takesforever90: basically didn't taper

takesforever90

My first post here, its mostly a vent

I was on 40mg celexa for about 5 years and tapered from the 40 to 20 over about a month(wouldn't do it again) but then did something really dumb and c/t of the 20.(again never again)

its now been 3 1/2 months and it had been an experience to say the least. everyone knows the mental symptoms so ill just sum it up and say utter desperation.

the odd thing is that i haven't had one physical symptom. maybe one brain zap but other than that none.

the funny thing is when i jumped off at 20 i was more anxiety free than i think id ever been and almost kind of euphoric, but then after 4 days the deep depression started. ive gone from deep depression

to the point i didnt really get that anxious because i was so sad,(6 times in a day bawling is my record) then depressed with anxiety, now all over the place and im having cortisol rushes but not when i

initially wake up only when i go back to sleep or have a nap or something then my heart feels like its gonna pop when i wake up. everything seems to get better in the evening/night ive noticed but then

when morning comes its all back again.

honestly i feel like i dont even know who i am anymore.

every interest, hobby, desire, goal has done a complete 180. (this happened to anyone else?)

now that ive been off i realize how much it made me not happy not sad but satisfied in my couch potato state for the last few years.

one of the worst parts are the continuous thoughts.

i dont want to live anymore.

will this ever end?

is this just how i am?

what if it gets worse?

should i go on another ssri?

etc.

my question is its probably way too late at this point to reinstate right? not that i would anyway as im currently so indecisive i cant even decide the simplest of things so...

kinda off topic

roughly a year ago i also got off 1mg klonipin that i had been on for 5 years. i was thinking this cant possibly be as bad as that was, well... i was wrong on that one.

funny enough the klonipin withdrawal only lasted a month and i never had a problem after. maybe it was because i was on the celexa during that idk.

1mg Klonipin: was on since about 2012, been off since Feb 2017(withdrawal lasted only a month)

been on various anti-depressants since 2007 or so

40mg celexa: was on for roughly 6-7 years and tapered from 40 to 20 over a month than jumped off at 20mg. Now been off for 5 months with no signs of improvement

• ChessieCat changed the title to takesforever90: basically didn't taper
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, takesforever90, and welcome to SA.  I'm sorry you're having these symptoms.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.
At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.
Your 50% drop from 40mg to 20mg and the subsequent cold turkey is the reason you are having these withdrawal symptoms.  Ruminative continuing thoughts are a typical withdrawal symptom, as are apathy and anhedonia (inability to experience pleasure).

To get you started, and familiarized with the protocols followed by SA, I am linking a few topics so that you have a better understanding of what is recommended here. 

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.   

It is suggested that when a person tapered and the last dose was 1-3 months ago, go back to a very low dose, maybe 2mg, to start with, increase after a week if it helped but isn't enough.  You are just outside that time frame so reinstatement could work for you.  If 2mg helps but isn't enough, increase slightly . If it doesn't help or makes symptoms worse, stop immediately.  Ultimately the decision is yours, but thought I should bring this to your attention so that you can make the best decision regarding your health and well-being.  

Please read the first few post of this topic on reinstatement.:

We do not recommend you switch to another SSRI.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 1 month later...

I went off Celexa 40mg down to 20mg over a month and then went off the 20mg cold turkey. it has now been 5 months and the symptoms are not showing signs of improving.(severe symptoms still) I have been so hypersensitive that i can literally eat a taco or burger and i have a very noticeable calming almost euphoric feeling. i assume im getting some tryptophan or some type of vitamin from the meat thats causing this.

I gave in last night and took a crumb(cant describe it any other way) of a Zoloft i had. within 15 minutes i felt different and had a kind of enjoyable feeling in my forehead area and today i feel noticeably less depressed although im still pretty bad.

Any opinions on if should i reinstate with the Zoloft now that ive taken the crumb and try and level off or should i stop since im so far into this already?

1mg Klonipin: was on since about 2012, been off since Feb 2017(withdrawal lasted only a month)

40mg celexa: was on for roughly 6-7 years and tapered from 40 to 20 over a month than jumped off at 20mg. Now been off for 5 months with no signs of improvement

• Administrator

Hello, takesforever. Please post questions about your particular situation in your Introductions topic.

As Gridley said on Feb. 25:

On 2/25/2018 at 11:22 AM, Gridley said:
Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.   

It is suggested that when a person tapered and the last dose was 1-3 months ago, go back to a very low dose, maybe 2mg, to start with, increase after a week if it helped but isn't enough.  You are just outside that time frame so reinstatement could work for you.  If 2mg helps but isn't enough, increase slightly . If it doesn't help or makes symptoms worse, stop immediately.  Ultimately the decision is yours, but thought I should bring this to your attention so that you can make the best decision regarding your health and well-being.  

Please read the first few post of this topic on reinstatement.:

This topic explains how to take a small dose of Celexa Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

Why did you have Zoloft? To help us out, see these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

there is no way i could come up with even 1/4th of my med history. however ive been on anti-depressants for probably more than 11 years and the celexa for about 6-7 and now off for 5 months

i had never taken zoloft before. i remember reading something that it might be better  to reinstate with a different med than the one you got off of i thought, although i cant really remember anything much right now.

the crumb of zoloft was fine untill about 18 hours after the dose. i never had ANY physical symptoms before but now i had multiple bad physical symptoms. although its not as bad now about 40 hours after the zoloft. (bad headache, body ache, heart feelings, hands would spaz out)

ive been so confused during all of this and cant really put together what to do honestly. im so extremely hypersensitive to basically everything

bad thing is i dont really know what normal is to me as ive been on this kind of stuff since i was about 15

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand and am sorry about your situation.  

Can you just put in your signature how much Celexa you were on, when you stopped, and whether you tapered or did cold-turkey?   

Here is the link to write your signature.  It can be very brief and just the recent drug(s).

Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 2018-04-16 at 8:03 PM, takesforever90 said:

bad thing is i dont really know what normal is to me as ive been on this kind of stuff since i was about 15

Sorry this happened to you. Growing up on these drugs can can really mess with how see ourselves. You'll get through it. 

2004: Clonazepam and Celexa. 2005 - 2006: Effexor, then increased to high dose, then switched to Valproate and Seroquel. 2007: Wellbutrin + Strattera + Celexa. 2007 - 2008: Wellbutrin + Adderall + Paxil. 2008 - 2012: Wellbutrin + occasional SSRIs when I had worsened "depression", which happened around 4 times, usually after CT of WB. 2012 - 2014: WB + Sertraline, then WB + Pristiq (awful W/D) then WB + rTMS, then ketamine. 2014 - 2016: Wellbutrin 200 mg + Abilify 4 mg + Adderall 20-40 mg + Cipralex 20 mg. Oct 2016: "Tapered" Cipralex, felt outrageously anxious, irritable. Dec 2016: "Tapered" Adderall, then felt depressed, hopeless, fatigued.  Feb 6 2017: reinstated 20 mg Adderall. Mar 2017: switched to Vyvanse, upped to 30 mg. May - Aug 2017: "Tapered" Vyvanse + Abilify to zero. Oct 25, 2017: Wellbutrin from 200 to 100 mg. Sep 10, 2018:  Wellbutrin from 90 to 60 mg. Oct 29, 2018: WB from 60 to 50 mg. Dec 19, 2018: WB from 50 to 45 mg. Apr 15, 2019: WB 41 mg. May 14, 2019: WB 37 mg. Jun 8, 2019: WB 33 mg. Jul 22: WB 30 mg, then down by around 10% per month. Aug 2020: 0

Working hard to take my life back. Anything I say here is as a friend or peer supporter; it is not medical advice.

I cant figure out what to do. i cant stop crying and having suicidal thoughts

i keep pacing, think ive started having some minor akathisia now on top of it all

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, TF90. I have been where you are now. it's a horrible place to be.

You only really have 2 choices. You can either wait for things to improve, which they eventually will, but this could take a very long time and things might get worse before they get better, or you can try to reinstate a small amount (1 or 2 mg) celexa and then once things have settled down you can slowly taper off.

If you haven't done so already then definitely check out Reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

I had to wrestle with this dilema myself, although I wasn't as long off celexa as you are. It's a tough call, but reinstatement is still an option if withdrawal is becoming unbearable. 

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.