Kimilorayne: Tapering off Amitriptyline and xanax

Kimilorayne

I have had several journeys off of meds . Lexapro/ celexa took me 3 attempts with a succesful tapering off of 6 months and then being off the med for a couple of years after. I never was the same I felt but I did make progress living without meds. Sadly in 2018 I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor . Radiation treatment  left me with 90 % hearing loss in one ear and then tinnitus( ringing in my ear) that was maddening . Catapulted me into panic attacks that were debilitating. It was horrible. Loving with single sided deafness/ tinnitus. I dont know which is worse ..... anyhow

the only remedy to help me was an anti depressant and the tryciclic one was chosen because the other ssris have tinnitus as a side effect so that was out . 🙄 I started on 25 mg of Elavil with a 1/2 of 0.5 xanax when needed for severe ringing . Felt so defeated having to go back on meds . I was living this past year settling into my med regimen and then I felt that I would like to try lessening my elavil to 10 mg . Everythi g was going well and then I hit a wall.  So upset. In my heart of hearts I I want tombe off all meds . And I need hope . Someone to help support me to regaining my life without meds and living with my dissability without them . Or If at best the minimum amount that will enable me to feel like im living and not dying . The withdrawal is making my life impossible.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Kimilorayne.

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants.

Here is some information on withdrawal to get you started: 

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Healing from antidepressants. Patterns of recovery video (4 minutes)

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

And some information on tapering:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline (Aka Vanatrip, Elavil, Endep, Saroten Retard)

11 hours ago, Kimilorayne said:

started on 25 mg of Elavil with a 1/2 of 0.5 xanax when needed for severe ringing .

Elevail and Xanax have a "moderate" interaction. Please see:

Drug Interaction Checker - Elavil and Xanax

What time(s) of the day are you taking these drugs? How often do you take Xanax? 

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

As you provide more information, we can better guide you in setting up a game plan for coming off these drugs. 

• Shep changed the title to Kimilorayne: Tapering off Amitriptyline and xanax