Jlirry: introduction

Jlirry

Hi all, I hope it’s ok that I’m posting here. The website says to make an intro post.

i started on meds in 2005 when I had anxiety attacks during a really stressful period. I didn’t know what was going on and felt like I lost my mind. It turns out I was having panic attacks from too much stress in my life. At the time, a doctor prescribed depakote. My girlfriend at the time strongly objected and I never took it. I was later prescribed celexa by another doc. I took celexa and then lexapro for the next 14 years.

in 2019, I started having really bad anxiety again. My doc put me on seroquel 50 mg. Because I didn’t feel much better, I tried the following meds: Wellbutrin, cymbalta, prozac, Zoloft, then mirtazapine. All during this time, I stayed on seroquel.

the mirtazapine helped a lot with the anxiety and I’m currently on 45 mg. I decided to taper off the seroquel 50 mg at the beginning of 2020. At my doctors instructions, I went down to 25 mg for 5 days, 12.5 mg for the next 5 days, then off.

looking back now, the taper schedule was way too fast. I’m having a lot of withdrawal symptoms: foggy head, headaches, agitation, depression, irritability, palpitations, fatigue.

once I’m fully recovered from my seroquel withdrawal, I’d like to eventually get off mirtazapine.

id love to hear if anyone who has had experience getting off seroquel (I took the generic quietiapine). How long until withdrawal passed? Anything to reduce withdrawal symptoms?

much love.

2005 - 2011: celexa generic (can't recall dosage)

2011 -  April 2019: lexapro generic (30 mg)

Jan 2019 - Jan 2019 (wellbutrin generic)

Jan 2019 - Jan 2020: seroquel generic (50 mg)

April 2019 - Dec 2019: tried bunch of different generic meds (cymbalta, prozac, rexulti, zoloft)

December 2019 - current: mirtazapine generic (45 mg)

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Jlirry.  As you now know, doctors know nothing about safe tapering.  For future reference we recommend tapering no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  We'll be happy to help you taper the mirtazapine when the time comes.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The symptoms you describe are typical withdrawal symptoms.  Unfortunately, there is no way to predict how long withdrawal lasts

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

You might want to consider reinstatement of a very small dose of Seroquel.  Reinstatement is the only known way to help alleviate withdrawal syndrome.  The only other alternative is to try and wait out the symptoms and manage as best you can until your central nervous system returns to homeostasis.  Unfortunately no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you will start feeling better and while some do recover relatively easily, for others it can take many months or longer.  

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee of diminished symptoms for everyone but it's the best tactic available.  You're still in the time period where reinstatement predictably works, up to 3 months after last dose.  It is best to reinstate as soon as possible after withdrawal symptoms occur. We usually suggest a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose.  These drugs are strong, and If you take too much it may be too much for your brain and can cause you become unstable.  Sometimes it can be hard to regain stability after this happens.  Then, once you've stabilized on that dosage, which can take several months,  you can begin a 10% per month taper down to zero.   Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

If you're interested in reinstatement of a small dose of Seroquel, let me know and i'll suggest a dose.  Please do not reinstate without letting us suggest a dose.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (glycinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks Griffey. I really appreciate your advice and kind words. It means so much to me to have this community.

I’m going to stay off the seroquel. I just really really don’t want to reinstate, even if it means a longer withdrawal period.

I’ll post more updates over the coming months.

April 2019 - Dec 2019: tried bunch of different generic meds (cymbalta, prozac, rexulti, zoloft)

• ChessieCat changed the title to Jlirry: introduction
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, it’s been a few months since I last posted on this. As a recap, I started lexapro and took it for about 13 years. Not sure if or how much it worked, but I just stayed on it. About a couple years ago, I started having really bad anxiety. The lexapro didn’t seem to be working so I’ve been trying different meds ever since. One of the meds was seroquel, which I started in January 2019.

i also started mirtazapine about 6 months ago.

i tapered off the seroquel in January 2020. Way too fast. But at least I was off it.

ever since then, I’ve only been on mirtazapine.

i still feel miserable. Depression. Brain fog. My brain feels broken. Does anyone else feel like that?

i definitely don’t want to reinstitute the seroquel. It’s probably been too long anyway (more than 3 months).

but I’m wondering whether I should either (1) add another SSRI (maybe trintellix) or (2) try to also get off the mirtazapine. I know this seems like an odd set of diametrically opposes choices.

or should I stay the course with just the mirtazapine and hope things get better.

whats not clear to me is why I feel to miserable. Do I truly have a brain chemical imbalance? If so, then perhaps I should add the trintellix. Or am I just undergoing withdrawal still from the seroquel (and perhaps from the 13 years of lexapro that I quit about 14 months ago)? If so, then I just need to ride out the withdrawal. 

i’d be grateful for any advice. I wish I could see a light at the end of the tunnel. Thank you.

• Administrator

Hello, going on and off drugs can cause your nervous system to become sensitized or destabilized. Your symptoms of nervous system dysregulation are shared by many people on this site.

It's very possible this dates from your going off Lexapro and switching from one drug to another. There is no such thing as a brain chemical imbalance that is corrected by psychiatric drugs.

As this is a site for going off drugs, we cannot recommend more drugs for you. Generally, we provide peer support for tapering off psychiatric drugs and recovery from drug-induced destabilization.

Does mirtazapine help you sleep? What is your current drug schedule and symptom pattern?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you altostrata.  I really really appreciate your response, especially how prompt it was.  (I've added to my signature, as you suggested.  I hope I did it right.)

Please note the following.

First, do you think anti-depressants (AD) are a bad idea always?  or are there some situations where it is a good idea?  I'm not really sure what I think about this question, so curious what you think as it'll help me with my decision.

Second, in order for me to heal (which I know can take a very long time), do I need to also get off my mirtazapine?  Or can my nervous system heal even if I stay on the mirtazapine?

Third, to answer your questions, I do think the mirtazapine helps me sleep.  I take 45 mg at night.  My sleep is pretty good, but I just feel awful during the days - depression, very sensitive nervous system, brain fog, feel out of it.  In some ways the worst symptom is extreme irritability; I have two young kids, and I feel so guilty to them because of how annoyed I feel and act to them.  Do you think these symptoms are withdrawal?  Or might they be caused by the mirtazapine?  If it's withdrawal, I guess I just need to wait it out.  But if it's teh mirtazapine that's the problem, maybe I need to slowly taper off it.

Fourth, do u know anytihng about the fisher wallace (or any other CES) device?  What about about transcranial magnetic stimulation?  I know it's expensive, but I'm willing to go into debt to feel better and expedite my healing.

I am so appreciative of your advice.  Thank you.

JL

• Administrator

We don't diagnose or treat psychiatric disorders here, or prescribe drugs to treat them. Some people like their effect, others don't. Whether they "work" for you depends on your subjective judgment.

We have a lot of people here taking mirtazapine to aid sleep. We are in favor of sleep. Sleep is healing.

If your symptoms date from your drug changes, they are much more likely to be withdrawal symptoms or other nervous system upset than a psychiatric disorder.

Please look in the Symptoms and Self-Care forum for discussions of remedies such as the Fisher-Wallace device or transcranial magnetic stimulation.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks altostrata. In your experience, does everyone recover from WD eventually (even if years down the line)? Or do some people never recover?

i guess I’m feeling pretty discouraged and unsure of what to do. I don’t know whether I should stay the course with mirtazapine and hope my WD from all the other meds I got off improves, whether I should add an additional AD, or whether I should go all out in getting off ADs and get off the mirtazapine too. I know this is a personal decision that I need to make for myself, but I just feel very unsure.

when I ask my family for advice, they just tell me to trust the advice of my psychiatrist. But I feel like psychiatrists know no more than we do and they’ll just go along with whatever I state my preference to be. 

thank you. 

On 5/27/2020 at 3:32 PM, Jlirry said:

Thanks altostrata. In your experience, does everyone recover from WD eventually (even if years down the line)? Or do some people never recover?

i guess I’m feeling pretty discouraged and unsure of what to do. I don’t know whether I should stay the course with mirtazapine and hope my WD from all the other meds I got off improves, whether I should add an additional AD, or whether I should go all out in getting off ADs and get off the mirtazapine too. I know this is a personal decision that I need to make for myself, but I just feel very unsure.

when I ask my family for advice, they just tell me to trust the advice of my psychiatrist. But I feel like psychiatrists know no more than we do and they’ll just go along with whatever I state my preference to be. 

thank you. 

@Jlirry following this thread as I'm in a similar boat. 

Aug 2004 - Dec 2006: Aropax ( 20mg - 30mg). Aug 2007: Fluoxetine (for 3 weeks).

Sept 07 - July 12: Lexapro ( 10mg - 20mg). Pooped out July 12. Titrated down off Lexapro over 3 weeks and switched to Paroxetine (with Xanax to cover switch for 2 weeks).

Aug 2012 - Aug 2019: Paroxetine (titrated up to 20mg in first few weeks,, dose reduced to 15mg . for 7 years until it 'pooped out'.

4th Aug 2019 - Reduced dose of paroxetine to 10mg (for 1 day) - under phychiatrists directions. Last dose of paroxetine.

5th Aug 2019 - Switch to 15mg Mirtazapine.

5th Aug - 15th Aug 2019 - 15mg Mirtazapine plus intermitent use of Lorazapm (0.25- 0.5 . Also used 12.5mg Quetiapine for 3 nights for sleep.

23rd Aug 2019 - Ended up in crisis team. Mirtazapine increased to 30mg. Diazapam 10mg twice daily.

30th Aug 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 7.5mg twice daily

6th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 5mg twice daily

13th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine increased to 45mg. Diazapam increased back up to 10mg twice daily.

20th Sept - 29th Sept 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. Diazapam being reduced from 10mg down to 0mg this week (in 2mg increments couple of days).

30th Sept - Thursday 3rd Oct 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. WORST ANXIETY EVER. Akathisia. Couldn't stay still. Suicidal idealization.

Friday 4th October - present: Reduced from 45mg to 30mg (straight drop to alleviate akathisia - reduction definitely helped alot but still not gone completely)

, Vit B6, Curcumin, Magnesium (no adverse effects from adding these supplements - have helped akathisia somewhat).

* Everything done from 23rd August under care of outpatient crisis team management.

Untitled document.docx

@cathnzthanks for following. Let me know what you decide to do. 

hopefully some others on this site will answer my question as to whether everyone eventually recovers from WD.

in some ways, the hardest part about all this is the uncertainty and not knowing what the right path is. Do I taper of all meds? Do I stay on mirtazapine and hope my symptoms are all WD from other meds and will go away? Or do I add on another AD? 

those are starkly different options.

are you considering these same options?

34 minutes ago, Jlirry said:

@cathnzthanks for following. Let me know what you decide to do. 

hopefully some others on this site will answer my question as to whether everyone eventually recovers from WD.

in some ways, the hardest part about all this is the uncertainty and not knowing what the right path is. Do I taper of all meds? Do I stay on mirtazapine and hope my symptoms are all WD from other meds and will go away? Or do I add on another AD? 

those are starkly different options.

are you considering these same options?

@Jlirry these are my exact same dilemmas. I just don't know what to do. 😔

Aug 2004 - Dec 2006: Aropax ( 20mg - 30mg). Aug 2007: Fluoxetine (for 3 weeks).

Sept 07 - July 12: Lexapro ( 10mg - 20mg). Pooped out July 12. Titrated down off Lexapro over 3 weeks and switched to Paroxetine (with Xanax to cover switch for 2 weeks).

Aug 2012 - Aug 2019: Paroxetine (titrated up to 20mg in first few weeks,, dose reduced to 15mg . for 7 years until it 'pooped out'.

4th Aug 2019 - Reduced dose of paroxetine to 10mg (for 1 day) - under phychiatrists directions. Last dose of paroxetine.

5th Aug 2019 - Switch to 15mg Mirtazapine.

5th Aug - 15th Aug 2019 - 15mg Mirtazapine plus intermitent use of Lorazapm (0.25- 0.5 . Also used 12.5mg Quetiapine for 3 nights for sleep.

23rd Aug 2019 - Ended up in crisis team. Mirtazapine increased to 30mg. Diazapam 10mg twice daily.

30th Aug 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 7.5mg twice daily

6th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine 30mg + Diazapam reduced to 5mg twice daily

13th Sept 2019 - Mirtazapine increased to 45mg. Diazapam increased back up to 10mg twice daily.

20th Sept - 29th Sept 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. Diazapam being reduced from 10mg down to 0mg this week (in 2mg increments couple of days).

30th Sept - Thursday 3rd Oct 2019: Mirtazapine 45mg. WORST ANXIETY EVER. Akathisia. Couldn't stay still. Suicidal idealization.

Friday 4th October - present: Reduced from 45mg to 30mg (straight drop to alleviate akathisia - reduction definitely helped alot but still not gone completely)

, Vit B6, Curcumin, Magnesium (no adverse effects from adding these supplements - have helped akathisia somewhat).

* Everything done from 23rd August under care of outpatient crisis team management.

Untitled document.docx

@cathnz I’m sorry to hear you’re facing the same dilemma as me. Wishing you all the best. Looks like we’ve on meds for roughly the same amount of time too. You from 2004, me from 2005.