Babs65: Want to Taper Prozac and Wellbutrin

Babs65

I am brand new to this site and scared to death after reading this post BUT hopeful.

1986 Prozac now Fluoxetine 20mg 2x a day

added 2002 Postpardum Wellbutrin now on 300XL 1 x day

Just began reading A Mind of Your Own by Kelly Brogan MD which is how I learned of this site

I will soon turn 56 and antidepressants have ruled my life.  I can see the prolonged use is causing my condition to worsen as I an having to go to Canada for Brand Name (generic doesn’t work) Insurance won’t cover $2400 month Brand in the US.  
I know this will be a challenge but with Dr. Brogan’s assistance and a local homeopathic Dr I’m hopeful.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  It's really good that you came her before starting your taper.  Many people do a fast taper, then get very sick.  If you taper the way we suggest, it should make your withdrawal symptoms minimal and manageable.  Please don't start the taper until you read the information below. 

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history?  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

Then, we will need to determine which drug you should taper off of first.  Here is a link about that: 

Taking Multiple Psych Drugs: Which to Taper First?

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Tapering must be done extremely slowly, and we taper by 10% of the current dose, so that the taper becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called waves and windows.  

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 3 that we do often find helpful are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself.  Hope to hear back from you soon. 

Edited by getofflex
take out word "recommend"

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

I asked the other mods for their opinion of whether to taper Wellbutrin or Prozac first.  Here is the response I got.  Please read this over and let me know what you think.  The 2 options are to reduce Wellbutrin extra slowly (less than 10% per month), or we can reduce one for a while, and then the other for a while.  

Check for side effects and drug interaction.  If the person had taken one of the drugs by itself and knows how it affects them then they might reduce the one that was started afterwards especially if they know that their sleep was okay on the single drug.

From https://www.drugs.com/:

Common Wellbutrin side effects may include:

• dry mouth, sore throat, stuffy nose;

• ringing in the ears;

• blurred vision;

• nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, loss of appetite, constipation;

• sleep problems (insomnia);

• tremors, sweating, feeling anxious or nervous;

• fast heartbeats;

• confusion, agitation, hostility;

• rash;

• weight loss;

• increased urination;

• headache, dizziness; or

• muscle or joint pain.

Common Prozac side effects may include:

• sleep problems (insomnia), strange dreams;

• headache, dizziness, drowsiness, vision changes;

• tremors or shaking, feeling anxious or nervous;

• pain, weakness, yawning, tired feeling;

• upset stomach, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea;

• dry mouth, sweating, hot flashes;

• changes in weight or appetite;

• stuffy nose, sinus pain, sore throat, flu symptoms; or

• decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm.

In the case of Prozac and Wellbutrin because of the interaction is might be worth considering reducing one for a while and then reducing the other for a while.

When the Wellbutrin is reduced whilst taking fluoxetine then because it increases the effect of fluoxetine it might need to be reduced by less than 10%.

As with reducing any drug/s symptoms would need to be monitored.

From https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

Serious - Use Alternative

• fluoxetine + bupropion

fluoxetine increases toxicity of bupropion by unspecified interaction mechanism. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug. May lower seizure threshold; keep bupropion dose as low as possible.

Monitor Closely

• bupropion + fluoxetine

bupropion will increase the level or effect of fluoxetine by affecting hepatic enzyme CYP2D6 metabolism. Use Caution/Monitor.

Edited by getofflex

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

Please note that the above post was only the opinion of one moderator; there was no collaboration with other mods.  The above post by getofflex was my response in the Taking multiple psych drugs, which to taper first topic here:

taking-multiple-psych-drugs-which-drug-to-taper-first

On 3/10/2021 at 10:17 AM, Babs65 said:

I an having to go to Canada for Brand Name (generic doesn’t work) Insurance won’t cover $2400 month Brand in the US.  

Q:  Is it Wellbutrin that you are having difficulty obtaining?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management