Birth control pills and other hormonal birth control

Soul

Since I started withdrawing from Lamictal, I have noticed changes to my menstrual cycle. Namely, pms symptoms are much worse, including acne, cramping, and mood swings. My face also breaks out mid-cycle around ovulation, which it did not do before. I also have breast tenderness and a dull achey feeling in my lower abdomen around mid-cycle. 

Have any any other women noted cycle changes? Have you found any ways to help support hormonal health/deal with increased hormonal symptoms?

2001 - 2009 Celexa
2008 - 2014 Wellbutrin (CT’d end of year)

Sept 2015 - Nov 2015 Prozac

Nov 2015 - March 2016 Latuda

March 2016 - present Lamictal

Began tapering off Lamictal April 2018

Currently taking 132.5 mg out of original 200 mg

• 1 month later...

I've had a lot of these same issues, worse cramping, long periods, and exponentially increased anxiety during and after my period. I feel like I've got one good week out of the month and the other three are awful still. I've been off Lexapro completely for a few months, and I hope this starts to dissipate soon. I'm currently in the PMS period, feeling slightly panicky, shaky and anxious and have a killer headache. 

Lexapro 10mg samples prescribed by GP for anxiety late 2016. Stopped after a few days because of severe digestive symptoms, dizziness, increased anxiety. 

Prescribed 5mg Lexapro in January 2017 

March 31 started 7.5mg Lexapro

April 17 started Lexapro 10mg

April 25th back to lex 7.5 mg because of dizziness, increased anxiety, digestive issues

Approx. 2 weeks later went to 5mg Lexapro

February 26 2018 dropped to 2.5 Lexapro 

March 19 stopped Lexapro completely 

I got the Skyla birth control exactly three months before I started taking antidepressant medication. The extent of time that you are supposed to have Skyla IUD is three years, and three years was up for me this month. I'm terrified that if I go get it removed that I will spiral back into suicidal depression like I did in November three months after my C/T. But I also wonder if the Skyla birth control could be a contributor to why my C/T is as bad as it is. Maybe my body is having a hard time leveling out because the synthetic Skyla hormonal birth control is "poisoning" me in a way. I got my hormones checked a few weeks back and everything came back looking okay. But I've always been VERY sensitive to anything that I put in my body, so I'm wondering if the synthetic version of the hormones that Skyla is releasing into my blood stream could be making me worse. I'd love any first hand experience feedback with this issue, thanks!

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

Hi Hellbutrin ,

I have no idea about the birth control , but I have noticed from your posts around this site that your overall level of natural fear and worry is sky high. If anything is going to contribute to you getting worse or delaying your recovery, its that kind of fear and worry .. How is the CNS supposed to heal if you keep dumping tremendous amounts of stress and worry on it ?  What if's are the wrong way to facilitate healing .. The CNS needs as much calm and soothing environment as possible in order to heal . You also have to accept the fact that it will take time and be as patient as possible .. Bottom line is , Stress and worry hinders recovery .. 

December 2014 - Lexapro 20 mg

August 2016 Med free (6 week taper)

December 22 2021  added Abilify 5mg / Ativan .5mg / Depakote ER 1000mg

Discontinued Abilify 5mg on 12-30-21---accidental dose on 1-13-22 (looks like Ativan)

Ativan PRN/Discontinued 1-14-22

Only drug is Depakote ER 1000mg ( looking to taper slow and safe for once )

3/24/22 Depakote 625mg 

Propranolol 20-40mg  PRN

• Administrator

Very good point, Alice.

Hellbutrin, it's not very likely the IUD has anything to do with your withdrawal difficulties, but the hormonal content may have caused the symptoms for which you decided to take an antidepressant.

Please research potential side effects of your IUD.

As time goes on, the hormonal content of the IUD is diminished, so whatever adverse effect the hormonal content has on you would be less and less.

Cold turkey is a high-risk way to go off psychiatric drugs under any circumstances. You don't have to hunt for reasons why withdrawal symptoms from it might be severe.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Birth control pills or IUD causing withdrawal symptoms?
On 7/11/2018 at 2:23 PM, Altostrata said:

Very good point, Alice.

Hellbutrin, it's not very likely the IUD has anything to do with your withdrawal difficulties, but the hormonal content may have caused the symptoms for which you decided to take an antidepressant.

Please research potential side effects of your IUD.

As time goes on, the hormonal content of the IUD is diminished, so whatever adverse effect the hormonal content has on you would be less and less.

Cold turkey is a high-risk way to go off psychiatric drugs under any circumstances. You don't have to hunt for reasons why withdrawal symptoms from it might be severe.

I definitely know that I feel this way because of withdrawal. 

My thought is that if the hormonal content has diminished completely then maybe it might help to if I remove it and see if my body starts producing progesterone on it's own again. I stopped having periods 6 months ago around when I started getting really depressed, so I'm wondering if my body somehow forgot how to produce the hormones that caused my periods to start because it was relying on the IUD. So maybe removing the IUD would jump start my body to start making those hormones again. Just a thought. 

1. Started Wellbutrin 75 mg IR the end of 2015.
  2. Tried quitting cold turkey in June 30th- July 3rd 2017.
  3. Had severe withdrawals.
  4. Was placed on Wellbutrin 100mg SR so I could taper without withdrawal.
  5. Stabilized on 100mg SR for most of the month of July.
  6. Started tapering on July 17th,  2017.
  7. Completed taper on August 8th, 2017.
  8. Currently experiencing severe withdrawal.
  • Symptoms- Currently experiencing anhedonia, depersonalization/derealization, concentration/memory issues, chronic congestion, chronic dry eyes, dry skin, dislocated TMJ joint from teeth grinding during C/T withdrawal, waves of depression, anxiety, nausea, morning cortisol spikes, insomnia, agitation, food sensitivities, no tolerance for caffeine and chronic fatigue, burning muscle pain in upper and lower back and occasional tinninitus.
  • Supplements- Omega-3 fish oil supplement twice daily, 100 mg of magnesium once daily. 

• Administrator

You'll have to consult with a gynecologist. We don't know much about IUDs here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

Calling all ladies. Let's talk PMS/PMDD during W/D or tapering. I am suffering SO bad with this. Actually, my WD symptoms are so much better 2 weeks of the month, but like clockwork, two days before I start I drop into darkness. It's seriously the same every time. I'm feeling pretty good, positive that I am healing, then the NEXT day, BAM. I fell hopeless, crying, dark/weird/irrational intrusive thinking, and I'm just pissed off. Can anyone relate? It's scary.

I have had my hormone levels checked, and they are fine. It seems that WD and the meds cause you to be hypersensitive to your own hormone fluctuations. Does this get better with time? Will this heal as the WD gets better?? Anyone who's been through the trenches and out the other side, do you have words of encouragement? I don't know how I will live with this!

I have spoken to my gyno, and although I'm totally against BC, as it's always caused me symptoms and weight gain in the past, I was thinking of trying a low dose progesterone only that haults your periods. I know this is horrible, but I wonder if it will help with healing if there aren't those fluctuations for awhile? Has anyone tried chastberry? Had a reaction to it? I'm currently hypersensitive to some supplements...

Has anyone experimented with this?? Has anything helped? Made it worse?

Thoughts, stories, ideas are appreciated!

xx 

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

@PeachyI feel you!  I’m in the same boat. I know hormones are super sensitive to any stresses our bodies are dealing with so I have been trying to tell myself that they will eventually even out. This was one of my worst symptoms before I was on AD. (I had a job issue that caused all of my anxiety which I think affected my hormones. If I had quit my job I think I would’ve healed naturally) I’ve also had my hormones checked and they were fine. My homeopath had prescribed me a natural progesterone and I was on it for awhile but I don’t think it helped. I have noticed that my cycles are getting longer then they had been—they were 21 days—now up to 25 or 26. I’m at 20 months out and thinking that for me this will probably one of my last symptoms to resolve. I would love to hear some success stories as well of people whose issues resolved.

I have the same thoughts, depression, inner restlessness etc. Last month was especially difficult. I’m hoping this month I will see some symptoms lessen and I’ll have a little hope. 

My symptoms usually last last at least a week after I start. When do yours usually resolve?

Prayers for improvement for you—

Sheera

Started Lamictal and Brintellix in November 2015

May 2016 Discontinued Lamictal 100 to 50 and then stopped completely.

October 20, 2016 discontinued Brintellex 10 to 5 then went from 5 to 0 on November 10, 2016.

Currently off all antidepressants

Current Supplements:  L-Theanine, Natural Progesterone, L-Methylfolate, Vitamin D, Omega-3's, Probiotic

When I have my period or pms my withdrawal symptoms get more intense. 

My period and cycle are normal. But in general I feel a lot weaker and more tired during those days. That is normal.

My main withdrawal symptoms are widespread musclepain and nervepain. My pain gets worse during pms and my period.

When I was in withdrawal, third december 2017 I quit the birthcontrol pil. My cycle is since then normal. But I have lots of hair loss and acne since then! The birth control pil I took was meant to help with acne and hair loss too. So now I suffer hairloss and acne as a withdrawal effect from the birthcontrol pill! (My hormones and scalp were checked by a dermatologist and according to her everything was normal.) Before I was very young. I had acne but no hairloss. After more than 20 years I quit the birthcontrol pill. I am 43 now. 

2019 2.1 mg amitriptyline ,15th july 2.1 mg, 22-7 2.09 mg, 29-7 2.08 mg, 5-8 2.09 mg , 7-8 2.1 mg . 2020 Holding at 2.1 mg

2019 125 mg lyrica, 15th july 124,5 mg, 22-7 124 mg, 29-7 123,5 mg, 4-8 124 mg 2020 holding at 124 mg

2015 january building up my medication to 450 mg lyrica and 50 mg amitriptyline for face ache after a rootcanal treatment at the dentist. 2016 february start tapering lyrica from 450 mg to 200 mg 2016 october tapered 25 mg amitriptyline to 25 mg 2017 tapered lyrica from 200 mg to 100 mg 2017 september tapered my last tablet of 25 mg amitriptyline to zero  (horrible muscle pain started) 2018 february tapered lyrica from 100 mg to 75 mg (my muscle pain got worse and I have a lot of nervepain in my arms and legs, sometimes all over musclepain and nerve pain and burning pain) 2018 may reinstated 25 mg lyrica. My current dose is 100 mg lyrica. My pain is still very bad but a little less intense, my mood improved. 2018 since 22th may updose amitriptyline.  9 beads. 2018 june updosing lyrica. 2018 16 th june 125 mg lyrica and 9 beads amitriptyline ( 2mg) Now I'm doing a long hold. I can't taper anymore. Too much pain. I hope to stabilize and improve while holding. I'm trying graded activity to get rid of my pain. 2019 1 jan. Lyrica 125 mg (holding) 2019 1 jan. Amitriptyline tapering from 9 beads to 8 beads (1 jan. 2019),  8,5 beads (5 jan 19), 9 beads (16 jan 19) tapper attempt failed

I have had one period (that was late) since I quit taking Effexor in January of this year. I didn’t even think about that being something related to withdrawal. My body is so out of whack right now, and I’m starting to realize that everything points back to the withdrawal. It’s crazy. I’m trying to trust that my body knows how to heal itself as long as I give it what it needs.

Celexa 1998-2004 

Celexa 2008-2017

Effexor XR 300 mg 2007- Dec. 2017 (tapered down over 2-3 months)

7/27/18 began 10 beads of Effexor every morning 

Hi 

I was just going to post about my iud 

Then I read what @Altostrata had put...

My iud as ran out & is due to be needing to be taken out 

But am just wondering if this is a bad move while in WD & tapering the Benzo...

I thought I best ask around to see if I should leave it.

Thanks pink 

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

Hi yogiem, Gland you recently posted on this thread. It seems like we're not alone with what we've been going through. I have recently started tapering off of Lexapro and I've noticed that my PMS is at least 5x worse than what it normally is during...everything does seem to point to withdrawal like you said. 

Tapering from 20 mg beginning 7/16/18 

7/16 - 7/22 18 mg

7/23 - 7/27 16 mg 

My PMS is way worse in WD, there are symptoms I get mostly during this phase: I become suicidal, I cry with no reason, I have brain fog and deep depression, freaking out.

I want to point out that even before ADs I suffered from PMS. I remember the most depressive days of my life were related to PMS. Fortunately they were isolated days. I even went to my GP (like in 2013) to claim this problem and he suggested magnesium in the first place, but it didn't do much for me back then, just like in the present situation. 

The feelings I have now resemble very much what I used to feel, except they are 10 times stronger. Effexor masked them a little bit.

Just wanted to report my experience and suggest everyone to keep track of your menstrual cycle so that you can be prepared and not think for the worst while in these days. 

November 2014 - September 2015: Zoloft 50 mg, Trilafon 4mg, clonazepam 1mg
October 2015 - September 2016: Effexor 75 mg
September 2016 - January 2017: Effexor 150 mg
Stopped Effexor in March 2017 after tapering under medical supervision
The doctor I've now found is an expert in withdrawal from ADs
Persistent withdrawal syndrome since July 2017: Prozac 10 mg, clonazepam 0.5 mg, to cope with it.
December 2017 -  withdrawing from Prozac, 10 mg every 2 days
Drug free since January (?) 2018

Symptoms: pins and needles, burning skin sensations, PSSD, OCD, mood swings (a lot), malaise (a lot), muscle spasms, voice in my conscience. 

Doing not so bad, but I want to be the person I was. 

Ladies, read this essay and tell me if you think this woman is in WD.  She says she has taken citalopram and sertraline and neither helped her peri-menopause.  She doesn't say whether she took those drugs prior to becoming perimenopausal, but I would love to know.  She has endometriosis and has never had children.  She is now taking estrogen and progesterone, and she's still reporting symptoms of AD withdrawal, but she believes she has a terrible cause of "the change."

What is the relationship between these conditions, perimenopause and WD?  Does WD mimic perimenopause?  Maybe even in men?!  And young women?  Do some people get dysautonomia (the technical term for the destabilization of the nervous system that causes many WD symptoms) from perimenopause?  Is perimenopause worse in people who take antidepressants?  

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/aug/16/it-feels-impossible-to-beat-how-i-was-floored-by-menopause#img-3

I would love to see someone write a book about this coincidence or connection.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

@Rosetta I just read the article and, maybe, I think I can shed some light on this by telling you my experience?

I went through peri menopause with few symptoms. Mostly night sweats. However, menopause was a different thing. I had more severe night sweats and off and on nausea. I had 2, out of the blue panic attacks, for no reason and I did not have anxiety. I see an ob that specializes in menopause and HRT. She ran a very detailed panel of blood work in March 2017. All was normal except my female hormones, no testosterone, no progesterone but still making a small about of estrogen. That said, I selected to replace the hormones. I get it in pellet form. I got my first insertion in April 2017. Now fast forward to June 2017. That is when my withdrawal symptoms began. They were severe and I had everything falling apart, both mentally and physically. I had no idea what was going on. My internist said it was the HRT causing the problems. I went back to my ob and she ran another detailed panel in July of 2017. At that point, my entire endocrine system was off. Hypothyroidism, high cortisol ect. She told me it was from the ct from the Wellbutrin. She said everything would, eventually go back to normal but it would take quite a while. She did not call it withdrawal though. I had another insertion of hormones in Aug 2017. Keep in mind, I started HRT in April of 2017. Started withdrawal in June 2017. Had normal blood work in May of 2017 and abnormal blood work in July 2017. To me this was complications of stopping the Wellbutrin. 

Since i had 2 drs telling me 2 different reasons for my illness, I decided to take a break from the HRT to see what happens. My ob said it would take a full 6 months to remove the hormones from my body. I waited 9 months. In that 9 months, my withdrawal symptoms got worse and my night sweats came back. I also noticed the anxiety, which I had all of the time from the withdrawal, was really severe and not improving. All of that said, it was not the hormones causing these symptoms. 

I chose to start HRT again and had an insertion in early May 2018. Since then, the anxiety has improved a lot. Not gone, but much better than it was prior to that. My energy level is better and I do not suffer from any type of depression.

In my case, I believe the HRT helped me and is still helping me through this journey. Having balanced hormones helps with depression and anxiety. It is very common for women to have both, during menopause. Balancing the hormones back out usually helps with that. And, in my case, it has. I get my pellet insertion every 3 and a half to 4 months. 

I think you are correct, this women is going through withdrawal. If you have any questions about HRT please don't hesitate to ask me. 

Hugs and prayers

Started Wellbutrin 300xl mid July, 2009. Stopped Wellbutrin 300xl cold turkey May 8, 2017

Started having symptoms started June 2, 2017. Started Wellbutrin 150xl July 7, 2017

Started Remeron 15mg August 15, 2017. Increased Remeron to 30mg October 4, 2017

Increased Wellbutrin to 300xl November 24, 2017. Lowered Wellbutrin 300xl back to 150xl January 8, 2018

Started weaning off of Remeron 30mg. Cut to 22.25mg January 11, 2018

Cut Remeron to 15mg January 18, 2018 Cut Remeron to 7.5mg January 25, 2018

Cut Remeron to 3.5mg January 30,2018. Stopped taking Remeron February 1, 2018

Currently taking: Fish Oil, Magnesium, Calcium, Vit D, Progesterone,

Hormone Replacement Pellets-Estrogen Testosterone 

• 1 month later...
On 8/9/2018 at 7:50 PM, mariposa84 said:

Hi yogiem, Gland you recently posted on this thread. It seems like we're not alone with what we've been going through. I have recently started tapering off of Lexapro and I've noticed that my PMS is at least 5x worse than what it normally is during...everything does seem to point to withdrawal like you said. 

HI @mariposa84! I'm also tapering down from 20mg of Lexapro. My period is horrendous at this stage. Migraines, extreme fatigue/no motivation, extreme irrational anger and irritation, instrusive thoughts, and of course serious depression and crying to the point of suicidal thoughts. Then as soon as my period ends, it mostly all levels out to a certain degree. Are you experiencing any of this? Its' so bad I can't hold down a job. 

How long have you been on Lexapro? Are you getting bad mental symptoms even with tapering? That has been the case for me...

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

On 8/15/2018 at 5:06 AM, littleball said:

My PMS is way worse in WD, there are symptoms I get mostly during this phase: I become suicidal, I cry with no reason, I have brain fog and deep depression, freaking out.

I want to point out that even before ADs I suffered from PMS. I remember the most depressive days of my life were related to PMS. Fortunately they were isolated days. I even went to my GP (like in 2013) to claim this problem and he suggested magnesium in the first place, but it didn't do much for me back then, just like in the present situation. 

The feelings I have now resemble very much what I used to feel, except they are 10 times stronger. Effexor masked them a little bit.

Just wanted to report my experience and suggest everyone to keep track of your menstrual cycle so that you can be prepared and not think for the worst while in these days. 

@littleball

I have the same thing happening, except I never experienced PMS before. Not really at least, besides the minor ache and pain, and tired. Im a serious mess every period, and it takes me a good week to come out of it, just to start it all over again. It's draining. Is yours any better?

XX

I have missed 2 periods since my father died in February this year.

My cycle is completely messed up, and I'm getting "false" results back for phantom bladder infections.

GP is onto it (at LONG last), and I'll be getting the result back from a urine sample this week.

Next up will be FSH test, etc.,

Don't know what to say other than WD, Peri-meno and bereavement are playing havoc on my body.

Next up will be braving the workplace again.

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

On 4/18/2012 at 6:41 AM, DSN13 said:

Ever since I started the tapering process from Lexapro (20mg for 14 years, started tapering in January and am now on 5mg) I have been experiencing PMS to the worst degree. Physically it feels about the same, but emotionally I am a wreck. I am overly anxious, shaky and can cry at the drop of a hat. I want to curl up in a ball of tears in bed and not leave my house. I need some support doing this difficult time. Has anyone else experience this as well?

yes yes yes. I am experiencing this. I have complete doom overcome me. Im physically exhausted too. It takes about a week to recover from each period too. I hope this heals. Im also still on 5mg down from 20mg, same time on the drug as well. I even get weird disordered thinking and extreme anger and agitation. I would say thats the scariest part. 

• 3 weeks later...

Are there any success stories of women who struggled greatly with PMS during WD and this healed? 

I'm really concerned I'm now stuck with a PMDD diagnoses... :(

• Moderator Emeritus

I was in the process of posting to suggest trying magnesium when I decided to do a quick google search on PMS and seen that both magnesium and omega 3 are suggested.  They are the two supplements which SA recommends for WD.  

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

@ChessieCat

Thank you! Those are the two supplements that I take :) 

I'm wondering if anyone started having extreme mental symptoms during WD, but they got WAY worse during their periods? 

Does this start to heal as the WD process heals?

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Peachy said:

Those are the two supplements that I take

What doses are you taking?  Do you take magnesium throughout the day or only once a day?

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
4 hours ago, Peachy said:

I'm wondering if anyone started having extreme mental symptoms during WD, but they got WAY worse during their periods? 

Have you read through all 7 pages of this topic?

@ChessieCat

yes I did read all 7 pages, multiple times. It’s just that no one has come back to say that they experienced this AND it healed and went away after WD. This is the reassurance I guess I’m after... 

I also see a lot about pain and physical symptoms getting worse, but not much about mental stuff. 

I take a liquid magnesium throughout the day. Sometimes i feel like it gives me side effects though, which sounds rare? 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am over 10 months off drugs. I have seen some improvement in regard to wd. However, 10 days ago 'A BIG WAVE' hit and now I see myself as if I am back to 6 months earlier. I know this is the nature of wd....Praying things will settle again....

But currently my problem is premenstrual issues. Since I quit the drugs every menstrual cycle is a problem but my distress is incresing (nausea, stomach discomfort, extreme fatigue, brain fog, anxiety, depression, cortisol awakenings, joint pain, dizziness, vertigo like feeling, headache, edema all over my hands, feet, face, etc.) although my wd symptoms are improving. 

I mean when I was at 5 months off, wd was horrible but PMS was more managable. But now I am over 10 months off and PMS is draving me crazy. I do not know is this because I am also in a terrible wave?

Please anyone recovered from PMS/ PMDD?

6 months treatment of prozac in 1996 (do not remember any withdrawal symptom)

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

October 2017- Suicidal. Had to start Mirtazapine

17 December 2017 LAST DOSE   

NO DRUG AFTER 17 DECEMBER 2017.

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

@wanttosurvive

I would also love to hear story of women healing from this... I am REALLY struggling every period, like you.

Really looking for good news...🙏

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

On 11/2/2018 at 4:46 PM, wanttosurvive said:

Really looking for good news...🙏

yes it was really bad for me. i had a wave at 9 months out that caused me to re-instate.

in my case, i am in my early 40's and this is a tender age for a woman.

i had a saliva test done and my level of progesterone dip drastically a week before my periods.  progesterone is a natural calming hormones that also works on the gaba receptors. 

it starts to build back up a couple  of days after the periods end.

the worst was the 2 first years. i had to hold my taper 2 weeks out of the month (it was as if i CT'ed my meds at each pms) and now i can micro taper through it.

hang in there, like everything else, it will pass!

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

april to june 2016- valium 4mg, xanax as needed, lunesta 3mg

june 2016 - valium 4mg, lexapro 10mg

oct 2016- valium 2mg, lexapro 10mg- hold

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

LAST dose of Lexapro: 0.05mg on 05/17/19

LAST dose of valium: 0.04mg on 08/18/19

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

1 hour ago, xyz said:

yes it was really bad for me. i had a wave at 9 months out that caused me to re-instate.

in my case, i am in my early 40's and this is a tender age for a woman.

i had a saliva test done and my level of progesterone dip drastically a week before my periods.  progesterone is a natural calming hormones that also works on the gaba receptors. 

it starts to build back up a couple  of days after the periods end.

the worst was the 2 first years. i had to hold my taper 2 weeks out of the month (it was as if i CT'ed my meds at each pms) and now i can micro taper through it.

hang in there, like everything else, it will pass!

Hi Xyz,

Thank you for your reply. How can I express my feelings? I am so desperate, I just needed an answer. Thank you very much....

I think I am in the wave, so-called '10 month wave'. It is soooo overwhelming and plus these menstrual issues, ugh...

Time and patience, nothing to do...

1 hour ago, wanttosurvive said:

Hi Xyz,

Thank you for your reply. How can I express my feelings? I am so desperate, I just needed an answer. Thank you very much....

I think I am in the wave, so-called '10 month wave'. It is soooo overwhelming and plus these menstrual issues, ugh...

Time and patience, nothing to do...

9-10 months wave is very common. just ride the wave.

the PMS symptoms will lessen with time. try to distract and stay busy. i know it is really hard.

i struggled a lot but in the end even while still tapering i am mentally better now than ever.

distraction and living one day at a time is the key. Time flies when you do that. sending you hugs.

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

32 minutes ago, xyz said:

9-10 months wave is very common. just ride the wave.

the PMS symptoms will lessen with time. try to distract and stay busy. i know it is really hard.

i struggled a lot but in the end even while still tapering i am mentally better now than ever.

distraction and living one day at a time is the key. Time flies when you do that. sending you hugs.

Xyz, I am really grateful for your support. Yes, what I am trying to do is just to hold on.

I also send warm hugs from deep in my heart 🧡

Happy healing, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 2:32 AM, xyz said:

Thats good to hear! Are you healed from WD now? And it took 2 years AFTER you were off to stop having PMS? Or during your taper? 

Can I ask what symptoms you had? Mine are mostly mental/emotional.

Did you make your own liquid for the taper?

Thanks!! 

XX

11 hours ago, Peachy said:

Thats good to hear! Are you healed from WD now? And it took 2 years AFTER you were off to stop having PMS? Or during your taper? 

Can I ask what symptoms you had? Mine are mostly mental/emotional.

Did you make your own liquid for the taper?

Thanks!! 

XX

please see my signature for my meds history.

i am still micro tapering.

symptoms were both mental and physical.

if you have have Ct'ed a benzo, well my symptoms were similar.

panic attacks, head and body buzzing, hot/cold, insomnia, cortisol surge etc.

now it is back to normal Pms and i can micro taper through it.

i believe that 2 years ago, i was destabilized and the the dip in progesterone each months sent me back into withdrawal. now that my gaba receptor are healing through a slow taper, my periods are not as bad anymore.

I'm having awful PMS too (7 months from last AD dose) and very irregular periods.

FSH came back as "normal", but am borderline with "the change".

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy