berryt: coming off antidepressants/antipsychotic on own

berryt

I'm currently taking 20 mg of Abilify, 40 mg of Paxil, 30 mg of Cymbalta.

I am diagnosed with either Major Depression/Psychosis or Schizoaffective (depressive type).

I have been on similar ones over the last 20+ years, always an antidepressant and antipsychotic.

I have been reading about how they are obesogenic and would like to come off them cause of that, and also to see how I do now without them and try natural diet and treatments.

I am thinking of starting by eliminating one antidepressant, maybe Paxil and see how I do with just Cymbalta and Abilify, before tapering slowly off those two together. 

I've tried to go off cold turkey and by tapering off all of them too quick before, and get suicidal depression and racing thoughts.Once I take the meds it goes right away.

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, berryt.

It's definitely a good idea to taper off one of your antidepressants, as there is a major drug interaction between Cymbalta and Paxil.  Which one you choose to go off first is up to you.  How long have you been taking each?  If you take them at different times, how do you feel in the hours after taking each?

We recommend tapering by no more that 10% of you current dose every four weeks.  She have to go more slowly.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The following two links are specifically about tapering Paxil and Cymbalta, including how to get the small non-standard doses you'll need for a 10% taper.  Reading through these links may help you decide which to taper first.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time.  Otherwise, if problems arise, you won't know the cause. We also recommend tapering the activating drugs first, such as SSRI's and SNRI's, leaving the more sedating drug like Abilify to act as a buffer to taper later.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you fund your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

53 minutes ago, Gridley said:

Welcome to SA, berryt.

It's definitely a good idea to taper off one of your antidepressants, as there is a major drug interaction between Cymbalta and Paxil.  Which one you choose to go off first is up to you.  How long have you been taking each?  If you take them at different times, how do you feel in the hours after taking each?

We recommend tapering by no more that 10% of you current dose every four weeks.  She have to go more slowly.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The following two links are specifically about tapering Paxil and Cymbalta, including how to get the small non-standard doses you'll need for a 10% taper.  Reading through these links may help you decide which to taper first.

Tips for tapering off Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

We recommend tapering only one drug at a time.  Otherwise, if problems arise, you won't know the cause. We also recommend tapering the activating drugs first, such as SSRI's and SNRI's, leaving the more sedating drug like Abilify to act as a buffer to taper later.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you fund your way here.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I've been taking this combination for maybe a year now, but in the past 20 years I've taken other meds and combinations. I think I'll get rid of Paxil first.

• Moderator Emeritus
25 minutes ago, berryt said:

I'll get rid of Paxil first.

Sounds good, berryt.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

When I was on those drugs, the Abilify was causing side effects that were horrific.  Since you didn't mention that, I'll assume you are not having such unmanageable side effects.  For me, I chose to taper the drugs with the worst side effects first, and then go in the order of activating -> less so.  

Past 2 years:  

Lithium 600 mg

Ativan prn (take  .5 or 1 mg about 2-3 times a month)

Lamictal 100 mg currently

diphenhydramine 75 mg

synthroid 131 mcg

propranolol 60 mg

Paxil 10 mg (now off)

Latuda 20 mg (now off)

Cymbalta 60 mg (now off)

Before that: 35+ antipsychotics, neuroleptics and antidepressants, list available

19 minutes ago, Paisley said:

When I was on those drugs, the Abilify was causing side effects that were horrific.  Since you didn't mention that, I'll assume you are not having such unmanageable side effects.  For me, I chose to taper the drugs with the worst side effects first, and then go in the order of activating -> less so.  

I don't experience much side effects except for no sex drive and excessive thirst. But started all meds around same time, so not sure which one is worse.

• ChessieCat changed the title to berryt: coming off antidepressants/antipsychotic on own