vaseadude: Anyone went through Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal?

vaseadude

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vaseadude

• GiaK

• tezza

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel its both physical and mental... its just a weird ill state...

It resembles the state that first got me into the psych hospital...

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

Probably. I've also had this weird headache and derealization and sluggishness.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

• Administrator

vasea, I can't say what's wrong. It sounds like you might be ill, maybe from a virus or something.

Is it possible you had an allergic reaction to something?

"Put up a good front" means act like nothing bad is happening. Your English is excellent, by the way.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Vaseadude,

I got your email.

It sounds like you're sick and I don't really have much more advice than what you've been offered here.

Pancreatitis does need medical attention....it's not clear to me that that's been ruled out. It's serious.

The other thing is that, yes, there are times that withdrawal can make people really really ill. I think those of us who have histories of psychosis actually have more issues with that in some regards at least some of the time. I was bedridden for 2 years. I believe now that a good part of the physical illness was a somatization of deep traumas, including the drug iatrogenesis. Those of us with histories of psychosis sometimes have this sort of thing more intensely...not always and we're not the only ones struck in such a way, but as a generalization it's more common. Somatization does NOT mean psychological.

It's been established that people with histories of trauma have a lot of chronic illness. And, again, anyone can be struck with that, psychosis or no.

I'm just kind of talking off the top of my head. We all have to figure out what a medical doctor might help and what they cannot help...most of what ailed me was not anything doctors could help.

however, if there is any question as to whether or not you have pancreatitis...that certainly should be ruled out.

hang in there. I'm really sorry. I know how frightening and lonely all of what you're going through is.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tezza, thanks for being so full of love!

Vasea,

No thanks is necessary for that! It's just the way God made me! I truly love ALL God's children and we are all His children. You seem pretty special, yourself!

Please let us know how you are doing and what's going on. I'm thinking of you and still saying prayers for you!

Love,

Tezza

Its morning here. Yesterday I took a 1/4 of a benzo. that helped me sleep for 4-5 hours.

Me and my family we've been analyzing what is going on, and it truly seems that it is related to withdrawal and meds. I mean, yeah, the called doctor suspected it was pancreatitis but a lot of things really dont match. Like. the symptoms of pancreatitis is severe pain in upper abdomen, which I dont have. And the fact that it all seems similar to me as when I was ill in the hospital, makes sense. It is also always worse in the evening, with tremors, hyperventilation, etc. It seems that its worse when the drug starts wearing off.

I suspect the raw foods and green smoothies (I used to have like 2 a day for 3-4 days) really messed up with the chemicals in my blood, I mean chlorophyl is known to cleanse the blood.

SO, the conclusion that we had, after analyzing all the symptoms, including the aforementioned and the panic and anxiety that I have, is that it is related to the meds. And, as any withdrawal protocol would suggest, we should probably up the dose a little to counteract these symptoms. At least in the case of reducing the dose.. But in the case of changes by nutrition, I am a little unsure - should I do the same?

We're thinking of upping the dose with 10%. DO you think it's a good idea?

Much thanks for all your support!

Hugs!

vasea,

when I went 100% raw and green I got very ill too...and in fact it was because I jacked up my histamine levels really insanely...

see if anything in this post resonates with you...it may not...but it struck me as a possibility.

going 100% raw won't necessarily jack one's histamine up...it depends what you're eating...I was also eating a lot of ferments...which are crazy high in histamine and lots of spinach too...which is really high as well.

okay...this is the post (or actually postS)

Histamine intolerance (likely to apply to others on psych meds and coming off them too)

http://beyondmeds.com/2013/01/07/histamine-intolerance/

The histamine intolerance link and how this paleo girl went vegetarian (even vegan, for the time being!)

http://beyondmeds.com/2013/02/18/more-histamine/

anyway...the week I went raw green was the sickest week of my entire illness and I cannot express how ugly and dark a time it was...

some raw food is very good for everyone... but if you do have a histamine issue, high histamine foods should be avoided completely.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

Gia, I've eaten lots of spinach in my green smoothies.. and a little sauerkraut too... And from your article seems like risperidone is a realy potent antihistamine...

Id like to ask you though: DId you make an updose when you felt really sick going raw? What did you do about it?

I wasn't on risperdal at that point...I wasn't on anything at all...though it was a period of time that I was dependent on wee (micro-doses) of (OMG) I was taking micro-doses of risperdal, actually. ha. forgot.

it was after my withdrawal was complete and I took various drugs to survive the aftermath from some months (always microdosing because I was so sensitive)

I think I may have also taken benadryl at the time but it made me sicker...well, risperdal at that point was always a double edged sword too...

I really don't know what to advise you...the histamine will come down on it's own accord if you cut out high histamine foods...BUT...I'm going through a surge of natural histamine increase right now...simply because it's spring and my body responds to the seasons that way.

Try getting some quercetin. I know you're in Europe, but if you can get this product I know it's safe for most of us with lots of sensitivities (i've reacted to other brands) http://www.vitacost.com/twinlab-quercetin-plus-c

It's helping me phenomenally right now as my histamine has shot up with the spring. It's possible you have the same seasonal pattern I have...it's not uncommon.

hang in there. this stuff is like a mystery and we have to be detectives.

:) Yeah, Gia.. a mystery. And A tough one to bear ))

How do you even know that it's histamine that's rising?

Alto, if you read this, I really hope that you can advise on the 10% dose increase. I am not sure if that could be a good solution to these symptoms, of if I just have to byte on and bear it.

Anyway, its daytime, and I am feeling not that bad. But still in bed and weak. But evening still has to come.

Hugs to all!

I know by experimentation and elimination of high histamine foods...it's not a precise thing at all. but it has become clear for me...

I felt a bit better today. THANK GOOOOD!! really hope it will keep improving...

THere is a big chance that the improvement was caused by a new bottle. I suspect that old bottle could have been not good ( I've also switched bottles when I did the diet change). SO I am thinking not to increase the dose anymore.

Guys I love you so much! Thanks Gia, Alto and Tezza! Gorilla hug! :D

Maybe its to early to be that joyful,, but I am just happy for the small improvement that I had today..

• Administrator

So good to hear you're feeling a bit better, v.

I would not increase the risperdone dose. It's not responsible for your symptoms. Keep that stable and treat your system gently as you recover from the upset.

I wouldn't totally avoid green foods, but phase them in very gradually. Same with any special diet.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

yes, vasea!

glad you're feeling better...we learn to ride the waves around here...and that serves us well for the rest of our lives really :-)

riding waves.. Like surfing! ) ..only those waves are way more pleasant :)

I think the lowed immunity from all these symptoms made me vulnerable to get a cold thats flying around in my house right now.. WOke up chilly with slightly sore throat. But the WD effects are definitely better!

Hugs!

On second thoughts, I dont think it's a cold. I dont have a runny nose! I think its the continuation of the WD symptoms... I've been chilly al day, and still really weak.. I'm still having 37.1 fever, its been like that for some days (except yesterday, when it went down to 36.8) Is it dangerous to have fever several days in a row?

Now I think that my progress yesterday could have been caused by the 1/4 benzo that I took, or by changing the bottle.

Ehh..

Time for a little update. It's been a week since my severe WD symptoms started, and it seems that I am slowly stabilizing. I sleep more, my temperature has become normal, my energy is slowly increasing, my fatigue attacks are smaller and more rare. I do sometimes get depressed, but it passes.

I've taken my cast off on Thurdsday, but I am still slowly adjusting with the leg. It has to take some time before it can be fully functional again, i guess..

Well, I guess I had to learn a few things in this adventure.. FIrstly, that we are really sensitive and I shouldnt do any major diet or exercize change while withdrawing (like I also did with the supplements a year ago and also felt extremely sick). Secondly, that I should be patient, have faith in my recovery and take it slow.

I would also like to give MEGA thanks to all who supported me these days! I truly appreciate all that help! HUGS to all!

Oh yeah, and while I was really sick, I told myself - man, if I ever get out of this alive, I will have to help other people, not matter how. I hope I will realize this.

Peace!

you will...and the thing is we can help people even while were ill...my entire blog has been done while ill...it's helpful to our own well-being to help others whenever we are well enough to muster that...with the caveat that we must take care of ourselves first...so that boundaries etc are very important.

glad you're feeling better.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vasea,

I'm very glad you are feeling better!!! I agree with Gia, it makes me feel better if I'm helping someone else. I don't think one here is completely healed or totally recovered. You do have to take care of yourself, first and foremost, but any time you can encourage someone else is a good experience.

You've been encouraging to me before when I was low, remember? I do, and I appreciate every encouraging word you said. We all need each other because people around us simply don't get it. They might THINK they understand but we know they can't fully comprehend unless they've experienced this hell.

I hope you have a happy and blessed Easter!

Hugs back to you...and peace

Update: Since the Daylight Saving Time switch on SUnday, I've been moving my medication time 20 minutes earlier each day to try to take it an hour earlier.

SO, on Sunday I took it at 10:40 and on Monday at 10:20. On Monday I observed a slight increase in anxiety, Monday night had digestive problems a couple of times and today (Tuesday) I also feel more anxious and also have flu like symptoms. Symptoms seem to start like my last withdrawal, which was a week ago. I did not really think that changing the time would make much difference, at least it didn't before, but I guess my system is still weak from the last withdrawal.

I think I should keep my meds time at 10:20 for a few days. Do you think it's a good idea?

V

the time change effects sensitive people on or off meds...this is not unusual...I've always been sensitive to the time changing

when you take your meds within an hour time frame doesn't matter all that much so do what you feel most comfortable with...whatever feels best...you'll adjust.

Gia, thanks for encouraging.

I did a little calculation and it seems like a shift with 20 min is the same as changing the dose with 1.4%. Well technically the dose stays the same, but if you take it more frequently it builds up. So I think that could be a cause of symptoms.

Btw, some good news, I think my leg is slowly comming to life since I have removed the cast 4 days ago. It still has a lot of learning to do before I can walk on it, but I think it will soon be functional. Really hoping. :rolleyes:

UPDATE: I've been having digestive problems again these days (bloating, liquid bowels) and I could barely eat because I felt so bloated. I went to the gastroentologist and told me like the previous doctor that it might be pancreatitis. She prescribed digestive enzimes, probiotics and aluminum phosphate (as antacid). I am not sure if there could be any interactions with Risperidone, but I've done a search on aluminum phosphate and I fould it is quite toxic, so I don't think I am going to take it, plus in the instruction it says that it can decrease the action of other medications.

The doctor has also recommended a strict diet of no vegetables or fruits, nothing fried. Pretty funny, as a week ago I decided to eat a 50% raw diet..

(sigh) I've never had such digestive problems before, and don't really know what to do about it. :unsure:

the probiotics and the enzymes are good...stick with that...for sure...I'd skip the aluminum too...you're doing good.

gut issues are pretty normal...it will work itself out as you learn to listen and pay attention.

Thanks Gia! I really appreciate your reply.

But what exactly do you mean by listening and paying attention? Listening to what? Could you give some examples? I'd like to learn, so I am all eyes and ears! Honestly I am ready to do almost anything to ditch these drugs with all these hellish reactions and be healthy and natural...

Oh, I see.. so I guess the idea was to just be your own detective and see what you are sensitive to. I will try to see how I react to different foods and note in my journal. I did not pay attention much before, I mean sometimes I had digestive upset but I did not bother to investigate what caused it..

I'm sorry to hear that you are not feeling that well. Wish you the best to recover! HUGS! :)

vasea...I'm still quite sick everyday...from the withdrawal...it will be a while before I'm well...I'm much better than I used to be, but I have very bad days still.

Gia, here is what you wrote in your blog not too long ago:

The most noticeable thing is additional physical capacities…while my stamina still remains hugely challenged I’ve been able to walk 30 to 50 minutes in the mountains every day (yes, bonafide short HIKES). Given that a 30 minute walk was something I’ve only been able to achieve once or twice a month for over 2 years this is hugely significant. My goal has been to walk 30 minutes a day for over a year…and generally I cannot manage more than 5 to 20 minutes and really quite often I couldn’t walk at all…so…this is BIG

And then also I loved how you said that you are spending way more time with your husband.

Now maybe that is not constant, and there are ups and downs... but heck, you've made terrific success in your progress! I am sure there is still a way to go... but when I look at your history of coming off all those meds.. and plus all the work you manage to do with the blog and here and all the help and everything... it really seems like you're like a superhuman to me :D (laughs).

That's just a small encouragement from me ;) Love!

thanks very much vasea..

it's true...big improvements but when one was bedridden and atrophied as I was, big improvements still can mean very sick. it remains frustrating quite often...my limitations are still very very significant and today I'm really sick on top of it...and I too sometimes don't feel like being positive! (though I am a very optimistic person by nature)

thank you and keep going!!