HealthHopeHappiness: sertraline withdrawal - will the side effects ever go?

HealthHopeHappiness

Whilst doing an internet search tonight about movement disorders and SSRIs (what a mistake!), I was horrified to see the editorial note below on a post on the Risk website. Can SSRIs really cause permanent and life limiting neurological diseases like the ones listed? I continue to have really scary muscular symptoms and this has really unsettled me. Can any mods comment on this? BB1413A9-3B99-4768-9229-73CCE0A73E42.thumb.jpeg.1fcc1d200b86e15212652f88ef0006e7.jpeg

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

Just documenting here that I had no choice but to start a course of penicillin on Friday. I have had tonsillitis for 4 weeks which I hoped would clear up on its own but the pain became too bad and I was starting to run a fever. The GP said I have bacterial tonsillitis and an antibiotic is necessary. Between this antibiotic and my booster vaccine I am expecting a big wave soon… 🙈

Mid-August 2020 - started 15mg Mirtazapine, increased to 30mg 2 weeks later. Late-September 2020 - switched to 20mg Paroxetine as Mirtazapine exacerbated RLS. October 2020 - stopped Paroxetine because of worsening RLS, muscle twitching and general restlessness.

Mid-October 2020 - Switched to 50mg Sertraline. Restlessness, muscle twitching and other symptoms even worse. Stopped taking it on 18 November following advice from GP - took every other day for a week before stopping completely. Mid-November 2020 - GP prescribed Propranolol to take as and when required for anxiety. Have only taken a few times as it makes me very light headed. January 2020 - currently taking magnesium citrate powder in evenings to help with RLS. Also taking high strength omega-3 fish oil. 

@HealthHopeHappiness Next Christmas you will be writing about how much you’ve improved and how you barely remember the horrors of 2021 💕. Hopefully I will be right there with you!

400mg SAM-e from ~Feb 10, 2018 to somewhere around July, 2018
25 mg Sertraline from January 2020 to mid April 2020

Cold turkey mid April 2020

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Currently on no meds or supplements.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 6:29 PM, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness Next Christmas you will be writing about how much you’ve improved and how you barely remember the horrors of 2021 💕. Hopefully I will be right there with you!

I love this thought. And I hope it is a reality for both of us 💕

Well, unfortunately no improvement in symptoms but instead they’ve changed and worsened. I am still finding walking challenging and my posture is very stooped, very Parkinson’s-like (my grandmother has Parkinson’s so I know what it looks like). I can’t carry anything whilst I walk or it affects my balance, I tried walking down the corridor at work holding a laptop and I almost fell. I have full blown dystonia in my left foot, when I stand in the shower and watch my foot, my toes curl as though they’re gripping something and my foot turns inward. I’m wondering if this is the cause of my walking difficulty. I still have hand dystonia on left side. I am having almost constant twitches/painless spasms all over my body and face, particularly left sided. I’m 14 months out. Can anyone who experienced dystonia/muscular issues share how long before they noticed an improvement? I’ve had frequent tingling/ant crawling sensation on my scalp and back of neck. 

I had to take a course of penicillin a couple of weeks ago but I ended up stopping during the treatment as my WD symptoms were escalating. Not sure if that was the right thing to do. I also had my booster in December so that won’t be helping. 

Positives are I’m definitely more accepting of the situation and not having panic attacks nearly as frequently as I was. More able to regulate and rationalise. 

Keep toying over whether to go to GP to check everything is still ok neuro wise but it makes me feel anxious at the thought of it. Do I just trust it’s still WD? 

I have akathisia. I don’t know what has happened the last few days but my left leg is twitching/pulsing/buzzing/vibrating externally and internally and nothing is helping - I feel like I want to pull my leg off. I can’t sit still. When I’m sitting or lying still, my head is also jerking almost like I’m being shocked. I’ve tried going for a long walk, heat, stretching, magnesium bath, magnesium oil. I don’t know what else to do. Help. 

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I saw your last two posts and it’s horrible what you’re going through. I think you’ve had a really bad year with needing to have surgery, getting sick and being on antibiotics, which are all things that make symptoms worse. I wish I had some advice other than “hang in there” but of course if I had any solid ideas, I would be symptom free now too! I will say one thing that pertains to my situation. It almost seems that whenever one physical symptom stops bothering me so much and I’ve become accepting of that one thing, some other issue will creep in and start getting me worked up and afraid again. Then the fear makes me focus on that issue constantly, which makes it more painful or unsettling, which then sends me either to google or the doctor. After two years of this (if you include when I started the AD), I’ve realized that if I’m going to do one or the other, the doctor wins. I’ve 100% cut myself off of all health searches online. It was making me spiral and putting me in that mindset of “I have no future because this is going to take me down, torture me and kill me.” And it’s bad enough that I’m the type of person that could read 8 reassuring articles and one bad article, and I’d only remember the bad article, but on top of that, there are no reassuring articles online. The best you’re going to get is an article about the worst that could possibly happen with one line thrown in about how that’s probably not the case. The worst offender…always avoid this…is googling cause+effect. You could google “do oranges cause cancer” and there will be some form of research online saying yes they do. I seriously just googled this to prove my own point, and…don’t google that if you like oranges. Since you might be in a wave for a while given all that you’ve been through, it might be beneficial to take a break if you have the means. Can you get a weekend or even just one night away with your spouse? Especially doing something you love where your current physical setbacks won’t get in the way. I know this can be hard with kids.

Re-instated 25 mg Sertraline from early May 2020 for next three weeks then cold turkey again.

Hello @HealthHopeHappiness

I know it’s difficult at the moment but all the symptoms you experience are as a result of an upset nervous system. The good thing is our bodies and minds are very clever at repairing and re-finding balance. Unfortunately we don’t know how long it will take.

I too experience buzzing/vibrating in my legs that comes and goes in waves, some days are worse than others and this has been ongoing since May 2021. It’s hard but the more you focus on things the worse they get. I find going for a walk helps distract me from all the neurological disturbances. Restless legs is one of the worst symptoms and I’m going through a bad patch with this the past week.

Just try to remind yourself that these symptoms and feelings are temporary. Keep going and never give up, you will beat it.

Active Monday-Friday UK time

MEDICATION:

1) Sertraline:

50mg - Oct 2020, 100mg - Dec 2020, 50mg - April 2021, 75mg - May 2021, 50mg - Sep 2021; Failed taper attempt (50 -> 49) - Jan 2024; Second attempt to start taper - 17 Feb 2024

Current dose: 48.9mg (Feb 2024)

2) Mirtazapine:

15mg  - Nov 2020

SUPPLEMENTS:

Cod liver oil

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @HealthHopeHappiness  I'm so very sorry you're having to experience these symptoms, and really look forward to you being eventually free of them.  

Constant healing wishes to you,

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

@HealthHopeHappiness I was searching Baylissa Frederick’s site and browsing success stories that took longer than 18 months to reach recovery. This is an excerpt from one of the experiences that might relate to yours in the sense that she did not have any relief over a longer period of time… remember this is a success story in the end!

I suffered longer than most. Well into protracted, I was bed-bound and house-bound. I had no breaks from the symptoms. I was sensitive to everything: many types of food and almost every household cleaning   product. I had terrible depersonalization, derealization, hallucinations, very bad paranoia, terrible akathisia, distortions, agonizing nerve pain, pins and needles (paraesthesia), insects crawling on my skin (formication), zaps, brain sensations, muscle pain, all my skin burned, confusion, severe insomnia, digestions issues, I was twisted with back and shoulder pain that would travel to other parts of my body, urinary problems, sound and sight hypersensitivity, twitches, myoclonic jerks and spasms, intense depression and terror. No windows and it felt like I was getting worse and worse.

36 minutes ago, SandCastle said:

@HealthHopeHappiness I was searching Baylissa Frederick’s site and browsing success stories that took longer than 18 months to reach recovery. This is an excerpt from one of the experiences that might relate to yours in the sense that she did not have any relief over a longer period of time… remember this is a success story in the end!

I suffered longer than most. Well into protracted, I was bed-bound and house-bound. I had no breaks from the symptoms. I was sensitive to everything: many types of food and almost every household cleaning   product. I had terrible depersonalization, derealization, hallucinations, very bad paranoia, terrible akathisia, distortions, agonizing nerve pain, pins and needles (paraesthesia), insects crawling on my skin (formication), zaps, brain sensations, muscle pain, all my skin burned, confusion, severe insomnia, digestions issues, I was twisted with back and shoulder pain that would travel to other parts of my body, urinary problems, sound and sight hypersensitivity, twitches, myoclonic jerks and spasms, intense depression and terror. No windows and it felt like I was getting worse and worse.

@SandCastleit means a lot that you thought of me and took the time to share this. Thanks also for your last post which, as always, was very helpful and true. No change here unfortunately, symptoms still constant and ever changing. 

I'm wondering how you are? 💕

I want you to know that I do not think dystonia is permanent.  I believe that drugs cause it to continue, and doctors do not see how sensitive we are nor that dystonia can resolve.  Sometimes we need drugs like antibiotics, and a temporary issue like dystonia might increase for a while.  

The akathisia is more concerning.  Which antibiotic?  I can’t help you right now, but if you post the name of the antibiotic, I hope someone else can.  I would not want aka to increase or take too long to decrease or stop.

A big hug to you, R

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

On 1/27/2022 at 12:43 PM, Rosetta said:

I want you to know that I do not think dystonia is permanent.  I believe that drugs cause it to continue, and doctors do not see how sensitive we are nor that dystonia can resolve.  Sometimes we need drugs like antibiotics, and a temporary issue like dystonia might increase for a while.  

The akathisia is more concerning.  Which antibiotic?  I can’t help you right now, but if you post the name of the antibiotic, I hope someone else can.  I would not want aka to increase or take too long to decrease or stop.

A big hug to you, R

Thanks @Rosetta. It was Penicillin V I took. 

Made a very silly decision last night. It was my aunt’s birthday party and I decided to have a few gins. I haven’t really had any alcohol since my daughter was born and certainly not during WD. I just felt like I have done everything I can and yet I still feel terrible so what do I have to lose. What a mistake. Last night and today have been awful. Visual disturbances, tinnitus, racing heart as well as an escalation in all my normal muscular symptoms. A hangover + WD = a recipe for disaster. 

• Moderator Emeritus

So sorry @HealthHopeHappiness.  I certainly can imagine the temptation.  I hope the symptoms resolve quickly.  They certainly show that your system is in active mode as it works toward healing.❤️

Arbor

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness just checking to see if you got through that uptick in symptoms ok. I definitely understand the feeling of “things can’t possibly get worse”! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, SandCastle said:

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness just checking to see if you got through that uptick in symptoms ok. I definitely understand the feeling of “things can’t possibly get worse”! 

Hi @SandCastleunfortunately still the same over here. 15 months off now and the muscle twitching, vibrating, tension and weakness is pretty much constant. Don’t think anything has improved really. Sorry for the depressing update. Hopefully can come back and add a more positive update soon. 💕

@Rosettado you remember when your dystonia symptoms began to lessen? I have hand and forearm, leg and foot, throat and tongue dystonia and I am getting no relief from these symptoms at all. My hand is permanently in a fist, toes curling and tongue pushed against roof of mouth. The side of my throat/neck is tense and moving by itself too. I’m 15 months off. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I send you healing wishes @HealthHopeHappiness

This is so very challenging.  Do you find magnesium citrate helpful?  I changed to magnesium glycinate and could feel an improvement with muscle twitches.  This may just be me of course, but I share it as a small possibility.

Thinking of you,

Arbor

41 minutes ago, arbor said:

I send you healing wishes @HealthHopeHappiness

This is so very challenging.  Do you find magnesium citrate helpful?  I changed to magnesium glycinate and could feel an improvement with muscle twitches.  This may just be me of course, but I share it as a small possibility.

Thinking of you,

Arbor

Thank you @arborI have just ordered some. I’m so desperate. The magnesium citrate makes me calm/drowsy sometimes but isn’t helping with muscular problems. It also upsets my stomach. How long did it take your muscle symptoms to settle? 💕

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @HealthHopeHappiness--I'm sure you feel desperate.  I believe my muscle jerking started to get better about 18 months after zero.  The twitches do return however when I'm stressed.  Also, if I am low in magnesium, I get terrible leg cramps.  Akathisia continues to be a challenge.  Walking helps me with that the most, I believe.

Please know I'm thinking of you,

Arbor

4 hours ago, arbor said:

Dear @HealthHopeHappiness--I'm sure you feel desperate.  I believe my muscle jerking started to get better about 18 months after zero.  The twitches do return however when I'm stressed.  Also, if I am low in magnesium, I get terrible leg cramps.  Akathisia continues to be a challenge.  Walking helps me with that the most, I believe.

Please know I'm thinking of you,

Arbor

Thank you @arbor. That helps. I’m so sorry you’re still bothered by some of these symptoms. 💕

Hi, HHH,

I’m sorry you are struggling so much.  The time this takes is unbelievable.  When did the dystonia get better?  It’s not gone completely, but it’s less intense and it comes and goes.  I have few days here and there when I don’t feel it at all.  This will happen for you, too, I believe, but it may be far in the future.  

We all make mistakes.  It’s very hard to believe that our health is so fragile.  It’s hard to understand this syndrome.  We on our own trying to cope with it.  The doctors don’t understand it and don’t care to try, most of them.  

Doctors want their paychecks, they are overworked and they believe the lies of the pharmaceutical companies because that’s what is easy for them.  Everyone conveniently believes the lies because the cost of speaking out is too great.  Doctors don’t think for themselves, they don’t own their own practices, and they don’t have financial security.  It’s as bad as it was when snake oil salesmen traveled in covered wagons handing out opium.  All medical professionals are like serfs beholden to corporate medical companies controlled by administrators who care about the bottom line and nothing else.  We have to protect ourselves and take the risks that come with being less than perfectly knowledgeable.  We have to muddle through.

Oohf!  Those gins didn’t help much!  Look at it this way: you will never do that again.  It’s under appreciated how alcohol affects us, isn’t it? It seems so innocuous.  Before ADs, alcohol caused a temporary feeling that was gone by the next day.  I’ve come to realize that WD syndrome is essentially the same as PAWS caused by alcoholism.  Each dose of a new “medicine,” or drink of alcohol, causes the equilibrium of the nervous system to be disrupted.  The only medicine that is safe is the drug that the nervous system requires to remain stable and in exactly the dose it requires, no more, no less.  

You CT’d in November 2020, I see.  There is no way to know when your brain will be done returning to its natural state, but different symptoms will disappear before others.  Let’s hope dystonia will be one of the first!   For me, I could only guess when it was noticeably less pronounced.  The nature of windows and waves makes it hard pinpoint because I may have thought I was substantially over some symptom, but a bad wave would bring it back.  I can’t form memories of something ending if I don’t know at the time whether it is the end, you know?  You could scroll through my thread, but that’s tedious.  

It’s changed, that true.  More later on that.  I hope today is bit better for you, dear.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

On 2/22/2022 at 10:03 PM, Rosetta said:

Hi, HHH,

I’m sorry you are struggling so much.  The time this takes is unbelievable.  When did the dystonia get better?  It’s not gone completely, but it’s less intense and it comes and goes.  I have few days here and there when I don’t feel it at all.  This will happen for you, too, I believe, but it may be far in the future.  

We all make mistakes.  It’s very hard to believe that our health is so fragile.  It’s hard to understand this syndrome.  We on our own trying to cope with it.  The doctors don’t understand it and don’t care to try, most of them.  

Doctors want their paychecks, they are overworked and they believe the lies of the pharmaceutical companies because that’s what is easy for them.  Everyone conveniently believes the lies because the cost of speaking out is too great.  Doctors don’t think for themselves, they don’t own their own practices, and they don’t have financial security.  It’s as bad as it was when snake oil salesmen traveled in covered wagons handing out opium.  All medical professionals are like serfs beholden to corporate medical companies controlled by administrators who care about the bottom line and nothing else.  We have to protect ourselves and take the risks that come with being less than perfectly knowledgeable.  We have to muddle through.

Oohf!  Those gins didn’t help much!  Look at it this way: you will never do that again.  It’s under appreciated how alcohol affects us, isn’t it? It seems so innocuous.  Before ADs, alcohol caused a temporary feeling that was gone by the next day.  I’ve come to realize that WD syndrome is essentially the same as PAWS caused by alcoholism.  Each dose of a new “medicine,” or drink of alcohol, causes the equilibrium of the nervous system to be disrupted.  The only medicine that is safe is the drug that the nervous system requires to remain stable and in exactly the dose it requires, no more, no less.  

You CT’d in November 2020, I see.  There is no way to know when your brain will be done returning to its natural state, but different symptoms will disappear before others.  Let’s hope dystonia will be one of the first!   For me, I could only guess when it was noticeably less pronounced.  The nature of windows and waves makes it hard pinpoint because I may have thought I was substantially over some symptom, but a bad wave would bring it back.  I can’t form memories of something ending if I don’t know at the time whether it is the end, you know?  You could scroll through my thread, but that’s tedious.  

It’s changed, that true.  More later on that.  I hope today is bit better for you, dear.

Thank you @Rosetta. Your words always help. 💕

Things aren’t good for me at all right now, I’m reaching similar levels of physical and emotional burnout that I had prior to going off work in 2020 at the start of WD. I had bloods done by GP which showed my ferritin is extremely low, so is folic acid. My FSH hormone is high, meaning possible Premature Ovarian Insufficiency (perimenopause). Physically my whole body aches, especially my legs. They are twitching and buzzing 24/7 and feel like they can’t support me, I feel so weak and have awful niggling sciatic pain coming from my lower back/pelvis. I know the very low ferritin will be causing a lot of these symptoms as well as WD. So will the perimenopause hormones. The worst of it all is I feel so disconnected from my husband, I feel angry all the time. I am so exhausted when I’m with my daughter. I feel like I’m failing. I don’t know what to do. 

A real intensification of symptoms over here: 

- Visual disturbances  almost constantly, like little cobwebs and black lines floating in front of my eyes. This is always a telltale sign for me that I’m hitting an intense wave. 
-Tinnitus, very loud and random buzzing in my ears. 
-Strange twitching and vibrations in my inner ears. 
- Tremors and twitching everywhere. 
- Dystonia all down my left side; arm, hand, leg, foot and painful spasm in my toes.
- Constant clenching of left hand and curling of toes. 
- Slow and stiff walking and very stooped posture. Especially difficult when walking down a sloped area or stairs, feels like my legs will buckle or I’ll lose my balance. 

Trying to stay calm. Can’t quite believe how awful this is still. I do have a sinus infection again and some sort of virus, I am a teacher and pick up lots of bugs. I also have had to start iron and folic acid because of recent blood tests. 

I don’t talk to anyone in real life about WD now. I honestly don’t think they would believe how bad it is. And I would never  mention it to my GP despite speaking to him regularly about my other health issues. I feel so alone with this. A positive is I am slightly less fearful, or maybe I’m just a bit numb to it all right now. 

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I understand what you’re saying about not talking to anyone personally about withdrawal, not to mention feeling like you’re failing with family. There is a drastic amount of faking it at work and anywhere in public when you are dealing with all this, and the energy level required to keep that up plummets at home. My kids think the only games I know are “tea party” or Memory. Games that involve chase like tag and hide and seek are out for me right now between the back/hip pain and low energy. But for what it’s worth I don’t even really remember my parents playing active games with me either, and I’ve never seen that as missing out. I remember playing cards, board games, putting a bunch of barrettes in my mom’s hair. I think you’re probably making a lot of great memories with your daughter and don’t even realize it. 
I know it’s more difficult with adults. After suffering through the side effects and withdrawal from Sertraline for over two years combined, I’ve brought this up with my husband maybe three times. In my situation, my husband has been on anti-anxiety meds for over 15 years and swears by them. So anytime I mentioned it, the typical response was that I had to try something different until I found the right one. There really is no convincing most doctors or even most people in your life that are close to you because most will just not get it. I wish you had some more IRL support to get through these especially difficult times like you’re going through now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear @HealthHopeHappiness  I'm just catching up with your recent posts.  W/d is so truly terrible.  Since your symptoms parallel many of mine, I want to encourage you by reporting that some are improving.  For instance, the low ferritin is starting to climb and is nearly at normal.  There are small windows now when the tinnitus/buzzes/clickings and eye floaters aren't as pronounced.  My hip pain is there, but not as bad.  (I sleep lieing on an icepack--I don't know if that would be helpful for you).  I agree that people who haven't experienced psychotropic drug w/d couldn't imagine how difficult this is.

On 3/4/2022 at 10:57 AM, HealthHopeHappiness said:

I don’t talk to anyone in real life about WD now.

The isolation we feel really saddens me, especially as @SandCastlementioned, when we can't talk to those closest to us.  🙁

I find holding it together around other people exhausting.  You're amazing I think for your fortitude.  I send you hugs and healing wishes,

Arbor

On 3/9/2022 at 7:59 PM, arbor said:

Dear @HealthHopeHappiness  I'm just catching up with your recent posts.  W/d is so truly terrible.  Since your symptoms parallel many of mine, I want to encourage you by reporting that some are improving.  For instance, the low ferritin is starting to climb and is nearly at normal.  There are small windows now when the tinnitus/buzzes/clickings and eye floaters aren't as pronounced.  My hip pain is there, but not as bad.  (I sleep lieing on an icepack--I don't know if that would be helpful for you).  I agree that people who haven't experienced psychotropic drug w/d couldn't imagine how difficult this is.

The isolation we feel really saddens me, especially as @SandCastlementioned, when we can't talk to those closest to us.  🙁

I find holding it together around other people exhausting.  You're amazing I think for your fortitude.  I send you hugs and healing wishes,

Arbor

@arborthank you for taking the time to write such a reassuring post. I didn’t realise low ferritin was related to w/d, I thought it was a separate issue. I am so pleased to hear you have small windows from a lot of your physical symptoms now, I hope the windows become bigger really soon for you. Thank you for your encouraging words. 💕

On 3/8/2022 at 7:15 PM, SandCastle said:

Hi @HealthHopeHappiness I understand what you’re saying about not talking to anyone personally about withdrawal, not to mention feeling like you’re failing with family. There is a drastic amount of faking it at work and anywhere in public when you are dealing with all this, and the energy level required to keep that up plummets at home. My kids think the only games I know are “tea party” or Memory. Games that involve chase like tag and hide and seek are out for me right now between the back/hip pain and low energy. But for what it’s worth I don’t even really remember my parents playing active games with me either, and I’ve never seen that as missing out. I remember playing cards, board games, putting a bunch of barrettes in my mom’s hair. I think you’re probably making a lot of great memories with your daughter and don’t even realize it. 
I know it’s more difficult with adults. After suffering through the side effects and withdrawal from Sertraline for over two years combined, I’ve brought this up with my husband maybe three times. In my situation, my husband has been on anti-anxiety meds for over 15 years and swears by them. So anytime I mentioned it, the typical response was that I had to try something different until I found the right one. There really is no convincing most doctors or even most people in your life that are close to you because most will just not get it. I wish you had some more IRL support to get through these especially difficult times like you’re going through now.

Gosh, @SandCastleit really is so isolating isn’t it. I’m sorry you’ve been unable to talk to your husband about it, I can relate to that. It must be especially hard because your husband is on them with no issues, I’ve had family members say similar things to me.

I honestly think my GP thinks I’m nuts anytime I mention w/d. It has totally changed my perception and feelings towards all medical professionals, I have no trust in any of them. 

Thank you for always reaching out. It gives me a boost whenever I see you’ve posted. 💕

Looking for advice, maybe from a mod but don’t want to tag anyone and waste anyone’s time… apparently my tooth has cracked down the middle and an abscess has started to form, I’ve been to the dentist today and had an X-ray. Funnily enough, the cracked tooth must be from bruxism that I suffered with at the start of w/d 😣 The dentist has prescribed me Metronidazole and said I must take it for 5 days to clear the infection. I typed the name into the search bar and lots of results came up saying avoid at all costs. I have emailed my dentist asking if there is a safer alternative. I am still in a huge wave and I am terrified of what will happen if I take something like this. But I also can’t have an abscess. At this point, I’d rather lose the tooth (it’s right at the back) than take medication that will plunge me into a deeper wave. Can anyone advise? Is there a safer alternative? 

The dentist showed me on the X-ray the amount of pressure building up in my tooth, it looked pretty bad. The pain is getting worse but I am taking paracetamol to take the edge off. Not sure what to do next. 

I’ve decided to try adjusting my diet to see if it helps ease my w/d symptoms. Feel as though I’ve tried everything else and this is the one thing I’ve not done. I’m following The Immune System Recovery Plan and starting with 3 weeks of eliminating dairy, gluten and sugar. May as well give it a go. So it’s goodbye to cups of regular tea, biscuits and Diet Coke and hello to more water, fruit & veg and herbal teas. Will document here if I feel there are any positive changes. 🤞🏻

Tested positive for COVID tonight 😣

• Moderator Emeritus

OMGoodness @HealthHopeHappiness You've been going through so much.  I wish I knew more to help you with your tooth and now COVID.  Across the miles I send you many, many wishes for feeling better.  Take good care of yourself 🙏💜🌱

Arbor

@HealthHopeHappinessOh no, I’m so sorry you tested positive for covid! I hope you’re feeling ok. Any virus is hard on symptoms, but imagine that one would really make things difficult. I would love to hear if the new eating plan helps! I also have a terribly hard time changing my diet for the better 😆.

Thank you @arborand @SandCastle. I’m now on day 4 of my covid infection, my daughter has it too. I’ve been quite unwell with awful headaches and fever and now the cough has started. My daughter has a cough and headache too. Interestingly, when my covid symptoms were at the worst on day 2, my neurological symptoms were through the roof and it felt like my nervous system was malfunctioning! I was going between fever and being freezing cold and my body was covered in goosebumps from my scalp to my toes. I had tinnitus, visual disturbances and constant muscle movements. I want to record a positive here too though and say I did notice an improvement in my dystonia symptoms when my covid symptoms were at their worst. Amazing! 💕