a big thing for me!!!

Hi LRM and Richard .I'm reading a lot of members have given the Alcohol the boot ,this is something we should be very proud of ,maybe a specific thread should be set up for us members that achieve sobriety .

We should all be proud.

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 12:34 AM, Richard said:

Yes, they have coincided. I'm not saying that I didn't have negative effects from the paxil withdrawal in the past. I'm sure that I did. But I also believe that if my life situation had been different and I had more of a healthy, balanced lifestyle with more support in place, I may not have felt the need to reinstate the paxil.

I am aware of the alcohol/ssri connection, and I think it was causing me issues. However, I was abusing alcohol since my teen years, with or without ssri.

Hi Richard welcome .total kudos to you for your sobriety ,I also have abused alcohol since my teen years ,best thing I ever did giving it up.

Good luck on your  tapering  and recovery .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

11 hours ago, Longestroadhome said:

Congratulations on 2 years alcohol free!

I'm 3  years and 42 seconds  :D.ye very proud but I am also angry looking back on my past ,I am slowly realising why I loved alcohol from the first time I touched it when a teenager.

The only thing ide be afraid of with setting up a thread is it wouldn't be monitored all the time  for people that are in the early stages of giving up and they will need hands on help like AA .but a thread to converse would be cool . 

congrats yourself on sobriety .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.