Birth control pills and other hormonal birth control

Soul

Thanks @xyz !

I'm really glad that is resolved for you! 

How long of a time did the bad PMS last for you? I know we are all different. Mine has been bad for 2.5 years now, but worse the last few months...

Thanks!

med history: 17 years total

Concerta: 2 yrs - cold turkey, brought on first "depression" 

Short trials of Zoloft and Effexor: 1-3 years - multiple cold turkey's brought on OCD intrusive thoughts for the first time

Lexapro 15-20 mg (16 yrs)  - tried to quit once, cold turkey, worst WD ever, had to go on to 20mg to stop WD

Welbutrin 150mg (8-ish yrs) NO w/d symptoms from CT

Adderall 5-7.5mg (8-10-ish yrs) quit CT, brought on many WD symptoms, but manageable. 

Begin taper March 2018 Currently on 4.4 mg lexapro - down from 20mg

Symptoms depression, horrible intrusive thoughts and urges, new onset PMS/PMDD, constant extreme irritation and anger, visual hallucinations, irrational thinking patterns, panic, nausea, dizzy, intolerance to working out, chemical sensitivities, noise sensitivities, memory issues, heart palps, etc. 

1 hour ago, Peachy said:

Thanks @xyz !

I'm really glad that is resolved for you! 

How long of a time did the bad PMS last for you? I know we are all different. Mine has been bad for 2.5 years now, but worse the last few months...

Thanks!

2.5 years

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

april to june 2016- valium 4mg, xanax as needed, lunesta 3mg

june 2016 - valium 4mg, lexapro 10mg

oct 2016- valium 2mg, lexapro 10mg- hold

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

LAST dose of Lexapro: 0.05mg on 05/17/19

LAST dose of valium: 0.04mg on 08/18/19

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

On 10/31/2018 at 11:48 AM, wanttosurvive said:

Hi,

I am over 10 months off drugs. I have seen some improvement in regard to wd. However, 10 days ago 'A BIG WAVE' hit and now I see myself as if I am back to 6 months earlier. I know this is the nature of wd....Praying things will settle again.... 

But currently my problem is premenstrual issues. Since I quit the drugs every menstrual cycle is a problem but my distress is incresing (nausea, stomach discomfort, extreme fatigue, brain fog, anxiety, depression, cortisol awakenings, joint pain, dizziness, vertigo like feeling, headache, edema all over my hands, feet, face, etc.) although my wd symptoms are improving. 

I mean when I was at 5 months off, wd was horrible but PMS was more managable. But now I am over 10 months off and PMS is draving me crazy. I do not know is this because I am also in a terrible wave?

Please anyone recovered from PMS/ PMDD?

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I 'm 13 months off all drugs I was improving steadily in terms of wd symptoms.

2 months now, 4 days before my period starts I feel like a big wave hits me. I feel super stressed, want to cry, feel achy like I have the flu, dizzy and so so so unwell.

I never had any issues with period and PMS before and during taking medication. I 'm desperate now cause I don't know how to handle this new situation. I feel like I 'm going backwards

in terms of improvement.

I want to do some hormonal tests and see if I have any imbalance. If anyone knows what's the best test to check hormones (saliva or blood) and when it should be done

I would be grateful to get some insight.

February 2012: Prozac 60mg

August 2015: Concerta 36mg

March 2016: Concerta reduced to 18mg

September 2016: Prozac lowered to 20mg

September 2017: cold turkey both Prozac and Concerta

Now: experiencing severe withdrawal from both medications

Hi Isabellax,

I have not done any hormonal tests, also I do not plan to. On the other hand, I have lots of other wd symptoms, I do not apply any doctor for them. Here doctors do not have any idea about the severity of wd...

6 months treatment of prozac in 1996 (do not remember any withdrawal symptom)

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

October 2017- Suicidal. Had to start Mirtazapine

17 December 2017 LAST DOSE   

NO DRUG AFTER 17 DECEMBER 2017.

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

Hi, 

Have you ever tried inositol? I take 4g daily, it helped me a lot with the awful PMS symptoms. 

Link to SA's topic:  inositol

Edited by ChessieCat
added link to topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I just thought I’d share my lexapro she period experience. 

I’ve been on lexapro since around August 2016, they made my breasts bigger and mood swings before my period really bad. I’d feel depressed for two weeks before my period too. 

Ive been tapering down from 10mg of lexapro for maybe over 2 months, I’m down to 5mg now and intended to stick on 5mg for a while, but my periods are all over the place. I find it quite scary as I’m 35, not had children because I’m single and have had chronic fatigue since November 2016, and it concerns me. 

Anyway I tried evening primrose a few times while on lexapro but it made my period 6-8weeks late each time. I was wondering if it’s connected to lexapro increasing prolactin or something? 

I feel completely lost being irregular. 

2001 - Prozac 20mg for a week weeks   2001- Venelaxafine 37.5 mg  2006 - Ciptralex 10mg I think   2008 - Mirtazipine (not sure of dose, was the lowest though).  2008 - Citalopram (standard dose)  2009 - Prozac 20mg until 29 Feb 2016  2016 - Setraline 25mg for 3 days (from March 3rd until March 5th).  2016 - 11th March Reinstated 5mg prozac. 26th May 2016 down to 4.5mg Prozac. 26June 2016 down to 4mg prozac. Back up to 5mg on 3rd July 2016.

Supplements - B- Complex, Flaxseed oil, L-lysine 1000mg, Iron 20mg. Spirulina 500mg. Quest Synergist Magnesium 150mg, Salmon oil 1000mg twice a day, Evening Primrose oil 500mg. 

Cipralex 10mg 17th July 2016.

The stress of WD can cause irregularity in the menstrual cycle.  Been there, that's for sure.

Also, you COULD have entered into peri-meno?  Have you had your hormone levels checked?

They can start to get irregular mid-30s and right the way through your 40s and into menopause.

Talk to your GP too, who MIGHT suggest a pelvic ultrasound just to check all is well in the reproductive area.

Hope you can get some answers.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Misc,

Thank you for your advice, but I am afraid to use anything. Since I react everything do not use any supplement. But thanks indeed.

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

• Moderator Emeritus
On 11/20/2018 at 11:09 AM, Misc said:

Have you ever tried inositol? I take 4g daily, it helped me a lot with the awful PMS symptoms. 

Link to SA's topic:  inositol

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Ladies—I’m having the same issues with PMS right now. It’s so terrible.  My sleep and mood is greatly affected and I never know what I’m going to get. Right now I’m SO ANGRY. I want to be alone. I can’t think or follow conversations or get jokes. I am overwhelmed by my schedule (which is silly because I’m on Christmas break). It’s strange too because I am at 2 years off all drugs and I don’t remember it being this terrible in the beginning.  I think it might be because I’m feeling a higher level of WD normal during the other parts of my cycle and so the desperation and despair I feel during PMS is a shock to my system. I let my guard down and then BOOM—an emotional spiral. 

I have to think that this is just another step in the healing process. I am 42 and so I think my hormones are out of whack anyway—this just makes it 1000000 times worse.  

I have noticed improvement in my cycle length. I was averaging 21 days for my cycle—😭—and now it’s 22. Haha doesn’t seem like much but one extra day without symptoms is amazing. 

Just going to try and get through today knowing that it will pass. It always does. 

Sheera

Started Lamictal and Brintellix in November 2015

May 2016 Discontinued Lamictal 100 to 50 and then stopped completely.

October 20, 2016 discontinued Brintellex 10 to 5 then went from 5 to 0 on November 10, 2016.

Currently off all antidepressants

Current Supplements:  L-Theanine, Natural Progesterone, L-Methylfolate, Vitamin D, Omega-3's, Probiotic

Hi Sheera,

When I first started this topic in October 31th, I was so desperate.... crying, shouting... like I was changing into a monster within days. I was SUICIDAL.... I also had lots of physical symptoms. 

Now it has passed 2 months. I do not understand I am also in a premenstureal period now but with little symptoms. The period in November was also tolerable. Maybe this is because I am in a bright window right now. Who knows? But I am sure about that when period comes in a wave it is awful and when it comes in a window it is more tolerable. 

Hugs 🧡🧡🧡

I'm so happy to read this, wanttosurvive! My PMDD diagnosis is the reason i was handed lexapro in the 1st place. Glad to know it gets better!

Prozac (?mg)

- March 6, 2017. took it for 6 days and on day 7 had an adverse reaction. I believe it was serotonin syndrome.

Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10mg

-March 15 , 2017: first dose of Lexapro and stabilized within 3 weeks.

-April 19, 2018:  began to taper 1 yr from first dose

- style of tapering: 10 mg to 5mg (2 months). 5mg to 2.5mg (2-3 weeks) 2.5mg to 1.25mg (2 weeks). 1.25mg every other day (2 weeks).

- August 19, 2018: 0mg

- felt fine for weeks after 0mg. Had minor panic attacks if I didn't eat every 4 hrs. otherwise felt fine. 
- Mid September: had teeth extractions done, given antibiotics (ammox) and had severe rash reaction to it, was then given a steroid shot to alleviate the rash. This is when things started to go downhill. 

- October 4, 2018: intense withdrawal symptoms started 6 weeks after 0 mg.  

- October 13, 2018: reinstated using the oral solution ( .20mg)/ 10.17.18: .30mg/ 12.8.18: .29mg/12.31.18: .28mg

On 11/4/2018 at 2:56 PM, xyz said:

9-10 months wave is very common. just ride the wave.

the PMS symptoms will lessen with time. try to distract and stay busy. i know it is really hard.

i struggled a lot but in the end even while still tapering i am mentally better now than ever.

distraction and living one day at a time is the key. Time flies when you do that. sending you hugs.

What is 9-10 months wave? I have very bad pms, it's been the worst ever now, and I'm soon in my 9th month off lexapro. 

Hi Eleda,

I definitely believe in these periods when waves rear their ugly face. My acute WD typically lasted 4-6 weeks, then I got the honeymoon period, which exactly ended in the cutoff point of 3. month. Then again exactly at the begining of 5. month I began to experience new, weird symptoms that I was unfamiliar with.  I call this month 'The horrible 5'. Then again I started the experience typical waves and windows and at 10 month I experienced 10 month wave ( which started exactly 21 october, my last dose was 17 december). 

And my 10. month wave was the second worse after 5.

I do not want to frighten anyone but this was the exactly what had happened. 

You can read the topic 'Are We There Yet? How Long is Wd Going to Take' by BRASSMONKEY. He perfectly describes these milestones.

Hugs 🧡

3 hours ago, Eleda said:

What is 9-10 months wave? I have very bad pms, it's been the worst ever now, and I'm soon in my 9th month off lexapro. 

my 9-10 months waves was worst than acute. i was off klonopin that i tapered very fast.

i didn't know what was happening to me.

since you know it now, just ride through it. i have heard that after this, it gets easier.

i didn't know and re-instated on valium. :(

by the time i will be done with my second taper off benzo, it would have taken me 3 years...

so ride through it.

my periods are almost normal now.

june 2014 to feb  2015- on xanax 0.25 to 1mg/day- then CT - jan 2016 - panic attack, went on 3.75mg remeron to sleep march 2016- CT remeron (because it caused me tinnitus)- deep depression, couldn't sleep because of  intrusive Tinnitus

march 2017- started daily micro liquid taper of valium and lex- -taper speed 0.0033mg valium daily and 0.033mg lex daily

may 2018- valium 1mg, lexapro 2.4mg - i had to slow down the rate of my daily micro taper considerably

April 26th 2020- intense panic attack that lasted 4 days, akatisia, 0 sleep- suicidal, almost hospitalized- took rescue doses over 2 days- total: 1.5mg xanax, 18mg valium, 2x5mg lexapro

4 hours ago, xyz said:

my 9-10 months waves was worst than acute. i was off klonopin that i tapered very fast.

i didn't know what was happening to me.

since you know it now, just ride through it. i have heard that after this, it gets easier.

i didn't know and re-instated on valium. :(

by the time i will be done with my second taper off benzo, it would have taken me 3 years...

so ride through it.

my periods are almost normal now.

Xyz, you give me strenght.

When I have first written about this topic, you said 'Just ride the wave'. This was true. Waves will come again, but eventually it will all pass.

Happy healing 🧡

Thank you, I have so much to learn! I just had the worst wave yet, with insane pms symptoms, I didn’t feel like I had any more fight left in me, so I reinstated Lexapro, but it made me really sick, so I had to stop. I’m now really happy it did, because I regret it so much now that I know it was a wave and that it will get better. 

26 minutes ago, Eleda said:

Thank you, I have so much to learn! I just had the worst wave yet, with insane pms symptoms, I didn’t feel like I had any more fight left in me, so I reinstated Lexapro, but it made me really sick, so I had to stop. I’m now really happy it did, because I regret it so much now that I know it was a wave and that it will get better. 

Eleda,

believe me i had the worst PMS ever!

i was so suicidal that i had to run to my neighbor until my husband came home.

i am glad that you didn't re-instate. the most valuable lesson that i have learned is that "Nothing last, don't fear the feeling". Let it run its course, and it will go away on his own.

keep your mind on practical stuff, keep up with your day in and out task, . don't overthink your symptoms. your symptoms are signs of healing.

your nervous system will regulate itself, and return to normal.

I also get suicidal, this time it was extremely bad, that’s why I thought I needed the pills, because they help with pms. I have one week of relief from pms every month, it’s so bad, so I got a bit desperate. But now I know, I’ll try to stay focused on the healing and ride it out. It’s easier when I actually understand what’s happening to me, even though it’s still a living hell. So happy I found this site ❤️

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Eleda said:

It’s easier when I actually understand what’s happening to me

Yes, the understanding means that we know what is going on and don't get the second fear.  Or fear of the fear.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

7 hours ago, Eleda said:

I also get suicidal, this time it was extremely bad, that’s why I thought I needed the pills, because they help with pms. I have one week of relief from pms every month, it’s so bad, so I got a bit desperate. But now I know, I’ll try to stay focused on the healing and ride it out. It’s easier when I actually understand what’s happening to me, even though it’s still a living hell. So happy I found this site ❤️

Eleda,

Before WD I had never had PMS, like I had never had other weird symptoms of this unusual disease. I know it does not make sense now but although I had only taken the drugs for couple of months now I am paying the price for months and maybe years of suffering of my life. WD ruined my last 1,5 years. I am still semi-homebound, do not work, still live my parents. Although now I have regained my courage to live alone (I had lived alone for the last 8 years before WD) I can not move since I have financial problems. Now waiting for some time to heal much more in order to start to work again. 

In regard to premenstureal issues it is definitely changing. I do not know how it has happened. But at month 10, I was just like you. Suicidal, frustrated, confused... I do not understand, now again I am waiting my period, but I am better. I think since you are 9 months off drugs, the reason for increased symptoms is the common wave occuring at that time.

Take care🧡

ladies,

we should get a medal for surviving PMS every month while in withdrawal.

i had PMS before but just the cranky and tired type, when the wave hit me, i lost sleep days at time and was worried over silly things. and then bam one day, it turned into akathisia.

like you Eleda, i only had 1 week of relief in a month. now it is just a couple of days (they are bad cramps and a lot of swearing)

getting back on the med, didn't help me much. slowly tapering them taught me a lot more about acceptance and gave me trust that i would recover.

it is harder when you are off drugs because having symptoms at 9-10 months out doesn't seem to make sense. but for the nervous system that works behind the scene, it does.

the worst wave usually brings the best  window, i bet in 2 or 3 months, you will feel a mile better.

if you are healthy enough, try to exercise. cardio work regulates hormones production and trains your nervous system to be more resilient to stress.

Hey all. trying to figure this forum stuff out. I have not made my introduction but I will. YES! I have been diagnosed with PMDD in this last year. I am 40. 4 yrs ago I was misdiagnosed as having a brain tumor and it caused me anxiety. duh. they put me on 25mg zoloft and I stayed on it for 3 yrs NC my doc said I would never be able to come off of them. that I was just "wired differently" than. other people. yeah he said that. anyway I weaned myself off super slowly even though doc told me I could have quit cold Turkey from such a low dose. yeah he said that too. 4 months later is when I literally felt like I was losing my mind. it was like postpartum depression with the thoughts. other than when I had ppd I had never experienced anything like this but this way about 100x worse. it was withdrawals and I knew it but my dr argued with me and made me feel crazy so in the name of doing anything for my family I went back on them. he wouldnt hear that these "swings" were happening worse from ovulation to menses and then disappeared for a week or so. I'm weaning from lexapro 10mg now. down from 20mg. didnt have suicidal thoughts until they upped the ssri. not alone 

2020, October the 2nd

(in this members words)

Off the offending meds now for 1.5 years

Zoloft, Lexapro, then a whole ton of drugs i was destroyed by in hospitals

On 12/31/2018 at 10:36 AM, wanttosurvive said:

Eleda,

Before WD I had never had PMS, like I had never had other weird symptoms of this unusual disease. I know it does not make sense now but although I had only taken the drugs for couple of months now I am paying the price for months and maybe years of suffering of my life. WD ruined my last 1,5 years. I am still semi-homebound, do not work, still live my parents. Although now I have regained my courage to live alone (I had lived alone for the last 8 years before WD) I can not move since I have financial problems. Now waiting for some time to heal much more in order to start to work again. 

In regard to premenstureal issues it is definitely changing. I do not know how it has happened. But at month 10, I was just like you. Suicidal, frustrated, confused... I do not understand, now again I am waiting my period, but I am better. I think since you are 9 months off drugs, the reason for increased symptoms is the common wave occuring at that time.

Take care🧡

Ladies Hi,

I am sorry but I have to update my recent situation, since I am now in terrible PMS again.

MY PERIOD IS LATE.

Moreover, 4 days ago a new wave hit. Current symptoms of the wave are as follows:

1. Nausea in the morning, terrible stomach pain in the afternoon and then

2. Increased brain fog

3. Headache,

4. Hot flushes (most probably this is because of PMS)

5. Cortisol awakening (Thanks God, it is much much better when compared with old days)

5. Unbearable morning anxiety

6. Pronounced edema in lips, chin, central face, hands, feet (edema is my WD symptom, but in general it is more pronounded in PMS)

7. Not suicidal but in extreme anger

8. Extreme lack of energy

9. Anhedonia

On the other hand, I got unconditional symptoms that I got everytime (tooth ache, pins and needles like sensation, jaw pain, etc....) this is about the wave. Maybe my period is late because of the wave, I do not know.

My tummy is 4-5 times bigger than the original.... as if I am a pregnant in her 3rd trimester. 

But I have good news, I did not get the following sypmtoms that I had in earlier months in PMS

1. Noise, light, motion sensitivity,

2. Dizziness

3. Muscle pain and joint pain (I got muscle and joint 15 days earlier, passed, I know will come again but I do not have now)

This was the update....But I am really sorry, although things are getting better, I am in torture now,  :(

On 1/8/2019 at 9:34 AM, wanttosurvive said:

This was the update....But I am really sorry, although things are getting better, I am in torture now,  :(

Hi WTS, sorry to hear that you have a bad one this month.

it was up and down for me for while then it steadied out now.

for the last 2 Pms it was mostly very bad cramp and feeling vulnerable. so a lot of progress.

i still get this "i wish i was gone" but then it passes.

don't worry too much, no days are the same.

keep living your life.

Xyz, thank you for your kind support...

My period has just recently started...

But the wave continues in its extreme severity.... Indeed, I  must accept this, since I am only over 1 year off drugs. It is so unfair, but this is a brutal disease. 

On the other hand, in general I can easily say that if the period comes in a wave, it is awful, but if it comes in a window, it is more tolerable. Most probably, lots of the symptoms that I experience just merely linked with the wave...I do not know...

Best wishes...

I'm also at the "magic 10 months off" Lexapro.

Just had a VERY heavy period which lasted 4-5 days.  It started on the 1st Jan.

Off the back of which I started having very painful cystitis symptoms.

GP said it was normal to be passing g blood in urine 12 days after my period started.

She said an inflamed womb can irritate the bladder, which I think is what is happening here.

We discussed the coil and oestrogen HRT to help reduce peri-menopause symptoms.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

23 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

I'm also at the "magic 10 months off" Lexapro.

Just had a VERY heavy period which lasted 4-5 days.  It started on the 1st Jan.

Off the back of which I started having very painful cystitis symptoms.

GP said it was normal to be passing g blood in urine 12 days after my period started.

She said an inflamed womb can irritate the bladder, which I think is what is happening here.

We discussed the coil and oestrogen HRT to help reduce peri-menopause symptoms.

Hi Junglechicken,

I do not want to confuse you, but please think twice before starting HRT. Since we are so sensitive, even sensitivite to supplements, foods, exercise, anything that is indeed good for us, before starting any medication, we should carefully think about the outcomes. HRT may completely change your system, balance and your CNS may be quite easily affected. Hormones are closely linked with CNS. 

Take care,

7 minutes ago, wanttosurvive said:

Hi Junglechicken,

I do not want to confuse you, but please think twice before starting HRT. Since we are so sensitive, even sensitivite to supplements, foods, exercise, anything that is indeed good for us, before starting any medication, we should carefully think about the outcomes. HRT may completely change your system, balance and your CNS may be quite easily affected. Hormones are closely linked with CNS. 

Take care,

It's ok WR, you're not confusing me.

I'm aware of the fragile link between hormones and CNS.

Just don't know what to do other than watch the diet, exercise and get enough rest.

These cystitis symptoms are so painful and awful.  

Major Life Events: 

21 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

Just don't know what to do other than watch the diet, exercise and get enough rest.

Hi Junglechicken, 

Try essential oils first and see if they're able to help.

During my acute withdrawal i was experiencing some painful cramps. Felt like i had cysts on my abdomen when i touched them, but they would go away in a few days. I recently had an ultrasound and they didn't find any cysts. I know this is probably different from cystitis, but they're worth a try. 

Anyway, the oils helped tremendously along with a heating pad. That was 2 cycles ago and it hasn't returned!  This could also just be temporary for you too so try the oils and heat pad first. Clarysage is a good oil and try to buy from high quality brands. 

Prozac (?mg)

- March 6, 2017. took it for 6 days and on day 7 had an adverse reaction. I believe it was serotonin syndrome.

Lexapro (Escitalopram) 10mg

-March 15 , 2017: first dose of Lexapro and stabilized within 3 weeks.

-April 19, 2018:  began to taper 1 yr from first dose

- style of tapering: 10 mg to 5mg (2 months). 5mg to 2.5mg (2-3 weeks) 2.5mg to 1.25mg (2 weeks). 1.25mg every other day (2 weeks).

- August 19, 2018: 0mg

- felt fine for weeks after 0mg. Had minor panic attacks if I didn't eat every 4 hrs. otherwise felt fine. 
- Mid September: had teeth extractions done, given antibiotics (ammox) and had severe rash reaction to it, was then given a steroid shot to alleviate the rash. This is when things started to go downhill. 

- October 4, 2018: intense withdrawal symptoms started 6 weeks after 0 mg.  

- October 13, 2018: reinstated using the oral solution ( .20mg)/ 10.17.18: .30mg/ 12.8.18: .29mg/12.31.18: .28mg

6 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

I am just like you.....do not know what to do....

I can not take any supplement. No vitamin C, no omega3, no magnesium, no vitamin D, etc...

I am sensitive to lots of healthy foods.

But THANKS GOD, just recently seen some improvement in food sensitivity. 6 months earlier I could not eat any nuts, egg, sea food, butter, banana,... now I can eat small portions of these foods. But with caution.

Before WD, I was a supplement fan. I used to run, do heavy cardio and strenght workout, so used to take lots of vitamins. I used to eat 3 eggs in the mornings, tons of nuts as snacks, 2 portions of fish at lunch, drink 1-1,5 lt of kephir after workout,....these are only dreams for me now.

For the last 1,5 years, the only exercise I do is walking, if I can have the energy. Walking is a perfect exercise, if it is done regularly. But I am so tired that since the winter has come I do not walk regularly anymore. I know I am guilty about it...last week I found a gym just in the vicinity of the house, but believe me I have only gone twice and it was persuasion of my sister....

7 minutes ago, WarriorWomanLV said:

Hi Junglechicken, 

Try essential oils first and see if they're able to help.

During my acute withdrawal i was experiencing some painful cramps. Felt like i had cysts on my abdomen when i touched them, but they would go away in a few days. I recently had an ultrasound and they didn't find any cysts. I know this is probably different from cystitis, but they're worth a try. 

Anyway, the oils helped tremendously along with a heating pad. That was 2 cycles ago and it hasn't returned!  This could also just be temporary for you too so try the oils and heat pad first. Clarysage is a good oil and try to buy from high quality brands. 

Hi Warrior woman,

I recently had a trans-vaginal ultrasound done and the only thing they found was a uterine fibroid.

Thank you for your suggestions to help ease the symptoms 👍

I'll re-instate my trusty hotwater bottle again, and painkillers.

Haven't tried essential oils below my neck so will give that a try too.

Maybe the pain is to do with my gut, I'm not sure.

TC,

JC

Major Life Events: 

Ladies, I'm now thinking 2 possibilities with these symptoms, as well as consulting Dr Google:

Endometriosis

Interstitial cystitis

I don't think it's bladder cancer, and I'm not sure about kidney stones as recently had a trans-vaginal ultrasound.

This is VERY painful, and I am on painkillers.

Major Life Events: 

On 1/13/2019 at 9:18 AM, Junglechicken said:

Ladies, I'm now thinking 2 possibilities with these symptoms, as well as consulting Dr Google:

Endometriosis

Interstitial cystitis

I don't think it's bladder cancer, and I'm not sure about kidney stones as recently had a trans-vaginal ultrasound.

This is VERY painful, and I am on painkillers.

don't google! 

i have really bad cramps right now, had to call in sick.

no energy whatesoever.

it is all withdrawal.

I saw my GP on Monday.

Urine sample clear of blood and again no infection.

Symptoms were caused by peri-meno.

Next step is discussing HRT, although my preference is to explore the NATURAL route.

Also, elevated cortisol can cause peri-meno symptoms.

As can elevated blood sugar (don’t think this is an issue for me).

Both of the above need to be reduced.  Will discuss with her on 25th Jan.

Major Life Events: 

32 minutes ago, Junglechicken said:

I saw my GP on Monday.

Urine sample clear of blood and again no infection.

Symptoms were caused by peri-meno.

Next step is discussing HRT, although my preference is to explore the NATURAL route.

Also, elevated cortisol can cause peri-meno symptoms.

As can elevated blood sugar (don’t think this is an issue for me).

Both of the above need to be reduced.  Will discuss with her on 25th Jan.

Sounds it is only caused by WD. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy