abic77: Withdrawal with poop out?

abic77

Hi - i have been on Citalopram 10 years.  A year ago i started getting the symptoms i was originally prescribed Citalopram for.

I wondered whether, when poop out occurs, if you can start to withdraw from the meds at that point?   Or is it just that the meds no longer work but you don't get withdrawal until you come off them because although they don't seem to be working any more, they are still in your system?

I guess I feel like i was withdrawing when poop out occurred but i actually doubled my dose first and still experienced symptoms (I was prescribed the meds for headaches, derealisation-type symptoms, brain fog etc.)

Thoughts please?

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, abic77.

1. What dosage were you on when the drug popped out?

2. When did you double the dose?

3. Are you still on the double dose?

When a drug poops out it's time to taper.  Upping the dose will sometimes give temporary relief but it will be only temporary.  Please read the following from Brassmonkey, one of our moderators, about poop out.

TACHYPHYLAXIS OR AS IT’S LOVINGLY KNOWN “POOPOUT

(7)

Although acute WD and Poopout are related they are not the same thing.  Acute WD is a severe case of WD Symptoms while Poopout is the body tolerating the effects of the drug, trying to work around them, and causing WD symptoms by doing so.  The harder the body rejects the medication the more severe the symptoms.  

It all stems from the body being a self-correcting homeostatic organism. It's designed to work with a specific balance of neurotransmitters and will do anything in its power to maintain that balance.  Taking an AD causes some the receptors for a specific neurotransmitter to stop working which floods the body with that NT and supposedly makes us feel better because of the excess.  After a while the body finds ways around this and works to regain homeostasis.  When the struggle for control that ensues becomes acute it is known as Tachyphylaxis, or Poopout.  In order to "cure" it, there must be a clear winner, leaving two options. Updose or taper.  

Once Poopout has set in it is going to continue to grow worse, no matter what. To Updose would just be buying a little time. By Updosing the drug is declared the winner, the symptoms subside somewhat, and you move on, but the body continues to fight.  This could last from a few months to a year or so, but in the end, things will go down hill again and leave a person in the same or worse situation and at a higher dosage, which would require a longer taper. To hold during poopout would only prolong the struggle and might make things worse as the body continues its fight for control. 

When it comes to Poopout the only way out it down.  If a person tapers, the body is declared the winner, repair work is started on the body and the symptoms subside.  BUT, it takes a long time to undo the physical changes the drug has made, and the presence of the drug is required to maintain those changes while the changes are being repaired. Thereby necessitating a long slow taper.

Tapering out of Poopout is a very frustrating process because there are no visible results for quite a long time.  There is not a lot of information available on time frames because Poopout is not a well-documented phenomenon.  Many people don’t realize that they are involved let alone how to treat it. From the information I have seen it generally takes eighteen months to two years before stabilization starts to appear. It then takes another eighteen months before improvements start to be readily apparent. Once improvements have started to appear they will increase in fits and starts and must be monitored by referring to ones WDnormal baseline.

-----

So it's time to taper.  We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Citalopram, including how to get the nonstandard does you'll need for your taper.

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can answer my questions, ask your own questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley,

Thanks for the welcome and for the swift response.

Quick overview: In summary - Citalopram 20mg 2009 - 2019.  Upped to 30, then 40mg Feb 2019.  Didn't feel any better after 10 months so started taper in Dec 2019.  Each step -10mg around 3-4 weeks each drop. Took final pill 30th March 2020.

My story (background):

Been on 20mg Citalopram since 2009 (for headaches, brain fog, tiredness, spaced out when then led to depression) with 2 breaks for pregnancy.  Been very happy with it until Feb 2019 when i began to get headaches, brain fog, spaced out and then depression and anxiety etc (symptoms i'd been prescribed it for originally).  Made me tired and anxious and i doubled my dose to 40mg as didn't really know what else to do.  Didn't work and after giving it a good 10 months asked the GP if maybe it had stopped working.  She agreed maybe it had (because at this point i feel she was at a loss as to what else to suggest so went along with it) so we agreed i would start to taper off the Citalopram with a view to trying Sertraline. 

I started the taper 19th December from 40mg to 30mg.  Went from 30mg to 20mg on 8th Jan and then 20mg to 10mg on 5th Feb.  I didn't really feel many withdrawal symptoms at those tapering stages.  Started alternating 10mg/0/10mg/0 a couple of weeks later but felt a bit rubbish so decided to stay 10mg (i only alternated for a week). 

Finally decided to stop the meds altogether on 30th March so went cold turkey from 10mg (i naively thought that as i hadn't experienced withdrawal with the other stages that i'd be ok.  I'm on day 18 of withdrawal and symptoms have improved a little but i still feel awful and headaches have returned, i have brain fog, feel spaced out and worst symptom is i feel like i can't quite see properly...like something is just off or something. Not nice and pretty scary 😞 

In amongst all of this (in the 10 months i was on the higher dose) i had periods of feeling horrendous symptoms and then i'd also have days where i felt completely normal.  I had pretty bad derealisation in that time (on the bad days) which was my worst symptom.

I was also diagnosed with chronic migraine and chronic tension-type headache in this time as the headaches etc were that bad i paid privately to see a neurologist.  The Neurologist believed that the derealisation is part of the migraine...

Thanks so much for your support 

Abi

@Abi  Thank you for sharing.  I learned that if you want to message someone directly on this post you can add the @ symbol in front of the name, no space.  Hope you are feeling better today.

Started Celexa as a sophmore in high school around 2014/2015 

I think I took Vyvance 2016/2017

Increased Celexa to 40 mg by 2018

Began to taper Celexa on 12/29/19, cut 1/4 of the 40 mg per week

Last dose of Celexa on 1/19/20

Reinstated 1 mg liquid Celexa in March 2020

Currently still taking 1 mg liquid Celexa

• Administrator

Welcome, abic.

It sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms:

5 hours ago, abic77 said:

Finally decided to stop the meds altogether on 30th March so went cold turkey from 10mg (i naively thought that as i hadn't experienced withdrawal with the other stages that i'd be ok.  I'm on day 18 of withdrawal and symptoms have improved a little but i still feel awful and headaches have returned, i have brain fog, feel spaced out and worst symptom is i feel like i can't quite see properly...like something is just off or something. Not nice and pretty scary 😞 

How have your symptoms changed in the last week?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to abic77 Withdrawal with poop out?

Hi Altostrata - thanks for the reply.  I feel like they have improved loads (mainly less dizzy and don't feel like crying every 2 mins any more) but i still feel spaced out and foggy and like i have a touch of DR.  I feel present and not depersonalisation (thank goodness) but do feel like when i'm sat doing some work/crafts with the kids like things look a bit strange.  It's so frustrating....i'm at a bit of a crossroads as i have no idea if the headaches/fog/derealisation is a depression symptom (i don't really feel depressed) or a migraine symptom (i don't really feel like i have migraine either).  

I had a decent day yesterday and almost felt back to my normal self.....but today i feel that the symptoms have returned!  

Do you think it's possible that the withdrawal recovery can be up and down?  I mean can you feel like symptoms have gone one day then returned the next?

Thanks again x

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, abic77 said:

Do you think it's possible that the withdrawal recovery can be up and down?  I mean can you feel like symptoms have gone one day then returned the next?

Hello Abic, 

with this sentence, you described exactly the healing pattern : Withdrawal recovery is all about ups and downs. Sometimes a symptom disappears, then come back, or a new symptom takes his place.

Have you read this topic ? It will help you to understand :

Take care ❤️

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• ChessieCat changed the title to abic77: Withdrawal with poop out?