Lavender120884: Celexa 20mg

Lavender120884

Hi,

As I am new to this forum I like to introduce myself.

My name is Jennifer and I'm from Holland. I'm 33 years old.

I have been on celexa for 17 years.. got forced by my parents when I was 15 and haven't been able to quit them since.

Now I'm 3 weeks into weaning of again and it has been hell. I went from 20mg to 15mg and am planning to stay on 15mg for 3 months or at least till I'm stable again.

I'm also planning to have fluods instead of pills so I can wean off more slowly as I feel I'm going too fast now.

My withdrawal symptoms are: headaches, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, feeling numb, hard time spelling words, no apatite, panic attacks at night, severe neck pain.

I hope I will do better soon..

On Celexa/Citalopram 20mg for 17 years 😕. Currently weaning off for 3 weeks 🤒🤕🤢, now on 15mg 😊.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lavender (great name!) and welcome to SA.

I'm sorry you are going through this. 

It seems you are having withdrawals from tapering the Celexa too quickly. 

The good news is, if you are only 3 weeks into tapering, there is a definite possibility for going up in dose and tapering more slowly.

We usually recommend a taper rate of 10% per month: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1024-why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage/

Getting the liquid version is a great idea so that you can control the taper rate yourself. 

Most important: To help us know more about your situation, can you please create a "drug signature" here: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

Please list any and all drugs you are taking currently, and dates of any changes. (An example is my "signature," below this post.)

This here will be your Introduction thread to share your journey and seek help and support. 

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

Continuing with SkyBlue's suggestion on updosing,  please do not updose all the way back to 20mg.  Your brain has already made some adaptations to 15mg during the last three weeks and the original 20mg might be overwhelming to your central nervous system.  I would recommend an updose of 1 mg.

Reinstatement (or updosing) of a very small dose of the original drug is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic.

This link gives you information on how to make a nonstandard dose of Celexa so you can updose 1 mg.  This includes using a liquid formulation.

To help you understand the symptoms you are experiencing, here is some information on withdrawal.  The withdrawal time doesn't necessarily correlate with the time you were on the drug.  These drugs alter the architecture of the brain, and the time necessary to heal the brain and return to homeostasis is, unfortunately, impossible to predict.  

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Lavender120884: Celexa 20mg