Gussy's Mum: Dr dropped Gussy's Mum's olanzapine from 5 mg to 2.5 mg? Now risperidone.

Gussy

On 5/23/2023 at 2:00 AM, manymoretodays said:

Hi Gussy, sorry to hear your Mum is still so medicated and not at all herself,  I merged recent new topics started, back here for you.

Yes for sure could be the risperidone, sometimes called the "shut up pill".

Tips for tapering topic on risperidone  you'll see that in the first post

Unfortunately, the intended action of risperidone is pretty much a loss of self, and blankness.

Also see the side effect profile of risperidone:  Risperidone Side Effects, from Drugs.com

You might be able to suggest a lowered dose.  It can't hurt to try, even though you are not the sole primary medical support for her.

There may also be WD from the olanzapine now, and perhaps a lingering effect from the ECT.  I'd vote that if the risperidone is a recent change, that it may account for her "blankness" now.

Tough stuff to witness I'm sure.  They had Haldol on my Mum's medication list prior to her death and before she moved to Hospice.  I told the Nurse that I really didn't think she needed that.  She was getting Ativan and had had a major stroke.......wasn't agitated, nor was she ever.  Anyway.....  😞

How old is your Mum?

And hugs, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Why don't you do a signature for your Mum in a reply only.  If you change your signature, as you are the poster, that wouldn't work.

So just put some dates, and medications history for your Mum here in a reply.  I suppose I could then link it to your signature and title it Gussy's Mum's signature.

Hang in there.

Hi again. I called the chemist today re mum's drug history. I can get back to 2019 without much trouble so will put that here when I get it and can give some history prior to that but wont be great detail. Thanks, Gus.

Gussy

On effexor for at least 11 years. Last few years going through ivf treatment dose has ranged from 150-200mg. Mainly 150 though. Tapered from about 175mg mid jan 2017 to zero mid april 2017. 2&1/2 months of straight hell. Getting there now though.