Gryffe74: sertraline tapering help

Gryffe74

Hi folks,

Just joined and so glad I've found this site.In the short time I've been looking there seems to be loads of great advice.

So basically I've been on 50mg of sertraline for 1.5yrs roughly and it's been a god send but I feel the time is right to taper or so I thought .1 month ago I started splitting the tablets taking 25mg which was fine and well tolerated I had no issues at all with the lower dose, So I decided to stop altogether just under a week ago and yesterday I started feeling poorly tiredness has been a problem then today I've started to feel really down and almost weepy something I've never had also anxiety creeping back in with a vengance(the reason I started on them). I feel maybee dropping from 25mg to nothing has been a step too far so I've decided to start back on the 25mg and carry out a 10% taper from there. Does everyone think that is the way to go or should I 're instate the 50mg and 10% taper from there? Feeling pretty confused and lost at the moment also feel angry for upsetting myself like this. Everyone's advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Currently on - 25mg of Sertraline

Original dose - 50mg started Oct 2017

Dosege reduced  - March 2019

• ChessieCat changed the title to Gryffe74: sertraline tapering help

Hi folks,

Sorry jumped in feet first and posted in tapering I didn't realise.  - post has now been moved.

Just joined and so glad I've found this site.In the short time I've been looking there seems to be loads of great advice.

So basically I've been on 50mg of sertraline for 1.5yrs roughly and it's been a god send but I feel the time is right to taper or so I thought .1 month ago I started splitting the tablets taking 25mg which was fine and well tolerated I had no issues at all with the lower dose, So I decided to stop altogether just under a week ago and yesterday I started feeling poorly tiredness has been a problem then today I've started to feel really down and almost weepy something I've never had also anxiety creeping back in with a vengance(the reason I started on them). I feel maybee dropping from 25mg to nothing has been a step too far so I've decided to start back on the 25mg and carry out a 10% taper from there. Does everyone think that is the way to go or should I 're instate the 50mg and 10% taper from there? Feeling pretty confused and lost at the moment also feel angry for upsetting myself like this. Everyone's advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added note

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gryffe74,  welcome to SA!  I'm glad you've found us.  

It would be helpful if you could please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

My thoughts are that if you've been off less than a week, then your plan to reinstate the lower dose (25mg) sounds reasonable.  You may not need to go all the way back up to full dose to get relief from withdrawal symptoms.  In general, reinstatement works better when done sooner rather than later, so now would be the time rather than waiting longer.  After reinstating, I would not commence a taper immediately, but wait for at least a couple of months to restabilise.  Once stable, you could then begin the slow taper as recommended here.  For detailed information about reinstating, please read this topic thoroughly, especially the top post: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

22 minutes ago, Songbird said:

Hi Gryffe74,  welcome to SA!  I'm glad you've found us.  

It would be helpful if you could please create a signature containing a summary of your med history, including all drugs, doses and dates (starting and stopping).  Your signature appears below every post you make, and helps us see your situation easily without having to read from the top every time.   You could look at my signature for an example.  Instructions for creating your signature are here: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.  You can edit your signature here: edit your signature in Account Settings.

My thoughts are that if you've been off less than a week, then your plan to reinstate the lower dose (25mg) sounds reasonable.  You may not need to go all the way back up to full dose to get relief from withdrawal symptoms.  In general, reinstatement works better when done sooner rather than later, so now would be the time rather than waiting longer.  After reinstating, I would not commence a taper immediately, but wait for at least a couple of months to restabilise.  Once stable, you could then begin the slow taper as recommended here.  For detailed information about reinstating, please read this topic thoroughly, especially the top post: About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms.

Please post all your updates and questions about your situation here in your introduction topic, and we will try to help you as best we can.

Hi songbird,

Many thanks for your advice I think that's the way I'm Gonny go. The one thing this site has shown me is doctors know very little about withdrawal. The last time I spoke to her I felt I knew more about them than her which surely can't be right.

Best regards 

Take a look at this graph, y-axis is occupancy of drug in the brain, x-axis is dosage. You can see that 25mg and downwards,

the amount in the brain takes a nosedive. I have an identical drug history to yours, and it was also really easy for me to go from

100-75, 75-50, 50-25, but my huge mistake was not reinstating after being hit hard after tapering from 25mg to 0mg.

For me, my previous successes at tapering were deceptive. I assumed that the mg intervals were the same - THEY ARE NOT!

You need to taper EXTREMELY slowly, get a liquid solution at your pharmacy if you are able.

04_meyer_occupancy_fig1.png.a97d1ab860e58eaba8da2e8d55ef04ec.png

- March 2017: 50mg Sertraline starts

- August 2017: up to 100mg

- February 2018: down to 50mg

- November 2018: one-week taper down to 0mg

• Mentor

Wow, Herod, those are great graphs! They really explain what’s going on.

R

= medication taken now

2007 quetiapine to March 2019 200mg

2019 quetiapine March to present 225mg 

2007 citalopram to present 40mg 
2018 March Abilify 5mg  
2019 Abilify February rapid taper over 3 weeks from 5mg to off

2019 March Clonazepam as required, taken very occasionally, then taken 0.5mg for 2 days 28th and 29th March, now phased out

2019 1st April reinstated Abilify 0.5mg / day 

2018 to 2020 Liquid B12 2g twice daily (diagnosed B12 deficiency) 

2020 July reduced quetiapine to 200mg

2022 October began taper of Abilify

4 hours ago, herod said:

Take a look at this graph, y-axis is occupancy of drug in the brain, x-axis is dosage. You can see that 25mg and downwards,

the amount in the brain takes a nosedive. I have an identical drug history to yours, and it was also really easy for me to go from

100-75, 75-50, 50-25, but my huge mistake was not reinstating after being hit hard after tapering from 25mg to 0mg.

For me, my previous successes at tapering were deceptive. I assumed that the mg intervals were the same - THEY ARE NOT!

You need to taper EXTREMELY slowly, get a liquid solution at your pharmacy if you are able.

04_meyer_occupancy_fig1.png.a97d1ab860e58eaba8da2e8d55ef04ec.png

Superb that really gives a great idea of what is happening, I'm on my 3rd day of 're instating 25mg and feel better but still have a bit of underlying anxiety. I'm hoping this will level out in the near future although I have a nagging doubt that I may need to 're instate the 50mg to control anxiety then slowly taper when the time is right, just don't know what to do for the best.

Something else that may be a factor in all of this is i had knee surgery around 3 weeks ago and have been taking co codomol, aspirin and ibrofen for the pain maybee not a good mix. I've cut the pain killers out 2 now so hopefully things will settle, what a carry on.

Thanks.

Sorry meant to say has anyone managed to source liquid sertraline in the UK? I think it may only be available in the US hope I'm wrong.

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know but if it isn't you may be able to make your own liquid.  See these topics:

Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

how to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Please try not to worry too much about tapering right at the moment.  It's a good idea to take some time to get really stable first.

2001–2002 paroxetine

2003  citalopram

2004-2008  paroxetine (various failed tapers) 
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to

2016  Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct 15mg … slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg 6 Jul 4.1mg 17 Aug 4.0mg  18 Nov 3.8mg
2019  15 Mar 3.6mg  21 May 3.4mg  26 Dec 3.2mg 

2020  19 Feb 3.0mg 19 Jul 2.9mg 16 Sep 2.8mg 25 Oct 2.7mg 23 Oct 2.6mg 24 Dec 2.5mg

2021   29 Aug 2.4mg   15 Nov 2.3mg

• 1 year later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

1 hour ago, Gryffe74 said:

Sourcing Sertraline tapering strips in the uk

Hi Folks,

Has any of the UK members had any luck getting their GP to authorise the purchase of tapering strips from the supplier in the netherlands, im currently waiting on mine making a decision but its not looking likely even though i have offered to pay. Is there any other way to obtain these if your doctor refuses?

Thanks in advance

I've moved the above post to the existing topic.  If you click on the arrow top right of the quote box it will take you to it.

Other members are tapering sertraline successfully without the tapering strips.

You were giving this link in the previous post.  See Post #1 of this topic which explains how to get your dose:

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

You could ask your question in these topics:

Great Britain members, please check in here

Colchester, Essex (UK) - Support Group

Southwest UK Support Group - Please check in here if interested

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management