Jakebob: paroxetine and mirtazapine withdrawal

Jakebob

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Jakebob said:

I have a question. If I stay on this dose 13.7mg for let's say 2 weeks to test how I feel, can I safely return then to my original dose of 15mg? 

I cannot predict the future. Possibly.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

So I didn't proceed with my tapering of mirtazapine. Still on 15 mg. I didn't have many sleep problems until yesterday. It started when I had a very strong runny nose. At this time of the year, I have seasonal allergies. But right now it feels much worse. I feel my sinuses are blocked and have a constantly runny nose. Now the problem with this is that it is inducing very strong anxiety in me. That's why I practically couldn't sleep. Constantly waking up with almost panic attacks. Not sure if this is caused by those sinus problems. I had some more stressful days lately. Also sitting long hours in front of the computer in the evening probably didn't help.

December 2009 - February 2012:  Paroxetine (Seroxat), occasionally Clorazepate || February 2012 - November 2012: Escitalopram || November 2012 - May 2013: Venlafaxine, also benzodiazepines, mostly Xanax || June 2013 - December 2013: only benzodiazepines Xanax, I'm starting to become addicted to it. || December 2013 - March 2014: again Paroxetine, very often Xanax || March 2014 - June 2014Fluoxetine. Changed Paroxetine to Fluoxetine. I was practically addicted to Xanax at this point. || I had an unpleasant accident in June 2014. Abruptly Stopped taking SSRIs but was still addicted to benzos. || August 2014 I started taking Clomipramine and in September 2014 Mirtazapine 10 mg. This was the time I stopped taking benzos for good. The withdrawal was pretty hard for more than half a year.  || October 2014: Stopped Clomipramine and for month tried Sertraline

September 2014 to Present DayMirtazapine 15mg 
December 2014 to August 2018 I was on 30 mg Paroxetine.  Started tapering in January 2018
. Going twice from 30mg to 20mg in a matter of 2-3 days. Didn't work. Started again in February 2018.

Generally every 2 months I was making a big drop by 10mg in a matter of two weeks. I stopped taking it completely in August 11th, 2018.  My Symptoms include depression, anxiety, sleeping problems, apathy, anhedonia, photophobia, afterimages, other vision problems (hard to vocus my eyes), tinnitus, brain fog. The problems with my eyesight are especially annoying and scary.  After four months they have become more severe.

Currently: 15mg mirtazapine (since September 2014), 0 paroxetine

• 1 month later...

Recently I am very sleepy during the day. I thought this may be caused by low air pressure. On the other hand, when it's slightly higher I still have this symptom. I sleep for around 8 hours, sometimes 9 hours so it's not necessarily the lack of sleep.  

I've been recently taking a large dose of omega-3 supplements. 2 capsules totally about 1100 mg of EPA + DHA. I wonder if omega-3 may cause sleepiness.

December 2009 - February 2012:  Paroxetine (Seroxat), occasionally Clorazepate || February 2012 - November 2012: Escitalopram || November 2012 - May 2013: Venlafaxine, also benzodiazepines, mostly Xanax || June 2013 - December 2013: only benzodiazepines Xanax, I'm starting to become addicted to it. || December 2013 - March 2014: again Paroxetine, very often Xanax || March 2014 - June 2014Fluoxetine. Changed Paroxetine to Fluoxetine. I was practically addicted to Xanax at this point. || I had an unpleasant accident in June 2014. Abruptly Stopped taking SSRIs but was still addicted to benzos. || August 2014 I started taking Clomipramine and in September 2014 Mirtazapine 10 mg. This was the time I stopped taking benzos for good. The withdrawal was pretty hard for more than half a year.  || October 2014: Stopped Clomipramine and for month tried Sertraline

December 2014 to August 2018 I was on 30 mg Paroxetine.  Started tapering in January 2018
. Going twice from 30mg to 20mg in a matter of 2-3 days. Didn't work. Started again in February 2018.

Generally every 2 months I was making a big drop by 10mg in a matter of two weeks. I stopped taking it completely in August 11th, 2018.  My Symptoms include depression, anxiety, sleeping problems, apathy, anhedonia, photophobia, afterimages, other vision problems (hard to vocus my eyes), tinnitus, brain fog. The problems with my eyesight are especially annoying and scary.  After four months they have become more severe.

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, Jakebob said:

I wonder if omega-3 may cause sleepiness.

Omega-3 is known to improve sleep quality and quantity.  I haven't seen anything indicates it causes excessive sleepiness.  1100mg is about an average dose.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Is this sleepiness a significant change in your symptom pattern?

What times of day (o'clock) do you take your drugs, at what dosages?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

5 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Is this sleepiness a significant change in your symptom pattern?

I think I had this sleepiness in the past months, even last year, but not that strong. It's been practically every day during the last week.

Generally, there was a spike with some of my symptoms during the last month. My depression and anxiety were worse. Brain fog and memory problems seemed slightly stronger. More breathing problems. My vision problems also somehow seemed a little worse.

The last few weeks have been more stressful, also I had some sinus problems and caught a cold, maybe some of those things caused increase with symptoms. Diet without changes except for omega-3 supplement.

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What times of day (o'clock) do you take your drugs, at what dosages?

I take 15 mg mirtazapine at 11 pm before going to bed. One capsule of omega-3 around 11 am and the other at around 2 pm. 

Gridley and Altostrata thank you for your help.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jakebob said:

My depression and anxiety were worse.

What does this mean? What do you mean by "depression"?

We recommend taking 3000-4000mg EPA + DHA per day. This is often 6 capsules or more.

Sleepiness could mean your nervous system is settling down. It is far preferable to the more common sleeplessness. Are you dopey in the morning? It may be that you no longer need as much mirtazapine, you have a hangover.

Please update your signature and condense it to 12 lines. We don't need to know how you tapered in 2018.

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

Please update your signature and condense it to 12 lines. We don't need to know how you tapered in 2018.

I've updated it. 

What does this mean? What do you mean by "depression"?

What I mean by depression right now is mostly this feeling of being stuck in my head with very gloomy feelings, from which I cannot easily get out. It doesn't feel natural. Like in a bad surrealistic dream. And it doesn't necessarily need to be caused by outside factors, it just happens especially in the morning. Thankfully it is not constant. Also feelings of sadness, hopelessness, anhedonia during the day. But I think that these happen because I'm worried about outside things and my current condition. I always was quite sensitive and it feels much worse in withdrawal. By worse anxiety, I mean that my social phobia is worse, I have more intrusive thoughts, more afraid about literally anything and sometimes it's harder for me to stay still.

Are you dopey in the morning? It may be that you no longer need as much mirtazapine, you have a hangover.

I generally feel sleepy in the morning like I took a sleeping tablet, depressed, sometimes slightly confused. For about 10-20 minutes. Problems with my vision are also worse then.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Jakebob said:

I generally feel sleepy in the morning like I took a sleeping tablet, depressed, sometimes slightly confused. For about 10-20 minutes. Problems with my vision are also worse then.

You may wish to start very gradually reducing the mirtazapine. Could be you don't need as much as you're taking, your own circadian rhythm is doing the work. See Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

• 7 months later...

Hello. Apologies for not updating my topic for the last few months. There weren't many changes in my state during that time. However, at the end of 2020 and the beginning of 2021, some of my symptoms got worse. 

My vision (which was already not very good and had many problems) seems to be even more blurred and wobbly.  My brain fog is pretty bad, short term memory especially. There were lots of moments with me feeling pretty weak physically, flu-like symptoms. Also, vibrations in my head, that almost feel like brain zaps. I seem to be super sensitive to outside stressful situations and more sensitive to some things like sugar or caffeine.

I wonder if this could be caused by those stressful moments which I had so many during the first weeks of 2021. I also had a bad tooth infection, it was pretty painful. I'm in the middle of a long canal treatment. I was prescribed antibiotics for this. It was amoxicillin with clavulanic acid. I was taking it for one week.

• 1 month later...

Is it possible that after 30 months I'm still having withdrawal symptoms? Especially stuff like vision problems, brain fog and memory problems, tinnitus. Two days ago I had sleeping problems, constantly waking up after falling asleep. The next day I had dizziness and tingling in my head which felt like brain zaps. Maybe it's mirtazapine that's causing these problems, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry wrong topic

I've made 2% drop with my mirtazapine dose, 15mg -> 14.7mg. I slept OK, but in the morning my anxiety was worse than usual. Plus symptoms like slight tingling in my head and body, worse vision problems, and very slight nausea. Seems crazy that a 2% drop did that, but there it is.

Really not know if I should continue with this tapering right now. If 2% gave me this reaction. Is there a danger of kindling if I return to my normal dose after a day or a few days of taking this lower dose? 

• 3 months later...

I'm really worried about my brain fog recently. It's gonna be soon 3 years since stopping paroxetine. And my brain fog is right now really bad. Concentration is harder, but short-term memory is especially bad. Today had a busy, super stressful day and now I'm sitting in the evening and I really need to do some mental gymnastics to recall what I have been actually doing today. I'm still on mirtazapine and I'm sure this medication may cause some of that. But this is really scary, especially that I'm now so long in this state.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really kind of worried about what is happening. I've been under a lot of stress in the last few weeks. Depression and especially anxiety are rampant. Lots of this I think is my "natural" reaction to some outside circumstances. My father is very sick, he is in a wheelchair. For a few weeks (at least) I've been having inflammation of the prostate gland. I'm taking medications for that (trimethoprim). The thing is my anxiety and depression has been sometimes so strong recently I really wonder if it has anything to do with this medication. Not to mention that my brain fog and vision problems are even wrose. Can all of this be really withdrawal realted or should I be worried and look for some other possibly neurolgical disorder that I suffer?

• 1 year later...

Hello,

wanted to make an update on my state.

It's been over 4 years since stopping Seroxat (paroxetine - 30mg). Still on 15 mg mirtazapine.

Main symptoms that persist through all this time:

-vision problems

-memory problems

-hypersensitivity (to some substances like caffeine and generally to stress and other outside things)

In November I was taking for a month and 4 days steroids meds for my sinus problems (fluticasone). I didn't notice many problems when taking them and shortly after that. But after Christmas I think my memory problems felt worse and also my vision problems seemed worse. Not sure if sinus meds made these symptoms worse or something else.

However the real bad things happened yesterday. So 2 days ago I started taking vinpocetine medication. A few weeks ago I had a neck massage and after that some hearing problems for which the doctor prescribed me vinpocetine. I took 5mg two days ago, and 10mg yesterday. Few hours after that second dose I started having unpleasant symptoms: tingling in my hands and head which felt very similar to brain zaps, nausea, couldn't sit still, dizziness, dry mouth. I still have some of that (mostly tingling in my head that feels like a brain zap and nausea). To be honest this feeling is quite similar to the one I had when tapering paroxetine. And the problem is this gets worse when I use a computer to read something or watch a video. 

Really not sure if vinpocetine caused this or something else. This feels really depressing as for the last year I was relatively stable. 

So it's been a week since this symptoms started. Looks like this right now:

Tingling in my head (which feels kind of similar to brain zaps), nausea and dizziness. This gets often especially bad when I try to read or generally work at the computer. Sometimes to the point that I feel really bad. Yesterday when I was reading a book for a few minutes this tingling started, nausea, and then a headache. It was so bad I had to stop reading and lay down. Tingling sometimes can be felt in my chest, hands, and legs. When I go to sleep I wake up multiple times with this tingling feeling in my head. Also very often dry mouth.

Worse problems with my vision and memory. 

I was thinking is it possible that my Mirtazapine popped out? And I'm in withdrawal already. 

Would the best course of action be to start very slowly tapering it now?

Sick right now with nausea and vibrations. It even get worse when I sit or lay down. Can this be that my system doesn't longer tolerate mirtazapine and I'm in withdrawal? Should I start tapering it?

• 1 year later...

How are you doing now @Jakebob

Lexapro 10-20mg 2016-2018 2 full years cold turkey no withdrawals, Lexapro 10-20mg 01/2021-08/2022 cold turkey missed doses, alternated between high and low doses, no withdrawals

1/7-1/14/2023 Ciprofloxacin for 1 week 500mgx2 in January 2023, resulted in headaches that went away in 2 months

3/21-3/35/2023 Oxybutinin for 4 days 

3/21-3/30/2023 Ofloxacin 400*9 days in March, gave me insomnia

3/23-3/25/2023 Passiflora+Valerian Capsule for 2 nights, doesn't work.

3/26-3/29/2023 Unisom (Doxylamine) for three nights, it would work on the second night but would not do anything on the 3rd.
03/29-05/10/2023 Mirtazapine 7.5mg/15mgs depending on the night this also would work for 3 nights, I would switch to Unisom every 4th night. Took for a total of 15-20 times in 42 nights.

5/11/2023 Atarax(hydroxine) only once but spiked my tinnitus and gives me DP/DR in the morning, after this I could fall a sleep on my own with no meds. Later on Unisom also spikes my tinnitus. 

06/01/2023 Brain Zaps start, I get back to alternating mirtazapine,passiflora, melatonin,  for 40+ more days. Symptoms got worse.

06/15/2023 Trazodone 50MGs once. Did nothing.

3/2023 - 9/2023 NAC, Alpha lipoic Acid, Magnesium, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Calcium. Once or twice I took 5HTP and L-theanine. Took Fish Oil Omega-3 for 1-2 months.

11/8/2023 250mgs of Keppra ONCE.

Hello,

I have such a mix of symptoms. The vibrations and nausea I had when writing my previous post are much better, but they still happen from time to time. Right now the worst symptom are the problems with my vision (blurred, sensitive). 

The thing is I might have Lyme disease. The 2 different tests I did last year came back positive. This makes things more complicated because I'm not always entirely sure which symptoms are from Lyme, which are from withdrawal from SSRI, and which are caused by mirtazapine.