vaseadude: Anyone went through Risperdal (Risperidone) withdrawal?

vaseadude

Not being positive sometimes has it's benefits too.. if we saw everything in pink all the time we wouldn't see what's really important.. and we wouldn't be motivated to make changes.

I understand that you are still sick, Gia.. I really feel for you. Keep going as well! We'll get through our problems..

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• vaseadude

• GiaK

• tezza

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm feeling quite weak today and really bloated. i don't think I can eat anything. I don't know maybe I ate something wrong? Maybe from the baked apple?

I'm so scared my digestive problems won't go away.. I've read in a post of Alto, that acute pancreatitis requires abrupt discontinuation of medication.. (http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2965-nmsis-tips-to-manage-and-prevent-discontinuation-syndromes/page__p__32357__hl__pancreatitis__fromsearch__1#entry32357)

I don't know what to do, what to eat, etc.. And I'm really scared that I'll feel really sick again like I not too long ago.. I pray that God will get me through this..

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

you need to determine whether or not you have pancreatitis... read about it here and if there is any question go get checked out. SERIOUSLY.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancreatitis

if you don't have pancreatitis lots of digestive problems are normal in withdrawal and will go away in time. you simply need to be wait it out...it's often hell but it will pass as you heal and learn how to care for you body under these circumstances.

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm feeling quite weak today and really bloated. i don't think I can eat anything. I don't know maybe I ate something wrong? Maybe from the baked apple?

I'm so scared my digestive problems won't go away.. I've read in a post of Alto, that acute pancreatitis requires abrupt discontinuation of medication.. (http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2965-nmsis-tips-to-manage-and-prevent-discontinuation-syndromes/page__p__32357__hl__pancreatitis__fromsearch__1#entry32357)

I don't know what to do, what to eat, etc.. And I'm really scared that I'll feel really sick again like I not too long ago.. I pray that God will get me through this..

Vasea,

Did you go to the doctor? I remember you saying you were supposed to go. I believe you had called (if I remember correctly) and was told it could be pancreatitis. You do need to find out if you have it or not. If you don't have it, it will ease your mind a lot to know. If you do have it, it needs to be treated.

I will be praying for you, too! God is going to bring you and me, both, through this!

Blessings and love!

Gia, I did see a Gastro doc on Wednesday. They did an ultrasound and found the pancreas inflamed as well as the gallbladder. THe doc said it's pacreatitis and cholecestitis, and told me to take probiotics and digestive enzimes and aluminum phosphate (which I decided not to take).

The weird thing is that the first symptom for pancreatitis is upper abdominal pain, which I don't have. I dont experience pain, but I do experience bloating (like my belly is swollen) and discomfort to the right, that also feels like strength or swollen. I don't know, I don't really trust the doctors here completely.. :(

Tezza, thank you soo much for the blessings! Let's hope..

I'm really scared that the diet changes these days, eating mostly grains, in little quantity, and a bit of poultry or fissh, I am afraid the radical diet changes and the not eating caused by my digestive problems, as well as introduction of probiotics and enzimes, could destabilize my system, AGAIN. I feel weak today, and my anxiety is higher, I also feel that derealization or flu like symptom like I did before.

I told my gastro doc that I am afraid that the prescriptions could interact with my psych med, and she told me that I should ask my psychiatrist about that, and she even metioned the possibility of just using a diet change by itself. Of course, my psychiatrist would be clueless about the interaction and I think some people here have more experience. I just dont know what do do, I don't want to slip into severe WD again... but then again, I should probably do something about the digestive issue. I'm confused...

probiotics do need to be added very slowly quite often..if you can cut the pills or open up a capsule and start with tiny bits, that is a good idea. The enzymes are less likely to cause any problems but you can also start slowly if that makes you feel safer...it's always a good idea when one is unstable in any case...

probiotics are good though...adding slowly just assures that your body has time to get used to them...all at once they can be destabilizing...it's true...when people are sick and have gut issues it's actually good to up the dose really slowly but to go to mega doses for at least 6 months while the gut heals...then back down to a maintenance dose.

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

I've started taking the probiotics and enzimes 3 days ago. O observed my anxiety and depression rise today. Could that be a sign that I should maybe take off those supplements and maybe talk to my gastro doc to just work with the diet?

I wouldn't talk to the doctor more than is necessary.

It's your call to determine how much worse you feel and if it makes sense to cut down the supps before bringing the dose up again.

and yes, working with your diet...(but only making slow careful and measured changes) is a good idea.

Thanks GIa for your help.. I did however make radical changes to my diet these days, because I felt bloated and my doc suggested I stick with a strict diet.. But honestly, I can't really eat much..

This evening I have observed a come back of the bad symptoms that I had in the episode before, only in a mild form: slight derealization or burning felling in the head, difficulty breathing, mild shaking, emotional weakness, and even my fever just climbed to 37..

Now I am thinking of cutting on the probiotics and enzimes tomorrow..

Man, I really dont want to go through all that hell again... I hope I wont.. please wish me luck and fast recovery..

Peace!

good luck Vasea...hang in there...and from what I read eating not much is indicated...so now when you can add food back do it methodically...pay attn to what makes you feel better or worse. consider this an opportunity...because it actually is. add food back slowly and if something doesn't agree with you don't eat for a while until you've got some gut healing...

THanks GIa!

And since you know something about gut issues, I would like to ask you a question - how long after you eat do you observe your responce to the food? I mean if I eat something, should it be 30min or maybe a day (?) to see that the food is not tolerated good?

24 hours is good generally...but some say it can be longer than that...that's why it's important to do things really really slowly. For me sometimes I have to do the same food several times because I have so many things going on in my body at the same time...

a food diary helps a lot of people. listing whatever happens and then seeing if there are patterns etc.

Please Help! I am having shakes(tremors) 40 min already... what is this?? Yesterday night I also had them but they lasted for 20 min and then stopped... How do I stop them? It's really scary... :blink:

Maan, THey finally stopped. an hour later... phew.. When it happened for 20 min it was rather tolerable, but over 30 min I start to get worried... Its like my whole body is shaking, legs, chest, arms, randomly...

I would still like to know about them..

I don't know what they are for sure...you need to describe it more

I used to convulse...almost like a epileptic seizure...it was trauma being released and I let it go...encouraged it really...I still get little bit of that from time to time.

it's always good to try to relax into what is happening...it's counter-intuitive but it helps if you practice.

please describe the symptom more...it actually sounds sort of like what I had...and if it is the best thing, as I said is to lay down and let it go...and meditate while it goes...

I know others who've had this sort of thing too...if it's what I had it's actually a sort of healing process.

Yes, Gia, sounds like what you are describing... You have posted some time ago about neurogenic tremors, and it's pretty much like that. But is it not dangerous if it lasts for an hour?

I am pretty sick these days, mostly lying in bed. However, I managed to sleep OK this night, unlike the last one when I slept only for 3 hours.

My overall stats were 2.5 out of 10 yesterday... :( If I dont get better soon I think I am going to try a tiny updose. After all, all these problems started around the time my usual withdrawal starts, and all the diet changes and the fact that my leg was in cast could have aggravated the WD. If it doesnt work, and if the cause of the pancreatitis is the risperidone itself.. then I think the only option would be to switch to a different drug, and that could only be done in the hospital i think... I am really scared of the last option..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Vasea,

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this, now, you seemed to do well for quite a while. I know how disappointing this is. Maybe it would help to do a tiny updose and go much, much slower.

I've had to slow down recently, too. I've never been able to do the 10% decrements, either. Physical sickness does seem to exacerbate WD symptoms, at least for me it does. In fact, most anything out of my usual routine, can mess with me really bad.

I had a little sickness during Christmas and it took me a couple of months to start sleeping well after that. Lately, I've been dealing with some emotional issues and once again my sleep is not the best. I may have a night here and there that I do ok, then I have nights that I sleep very little.

Hopefully, Alto or Gia will advise you on the switch to a different med. My only concern would be that you can have WD from a switch. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just concerned but I worry too much lately. Life stressors are still weighing me down; I'll think I've gotten past something, then it hits me again!

We will get through this, by the grace of God and by being here with support and love from others.

Love and peace!

I just checked google...Risperdal is actually indeed associated with pancreatitis http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/02/health/pancreatitis-risk-seen-in-schizophrenia-drugs.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=risperdal+pancreatitis&aq=f&oq=risperdal+pancreatitis&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j62l3.8051j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

so actually you may want to consider changing to another drug.

(the shaking is NOT dangerous, no, not if it's what I was experiencing...if you trust it and let it go it actually starts to feel good and it's truly a healing process...people like Peter Levine have established that shaking is a natural way ALL mammals release trauma--human beings have simply forgotten how)

I'm sorry you're confronting the risperdal problem

it looks like a lot of the atypical anti-psychotics (the newer generation) are associated with pancreatitis...but risperdal has an even higher incidence

since your goal is getting off the meds you may want to consider an older type neuroleptic. I was on thorazine before the atypicals came out and it's no worse than the atypicals really...it's got a worse reputation but the fact is it's been shown to be safer in many ways....(research shows lower risk of quite a lot of issues, really with all the older anti-psychotics)

while I realize it's a scary proposition, I don't think you need to do the switch in the hospital. I really think with careful consideration you can do it at home. That said if you're more comfortable in the hospital it's certainly your call and I'm not there understanding your particular situation up close. Here the hospitals are dangerous...they're liable to drug you up with all sorts of things against your will. I don't know what it's like where you live.

thank you tezza! your words are always kind.. i wish u to get well too and be resistant to wd changes! hugs

I just checked google...Risperdal is actually indeed associated with pancreatitis http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/02/health/pancreatitis-risk-seen-in-schizophrenia-drugs.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=risperdal+pancreatitis&aq=f&oq=risperdal+pancreatitis&aqs=chrome.0.57j0j62l3.8051j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

so actually you may want to consider changing to another drug.

(the shaking is NOT dangerous, no, not if it's what I was experiencing...if you trust it and let it go it actually starts to feel good and it's truly a healing process...people like Peter Levine have established that shaking is a natural way ALL mammals release trauma--human beings have simply forgotten how)

I'm sorry you're confronting the risperdal problem

it looks like a lot of the atypical anti-psychotics (the newer generation) are associated with pancreatitis...but risperdal has an even higher incidence

since your goal is getting off the meds you may want to consider an older type neuroleptic. I was on thorazine before the atypicals came out and it's no worse than the atypicals really...it's got a worse reputation but the fact is it's been shown to be safer in many ways....(research shows lower risk of quite a lot of issues, really with all the older anti-psychotics)

while I realize it's a scary proposition, I don't think you need to do the switch in the hospital. I really think with careful consideration you can do it at home. That said if you're more comfortable in the hospital it's certainly your call and I'm not there understanding your particular situation up close. Here the hospitals are dangerous...they're liable to drug you up with all sorts of things against your will. I don't know what it's like where you live.

Thank you so much for your reply, Gia! And also for the documentation that you did!

I think the hospitals here are even worse :D... I didn't even assume it's possible to do it at home, I thought they only did it in the hospitals, but I guess that is not right.. I am not really knowledgeable in these matters..

How exactly is the protocol of switching to a new drug? And what drugs are regarded as safer related to digestive issues?

It's so scary.. in the study, it said that 22 of the 192 people with pancreatitis have died...

Do you think it's also possible that it can get better and I could continue tapering this drug?

Man, this is serious...

Vasea,

you really do need to talk to a doctor and I'd say immediately...print out the studies on risperdal and pancreatitis.

then you can decide with the doctor (this is really out of our scope here) how quickly you need to get off risperdal...if you need to do it very quickly then I would simply switch to a comparative dose of thorazine (or whatever other older neuroleptic you choose) and go from there. I did many switches like that in the course of my "treatment" over the years. Lots of immediate switches like that for no good reason... it's not ideal but it is done routinely in psychiatry because they don't realize how hard it is on the body. I'm still standing. and in your case it may be totally necessary and called for.

it's scary no doubt but it's necessary and you do need medical guidance on this. please. go talk to a doctor. now even.

Thank you for the suggestion! I will keep you updated.

Little update: I went to the gastro doc and she told me I shouldnt worry about the pancreatitis, as it's mild and its mostly the gases that are bothering me, so it should pass she said.. So after that the next few days my digestive symptoms got better, as I've been eating just croutons, rice, potatoes, and some steamed vegetables only these days, so as the discomfort in the belly stopped, I tried eating a little white chicken today. After a few hours I began feeling sick (like bloating, feeling of vomiting, stuff like that..) I think my body does not accept meat at the moment.

I still experience convultions for about an hour in the evenings.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say that I am OK. I upped the dose a little bit to 1.6 and that stopped my convultions and my daily fatigue. So I am feeling alright, but still my knees hurt and I can't walk, but I am doing exercises to strengthen them and hope they will feel better soon. I also plan to try comfrey on them, I heard it might help.

I don't know how frequently I will write on this forum, as I decided to reduce my time on the computer. It makes me anxious.

good to hear from you Vasea...

glad you're feeling better...

keep moving any way you can...must be awful to not be able to walk...

try to do whatever stretching and moving you can do...keeping the body moving has been one of the most important things...even when I was bedridden...move whatever you can and as much as you can...

take care!

THanks GIanna! Will do my best.

Wish you all good luck as well!

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: I've removed my cast a month ago but still my knees give me trouble and I can hardly walk. I went to the orthoped yesterday and he told me there is nothing wrong with my ligaments now... Now all this two months of wearing a cast and rehab was in vain? The issue now seems to be back what I have suspected in the first place - something neurological. It does seem like rigidness in my knees, and I also occasionally get the same feeling in my ribs.

I would like to ask you what has worked for you or others in dealing with such symptoms?

I would try yoga...slow stretching and moving of your whole body...good for pretty much everything...

I use youtube yoga videos...and then I modify everything for my level of well-being and fitness...I don't expect myself to do more than I can do right NOW...

keep moving...whatever you need to do...even if it's must baby steps...

I'm sorry you're dealing with such difficulties.

Yoga could be good for long term but I need to fix my legs first so I can walk..

I am thinking of taking a tiny dose of an antiparkinsonian.

btw, how have you been Gia? :)

I started doing yoga in bed when I was bedridden! you don't have to stand or walk but you move your legs etc...

I imagine it would help to have a yoga therapist...but that is hard to come by...I used yoga for rehabilitation...which it sounds you also need.

google chair yoga and also yoga in bed...you should find rehab sorts of stuff

also Restorative Yoga and Yin Yoga are good for rehab...

I'm doing okay Vasea...

you might like my last article on Mad in America

Everything Matters: a Memoir From Before, During and After Psychiatric Drugs

http://www.madinamerica.com/2013/05/before-during-after-psychdrugs/

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I know I don't hang around here too much.. I try to limit my time at the computer. I just wanted to ask you a quick question - do you think taking an anti-parkinsonian drug for 4 days for joint stiffness and rigidity, as my psychiatrist recommended, could hurt in any way? Or should I just bear with it and hope it goes away?  Thanks!