In Feb of this year I decided that the cons of Adderall were no longer to my benefit and decided to quit cold turkey.  I spent a month weak, tired, irritable and unable to cope with all the "noise" of everything that was happening around me.  Driving, shopping, even conversations felt like too much to handle. 

They say that Adderall is not addicting but it is, maybe not in the physical sense for some but in the emotional sense I became heavily reliant on the pills just to be around people, to get out of bed; basically just to do the simple things that "regular" people get up and do day after day.  When I was first prescribed Adderall about 7 years ago, every few months I'd purposely stop taking them for an entire wknd just to reassure myself that I could stop.

To be continued.

7-8 Yrs: Adderall 2.5mg x 2 daily

7-8 Yrs: Venlafaxine XR (effexor) 75mg x 1 daily

I stopped taking Adderall in Feb18 and am completely in the process of the long drawn out withdrawal from Venlafaxine XR.  7/12/18 is the official date of my first month off of Venlafaxine XR.

I quit cold turkey, I definitely quit too fast and I do not recommend this method.  I should have tapered but I'm afraid to start over at this point.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Kitten: my introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kitten, welcome to SA.  It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

I'm not sure who "they" are that told you Adderall is not addicting, but they are incorrect.  Adderall can cause dependence and addiction.  Like all psych meds it should be tapered off slowly.  We do not recommend cold turkey here. 

How are you feeling now?  Are you currently experiencing any withdrawal symptoms?

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2018 at 12:50 AM, Kitten said:

To be continued.

Welcome Kitten,

I look forward to the continuation of your story and I hope that you are feeling better. I also found adderall to be a pain, and I had been poorly informed about it. My daily adderall crashes got worse and worse over the months until they were pretty much debilitating. Like you, I would also stop the pills for a few days sometimes, but those days ended up being poor predictors of the actual withdrawal that happened when I stopped permanently. 

Take it easy,

Marmot

2004: Clonazepam and Celexa. 2005 - 2006: Effexor, then increased to high dose, then switched to Valproate and Seroquel. 2007: Wellbutrin + Strattera + Celexa. 2007 - 2008: Wellbutrin + Adderall + Paxil. 2008 - 2012: Wellbutrin + occasional SSRIs when I had worsened "depression", which happened around 4 times, usually after CT of WB. 2012 - 2014: WB + Sertraline, then WB + Pristiq (awful W/D) then WB + rTMS, then ketamine. 2014 - 2016: Wellbutrin 200 mg + Abilify 4 mg + Adderall 20-40 mg + Cipralex 20 mg. Oct 2016: "Tapered" Cipralex, felt outrageously anxious, irritable. Dec 2016: "Tapered" Adderall, then felt depressed, hopeless, fatigued.  Feb 6 2017: reinstated 20 mg Adderall. Mar 2017: switched to Vyvanse, upped to 30 mg. May - Aug 2017: "Tapered" Vyvanse + Abilify to zero. Oct 25, 2017: Wellbutrin from 200 to 100 mg. Sep 10, 2018:  Wellbutrin from 90 to 60 mg. Oct 29, 2018: WB from 60 to 50 mg. Dec 19, 2018: WB from 50 to 45 mg. Apr 15, 2019: WB 41 mg. May 14, 2019: WB 37 mg. Jun 8, 2019: WB 33 mg. Jul 22: WB 30 mg, then down by around 10% per month. Aug 2020: 0

Working hard to take my life back. Anything I say here is as a friend or peer supporter; it is not medical advice.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 7:27 AM, Songbird said:

Hi Kitten, welcome to SA.  It would be helpful if you could create a signature with your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  You can edit your signature under your Account Settings.  See this topic for more info: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

I'm not sure who "they" are that told you Adderall is not addicting, but they are incorrect.  Adderall can cause dependence and addiction.  Like all psych meds it should be tapered off slowly.  We do not recommend cold turkey here. 

How are you feeling now?  Are you currently experiencing any withdrawal symptoms?

Thank you for the information, still learning how to navigate this site.  

I stopped taking Adderall in Feb18 and am completely in the process of the long drawn out withdrawal from Venlafaxine XR.  7/12/18 is the official date of my first month off of Venlafaxine XR.

I quit cold turkey, I definitely quit too fast and I do not recommend this method.  I should have tapered but I'm afraid to start over at this point.

I want to be clear that I in no way condone quitting any psych meds cold turkey.  There are many people who have benefitted greatly from the same medications that I had been prescribed.  What is right for some, may not be right for others; my brother for instance suffers from paranoid schizophrenia and has had difficulty sticking to his medication regime in the past due to the side effects.  But for him the benefits outweigh the negatives, I would never encourage him or anyone else for that matter to follow my lead.  Self advocacy is crucial, please educate yourself and discuss a plan with a licensed psychologist and/or other health professional - do not try and go it alone.

I've never been particularly fond of talking about my issues, I realize now that's part of the problem.  I hold things in and have always been considered the "strong" one in my social circle, the one everyone comes to for advice.  I've signed up on this forum so that I can hopefully learn how to open up and perhaps even help someone else in the process.  

My thoughts are extremely fragmented at the moment, so you'll have to forgive me as it's difficult to convey my thoughts let alone process what is happening inside my head.

I'm feeling overly emotional, one minute I feel hyperactive and the next I feel like crying. I wake up with this massive ball of anxiety and rage. The physical symptoms have subsided, but the emotional ones have come through full force.

I've vowed to myself that if my depression worsens I will go seek an alternative PD for a second opinion and will resume meds if necessary.

In the interim I will continue eating healthy, exercising and practicing mindfulness.  I will keep you updated on my journey once I figure out the ins and the outs along with how to navigate this forum.

On 6/29/2018 at 9:53 PM, Marmot said:

Welcome Kitten,

I look forward to the continuation of your story and I hope that you are feeling better. I also found adderall to be a pain, and I had been poorly informed about it. My daily adderall crashes got worse and worse over the months until they were pretty much debilitating. Like you, I would also stop the pills for a few days sometimes, but those days ended up being poor predictors of the actual withdrawal that happened when I stopped permanently. 

Take it easy,

Marmot

Marmot, Thank you for your message.  I've been off of Adderall since Feb of this year and not a day goes by that I don't think about it.  It's terrible but it was like my morning coffee, the first thing I'd do is take a pill before I could even get out of bed.  I miss it, I miss it alot and knowing this only fuels my desire to want to stay off.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Kitten,

Could you please add to your signature the date you started your taper of Effexor and the rate at which you tapered?

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  It's possible you tapered too fast.

Are you experiencing any withdrawal symptoms?  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Updated.

I definitely took the wrong approach and should have tapered, hindsight......

I'm going through withdrawal of a combination of meds.  I don't have any physical withdrawals at this point from Adderall, but I definitely miss and crave it.  All the more reason for me to stay off.  As of now I'm currently going through an entirely different withdrawal off of Venlafaxine XR and it's been a huge struggle. Again, hindsight... 

I've come to far the turn back now though.  I am open to seeking professional help should my mental health decline further but for now I want to continue trying to fight the good fight.  

• Administrator

Welcome, Kitten.

Adderall is well-known to be addicted. Your craving indicates you were caught in this.

What symptoms do you have from going off venlafaxine?

You've only been off venlafaxine for a month. Do you have any capsules left? Reinstatement of perhaps 10 beads out of the capsule might help. You can taper off that later.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kitten, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.