IgotMyselfIntoMess: I have been using three medications and I don't even know what is the cause of my symptoms anymore

IgotMyselfIntoMess

Hi! This is IgotMyselfIntoMess. I started Xanax in September, and citalopram (20 mg) and Mirtazapine (15 mg) in the beginning of the October due to a mix of insomnia and anxiety. In October, I started tapering Xanax, and quit it completely in the end of December. I quit citalopram last week, and now currently tapering Mirtazapine.

By trusting the judgement of my psychiatrist, I never once read the prospectus of the medications I was prescribed. And ever since October, I've been having a cocktail of symptoms: tremors, twitches, muscle rigidity in my jaw area. I never thought the antidepressants would be the culprit of these symptoms, and now I blame myself for being so gullible and putting myself into such mess. I came to this forum to have some hope about the recovery from my symptoms, cuz I have been about to lose that lately...

2021 September - 2021 December - Xanax. Started with 0.5, went up to 2 mg, and then started my taper in the end of October

2021 October - 2022 January Citalopram 20mg

2021 October - 2022 January Mirtazapine 15 mg

@IgotMyselfIntoMess

Welcome to SA. I'm so sorry to hear you are going through all of this. But it is normal for dr's to do this to people. This medication isn't working, so they add one, then another and pretty soon you are on a cocktail, just like you.

Before we begin, could you please create a signature. Thank you.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

This is your page where you will receive information, you ask questions, and meet members that are going through what you are or have gone through it. We ask that you only post on this introduction page so we can keep all your information together.

How much Xanax were you on? And you tapered off in 3 months? That is a very fast taper.  How do you feel off the Xanax? 

And you tapered off 20 mg Citalopram in 4 months? 

And now you are tapering off 15 mg Mirtazapine? 

You started all of these tapers basically all at once. That is a huge blow to your nervous system.

We don't suggest anything higher than 10% a month.

I'm going to leave some information for you to read so you might get an idea of what you are going through.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

One Theory of Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome

Brain Remodelling

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

We don't suggest supplements on here. But we have found to some that magnesium and omega is calming to the nervous system. If you want to try one, try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

I hope I have been able to give you some information that you need to reinstate, if you choose to. Please let us know if you have any questions.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for your message and suggestions! Sorry for the late response. It's been a while since I've been deeply depressed, and now I am able to open my laptop and write some stuff.

I will add the medications to my signature, as you suggested.

2021 September - 2021 December - Xanax. Started with 0.5, went up to 2 mg, and then started my taper in the end of October

2021 October - 2022 January Citalopram 20mg

2021 October - 2022 January Mirtazapine 15 mg