SusieQ : Introduction

SusieQ

I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and after some advertise reactions to other options, I was prescribed Ritalin and Olanzapine.  After three years, I was told by the treating psychiatrist to cease taking them.  There was not a problem with Ritalin, but great difficulty with Olanzapine, which resulted in severe insomnia.  My general practitioner prescribed Amyitriptaline to be taken in the evenings, which worked in respect to the sleep problems.  Now concerned about what might happen when I stop taking this medication.

Edited by Erell
  • Erell changed the title to SusieQ : Introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello 

And welcome on SA. 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved.

--》 I understand that you've given the infos above but could you please create a drug signature ? Please include drugs, doses, dates, discontinuations. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can, and allow us to see your history at a glance.

This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

1 hour ago, SusieQ said:

Now concerned about what might happen when I stop taking this medication.

-> How long have you been taking Amitriptyline ? What dose are you taking ?

-> How are you feeling now ? How is your sleep ?

We recommend our members to do very slow tapers (no more than 10% every 4-6 weeks) and to never skip a dose to taper a psychdrug.
Please see : 

why-taper-by-10-of-my-dosage

never-skip-doses-to-taper

tips-for-tapering-off-amitriptyline

This might help you understand why it is important to respect the pace of our Central Nervous System 

On 8/30/2011 at 9:28 PM, Rhiannon :

"When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) "

The goal of a slow taper is to keep withdrawal symptoms minimal and give enough time to our CNS to do his repair/adjustments work.
We also recommend our members to learn nondrug coping skills to deal with withdrawal symptom. You mentionned that you're afraid about your sleep, you might find great tips here : 

tips-to-help-sleep

Please take the time to read the threads, and feel free to ask questions :)

Again, welcome.

Edited by Erell

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.