Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

Altostrata

Compound liquid-

my compounder pharmacist who I use during my Klonopin taper, so I trust, he’s going to make up a compound mirtazapine liquid for my taper.

One formulation I’ve seen at the beginning of this was 1 mL equals 15 mg of mirtazapine per the UK instructions for their liquid.

I believe this is OK but can he make up a more diluted batch or say one milliliter equals 2mg?

have people asked for this and how has this turned out? 

I did an.25mg = 10mL for Klonopin compound and it worked out fine but just curious how it’s worked out for others for Mirtazapine.

also, I’ll abide by a two week change over kf bottles bc people mentioned degradation when waiting a whole month. Is this still the preference is 2 week new bottle?

Thank you.

Prior to March 2020 - no meds in 37yr life., no anxiety or depression.

mar’20- hospital with Covid like sym- panic attack- scared by reaction to ceftriaxone antibiotic - rash and tongue Never was covid, likely stomach bug

Apr ‘20- told to see psychiatrist after hospital(didn’t know one panic attack shouldn’t) .75mg K and 5mg Lexapro

May ‘20- switched to 25mg Sertrakine  mid June ‘20- .75-.625mg K by psych in weeek spiraled ended up in ER bc so sick; 10mg Trazodone for sleep, tapered 10mg over 2wks Jul ‘20

july’20- Sertrtrakine taper 25mg-18mh - aka terrible didnt know what was ;Dr said let’s change to 5mg Prozac

aug’20-tapered 5mg after taking for 2 weeks next 4 weeks, 1/4 pill a week.

Aug’20- Sept 5mg ambien tapered off over a month in Sept 2020. 12mg Seroquel given and immediately tapered over 3 weeks in Oct 20. Jan 21- 2 weeks 10mg  Elavil for sleep(didn’t know better), eye issues so CTd per Dr- 6wk Wd.

Mar’21- Started slow K taoer .635mg to .005mg-Aug’23 ;may’22-Aug 23-drop .01mg K liquid comp a month the last .16mg Jumped at .005mg-severe acute, akathisia and in dark closet for 8 wks bc eyes severe any light caused aka worse. all beta blockers once and caused worse, spec clonidine ,severe reaction. Severe SI and attempt - Psych hosoitaks invol Nov/Dec23- multiple meds one off, Lipitor for 3 wks- forced when refused, Depakote trial 10 days 250mg, ECt twice ugh with muscle relaxer ketamine and propofol- all meds what I didn’t want used against me and forced.

12/2/23- psych hosp 7.5mg Mirtazapine for severe aka but myoclonic jolts, eye issues and no benefit . 12/10- forced me 15mg 5 days, 7.5 since 12/15/23 .home 12/18. Tested covid positive 12/22/23. Negative 12/30. nightmare traumatized and hell on mirt not knowing what’s adverse effects(severe RLS, brain racing/swirling, eye flashing, jolts) after taking 

Severe neuro issues

100+ symptoms thru K taper and on

Compound pharm said will make suspension  1mg=1mL

and will be good for 35 days. 

mar’20- hospital with Covid like sym- panic attack- scared by reaction to ceftriaxone antibiotic - rash and tongue Never was covid, likely stomach bug

Apr ‘20- told to see psychiatrist after hospital(didn’t know one panic attack shouldn’t) .75mg K and 5mg Lexapro

May ‘20- switched to 25mg Sertrakine  mid June ‘20- .75-.625mg K by psych in weeek spiraled ended up in ER bc so sick; 10mg Trazodone for sleep, tapered 10mg over 2wks Jul ‘20

july’20- Sertrtrakine taper 25mg-18mh - aka terrible didnt know what was ;Dr said let’s change to 5mg Prozac

Aug’20- Sept 5mg ambien tapered off over a month in Sept 2020. 12mg Seroquel given and immediately tapered over 3 weeks in Oct 20. Jan 21- 2 weeks 10mg  Elavil for sleep(didn’t know better), eye issues so CTd per Dr- 6wk Wd.

Mar’21- Started slow K taoer .635mg to .005mg-Aug’23 ;may’22-Aug 23-drop .01mg K liquid comp a month the last .16mg Jumped at .005mg-severe acute, akathisia and in dark closet for 8 wks bc eyes severe any light caused aka worse. all beta blockers once and caused worse, spec clonidine ,severe reaction. Severe SI and attempt - Psych hosoitaks invol Nov/Dec23- multiple meds one off, Lipitor for 3 wks- forced when refused, Depakote trial 10 days 250mg, ECt twice ugh with muscle relaxer ketamine and propofol- all meds what I didn’t want used against me and forced.

12/2/23- psych hosp 7.5mg Mirtazapine for severe aka but myoclonic jolts, eye issues and no benefit . 12/10- forced me 15mg 5 days, 7.5 since 12/15/23 .home 12/18. Tested covid positive 12/22/23. Negative 12/30. nightmare traumatized and hell on mirt not knowing what’s adverse effects(severe RLS, brain racing/swirling, eye flashing, jolts) after taking 

Severe neuro issues

• 2 weeks later...

Any help, I am in severe shape 

Severe neuro issues

Keep reaching out. I hear you and see you and understand what you’re experiencing it’s all valid.

I am tapering Mirt right now and I can say it’s no walk in the park.

Your only job is just to get through the next 5 seconds and the next. 

Just breathe and I promise you it all subsides.

It May not feel like it right now but your nervous system is doing it’s job.

Distract distract and get armed with coping tools.

You can do this X

First AD when i was 19.Binge drinker/drugs 15 years weekend use.I was always pulled on and off.2005-2007-Mirtapine 45mg CT. 2010-2016 Paxil 40mg + Zopiclone.Jan-2016 i was CT off Paxil.Stopped alcohol Jan 2016.Given 2-4mg of Diazepam April 2016 CT them after 3 month.They reinstated 8mg of Diazepam July 2016 and the Doctor CT me off Zopiclone the same day.They then tried adding all different drugs Mirt one of them at 15mg (i took 7.5mg).I was tapered August 2016 7.5mg.Sep 2016 7mg.Oct 2016 6mg.Tried 1mg of Paxil-stopped after 2 days.Nov 2016 5.5mg.Tried olanzapine @2.5mg (stopped after a week)Dec 2016-5mg.Tried switching to liquid Jan-March 2017 (no good)back to pills.April 2017-4.75mg of Diazepam June 2017 -4.5mg.July 2018 went inpatient for 10 days.Awakening 4 days later.HELD.Sep 2017 4.3mg Dec 2017-4mg (Held)April 2019- started tapering the Mirtazapine.Sep 2019 at 6mg of Mirtazapine (HELD)Stopped smoking CT after 26 years.10.16.19..Restarted the Diazepam taper Jan 2020 micro tapering (game changer) now 18/7/23 @0.052mg Diazepam + Mirtazapine @6mg.

• 4 weeks later...

All-

At lower part of mirt compound bottle I don’t have adverse reactions after taking dose , starting new bottle all severe adverse reactions after taking dose come flooding back (severe RLS for hours and all the way til morning, aka hell, insomnia, stomach issues, lights flashing behind eyes, extreme body jolts). 
It seems the lower I get in bottle, and it’s shaken up well each time, RLS fades to almost none, no reaction after taking with other symptoms, sleep 3-4hrs. 

Have the withdrawal symptoms- weak, nauseated and bloating bad yet starving, unsteady walking, heart irregular, aka spells, headaches during day…. 

Thoughts please on bottle issue. I’m changing every 15/16 days bc at higher dose so it’s not like it’s getting close to 30day advised use/throw out after.

Please help with thoughts…. thanks!  

Severe neuro issues

@Boges11 i struggled with the liquid version of mirt and decided not to use it for my next taper. I’m not convinced of its stability and if you’re especially sensitive to any dose changes I think that’s a problem with the proprietary liquid mirt. I also seemed to have more symptoms when I started a new bottle which lead me to question its stability.
If I’ve read your signature correctly you’re at 7 mg now which is I believe when the dose reductions start to have more of an effect. Have you considered swapping to a homemade liquid version instead? I appreciate at the lower doses it gets harder but it may be worth considering, if only to rule the proprietary liquid in or out as part of the problem. 

2011 - started 15 mg mirtazepine. 2015- successfully tapered off. 2016 - Reinstated on 3.75mg as a sleep aid. July 2019 - 3.75mg Stopped working, increased to 15 then 22.5mg.Sept 2020 initiated slow liquid taper. Sept 2021 at 7.5mg for 3 months hit very bad withdrawals (also very stressed). Increased dose to 30 for 3 weeks then reduced to 22.5mg3rd Nov - Started magnesium supplement. 3rd Nov - started oestrogen hrt gel. 20th Dec - stopped oestrogen after 3 week taper. Currently still on 22.5mg mirtazepine and oral magnesium. 12/1 started with 1 capsule omega 3 fish oil. 14/ developed very loose motions so stopping the fish oil. 14/2/2022: after 5 months on the same dose decided to restart taper with a 5% cut: 21.4mg mirtazepine. Low histamine diet and magnesium. 14/03 reduced another 5% 20. 25mg 01/05 reduced to 19mg 01/06 reduced to 18.3mg 01/08 reduced to 17.3 mg 01/10 reduced to 16.5mg

Thanks @Jools44

My compounder uses the pure powder, and then the same suspension vehicle that I used for my compound for Klonopin, which worked fine for me. So I just I’m struggling to understand this… Although I have seen on pages on this website, that mirtazapine degrades overtime more than others. Which is why I thought two weeks would be fine to throw the bottle out after and start new because it didn’t reach anywhere close to 35 days expiration so should y have had any degradation.

i’m struggling to think about trying to change to going to a new formulation like capsules or something right now because I’ve changed brand and From tablets to liquid in the two months I’ve been on so far… So just not wanting to rock my body again and I’m on a blind taper. So I know I’ve come down also.

But of course I wanna be successful with this and be able to make it off, I so badly I want to get off the stuff .

My body is so sensitized from so many things happening the last couple months that I know that factors and my benzo injury is underneath all this doesn’t help. 

Hugs and thank you… wishing you well as you taper and keep in touch.

Severe neuro issues

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy