☼ Eastcoastgirl: a life free of antidepressants

Eastcoastgirl

I had a major gut infection of some kind in January that set me way back. I have a long history of gut issues so whenever something like that happens to me it’s never good, & seeing as most of your serotonin is made in your gut I have been having a ton of non-stop intrusive thoughts ever since. Sometimes they are negative thoughts, sometimes they’re not. Another thing I have noticed in the past 2.5 years is that I could be having the worst day ever & almost all my symptoms go away late at night no matter what. I’m not sure why that is but I’ve read here that is common.. I wish I knew why. Thirdly, I’ve been thinking lately about how much I strongly regret withdrawing from Ativan, Prozac, Citalopram and birth control all at the same time. I have been getting progressively sicker the past couple years, and when I went back on birth control in March 2020 and had a long 4 month window I realized that I am much further along in my healing from withdrawal than I thought, and a lot of what is wrong with me is hormonal, but doctors still can’t figure out what. I’m now at .40ml and I’ve been consistently doing the brass monkey slide method. For a few months I was going down one extra line per month but I noticed that was starting to bother me so I have stopped. Another thing I have been thinking about recently is what my life will be like after withdrawal. I am concerned that I will never be able to enjoy an alcoholic drink again, or take any sort of medication or have surgery etc without the fear that I will get thrown back into acute withdrawal. That is basically my update for now if anyone still reads my page or cares lol. Unless anything changes I will likely not be back until I’m near the end of my taper. I am focusing on mindfulness and taking in more positive information to keep my stress levels down. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have been pretty steady since  I reinstated in 2019, haven’t had any major waves in a really long time but since January I am doing very very bad and I have no idea what has triggered it. I have completely stopped sleeping for days on end, I have vivid dreams, severe apathy and suicidal ideation, total lack of motivation, OCD, POTS is bad again and it was almost gone.. and so on. I haven’t taken any new supplements or done anything that should have caused this and my taper can’t get any slower. I am scared. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been having persistent worsening vision problems since I was switched from Citalopram to Fluoxetine a few years ago. Very blurry vision, trouble seeing up close and far away, and eye floaters. I have to wear glasses all the time now. I went to see my eye doctor for a second time and once again I explained that it all started from that & she looked at me like I was crazy. Not only that, but they couldn’t detect much of a vision change despite the fact that I literally have to squint when I’m wearing my glasses to see things. Are these eye symptoms a symptom of withdrawal or side effect/possible damage from SSRIs? 

Hi Eastcoastgirl,

I'm reading your page and I care about you.  I'm sorry that things are so bad right now.

It's my understanding that vision problems are associated with SSRI withdrawal.

I was on the birth control pill from ages 17-35 and then Lexapro from age 36 until now (45). Its interesting to think how long I've been medicated.  I agree that hormones are a factor.

Take care,

Crochet

Edited by Karma
Name update

2012-present - Escitalopram currently 2.55 mg

Supplements:  Daytime- Green Lipped Mussel 1200mg, Omega-3s 1710mg, Wheat Germ Oil 770mg, Sodium Butyrate 1.2g, Phosphatidylcholine 2600mg, Multi-Min 2 tablets, Liposomal Glutathione 4 pumps, Probiotic 1 capsule, Beyond Balance herbal tinctures for lyme and gut healing (including one only taken during menstruation); Nighttime - L-theanine 200mg, melatonin 1mg, magnesium glycinate 400mg.

History:

2012-2017- Escitalopram 10mg

2017-2020 - Escitalopram 5mg

07/2019-11/2019 - Valium 10mg, every 2-3 days, then stopped

11/2020 - Stopped Escitalopram 5mg abruptly (crashed January 2021)

1/2021-12/2021 - Escitalopram Reinstated 2.5mg to 5 to 10 to 7.5 and then started slow taper

1/2021-2/2021 - Ativan .5mg - Took 13.5 pills over the course of 22 days and stopped

2/2021-9/2021  Hydroxyzine - 50-100mg tapering down to .8mg, then cross-tapered to Claritin and stopped

9/2021-9/2022 - Claritin 5 mg (tapered off)

Thank you for responding, Crochet. 

I have such a long list of symptoms from withdrawal and they are always changing. The vision issues are a big concern and it’s tough when you feel like no one believes you despite the evidence being out there. Maybe it is hormones moreso than withdrawal, it is impossible to tell at this point! 

I’m sorry that you are also in this situation and I hope it gets better for you.

• 1 month later...

Had a really bad withdrawal relapse mid March. I think it was triggered by L-Glutamine. Was shocked to discover that L-Glutamine took away all the mental symptoms I have been experiencing from withdrawal however when I stopped it, it was a nightmare. Still have not recovered and mood has been very low. Taper has becoming very challenging at this point despite how slow I’m going. 

Hello @Eastcoastgirl,

On 3/10/2021 at 9:17 AM, KMart95 said:

have been having persistent worsening vision problems since I was switched from Citalopram to Fluoxetine a few years ago.

When I was on citalopram, I had to wear sun glasses all the time because I was sensitive to the light( I am a spanish living in the UK, Sun shouldnt be a problem for me!). It stopped short after my CT, but my vision is getting worst. 

About hormones... My worst moments are always before my period, so yes, I am sure they are a factor.

Never heard about L-glutamine, does It work for WD? 

I send you a big hug.

Edited by Karma
Name update

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

Starting to feel like I can’t function without antidepressants and I made the wrong decision choosing to stop taking them. Dealing with severe depression which I never had before all of this.. it’s awful.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 4/27/2021 at 12:10 AM, Eastcoastgirl said:

Starting to feel like I can’t function without antidepressants and I made the wrong decision choosing to stop taking them. Dealing with severe depression which I never had before all of this.. it’s awful.

Hi Eastcoastgirl,

Sorry to hear you’re still struggling with a lot of difficult symptoms. Reading back through your posts, it seems you’ve had a number of set backs so far this year.

The gut infection/issues sounded like they were particularly problematic and stirred up a lot of additional difficulties. The glutamine seems to have complicated things further.

I can relate to the feelings of ‘when will this end’ and ‘should I have done this’. I’ve tapered down about 80% on Escitalopram and the tough days/weeks can feel like a lifetime, but things do continue to get better, just at a rate that’s so slow sometimes it’s hard to notice. 

Are you still tapering throughout all of this? You came off a lot of different medications at once and have had different setbacks, which makes me think a good hold and focusing on stability might be wise. 

Try to stay positive, exercise and get out as much as your symptoms allow, it can really help. 

Edited by Karma
Name update

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I can only provide information and make suggestions.

On 4/27/2021 at 5:39 AM, eymen23 said:

Hi Eastcoastgirl,

Sorry to hear you’re still struggling with a lot of difficult symptoms. Reading back through your posts, it seems you’ve had a number of set backs so far this year.

The gut infection/issues sounded like they were particularly problematic and stirred up a lot of additional difficulties. The glutamine seems to have complicated things further.

I can relate to the feelings of ‘when will this end’ and ‘should I have done this’. I’ve tapered down about 80% on Escitalopram and the tough days/weeks can feel like a lifetime, but things do continue to get better, just at a rate that’s so slow sometimes it’s hard to notice. 

Are you still tapering throughout all of this? You came off a lot of different medications at once and have had different setbacks, which makes me think a good hold and focusing on stability might be wise. 

Try to stay positive, exercise and get out as much as your symptoms allow, it can really help. 

Good to hear from you Eymen23! 

Things are certainly very tough right now. The gut infection and even moreso the l-glutamine caused some of the worst setbacks I have had in a long time. I didn’t have an extreme reaction but my mood has been very dark for a few months now and I’ve stopped sleeping. It is hard to tell what is really me anymore and that brings on that desperate feeling of just wanting to go back on medication most days, but I know that would be disastrous. 

Congratulations on getting as far in your taper as you have! I’m currently at 0.31ml and symptoms started to get noticeable at 0.50ml. I agree that it is likely time to hold for a while and I hope I will find some relief from that! 

Edited by Karma
Name update
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey @eymen23 I have a question for you if you wouldn’t mind. I was just evaluating my taper schedule. I’m still doing the Brass Monkey Slide Method (10 percent every six weeks). I’m now at 0.30ml and realized my reductions are now 3.3% at a time rather than 2.5% .. and they will continue to get higher as I drop down. Is there anything I can do to make it easier on my brain? I assume if I were to dilute the liquid more the taper could just end up going on infinitely? 

• 3 weeks later...

Starting taking Midodrine today. I tried to avoid it for almost two and a half years since withdrawal began but my blood pressure was falling so low my doctor sent me to the hospital because he was afraid my heart would stop. Was fainting a lot and had no quality of life. The Dysautonomia started for me when I went through benzo withdrawal. Luckily midodrine does not cross the blood brain barrier but I did feel a little funky today. Times are tough but pushing on, as always. Just hoping to see an end to all this sooner than later.

• 4 weeks later...

Saw you post this in the endgame tape thread, but figure I would respond here.

"What do you do when you’re tapering with a diluted liquid and you reach a point where you’re at such a low dose that it feels like barely any liquid is coming out of the dropper and it may not be doing anything?"

What size dropper are you using?

I was using a 1 ml dropper, which helps a lot in getting you able to taper while on low doses, then when my amounts got really small I started diluting it so I could have enough room on the dropper to maintain accuracy.

When I first started making a liquid I took my 10 mg pill and mixed it with 10 ml of a suspension liquid so I had a 1-1 dose.  When I wanted more room to make slow drops I did my 10 mg pill with 20 ml of suspension for a 1-2 dose.  Once I worked my way down again and wanted more room on my dropper I took my 10 mg pill and mixed it with 40 ml of suspension liquid for a 1-4 dose.

I worked that down to as far as I could take it and decided that I was stable enough that instead of trying to dilute it more I was ready to stop taking it altogether.

When I jumped off I was taking one half of the very last line on my 1 ml dropper.  Technically that would be 0.005 ml.  And I had diluted it 1-4, so in non-diluted measurements it would equal 0.00125 ml.  A crazy small amount!

Best of luck continuing to do what you think is best for you.

40 yo Male. Started Paxil about 15 years ago. 10 mg (pill weight .125 - .129 g). 5 yrs wanted less side effects, doctor took me off Paxil over couple week period and put me on Wellbutrin. Not good. Went back on Paxil. Relieved my symptoms, but didn't work as well and more side effects. Severe reaction between Paxil and Zomig Summer of 2012. Head was affected during warmer days (cloudiness, confusion, pressure). Began 10% withdrawal 10/24/12.

Withdrawel helped many symptoms, but also added side effects: nausea, dizziness, tiredness. Hyper-anxiety started January 2014.

Went through a 2 year period of de-realization (2016-2018).  Rarely any windows.  
Current dose: 0.00 as of 4/10/21.  Made a lot of progress in my withdrawal symptoms the last 2 years of my taper.  I think doing a liquid taper helped stabilize things on the lower doses.  A lot of my symptoms have reduced significantly.  Hoping for even more improvement now that I am off.
My thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8909-rusty1-paxil-withdrawal-help-and-advice-welcome/#entry150222

This past month was the hardest I’ve ever experienced. I did not expect to have any negative reaction to midodrine, and I didn’t right away but after trying it a few times I did. It supposedly does not cross the blood-brain barrier but it works on epinephrine so i’m not really surprised. I have had terrible akathisia on and off, especially at night, and have had many days of severe suicidal ideation. Sometimes it feels like it is improving and then I have another really bad day. Supplements that always helped me such as fish oil are now over stimulating. I can’t ever sleep whether it’s day or night. This process has been absolutely miserable and I’m so over it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What is the consensus on having surgery when the nervous system is still recovering? I will have to have a big surgery in the next year and will need antibiotics and possibly heavy painkillers afterward. Very scared that it will erase all the progress I’ve made so far..

• Karma changed the title to Eastcoastgirl: a life free of antidepressants
  • 1 month later...

More than 2 years later I am happy to say I have finally completed my taper. I have had very minimal withdrawal symptoms throughout my taper using the Brass Monkey Slide Method. I had made 4 attempts in the past to withdraw from my SSRI and ended up spiralling into the worst nightmare of my life, so this method has been a miracle honestly. Thank you to the amazing people here who helped me along the way @eymen23@ChessieCat@Altostrata @brassmonkey I am now 100% free of all prescription medications and it feels good. Looking back at where I was 3 years ago, I honestly didn’t think I would make it out of this alive. My nervous system has a lot more healing to do now but I’m looking forward to sharing my success story in the future. 

• Mentor

Love reading story’s like this! Congrats and all the continued healing you shall receive! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

• Administrator

Congratulations! When did you stop Prozac?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

Please do let us know how you're doing over the next months. This helps us understand what works.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Congratulations on making the jump to "0" for your ssri. I'm so glad that the Brassmonkey Slide Method worked so well for you. 

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Congratulations!

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Congrats! Thats a great achievement! 

Hope It goes well in the next months.

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so). 

• 2 weeks later...

Over two weeks later and no withdrawal symptoms whatsoever! I used to get hit with withdrawal symptoms after one week with all my other failed attempts but so far everything is great.. I’m in disbelief but very grateful. Hoping it stays this good. 

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up having some withdrawal symptoms shortly after my last post. Daily crying spells and feeling angry/agitated but it only lasted a few days and I feel back to normal now. I had a major POTS flare up from jumping off and that is the only thing that is still bad. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still hanging in there. Some days are good and some days are not so great. I am extremely sensitive to supplements and taking something as simple as a vitamin causes a major uptick in withdrawal symptoms. Some days I am randomly really irritable which is frustrating but I know it could be worse. 

Im sorry, i am also sensitive to supplements. It makes things more difficult. I also hate when I get irritable. It sucks. I'm glad you are hanging in there. 

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

• 2 weeks later...

Something has triggered one of the worst waves I have had in probably 2 years. I’m not sure if it’s the booster I got recently or maybe withdrawal finally hitting me at 1.5 months off but I have had this deep depression, apathy, OCD and some depersonalization that I just can’t shake. At certain times throughout the day it is unbearable. I don’t feel like myself at all and I’m really sad because I haven’t experienced this kind of mental upset in well over a year. 

• 3 weeks later...

The weirdest symptom I have experienced in withdrawal is thinking in my sleep. My brain does not shut off all night long. I will repeat sentences, I will go through a whole recipe in my head, very negative thoughts will loop through my mind, I will dream for 8 hours straight.. it’s very strange. I just want to have peace in my mind but my brain won’t shut off when I sleep.. it actually seems like it’s the most active.

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

Thank you, that’s a great idea! I will try tonight. The withdrawal insomnia is so bad too so that doesn’t help. 

I know that I said that everything seems to be good when I initially finished my taper near the end of December but things have just been plummeting downhill ever since. I was mostly fine all through January but then I got vaccinated again at the beginning of February and I haven’t been the same since. I can’t say for sure if that’s the cause though. I have felt like I have been in a constant, acute withdrawal again. When I’m trying to sleep is the worst. My brain goes absolutely nuts, I have akathisia and racing heart when I wake up. I also have random bouts of anger during the day, complete loss of motivation, brain fog and depression. Seems absurd that I tapered down to 0.04ml before jumping off and yet I’m having such prolonged, intense problems?? I’ve been trying everything I can to calm my nervous system without drugs or supplements but nothing works.

• 1 month later...

I have had pretty much no good day since I finished my taper over 4 months ago. I regret all of this. I didn’t just wreck my brain, I completely lost my health too in this process and it wasn’t worth it. It is true that without your health, you have nothing. I regret putting myself through this despite all that I have learned about psychiatric medications. I am happy to be off but it cost me everything so it’s really not a win. 3.5 years of being mostly bedridden and housebound with very little healing in between. Still wildly sensitive to all medications and supplements, still have crippling insomnia.. it just sucks. Struggling to find a reason to keep moving forward.  

• 4 weeks later...

Being in the sun too long increases withdrawal symptoms?

Does anyone else have sun sensitivity in withdrawal? It was not too bad until I finished my taper but now if I am in the sun too long, or especially if I get a sunburn I am unable to sleep at night, agitated, depressed and having intrusive negative thoughts. 

I am surprised by this because the sun increases serotonin and melatonin which one would assume would be beneficial. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic