joewest1802 Amitriptyline 10mg withdrawal side effects. How much longer?

joewest1802

Hey all,

So I have been taking amitriptyline 10mg for 2 years, and just recently tapered off fairly rapidly.

I was prescribed them for severe OCD, which I conquered about a year ago.

I don't know if how I'm feeling is down to withdrawal from this drug, but I feel awful.

Depressed, moody, very irritable, and most annoyingly of all - internal tremors that feel like my bed is constantly vibrating.

I tapered down from 10mg to 5mg and then took one every other day, this process was about 3 weeks until I stopped completely.

And it's been 4 weeks since I stopped completely.

I know such a small dose shouldn't cause such withdrawal symptoms, but it definitely does, as about a year ago I ran out of them for 10 days and felt awful then too.

I've flirted with the idea of jumping back on them and then tapering down even more gradually (if that's even possible), but I don't want to end up back at square one, when I could be so close to reaching the end of these withdrawal symptoms.

The questions I need answering are:

After 4 weeks of these withdrawal symptoms, should I ride it out from here, or jump back on and try tapering off more slowly?

How much longer are these symptoms likely to last?

Also, are there any vitamins or supplements I could take to make this easier in the meantime?

Thanks

• Altostrata changed the title to joewest1802 Amitriptyline 10mg withdrawal side effects. How much longer?
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Welcome, @joewest1802

Yes, you can get withdrawal syndrome from going off any amount of amitriptyline. Skipping doses to taper is a particularly good way to trigger withdrawal symptoms!

How are you feeling now?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

(Please look in your personal messages on this site, we have been trying to reach you.)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 weeks later...

@joewest1802 I just read your post and would like to know how you are doing now?

Completely drug free 11/26/22 🎉

Supplements: Magnesium citrate: 250 mg; Fish oil: 1200 mg

“When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.” - Victor Frankl