On December 21, 2017, my father and I went to psychiatrist because my brain cant stop from thinking and I cant sleep that much.

I was diagnosed having Adjustment Disorder with mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood.
The doctor gave Risperidone. He said I need it to relax my mind and to help me to sleep.

Taking it for 1 month, I experienced that I cant breathe through my nose, numbness in my thumb, some tingling in my hands, and got my eyes darken.

I really dont know that these were side effects.

Im so out of hope now, because i feel so regretful taking Risperidone (meds) for 2months and 1 week. I was on 1mg of it for 1month and then when i told my doctor that I cant sleep he increased it to 2mg (i took 2mg of it for 3wks) then i tried to taper it down to 1mg for i think almost a week. But theres one night came I cant sleep and cant breathe so, I quickly stop taking the Risperidone.

Also, my father and I told about my situation to the doctor but it seems like he has no care :(.
He said that I can stop the meds if i want to.
If only I knew that the doctor is like that I never went to a psychiatrist :(

These are what I feel. I cant sleep normally. I cant be myself. I used to be the one opening up a conversation and sharing stories but now i dont feel like to.

Most painful of all is that... I cant feel. I cant feel the emotions. I feel like numb. I cant do my passion-music and arts. I love singing, dancing, and acting. I cant feel the emotions when im watching or when people are talking. I cant also feel the empathy and sympathy. I used to be an expressive and a happy person. I cant feel i am myself.

Its been 1 month and 2 days off of it.
I experienced little numbness in my left arm. I told it to my mother then she massaged it. The numbness gone after that.

I think there's an improvement in my sleep.
Sometimes I can sleep but I dont know if I really sleep.

I regret that I did not continue reading about Risperidone before taking it :(

I dont know how to live like this. Im hoping that my brain (all in it) will heal and repair itself.

I took Risperidone for 2months and 1 week(almost 3months). I was on 1mg of it for 1month and then when i told my doctor that I cant sleep he increased it to 2mg (i took 2mg of it for 3wks) then i tried to taper it down to 1mg for i think almost a week. But theres one night came I cant feel, I cant sleep, and i cant breathe so, I quickly stop taking the Risperidone (cold turkey).

Topic link: 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Byul: Risperidone :(
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Byul, welcome to SA. I am sorry that you are in this situation.  You have been off risperidone for 1 month and your brain is working hard to regain normality. Don't be afraid,  you will recover but it takes time. While you are healing you need to take good care of yourself. Eat good healthy food, fresh fruit and vegetables. Organic is best if possible but we know not everyone can get organic food so wash it carefully if it is not organic.  Same with meat, organic if possible.  Avoid caffeine and alcohol until you are feeling better. In time you may be able to reintroduce them.  You will experience some windows and waves, with times when you feel terrible then times when you feel better. This is your brain healing itself from the drug reaction and withdrawal.  

While this healing is happening you need to look at why you were in the state you were in when your father took you to the psychiatrist and work on ways to avoid that happening again. Psychiatrists have labels for everything and anyone who walks into their office will leave with a diagnosis of some mental illness! 

If I take a guess it will be that you are staying on the computer or phone until late at night?  Most young people do, in fact very many older people do too!  When you turn off the screen your brain takes time to shut down and rest. It tales at least an hour, more if you have been looking at the screen for a long time. Playing games stimulates the brain and puts it into high alert. It is very hard to switch off your brain and you need to be away from the games for at least 2 hours before going to bed.  You need a good bedtime routine, no screen for 2 hours. Peace and calm just talking with someone or reading. A bath or shower before bed is good and a dark room is good too. If you can do that you will find that the thoughts can slow down and your brain can relax to sleep. When your sleep has improved you will feel much better.   

We ask all our members to fill in their signature with details of ONLY drugs and doses, no symptoms. This link takes you to the signature page. Fill it in and press save. 

I will find some links for you that will help you to understand what is happening. There is a lot to read, but you don't have to read them all right away, they are right here at the top of your topic so you can find them easily. 

What is withdrawal syndrome 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

The windows and waves pattern

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

You will find many topics on diet and supplements etc here

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-treatments-diet/

The only supplements we recommend to everyone are magnesium and fish oil. They v=can be really helpful but start one at a time at small doses and increase gradually. Fish il is good for the brain and magnesium is calming. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Important topics on non drug ways of coping with emotional problems

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1112-non-drug-techniques-to-cope-with-emotional-symptoms/

You will find help with sleep probems if you scroll down this page of topics on symptoms

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/604-important-topics-about-symptoms-including-sleep-problems/

Edited by mammaP

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you mammaP. I just updated my signature.

Will emotions or feelings come back? :(

I took Risperidone for 2months and 1 week(almost 3months). I was on 1mg of it for 1month and then when i told my doctor that I cant sleep he increased it to 2mg (i took 2mg of it for 3wks) then i tried to taper it down to 1mg for i think almost a week. But theres one night came I cant feel, I cant sleep, and i cant breathe so, I quickly stop taking the Risperidone (cold turkey).

Topic link: 

Experiencing headache and neck and back pain this past few days, but these are getting better now.

I can sleep but i dont know why i am always having different dreams.

I can sing and play guitar but still I cant feel much like before.

Ohhh I really miss those feelings :(

Topic link: 

Sometimes I experience chest pain (cant breathe normally) but now it is slowly getting better too.

I can do some housechores, exercises, and dancing but I easily get tired. Still im forcing myself to do those things.

Topic link: 

Hi Byul

you might try reading Risperdalhater's introduction thread.   he recovered from risperdone after taking it for 3 weeks and losing most of his feeling and libido.  it took him about a year, but he said he is close to back to normal now.   He also said that taking Niacin helped with his energy levels.

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

Hi Poetjester.

Yes yes yes. It is really inspiring.

Thank you :)

By the way, I saw your comment for jeancine's topic on 2016.

Do you know how is she now?

Does her anhedonia gone?

Topic link: 

36 minutes ago, PoetJester said:

Hi Byul

you might try reading Risperdalhater's introduction thread.   he recovered from risperdone after taking it for 3 weeks and losing most of his feeling and libido.  it took him about a year, but he said he is close to back to normal now.   He also said that taking Niacin helped with his energy levels.

Poetjester

Thank you :)

Topic link: 

https://www.quora.com/Can-antipsychotics-leave-you-permanently-tired

are you still tired? or have you recovered, i am also taking risperidone 2mg

risperidone 5mg on 17 december 2017

4mg from 15/1/2018

3mg from 23/1/2018

2 mg from 27/3/2018

fluoxetine 20mg started 15/12/2017,stopped 15/1/2018

1/1/2019 80 mg lurasidone

2/1/2019 40 mg lurasidone

3/1/2019 stopped

29/5/2019 20 mg lurasidone 

7/6/2019 10 mg lurasidone 27/6/2019 5 mg lurasidone 30/11/2019 2 mg lurasidone 30/12/2019 1.66 mg lurasidone

Taking 40mg lurasidone and its helping a lot, don't stop your antipsychotic if you suffer from psychotic symptoms

4 hours ago, swordiebrom said:

https://www.quora.com/Can-antipsychotics-leave-you-permanently-tired

are you still tired? or have you recovered, i am also taking risperidone 2mg

Hi swordiebrom.

I also experienced having robotic movements while on this drug.

My mother noticed it.

Robotic movements is now gone.

I have seen improvements in my energy this time but sometimes I still get tired. Most of the time I feel lazy..maybe because of anhedonia.

Topic link: 

We do not have money to go for any check ups.

I experienced sudden drop of my BP.

Im thankful that my mother monitors my blood pressure(BP). 

We noticed also that I cannot sleep everytime my blood pressure drops.

So, I drink camote tops leaves (sweet potato leaves) and malunggay leaves (moringa) juice. It helps a lot! :)

Topic link: 

Sometimes, I get vitamin D from sunlight, I go for walks, and I exercise.

I eat healthy foods and take herbal supplements.

Reading the Bible and praying to God are the most powerful thing to help me get through with this.

Strengthening our spiritual life is very important.

Topic link: 

Hi again, Byul

i don't know what happened to Jeancine.  We messaged back and forth a little bit, but that was 1 1/2 years ago.   She is still checking up on this forum so hopefully she is doing ok.   

i read your comment about the camote tops leaves.  i have serious problems with my bowel movements now and i had read on another forum online of someone from Vietnam who had the same issues as i have, using them for her constipation problems.  i wanted to try them but i am wondering where i can find them in the U.S. ?

Poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

2 minutes ago, PoetJester said:

Hi again, Byul

i don't know what happened to Jeancine.  We messaged back and forth a little bit, but that was 1 1/2 years ago.   She is still checking up on this forum so hopefully she is doing ok.   

i read your comment about the camote tops leaves.  i have serious problems with my bowel movements now and i had read on another forum online of someone from Vietnam who had the same issues as i have, using them for her constipation problems.  i wanted to try them but i am wondering where i can find them in the U.S. ?

Poetjester

Hello Poetjester.

I dont know too if US has that plant.

Oh. I just remembered I also had that constipation problem when I got down to 1mg of the drug. I had it for 1 week. 

Drinking hot or warm ginger tea can really help. I just boil the ginger then drink it like a tea. Even turmeric tea will do.

:)

Topic link: 

Hey Byul

yeah, we do have sweet potatoes over here, but most stores don't carry the leaves.   Maybe if i go to an Asian grocery store, but the closest one is across town and my health isn't very good and taking the bus for an hour to get some of the   leaves seems like a lot of work.  Nothing is easy over here. 

i was just reading Rupa's introduction thread and she had mentioned Turmeric milk, too.  You might try reading her story, too.  she had the same loss of feeling from taking zyprexa, but she is lowering her dose and says she is feeling better.  She is a good soul.

Poetjester

4 minutes ago, PoetJester said:

Hey Byul

yeah, we do have sweet potatoes over here, but most stores don't carry the leaves.   Maybe if i go to an Asian grocery store, but the closest one is across town and my health isn't very good and taking the bus for an hour to get some of the   leaves seems like a lot of work.  Nothing is easy over here. 

i was just reading Rupa's introduction thread and she had mentioned Turmeric milk, too.  You might try reading her story, too.  she had the same loss of feeling from taking zyprexa, but she is lowering her dose and says she is feeling better.  She is a good soul.

Poetjester

Yes. True. 

Turmeric is good :)

https://www.turmericforhealth.com/turmeric-benefits/turmeric-and-irritable-bowel-syndrome-ibs

Sadly, I did cold turkey because I cant breathe :(

Also, the Dr said we can stop it if we want to.

I hope my feelings will return too.

I cant work so I needed to resign.

I cant go out with my friends because of this...

but I will not lose hope. 

Topic link: 

13 minutes ago, PoetJester said:

Hey Byul

Poetjester

You can try turmeric too. :)

Yes she's good. I have read rupa's story.

Thankyou.Thank you :)

Topic link: 

I forgot to say...

When I stop taking Risperidone, after a few weeks the dizziness and very blurry vision gone.

Topic link: 

On 05/04/2018 at 4:12 PM, Byul said:

I forgot to say...

When I stop taking Risperidone, after a few weeks the dizziness and very blurry vision gone.

do you have any withdrawal when you cold turkey it at 2mg?

4mg from 15/1/2018

3mg from 23/1/2018

2 mg from 27/3/2018

3/1/2019 stopped

7/6/2019 10 mg lurasidone 27/6/2019 5 mg lurasidone 30/11/2019 2 mg lurasidone 30/12/2019 1.66 mg lurasidone

Taking 40mg lurasidone and its helping a lot, don't stop your antipsychotic if you suffer from psychotic symptoms

2 hours ago, swordiebrom said:

do you have any withdrawal when you cold turkey it at 2mg?

I started from 1mg then we complained to the Dr that I cant sleep so he increased the dosage to 2 mg.

That time we didnt know about the side effects and the withdrawal of the drug. The Dr never told us those things about the drug. :(

From the very start, we (my father and I) never knew that when I started taking Risperidone the dizziness and very blurry vision I felt are belong to the side effects of the drug.

We decided to go to opthalmologist to assure why i was experiencing those things. The opthalmologist said that I have no problem with my eyes. He checked my palm, eyes, skin, and face and he noticed that it was so pale. He thought and said that it was obvious the problem is in my blood.

My father also told to opthalmologist that I was taking this drug. The Dr thought that the drug might be the reason for those what I feel.

We also suspected the drug.

By the time I was in 2mg, I didnt notice that I cant feel maybe because I was busy in the house.

After 2mg, my father and I decided to go down to 1mg because we thought it was because of the increased dosage why I cant sleep, but after 4 days in 1mg, I still cant sleep, I cant feel, my heart was palpitating too fast, and I cant breathe so I did the cold turkey. 

I think the withdrawal symptoms occur when we went down to 1mg.

Topic link: 

Additionally, I was so scared that time when I experienced to fall several times because of the dizziness and very blurry vision which went to blank vision (all was black). 

Thankfully, these are now gone.

Topic link: 

On 06/04/2018 at 11:18 PM, Byul said:

Additionally, I was so scared that time when I experienced to fall several times because of the dizziness and very blurry vision which went to blank vision (all was black). 

Thankfully, these are now gone.

it's great that your withdrawal are gone so fast

4mg from 15/1/2018

3mg from 23/1/2018

2 mg from 27/3/2018

3/1/2019 stopped

2 hours ago, swordiebrom said:

it's great that your withdrawal are gone so fast

Thank you but I dont know if I can really sleep well because I dont get sleepy I will just go to bed, shut my eyes and fall asleep unconsiously. Also, Im always having dreams. 

Still hoping my emotions or feelings will come back.

Topic link: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Byul, 

On 05/04/2018 at 9:12 AM, Byul said:

I forgot to say...

I am glad to see that the dizziness and blurred vision are gone. You will get feelings back and will sleep again. You have a positive attitude which is good. It is good to see that you go to bed and close your eyes even when you are not sleepy,  it is important to get rest when you can't sleep.  I do this too and fall asleep eventually.  Emotions will come back and you will find yourself crying at something, or laughing at something that would not have been funny the day before.  :D

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

4 hours ago, mammaP said:

Hi Byul, 

I am glad to see that the dizziness and blurred vision are gone. You will get feelings back and will sleep again. You have a positive attitude which is good. It is good to see that you go to bed and close your eyes even when you are not sleepy,  it is important to get rest when you can't sleep.  I do this too and fall asleep eventually.  Emotions will come back and you will find yourself crying at something, or laughing at something that would not have been funny the day before.  :D

Yes mammaP. Many times I am down, but I am always thinking and hoping that in time I can recover like them too.

Thank you mammaP. :)

Topic link: 

• 5 years later...

Hi byul I am going through the same thing as you , did you recover ? 

Clopixol depot injection june 2022- January 2023- made me feel like a zombie and this has continued even after discontinuation and has persisted ever since .