My Cymbalta story by lundeliz

lundeliz

Hey OnaRage, thanks for checking on me!  I've hit a bad wave and having awful akathisia

and headaches.  It has been constant pacing the last couple of days.  I'm ready to see that

window soon.  Are you still in your window?  I hope so and hope things are going well for 

you.

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lundeliz

• Altostrata

• luv2knit

• Meimeiquest

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sorry you are still suffering so much.  I lost my window on my husband's birthday and now I'm sick but, I'm hanging in there.  It's funny how fast the suicidal thoughts return when my window closes.  I had some akathisia last night too.  I've just never had it as bad as you have it.  I thought of you and thanked my lucky stars and sent you some positive thoughts.  Maybe those thoughts will reach you soon and you'll have some relief.   I think about you often.  I will be sure to post more often so you know you're not alone and that there are others who care.

Sending a huge hug your way!

Celexa 20 mg from 4/28/11 to 9/28/11 - RESULT - Didn't help enough.  Was moved to a new medication.  Med prescribed by PCP with diag of GAD and AD.

Zoloft 50 mg from 9/29/11 to 10/17/11 - RESULT - Symptoms getting worse not better.  Moved to a new medication

Prozac 20 mg from 10/18/11 to 11/1/11 - RESULT - It made me homocidal.  That was new to me!  So fun!  :-(

Effexor 75 mg to 150 mg  from 11/2/11 to 6/9/12 - RESULT - Requested increase in dose as a work situation triggered PTSD and severe depression

Zoloft 25 mg to 150 mg from 7/9/12 to 11/6/12

Zoloft 200 mg from 11/7/12 to 5/13/13 - RESULT - Medication not working.  Was graduated off this too quickly by an emergency PNP who diagnosed me as BP

BUSPAR 30 mg from 1/4/13 to 5/13/13 - RESULT - one 10 mg tab 3x/day - RESULT - Severe hot flashes, lethargy, unable to function

Lamictal 50 mg 4/17/13 to 5/13/13 - RESULT - new PNP told me Lamictal could kill me and that we needed to transition me off immediately.  Tried again for three days in March 2015.  Had severe chest pains on day 2 so quit taking.

Dropped all meds after going to yet another psychiatrist who gave me yet another diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder and wanted to change meds again.

Cymbalta 30 mg to 60 mg to 20 mg from 12/27/13 to 2/24/15 then stopped taking altogether until 3/23 when reinstated 10 beads.

Ativan .5 to 1 mg as needed since 2011 (at least).  Not a daily med.  Used mostly during periods of detox from antidepressants.  Stopped taking in March 2015 due to fear of dependency and risk of causing further depression.

Thank you OnaRage, I so appreciate those positive thoughts.  I'm so sorry your window closed,

but you can be sure there will be another one coming.  It really does mean a lot to have your 

support and encouragement.  (((Hugs))) for you too!

2006-Cymbalta 60mg for lyme disease2009-Quit Cymbalta c/tFeb. 2010-Reinstated 60mg CymMar.2010 to May.2012 tapered Cym to 36mgMay 2012-Crossed over to 30mg CelexaMay 2012-Oct.2013 Tapered Celexa down to 2.5mgOct.2013-Switched to 30 beads CymbaltaDec.4,2013-Stopped Cymbalta at 17 beads<p>Akathisia hit at 6 wks off and continuesNow taking melatonin when needed for sleep.

It has been the most difficult day I believe I have had yet.  Pacing and mental torture all day long,

and it continues tonight.  I haven't had that evening lift of symptoms tonight.  Agitation is still sky

high.  Face is red and flushed, and chest is tight.  I've had nausea all day long.  I just took a Vistaril,

and took my melatonin.  Dear God, I don't think I can do this again tomorrow.  I feel so very very

sick.  I just don't know what to do.  

Lundeliz,

My goodness, I am so very very sorry for how miserable you are feeling!!!

Praying that you sleep well tonight! and that a window comes soon!

All that I can give you at this point is what I can remember. Will add more after I've called the zillions of doctors that I've had over the past 30 years. I have spent all day calling old insurance co's, etc to get the long list of doctors names that I once had, so will update this someday. Unfortunately, most records are no longer available. :(

Haven't started tapering yet. Will.

Currently am on:

• Cymbalta 60 mg/ daily - actually taking the generic for it. It is called Duloxetine
  • Wellbutrin XL 150 mg/ daily - taking the generic for this. It is called Bupropion XL
  • Naturethroid 3/4 grain/ daily - this is a natural dessicated thyroid med for my Hypothyroidism
  • Relpax only take as needed - for migraines

FINALLY started tapering Cymbalta by 5% reduction May 5, 2016

Liz, I'm so very sorry. I've had the same. Praying you get some relief soon.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Liz,

How is it going today?

All that I can give you at this point is what I can remember. Will add more after I've called the zillions of doctors that I've had over the past 30 years. I have spent all day calling old insurance co's, etc to get the long list of doctors names that I once had, so will update this someday. Unfortunately, most records are no longer available. :(

Currently am on:

• Cymbalta 60 mg/ daily - actually taking the generic for it. It is called Duloxetine
  • Wellbutrin XL 150 mg/ daily - taking the generic for this. It is called Bupropion XL
  • Naturethroid 3/4 grain/ daily - this is a natural dessicated thyroid med for my Hypothyroidism

Thank you guys.  After the Vistaril and melatonin I did sleep well.  I'm still feeling really sick.

I'm worried about my blood pressure, but terrified to check it.  I can't tolerate the bp meds at all.

I'm trying my best to just stay as calm as possible today, but I'm getting more and more revved

up as the day progresses.   I'm hanging in there though, and trying to stay as positive as possible.

I still have a splitting headache.  Thanks for checking in with me.  I really appreciate it.

Hang in there, Liz. My bp and pulse have really fluctuated throughout WD--especially with the akathisia. Amazingly, it has not gone or stayed very high.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thanks luv, I just checked mine. It is 189/96.  My head is throbbing.  I'm not at all sure the

headache is connected to the bp though.  I know that high bp is nothing to fool around with,

so I'm not sure what to do.  I've tried several meds that I just couldn't tolerate, so how do I get

it down?  I can push through symptoms that just feel horrific, but how do you push through

something that could be really dangerous?  I don't know, I'm confused.  I wish it would go away!

Liz,

I know that you don't want to, Liz, but it sounds like you may need to get yourself to E.R. Is there someone at home with you right now?

Currently am on:

Wonder if the meds that you were given caused your bp to go so high?

Please get help immediately. Your bp is in dangerous zone, friend!

Currently am on:

Liz,  My bp goes way up too when I have bad akathisia.  I'm so sorry that you're having to experience this horrible wave.  I wish I knew something that would lower your bp but I don't.  I'm taking a alpha blocker which was given to me for akathisia two years ago.  Sometimes tho, when I've had a bad reaction to a drug or change in the drugs I'm taking, I get akathisia really bad again.  So I don't know if the bp med actually helps or not.. 

Am praying for you, that this will "peak" and drop off again as it has in the past.   Love to you.

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

Thank you everyone for the concern.   I have some bp meds here that I have tried before.  They

revved my akathisia up, and I don't know if they control my bp, but I took a quarter of a benicar.

Will check my bp again in a little while.  This isn't the first bp crisis I have had during wd.  Once

when I was tapering off the AD, and still on full dose bp meds, my bp went up to 230/113.  It 

really scared me.  It freaks me out because the bp meds ramp up the akathisia so bad.  Selma,

I haven't taken my bp during a bad akathisia episode, but I bet mine goes sky high too.   I will

probably get to the dr. and see if we can find something I can take.  Thanks very much to everyone.

Oh, Liz!  No!  That just sucks!  Wish I lived closer or that I had a useful suggestion.  I can and will send positive and healing thoughts your way again today.  Please take care of YOU!  ((((((HUGS!))))))

Celexa 20 mg from 4/28/11 to 9/28/11 - RESULT - Didn't help enough.  Was moved to a new medication.  Med prescribed by PCP with diag of GAD and AD.

Zoloft 50 mg from 9/29/11 to 10/17/11 - RESULT - Symptoms getting worse not better.  Moved to a new medication

Prozac 20 mg from 10/18/11 to 11/1/11 - RESULT - It made me homocidal.  That was new to me!  So fun!  :-(

Effexor 75 mg to 150 mg  from 11/2/11 to 6/9/12 - RESULT - Requested increase in dose as a work situation triggered PTSD and severe depression

Zoloft 200 mg from 11/7/12 to 5/13/13 - RESULT - Medication not working.  Was graduated off this too quickly by an emergency PNP who diagnosed me as BP

BUSPAR 30 mg from 1/4/13 to 5/13/13 - RESULT - one 10 mg tab 3x/day - RESULT - Severe hot flashes, lethargy, unable to function

Lamictal 50 mg 4/17/13 to 5/13/13 - RESULT - new PNP told me Lamictal could kill me and that we needed to transition me off immediately.  Tried again for three days in March 2015.  Had severe chest pains on day 2 so quit taking.

Dropped all meds after going to yet another psychiatrist who gave me yet another diagnosis of Borderline Personality Disorder and wanted to change meds again.

Cymbalta 30 mg to 60 mg to 20 mg from 12/27/13 to 2/24/15 then stopped taking altogether until 3/23 when reinstated 10 beads.

Ativan .5 to 1 mg as needed since 2011 (at least).  Not a daily med.  Used mostly during periods of detox from antidepressants.  Stopped taking in March 2015 due to fear of dependency and risk of causing further depression.

I'm so thankful I was able to get off the bp meds with supplements BEFORE I went off the Zoloft, and that I have been able to continue taking those supplements. I'm also thankful my doc has a brain in her head, and could see I no longer needed the meds. I also think the Zoloft caused my BP to go up. End result--mine seldom goes above 130/80. Average is about 115/75. My akathisia is ramped up sky high, and my BP is 108/73. My pulse, however, is 98. Hope you can find something to help you manage it, Liz, that doesn't ramp you up!

Thank you OnaRage. (((Hugs))) to you.

That's fantastic Luv! And thank you!

Thank you everyone for the concern.   I have some bp meds here that I have tried before.  They

revved my akathisia up, and I don't know if they control my bp, but I took a quarter of a benicar.

Will check my bp again in a little while.  This isn't the first bp crisis I have had during wd.  Once

when I was tapering off the AD, and still on full dose bp meds, my bp went up to 230/113.  It 

really scared me.  It freaks me out because the bp meds ramp up the akathisia so bad.  Selma,

I haven't taken my bp during a bad akathisia episode, but I bet mine goes sky high too.   I will

probably get to the dr. and see if we can find something I can take.  Thanks very much to everyone.

I am so sorry it's all so hard. My new pdoc recommended olive leaf extract if my bp spikes again, which it hasn't yet. Supplements that have helped my bp, I think, are inositol, taurine, and magnesium. It's hard to know for sure when using multiple things.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Praying for you right now. Just wanted to let you know. :)

Currently am on:

Thank you so much felin. That is so appreciated. Meimei, I will definitely check

out the OLE. I haven't heard of that for high bp. Thank you. Last night my bp was

back to normal. Hoping it was just a bad day.

The supplements I take for my bp are Neptune Krill Oil, Ubiquinol, and Astaxanthin. If a person weren't sensitive, I imagine any of them could be taken in WD. (Krill Oil is just a form of fish oil that crosses the blood-brain barrier, and I do know someone who took Uniquinol for WD symptoms). That's interesting about the olive leaf extract. Garlic and magnesium I have also heard of. Surprisingly, I cannot take ANYTHING that I was not already taking, but I was able to take garlic during my recent respiratory virus (for 10 days).

That's very encouraging that it was down last night!

Thanks luv. I started back on garlic today and do take magnesium. I sure appreciate all the suggestions.

Helps to know what works for others. Today is a little bit better. Akathisia is in full swing but  headache

hasnt gotten severe.

Damn big Pharma!

Currently am on:

It's unbelievable felin.  I never imagined meds could cause this.  I wish none of us

had to find out.

Hi Liz - Just wanted to say that I've been thinking about you.  I'm still in a window and enjoying every minute.  Just know that your's must be coming.  I never thought mine would!  Hang in there!  Sending big hugs to you tonight!

Hi Liz,

Checkin' in to see how you are doing today??

Currently am on:

Thank you both so much for the support. Still having a very rough time,

trying to hang in there. OnaRage, so glad you are still enjoying that great window.

Hope it lasts and I can't wait to join you.

It was a short night, slept about 3 hrs.  I never expected to be getting sicker and sicker

at this point.  My stomach is so sick, and feels like the agitation is just boiling up from

my stomach.  I'm trying to stay in bed as long as possible, but the agitation is building

and I'll have to get up soon.  The bottom of my feet burn, maybe from pacing all day

yesterday.  My eyes are burning like they did in the first few months.  Is this going to 

keep getting worse?  I'm so weak and shaky. I'm so scared, and I just don't know how

to keep getting through the days.  They are so long and it doesn't feel like each day

is getting closer to recovery, it just feels like another day of torment dragging me down

even further.   Wish I knew how to do this.

Sorry it's been so rough, Liz. I can't really answer your questions. I often find myself asking the same ones. I'm sure eventually things will even out. Hoping you get a nice long window soon.

I empathise-also feel like things are getting worse almost 1 yr. off-can't believe this is happening-only took for 6 mos.-I'm scared

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Thank you luv. I'm sorry you are suffering too direstraits. I can't believe it either.

Let's try to stay strong and hang in there.

Liz, I feel exactly the way you do. It's as though you wrote my thoughts word for word. God bless you, dear Liz. I'll keep praying for you. Your journey through this suffering will be short-lived. Love you. Pug

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

Gosh, you all. I am so sad for you each. Truly!

Liz, are you taking any new meds as of the past few weeks?

Currently am on:

Sending love and healing thoughts to you all!  

Thank you Pug and felin. No, nothing new. Pug, I'm so sorry for your

suffering. Your words made me cry. I wish this would be short lived

but it really feels like there is no end. Thank you so much for the prayers.

I'll also pray for you all.