Violets: Fully recovered from severe form of PSSD after two years

• getofflex changed the title to Violets: Fully recovered from severe form of PSSD after two years
  • Moderator Emeritus

Violet, thank you for posting your success story!  I'm very happy to hear that you have recovered from this.  Your story will give hope to many people who come in here.  Congratulations on graduating and finding a loving partner!  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Hi @Violets, congratulations !!

Our story is very similar, I took Lexapro (5 then 10mg) for about 3 months then I stoppee in April 2020. I have exactly the same symptoms as yours except PSSD (which I'm lucky). I'm also currently having tinnitus which is not so noticeable during days but more noticeable at nights when I'm alone in my room. Did you recover in 2 years or 3 years ?

23rd of January 2020 - Started taking Lexapro at 5mg daily.

29th of January 2020 - Upped to 10mg of Lexapro daily.

9th of April 2020 - Reduced to 5mg of Lexapro daily.

23rd of April 2020 - Stopped Lexapro at 5mg daily.

Withdrawal since ~

Hello, @christianjw12!

Thank you! I would say that it took me two years to return to «normal». I still have tinnitus as well, but as I mentioned, it is so insignificant, that I only notice it

sometimes. How are you doing now? Have you had any improvements so far? 

Escitalopram: 03.12.18- 08.02.19 (5-7,5mg)

@Violets Thank you for returning to write a success story.  I read your thread and you were so sure that you'd never recover; I'm glad to see that you were wrong and that there's hope even when we don't think it will happen for us.

2013 - Jan 4, 2021 - Sertraline 50mg 

Jan 2021 - Venlafaxine 75mg (1/4)

Feb 2021 Mar 2021 - Venlafaxine 75mg

April 2021 - Venlafaxine 75mg, Amitriptyline 2mg (4/20), Clonazepam 2mg

May 2021 - Venlafaxine 75mg (5/16 - 0mg), Amitriptyline (5/1 - 1mg, 5/16 - 0mg), Clonazepam 2mg

Aug 2021 - Sertraline 25mg (re 8/20), Clonazepam 2mg 

Sep 2021 - Sertraline 50mg (up 9/3), Clonazepam (9/29 - 1mg), Diazepam (9/29 - 2.5mg)

Oct 2021 - Sertraline 50mg, Clonazepam (10/14 - 0.9mg, 10/24 - 1mg), Diazepam (10/6 - 1.25mg, 10/14 - 0mg), Trazodone (10/03 - 50mg, 10/17 - 25mg, 10/21 - 12.5mg), Mirtazapine (10/17 - 15mg)

Nov 2021 : Current - Sertraline 50mg, Clonazepam (4/22 - 0.975mg, 5/22 - 0.9125mg, co 6/22 - 0.25mg, co 8/22 - 0.5mg, co 1/23 - 0.25mg),

Diazepam (co 6/22 - 12mg, 7/22 - 11mg, co 8/22 - 5mg, 9/22 - 4mg, 10/22 - 3mg, 11/22 - 2mg, 12/22 - 1mg, co 1/23 - 5mg, 2/23 - 4.5mg, 3/23 - 3.5mg, 4/23 - 3mg), Trazodone 12.5mg, Mirtazapine 15mg

Supplements: 1/2 Multivitamin, Fish Oil 2000mgProbioticMagnesium Chelate 280mg, Vit C 500mg. Melatonin 5mg/3mgXR

22 hours ago, Violets said:

Hello, @christianjw12!

Thank you! I would say that it took me two years to return to «normal». I still have tinnitus as well, but as I mentioned, it is so insignificant, that I only notice it

sometimes. How are you doing now? Have you had any improvements so far? 

Hi again @Violets, I'm not too bad, I'm at 23 months off (next month will be the 2 year mark).

At the moment, I'm experiencing :

- muscle aches near my left shoulder (I'm not sure if it's related to withdrawal but the pain comes and goes and it's not too intense so it's not so disabling).

- tinnitus (it started one month ago and I find no explanation for this except withdrawal, it's not too intense, and it comes and goes as well). But when it's here, it stays for weeks.

- internal tremors when I wake up in the morning, I feel a very very minor movement inside my head.

- zaps (brain and around my neck, feeling of electricity)

23rd of January 2020 - Started taking Lexapro at 5mg daily.

29th of January 2020 - Upped to 10mg of Lexapro daily.

9th of April 2020 - Reduced to 5mg of Lexapro daily.

23rd of April 2020 - Stopped Lexapro at 5mg daily.

Withdrawal since ~

I am glad that you are seeing improvements,@christianjw12! Some symptoms do take longer time to resolve than others, but I'm sure you'll get there eventually :)

Hi @Violets , I’m so glad you’re feeling almost back to normal. I was wondering when the derealisation and visual disturbances cleared up for you, or improved to feel manageable? 
x

Sept 2021 - CT sertraline 25mg. told it was a 'placebo dose', knew nothing about the dangers or mechanism of these drugs

Nov 2021 - Jan 2022 - failed reinstatement attempt which exacerbated symptoms as it gave me severe serotonin syndrome, unrecognised by doctors who told me to double my dose (!!!!). this was a very awful period, was still trying to work and go to uni, eventually had to quit everything & move back in with family. horrific 'altered reality' symptoms of dissociation, hallucinations, insomnia, chemical dread, racing heart, agitation, nausea, burning & more 

Jan 14th 2022 - 0mg SSRI

Currently, 2023: in recovery from drug-induced neurological dysfunction/PAWS. only meds- 10mg amitriptyline at night.

Congratulations! Hope to be there some day. In hell at the moment. You did not take any vitamins/minerals/supplements during withdrawal?

Zoloft, November 2019.  I worked up to 50 mg and stayed there until 1 year later. I tapered for 3 months, which should consider to be cold turkey.
Tapering schedule:
Month 1: 37.5 mg

Month 2: 25 mg

Month 3: 12.5 mg

Month 4(Half the month): 6.75 mg
Month 4(Other half): 0 mg December 9, 2020

@eileen1111 Thank you! I would say that most physical symptoms improved within the first year for me, as well as the DP/DR, which gradually went away together with anhedonia. 

Thanks, @curiousnootropics! I'm sorry to hear that things are bad for you at the moment, hopefully things will improve for you soon as well. I did not really stick to any specific supplement-regimen, I only took some omega-3 and basic multivitamins sporadically. 

• Mentor

Congratulations @Violets  2-3 years of WD for 2-3 months on the SSRI must be incredibly frustrating. It shows how quickly these drugs alter the brain and how long it takes for everything to grow back and reset inside our heads, but it happens. Congratulations on your patience and positivity and recovery success. 

50 mg Sertraline Nov 2016 to Dec 2016

100 mg Sertraline Jan - March 2017

50 mg Sertraline April - June 2017

25 mg Sertraline July 2017 - Sept 2018

12.5 mg Sertraline Oct 2018

0 mg Nov 1 2018

Amazing story, sounds like my own…I only took SSRI for 4 months and now 14 months of I still have severe PSSD. Shrunk penis, legs hurts, numb genitals and so on. Great to hear that you healed, it gives me strength to carry on!

2018 Isotretoin 80mg

2019 Tetracycline 500mg

2020 Sertraline 50mg (okt 2020 - Jan 2021)

I'm sorry to hear that, @Avicii, it can be hard to deal with all of those horrible symptoms. I hope you will improve with time, it's still not too late or impossible. :)  

Really inspiring story! I suffer from almost the same symptoms you mentioned and it gives me a lot of hope that I will eventually recover from them.

Just one question - at what percent would you consider your PSSD recovery in comparison to pre-SSRI levels as you still say there is some decrease in libido?

Venlafaxine 75mg, 150mg, 225mg December 2020 - March 2021

Sertraline 50mg, 100mg March 2021 - April 2021

Escitalopram 10mg, 20 mg April 2021 - May 2021

Tears filled my eyes reading this as seeing this gives me continued hope! I don't know whether I'm suffering from the same thing or if this horrible drug Paroxetine has ruined my immune system. I feel like I'm having an immune response to this drug from quitting cold turkey! I've since got back on it & some of the symptoms have gone away but I my hair is not growing, and my scars aren't healing like they have in the best despite using creams, etc. When I got back on the drug I noticed visual changes and still notice them like I can see but vision is a little off I can't explain it. Thanks for sharing your recovery. This gives me hope. :) 

2010–2022 paroxetine dosage has fluctuated between 40mg highest to 20mg lowest. Currently on 20mg once daily.

I stopped taking drug in Sep, 2020 to beginning of April 2021 & had to get back on within the same month.

No other drugs/medications being taken at this time.   

Prior drugs were Prozac for about a month while trying to come off of Paroxetine which didn't work. I don't remember exact date maybe 2019. 

"Stay hopeful, better days are coming".

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I am 13 months off of a cold turkey Lexapro withdrawal and have experienced every one of your symptoms to an extreme degree. Even though I feel like I turned a corner at the 1 year mark, it still gets dark from time to time and it helps to see this. Thank you! ❤️

2017:

Jan-Mar: Lexapro 20 mg. Wellbutrin XR (2 days) Lamotrigine 150 mg. CT all due to sexual side effects. 
2020-2021:

Lexapro 20 mg, Jan of 2020 until CT in Apr of 2021. 

June: Buspirone 10 mg. Wellbutrin XL (4 days) 

July: Lamotrigine 25-100 mg. Buspirone 10 mg. 
August: Lamotrigine 100 mg. 6 treatments of IM Ketamine, 25-40 ml. 
September-Current: Lamotrigine 50 mg. 

On 4/21/2022 at 9:22 PM, WithdrawalWarrior said:

Thank you so much for sharing your story! I am 13 months off of a cold turkey Lexapro withdrawal and have experienced every one of your symptoms to an extreme degree. Even though I feel like I turned a corner at the 1 year mark, it still gets dark from time to time and it helps to see this. Thank you! ❤️

Tears filled my eyes reading this as seeing this gives me continued hope! I don't know whether I'm suffering from the same thing or if this horrible drug Paroxetine has ruined my immune system. I feel like I'm having an immune response to this drug from quitting cold turkey! I've since got back on it & some of the symptoms have gone away but I my hair is not growing, and my scars aren't healing like they have in the best despite using creams, etc. When I got back on the drug I noticed visual changes and still notice them like I can see but vision is a little off I can't explain it. Thanks for sharing your recovery. This gives me hope. :) 

Really? Everyone of them? I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with these symptoms. I just hope that I'm able to make a full recovery and get off the drugs completely. I just want to be healthy again. 

2010–2022 paroxetine dosage has fluctuated between 40mg highest to 20mg lowest. Currently on 20mg once daily.

I stopped taking drug in Sep, 2020 to beginning of April 2021 & had to get back on within the same month.

Prior drugs were Prozac for about a month while trying to come off of Paroxetine which didn't work. I don't remember exact date maybe 2019. 

Really? Everyone of them? I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with these symptoms. I just hope that I'm able to make a full recovery and get off the drugs completely. I just want to be healthy again. 

• 10 months later...
On 3/22/2022 at 9:36 PM, Violets said:

Violets Escitalopram Lexapro Cipralex Protracted Withdrawal

Hello everyone,

I have been thinking of posting a success story for a while, and after some questions in my private messages, I have decided to return here to give some hope to the ones that are suffering with PSSD. 

Here is an excerpt from my original post about my experience back in 2019: 

"I started on 2,5mg escitalopram in december 2018 for GAD and severe depression by my GP. I gradually increased the dose up to 7,5mg and was on this dose for a couple of weeks (until january 7th) I then decided to taper down again, as the drug made me careless, emotionally numb, impaired my cognition and significantly decreased my libido. So I stopped it after 2 months (last 2,5mg pill taken 8th of february).

Since stopping I suffered two weeks of acute physical withdrawal (flu-like symptoms, nausea, dizziness etc) but I thought that it would be over and I would go back to «normal», but now it is clear to me that I also suffer from protracted withdrawal and the symptoms are scary and debilitating. I suffer from parasthesia, brain zaps, tinnitus, severe derealization, emotional numbness and extreme apathy to a point where I can’t force myself to get up and eat. I feel completely braindead and my cognition is ruined, the past month has gone by in a haze and I can’t remember or recollect much of it. This is extremely terrifying and almost worse than the original depression. I feel dead, even though I’m alive."

I am happy to share that since then, I have pretty much recovered. From the very long list of symptoms that I suffered (anhedonia, complete apathy/avolition, complete emotional numbness (NO emotions at all), no feelings of hunger, no libido, full genital and nipple anesthesia, severe cognitive disfunction, muscle aches/wastage, changed hair structure, dry skin, no sweating, tinnitus, visual disturbances (some visual snow/unclear vision/focus), gum health issues, high pulse/breathing issues leading up to a week long hospital stay), I now only have one or two of those symptoms left, which are pretty minor anyways. That is some decrease in libido, as well as permanent tinnitus (barely noticeable), which are pretty insignificant at a greater scale of things.

It took me about three months after cessation to start experience tiny improvements and it took me almost a year to start feeling somewhat like myself emotionally. The first thing to improve was my cognition, which started improving after about 3 months, then the anhedonia started to lift around the 6 month-mark, together with some of the physical symptoms. The emotional and the sexual dysfunctions were the last to go and improved majorly at the 1-1,5 year mark. I must note that I haven't taken any medications or specific supplements (other than some B-vitamins and Omega 3) ever since my horror experience with Lexapro and I am not planning on doing so either. Therefore, I do consider my "recovery" natural. 

Anyways, now, after three years, I think it is safe to say that I am fully recovered and I am mostly back to my "old" self. I have since graduated at my university, gotten to experience amazing new things and places and also managed to find a loving partner. Even though life still gets hard at times (like it does for the most of us), and I still have days where the depression rears its ugly head, I now have found ways to deal with it, knowing it's only temporary. I also feel like this entire PSSD-experience has made me a lot more resilient and I want people in a similar situation to know, that there is definitely hope, no matter how many symptoms they experience and how hopeless it might feel at the moment.  

Best,
Violets 

Wow I had a very similar story on Lexapro 

Use to take Xanax half .25 for stress And anxiety as needed 

In 2020 started  Lexapro  .10 mg for 3 days.  Hospital gave me Attivan .50 mg 

Then relapsed they gave me Zoloft .50mg for one day passed out  3 days later given Celexa  had crazy side effects back to hospital put me on Mertazipine 

When would you say your sleep got better ? I’m sleeping 1-3 hours a night and never feel tired. I also have no thirst or hunger signals and I’m hoping those get better soon as well. This is all so scary 

• 7 months later...

@Violets Can I ask like what the hell did you do in the first few months to get through this? Like how did you explain this to those around you. How did you work, maintain your living space, pay for bills etc....nobody in my family understands they just think I'm depressed....

April, '23 Went to the doctor for panic attacks and depression episode
April, '23 - .25mg Klonopin 3 1/2 weeks (tapered over 5 days)
May, '23 - 150mg XL Wellbutrin for 11 days (Lifted depression but caused extreme anxiety and dissociation - CT'd) Doing okay at this point
May, '23 took some CBD and caused DPDR/anxiety. Went to psych who put me back on: 

June, '23 - .25mg Klonopin for roughly 2 weeks (tapered over the next 3-4 weeks and jumped at .065mg on July 24th)

August, '23 - .25mg Zyprexa, 10mg Buspar, 7.5 mg Remron

September, '23 - Off Zyprexa, Buspar, Remron

September, '23 - Started 2.5 mg Lexapro for 3 days - Direct switched to 12.5mg Zoloft. Unable to Tolerate either. Discontinued.

September, '23 - Gabapentin 400mg for 2 days then Remron 7.5mg for 1 week. 

OFF ALL MEDS Since about September 23rd
Current symptoms - DPDR - Extreme anxiety/mood swings/depression/weakness/fatigue/static vision/tinnitus/cognitive impairment/eye pain, electric sensations in head