destro77: Help with mirtazapine .. Please...

destro77

hello all... i just joined the group.. thank you in advance to anyone who responds to this post... ill keep my this as short as possible

aroound december 2019 was prescribed mirtazapine.. i have never been on an anti depressant so i was super hesitant to start, as my sleep and mood were not good .. pill was 15mg so i attempted to cut it in qaurters roughly 3.75 ... took it for about 2 months and it seemed to do the job, at least as far as sleep was concerned  ( was convinced that if my sleep went back to normal then my mood would follow)  though that i was " healed" and stopped taking it cold turkey in mid february 2020.  for a couple of weeks things were ok but then the insomnia came back with  a vengence about 3 weeks ago... Every night i would wake between 2-3 am and would be wide until about 5 am , i would dose off around 5 and have to wake up around 8'30am .  my quality of life was crap and i did not want to go back to the mirtazapine so i tried amino acid therapy ( 2 l tryphtopahns 3 times a day and 1 tablet of seriphos at bedtime)   the amino acids didnt do much... and i was at my wits end ...the no sleep coupled with covid 19 and 2 kids at home with no school was too much for me so 2 days ago i went back to the mirtazapine 7.5mg...and the last 2 nights have been fine, sleep and mood have been much better

i guess that i am just looking for advice on what to do next.. i know that mirtazapine is  not the long term answer .. should i stay on 7.5 for a few months and then begin to taper ?? should i start with the 3.75 as that seemed to work in the past?  is it normal for the sideffects of a drug take 2 to appear...    thanks again for any advice

• manymoretodays changed the title to destro77: Help with mirtazapine .. Please...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, destro77.

What you experienced is withdrawal from your cold turkey.  Do you have any symptoms other than insomnia.  Withdrawal symptoms can be delayed.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

I would drop back to 3.75mg; 7.5 may be too much for your sensitized system.  Please let us know how that works.  Then, as you say, I would stay on that dosage for several months to allow your system to stabilize.  The you can begin a taper.  We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering mirtazapine, including how to get the nonstandard doses you'll need for your 10% taper.

Tips for tapering off Remeron (mirtazapine)

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions an connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

The main withdrawal symptoms were depression, insomnia and a feeling where i could not get enjoyment out of anything.   Things that I used to look forward to and care about I was now not interested in ... how many months do you think I should stay on the 3.75 for   Thanks again 

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, destro77 said:

The main withdrawal symptoms were depression, insomnia and a feeling where i could not get enjoyment out of anything.   Things that I used to look forward to and care about I was now not interested in ... how many months do you think I should stay on the 3.75 for   Thanks again 

Those are typical withdrawal symptoms.  Inability to enjoy anything is called anhedonia and is very common in withdrawal.  

I would say at least 6 months, possibly more, until your symptoms diminish.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Gridley.   I have one last question... is it normal to start seeing  withdrawal symptoms about 2 months after shipping cold turkey. I stopped around mid February and sleep as ok until early April.  Then it went downhill fast in mid April.   Is that normal?  Thank you 

Hi destro77. Welcome aboard! I’m on Mirtazapine too. I’m not a moderator, but I would say that yes, it’s totally normal to have delayed withdrawal symptoms. This length of time between the cold turkey and the symptoms onset is sometime called a «honeymoon».

I see that Gridley has mentioned it in the first post:

10 hours ago, Gridley said:

Withdrawal symptoms can be delayed.

Take care.

2008-Today: various ADs, benzos and seroquel , initially for Anxiety Related Insomnia. (Absolutely no other mental issues than simple Insomnia!).

Numerous W/D and C/T of those meds. During those years, my GP diagnosed me with GAD, Depression, etc... It was all W/D related, I know now!

Fall of 2019, after too fast attempt to taper Mirtazapine, put myself in full blown W/D.
February 2020, found SA and staying on 45mg Mirtazapine, waiting for stabilization.

February 2021, I stupidly used some Ativan prn to cope with Mirtazapine W/D symptoms (By far worst mistake of all my life!!).

Became accidentally and rapidly addicted (within 2-3 weeks). Started taper immediately.

Actual medication: Mirtazapine: 40,0mg - holding-
Ativan Taper: Started at 0,29mg march 2021, 03-28 0.28mg/ 04-08 0.27mg/ 04-26 0.25mg/ (...) 10-29 0.18mg/ 04-05-22 0.17mg/ 08-25-22 0.16mg/ 09-15-22 0.15mg/ 10-22-22 0.14mg/…/ 01-12-2023 0.11mg /07-02-2024 switch to 1mg Valium /

14-02-2024 0,9mg Valium.

Supplements: Omega-3, Probiotic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi destro77,

And welcome aboard.  I can't tell from your first post above if you are referring to side effects from when you were on the drug, or WD(withdrawal) after you stopped the drug.  I do, also believe that WD, can hit at 2 months off the drug.  It does for many.

Also, so very helpful for us, if you could do this:  Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

You'll see these below other members posts, once signed in.  Just follow the instructions ^

Thank you.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing