Jasminecat: trying to quit Prozac after 15 years

Jasminecat

You are very welcome. And thank you. And also know that it is okay if you need to and are able to get away from the kids a moment. Trying to parent young kids while you’re recovering is definitely tough. I was at a point where I couldn’t even feel anything for my kids and it scared me, because I thought I couldn’t love them anymore, but that darkness has passed. You’ve got this! 

2012 Xanax took 3 times

2015 Klonopin took for 7 days and stopped

2019 Lexapro 10 mg for 2 weeks stopped due to pregnancy

2020 Citalopram 20 mg started August

2021 Citalopram started 6 week taper on March 4 down 10 mg for two weeks, then 5 mg for two weeks, 2.5 one week, .5 every other day, took last dose April 9.

• Administrator
On 11/3/2022 at 3:46 PM, Jasminecat said:

1. Does not getting 8 hours of sleep a night worsen withdrawl symptoms?

2. When you feel like you are in a wave, IF you are able to go to sleep in the middle of the day, should you? Will that lessen the symptoms? Like sleeping it off in a way?

3. After seven months off prozac, should I be feeling better? Milder waves and more windows?

You'll probably feel better if you get more sleep rather than less. If you feel like taking a nap, you can take one. You can strengthen your sleep with these tips:

What is the sleep cycle?

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

White noise devices for sleep

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 3 months?

Irritability can be a withdrawal effect, or you might be feeling overwhelmed from disorientation, or you might want to cut down noise, etc. because of sensory hypersensitivity. You are permitted to take care of yourself.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you again so much everyone for all the support and helpful advice!! This site is a life saver literally. Without it, I don't know where I would be...

I have been going to bed unusually early for me the past two nights and I noticed my anxiety has lessened the past two days. The past two days were counted as windows on my daily calendar I keep. To say it wasn't a mild wave even is huge. I will keep going to bed early if it means the next day I do not feel sick to my stomach with nerves and anxiety. However, my personality and temperament has changed for the worse. Family notices something is wrong and they don't get it. They don't understand withdrawl and don't want to. My kids know nothing except that mommy has a very hard time being around them lately.

That is what is so terrible for me. The little times I see them, at night and on weekends I find myself running away as much as possible. I leave the house as much as I can. I cant deal with the stimulation and stress and noise from young kids.

I also have a hard time with adults. I over analyze everything and am very sensitive, Things that never would have bothered me, now bother me. This is why I say my personality changed, It got darker. Moodier, sadder. Even IF I feel physically okay, I feel there is emotional or mental withdrawl. I sometimes wonder if this is permanent, IS this who I am or is this because I am not on Happy Pills anymore. When I took Prozac, I remember times I would just start laughing out loud for no reason, I felt a range of emotions, Sometimes very happy and sometimes not. I also used to nap every day when I was on prozac. I was so tired from it. Now I don't nap at all. 

I just wonder how long I will be on this downward mental spiral. There are things in my life which I need to fix which make me unhappy. But I know my personality is different from these pills. My family wonders if it's permanent damage as they call it. I am scared I will never have myself back. Also too my relationships are affected. It is impossible to hide it when you live with other people. And parents who have known me my whole life. They can see something is wrong, but they don't get withdrawl. They think you stop pills and bam you are done. You are fine. But we all know better. Its not so simple.

I never ever thought what it would be like to quit prozac. No one advised me and my doctor told me its safe and to keep taking it. For years and years he had me on it. I myself made the choice to get off it, not him. I always had unwelcome side effects from the pills. Weight gain, rashes that would leave scars, insomnia, headaches, etc. I have none of those issues now that I am off them. But this man, this quack of a doctor who never ever once gave me one mental evaluation to see if i was even depressed kept me on these pills. Needless to say I am not going back to him or his practice ever again. He was not the original prescriber but a regular md who was able to keep refilling my pills for me. 15 years not counting pregnancies. I regret letting it go that long, I didnt think clearly on those pills. Sorry for rambling on and on. Wishing everyone happier days ahead!!!!!!!!

PS: If anyone has severe anxiety, my new treatment for me which helps is boil water in a cup in the microwave and let the steam just blow on my face. I also put my hands in there when I can, It calms me down. Use a towel and put the hot water on your face. Lay down and close your eyes. There is something comforting from the heat. I also recommend chamomille hot tea. And Decaffinated coffee. I cant handle the caffiene jolts anymore.

Prozac 60mg Began: June 2007-July 2021

40mg - 1 week in July 2021

20mg- 1 week in July 2021

July 2021 ended Prozac

February 8th 2022-April 4th 2022 - 20mg Prozac

Ended Prozac April 4th 2022

• Administrator

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi @Jasminecat

I had episodes (not long) during withdrawal where everything would get on my nerves - and I mean everything, the sound of the TV, the walk of someone, the feel of a certain fabric - it would just annoy the hell out of me. I used to call myself a hedgehog during those times. I made sure to tell those around me that it wasn't them and that I was unusually irritable due to WD, which was unlike me. And I would also try to be away from annoying stimuli as  much as possible. Luckily, this has gone away and comes on rarely now and in a much milder form. 

I have found myself a bit darker -  less generous and giving, less patient with BS - but I think of that as a positive thing because before I used to go out of my way to make others happy without necessarily taking care of myself. I call that creating good boundaries. It may bother those people who were used to get things from me without often giving something back or doing their share for the relationship. I am not sorry to see them go. Withdrawal helped me stand up for myself in a few relationships that were not good for me - or toxic as you might call them. 

Just the way that your body is adapting to not having the drug and finding a new balance so your feelings and behavior will regain a new balance. That is OK. Don't be quick to judge yourself negatively. If you were more exclusively taking care of the kids and someone else has to step in now, they may resent it but let them pull their weight. Could you have help where you get someone to take the kids to the playground so they exhaust their loud energy and you could enjoy more quiet activities with them like reading them stories. If the kids fight a lot, this may be an opportunity for you and your partner to teach them different, more cooperative ways of playing. Fighting is not abnormal but not all kids fight a lot.  

I wonder if instead of blaming yourself for all these difficulties, you asked for help and expected that others will offer it. Sometimes if you have been strong your whole life the people around you expect that from you and may easily accept being taken care of. Maybe it is time for them to step up and take care of you now. Lots of women go on ADs and ADHD meds just to cope with what society expects of them and the guilt that is piled on them for failing to meet these unfair and impossible standards. Take this moment to expect that others step up as well!

OMW

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Hi Altostrata,

I think it's the latter. I am hyper sensitive and hyper reactive to things and people. This is why I find it easier to be alone. I have bad agitation and nerves when I'm around my kids. I was having three window days in a row until today. But the waves have gotten milder, or maybe I just know what it is now. But I am getting to bed early every night and taking my magnesium pills in the morning. The funny thing is this week I had window days right before my period. Last month, it was a horrible wave for an entire week of my period. This time, it was windows and today mild wave with the first day of my period. I hope this means I am slowly getting better and I know my body is reacting positively to more sleep.

July 2021 ended Prozac

Hi Onmyway,

I want to thank you so much for your honest and insightful post. I can relate to a lot of what you said. I struggled with being a stay at home mom, the prozac probably just helped keep me calmer and happier at times. Feels like the rug is pulled out from under you when you go off the stuff. Oddly, when my kids were babies and toddlers and preschoolers, I was able to be around them most of the day and night. Now I find it extremely challenging to be with them for a few hours. How does someone explain that to me?? Its like I was able to function with more work and responsibility than I have now and I can't handle what I have in front of me. This is how I know its the withdrawl and the pills, not me personally. Although the thought has crossed my mind, maybe this is who I am. Maybe I dont have much patience or tolerance for kids. I don't know bc I never had kids prior to taking these drugs. So I don't know. I hope this goes away because they notice I am not in a good mood when Im around them. I am very short fused, yelling a lot at them and anything they do or say can set me off. I wish I could tell them what I am going through but they are too young. They just know I am different as a mom than I used to be. And this makes me very sad. It is an innate thing which I cant control. I pray it gets better and eventually goes away. Sometimes I feel like a crazy person. You asked if I could do some quiet activities with them which I do. I play video games and color with them. I am a low energy person so I am not one to run around outside and do sports with them. I will read books to them. But it feels like under the surface I am a ball of nerves. Something could happen and I lose it. Oddly, I feel calmer being around other adults. But best when alone. I do believe I have it easier than some women out there. I won't get into on here but I am not one of those do it all women. I never have tried to be. I can't thank you enough for your support and helpful insight. I love this website and everyone is so kind, so knowledgeable. I know time heals everything and its been seven months since my 20mgs for two months. Its been a year and a half since I was on my full dose of 60mg. I can only hope and pray whatever damage has been done is not permanent.

I wish you and everyone on here nothing but the best, Good Health and a Peaceful Mind, Because window days are a gift you never want to end.

July 2021 ended Prozac

• Administrator

Many women find their withdrawal symptoms get worse at times in their cycle.

Yes, it does sound like you are gradually recovering, in the typical Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Hi guys,

Quick Question: i was reading some of the success stories on here, and I read one on prozac. The person said they were never the same person after taking this drug even though they stopped having withdrawl.

My question is once withdrawl is over, wouldn't you go back to the way you were? Minus any major life changes, because obviously time changes a lot.

But as far as mental, and physical wouldn't you feel the same as before?

Do these drugs permanently damage our brains and bodies?

I still wake up most days and have some form of a mild wave. I also feel anxious and nervous a lot. I over analyze everything in conversations. I feel I made progress since October and September. No horrible wave days yet this month although I dont want to jinx it.

But am I permanently changed or damaged?

Will I be someone who is constantly anxious and overly emotional?

July 2021 ended Prozac

2 hours ago, Jasminecat said:

Hi guys,

Quick Question: i was reading some of the success stories on here, and I read one on prozac. The person said they were never the same person after taking this drug even though they stopped having withdrawl.

My question is once withdrawl is over, wouldn't you go back to the way you were? Minus any major life changes, because obviously time changes a lot.

But as far as mental, and physical wouldn't you feel the same as before?

Do these drugs permanently damage our brains and bodies?

I still wake up most days and have some form of a mild wave. I also feel anxious and nervous a lot. I over analyze everything in conversations. I feel I made progress since October and September. No horrible wave days yet this month although I dont want to jinx it.

But am I permanently changed or damaged?

Will I be someone who is constantly anxious and overly emotional?

Hi, I read many of your posts. No one really fully understands what these drugs do, especially on an individual level. I am 17 months off Prozac and had and awful October and the last three days and today were like  bad days I had over a year ago. Overtime it gets better, I have been having good days(just not today), it has something to do with the central nervous system allowing the brain to heal and vice versus. I feel like they play a sort of 'tag you're it' in the healing process. My hormones went through changes too, like I had gotten a lot of acne for several months and i felt like i was going through puberty again, but that is going away now too. Protracted Withdrawl comes and goes but gets better each month. You will heal, it just can't be rushed. 

2011 bupropion 

2011-2013 Ritalin then mostly adderall 

March 2017 - August 2017 sertraline 50mg

September 2017 - January 2019 Duloxetine 20mg

February 2020 - July 2020 Lexapro 10mg

August 2020 - mid September 2020 paroxetine 

mid September 2020 - mid May 2021 10mg fluoxetine 

Mid May - June 1st 10mg fluoxetine every other day

June 1st cold turkey

Thank you so much CasuallyMagical for your post!! It is nice to hear what others who were on Prozac are experiencing, I hope you continue to feel better each month. It's a long time for us and hard to believe we are still experiencing some kind of withdrawl. It is super annoying to have some window days and then mild wave days. Never know how I will feel each day. I know I am more emotional and sensitive than I ever was before. I over analyze things and feel the need to discuss every negative thought in my head. It gets tiring after awhile. I wish I could be "normal". I also can't handle much stress or stimulation. After awhile though, what it feels like is you can't handle life and thats not good. The only positive thing I can note is this month I noticed less severe waves. October was awful. 6 days of bad waves. I felt like I was sick, like I was having a manic episode all day long. This month there has been windows, many of them mixed with mild wave days. The mild waves usually go away by evening. But I can certainly tell the difference from a wave vs window day. I hope we keep healing and get stronger with time. I like to think I am getting better but there are things which I don't know if it's withdrawl or my personality. Wishing you and everyone on here luck on their journey forward.

July 2021 ended Prozac

Hi everyone, I googled the symptoms of depression and I was going down the list. On days when I have waves especially, I find every single symptom fits me. I don’t know if I have depression and anxiety FROM withdrawal or am

i depressed? How do you know the difference? On window days it’s better and less obvious. I feel more normal. But wave days feel like depression to me. Anyone have this as well?

July 2021 ended Prozac

• Mentor

Dear @Jasminecat

Nice to meet you. 
How amazing job you have done to quit Prozac. I just want to congratulate you on this, I envy you. 
Me myself have tried to quit this without success, and you should be so proud.
On depression I just want to say a few words. Everyone suffers from occasional depression in life. I don’t want to minimise your experience at all, that’s not my meaning. On the other hand I do want to address that  it is a normal feeling everyone experience once in a while.

Why is society trying so hard to depress normal feelings?

I have a cousin that just started 40 mg of fluoxetine. She feels over the moon. Everything is a total bliss for her. I have mentioned to her that this is not a normal feeling but the drug talking. She won’t listen and that’s ok. So I ask you, what do you prefer, having emotions that take effort to live with or popping a pill that makes you less than human?

You are here for a reason, you are doing so well, keep fighting for your own well being. You deserve it and you can💪
My best wishes to you 🙏

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg 1.8 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

Hi Hanna,

Thank you so much for your post! I appreciate all your support and kind words!!! I will read your post when I feel badly or need some boost of self confidence. I know I am technically off these pills, but I feel like they have done something permanent to me.

I would warn your cousin whatever she is feeling is only temporary and will lessen over time. Then just to feel " normal" she will need to keep taking these meds.

I would rather live with regular human emotions instead of being a zombie to answer your question. I totally agree with you. I have been on these pills so long I do not know there difference between normal feelings of depression and withdrawl. Its very confusing. I with you luck on your journey and hopefully one day you will stop taking the pills as well. This site is wonderful for support and advice. I truly loved what you wrote and I will read it often. It will keep me going!! Thank you so much my friend and wishing you peace and love!!!

July 2021 ended Prozac

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2022 at 4:53 PM, Jasminecat said:

Hi everyone, I googled the symptoms of depression and I was going down the list. On days when I have waves especially, I find every single symptom fits me. I don’t know if I have depression and anxiety FROM withdrawal or am

i depressed? How do you know the difference? On window days it’s better and less obvious. I feel more normal. But wave days feel like depression to me. Anyone have this as well?

Googling info from ".com's" is dangerous since they all have bosses and agendas... It honestly could be both, but these drugs made me depressed, way way more then i ever was before them. I get some light narcolepsy some days. Avoid caffiene! (and too much chocolate has some caffiene too) As these will trigger some undesirable feelings. I have just found that echinacea tea or candy will take the edge off of anxiety. You have propbably heard that magnesium's, fish oil, theanine, and vitamin D may help too. I listen to ASMR on youtube to take my mind off of the bad stuff. Long walks, hot showers, and calling a friend all help dissolve those feelings. 

2011 bupropion 

June 1st cold turkey

Thank you so much CasuallyMagic for the advice and tips!! I will be careful what I google on the web. Lots of sites say different stuff too. Thanks for the heads up!!!

July 2021 ended Prozac

On 11/29/2022 at 4:44 AM, CasuallyMagical said:

Googling info from ".com's" is dangerous since they all have bosses and agendas... It honestly could be both, but these drugs made me depressed, way way more then i ever was before them. I get some light narcolepsy some days. Avoid caffiene! (and too much chocolate has some caffiene too) As these will trigger some undesirable feelings. I have just found that echinacea tea or candy will take the edge off of anxiety. You have propbably heard that magnesium's, fish oil, theanine, and vitamin D may help too. I listen to ASMR on youtube to take my mind off of the bad stuff. Long walks, hot showers, and calling a friend all help dissolve those feelings. 

@CasuallyMagical

Vitamin D is a neurohormone and can activate people in withdrawal (jittery/on edge feeling)so should be taken with caution if at all and only if necessary. Ideally in the morning as it can interfere with sleep. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

• 3 weeks later...

@Jasminecat hi I can so relate to your symptoms. I mainly have anxiety and crappy mood as well. I truly applaud your sticking with your kids. I understand the short tempers, the need to be alone or just no stimulation. I was never like this prior to meds. It’s def a healing journey not to be forgotten, although an ending would be sweet for us all. It sometimes bothers me I don’t get many physical symptoms because it made me think this is me without meds. By reading your post I know I’m not. Thank you 

1993 started 20mg Prozac.

2008 switched to 10mg of lexapro.

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

Hi Mezzer!

Thank you so much for writing to me and letting me know your story. I can relate to a lot of the symptoms you have been experiencing. I too had much more mental symptoms than physical ones. I too was never like this prior to medication. It does get better, much better!!! Read Below:

Hello Everyone!!! I wanted to come back on this site even though I have not posted since November to give everyone here an update. I want to give anyone reading this hope for the New Year and New You. I am so hesitant to write this because I am scared I will jinx it all but here goes. First off, I am now almost 9 months off any prozac. September and especially October were brutal. October I had terrible wave days where I felt like I was mentally ill. As well as physically. I started to track my wave and window days. November was better with no bad waves only mild wave days. More windows.

December was all windows. I stopped tracking it by the end of the month. Also, each morning as long as I go to bed at a reasonable time, I feel fine when I wake up. No more morning anxiety, cortisol sick feelings. I am still taking my magnesium vitamin as soon as I awake to calm down as well. But I kid you not, the difference is night and day.

I will not say I am totally healed. Mentally I am still hypersensitive to stress, noise. I am getting better with not over analyzing people's words or actions. I am slowly feeling my mind getting stronger where I can push thoughts away or to the back of my mind. Talking it out helps a great deal as well. But I am not as sick as I was with that like in October or September. I still am emotional and moody at times but this is normal for me anyway.

My hope is for all my buddies on here who have been following my story from the beginning, I want to help you see healing is possible. I can feel and see the difference in progress. I used to stress about waking up each day not knowing how I would feel. No more of that. I also dont get any upset stomach aches like I used to each and every morning in the fall. I thought it was the magnesium but it wasn't. It was withdrawl. Once the waves stopped so did the upset tummy in the morning.

My advice is to be kind and patient with yourselves. These medications are causing a type of brain injury and withdrawl is your body healing. It's not pleasant and there were terrible days where I felt like I wanted to die. I kept going, putting one foot in front of the other and using this site as a support system. My only support system. People who never took these pills don't know anything about getting off them or what it feels like. I had people suggest I go back on the meds. I didn't, I refused to take one step back.

Each month, got a little easier until as I read on here, you enter a window and it feels like you never leave it. I'm not saying I am not going through ****, or I am a perfectly happy person. I am human and have my moods and emotions like anyone else. But I know what withdrawl feels like and I no longer have it. I feel like my brain got mentally stronger as the months went on and maybe the serotonin levels reworked themselves. I do not know. But I am no longer thinking of waves and windows. I feel good each morning. Even IF i have some alcohol, I may get some mild anxiety the next day but it goes away. The point is, if I can feel this different after going through hell and back so can YOU!!!! Do not ever ever give up!!!! The hardest months were right before it started getting better!!!!!!! Hold on and keep going, you have come this far. As time passes it gets easier and easier. I didn't think I would ever feel normal in the mornings ever again but I do. Thank you so much to this site and the founder "A". I know who you are, I read an article with an interview you gave on your story. I am truly grateful to you, this site has helped me kick that poison once and for all. I only wish I had done it sooner.

Wishing you all a Happy 2023 and Keep Going!!!! Xoxo You will be okay!

July 2021 ended Prozac

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

So just as I feared, writing it jinxed it. I have been having mild waves again of anxiety in the morning and sometimes it carries over into the day. I was having a great December and then the holiday break hit. Ever since then I haven’t felt right. What in hell is going on? Is the window just longer lasting this time? I thought it was over but it’s not. I believe this will be an ongoing thing in my life. People close to me notice something is off. They think I need medication. 
I can’t stand feeling anxious and mentally unstable. And around kids it’s impossible to deal with. Can someone please write me and explain why after a month long window would I be back again in a wave? 

July 2021 ended Prozac

Hi @Jasminecat,

Sorry you’re having a hard time. Are you just having anxiety or are there other symptoms along with it? 

2012 Xanax took 3 times

2021 Citalopram started 6 week taper on March 4 down 10 mg for two weeks, then 5 mg for two weeks, 2.5 one week, .5 every other day, took last dose April 9.

Hi Jas, sorry to hear of the wave. Hopefully it’s the part of the story where the windows get longer and the waves get shorter. Hang on a windows coming . There’s a website support group called “inner compass initiative” and inside there’s the “inner compass exchange” it’s all part of the “withdrawal project” lots of peer support and info like here. Can’t have to much support 

2015 added 50mg of Wellbutrin. Between 2015 and 2020 raised and lowered dosage of both. 2021 moved to Zoloft for one month then back to lexapro for one month. Then switched to 60mg cymbalta for four months. Then Basically cold turkeyed off cymbalta in two weeks using Prozac as a crossover med to reduce withdrawals. Not good. Then had Nortriptylene added to Prozac. Was on 20mg Prozac and 50mg of Nortriptylene for four months. Then did a four month ween off Nortriptylene. To date have been off cymbalta for approximately 11 months and Nortriptylene 7 weeks.  Presently taking 12.5 mg Prozac. Also taking 10 mg of bystolic for BLood Pressure. I’m not sure how the Prozac makes me feel. It does nothing to make me feel not sad and anxious at times. I finally figured out the meds are not what I need. What I need is to get off the 12.5mg of Prozac and continue to work on my stuff. Any help is deeply appreciated thank you. Reduced from 12.5 to 10 then from 10 to 7.5. Too much of a drop. Bought a scale and went to 9. Stabilized and went to 8.2 oct 1, 2022. Just got hit with wicked low mood, high anxiety, fatigue, chills. The anxiety is high in the AM and  lessons throughout the day. Hoping to stabilize soon 

Thanks guys for the other peer support website!

I have anxiety and just a feeling of being unable to cope. Of just wanting to be left all alone and not be around people. Not do anything, just be. I can always tell a wave, because it makes me feel so uncomfortable that you want those pills in your body. To stabilize how you feel, that is how I would describe it. I am so hypersensitive to things.  Where I used to be able to function and cope, now its not so easy. Windows I do not feel it, I feel perfectly balanced. A wave is unbalanced. I hope it goes away soon. To think a month with a window, I thought it was "over". How upsetting to see it is not. I may have this for years, I dont know. It has gotten "better" over the months. That is still true. Hope you all are doing okay and feeling good. April will be a year since I took any Prozac. I keep focusing on that and hope that healing keeps continuing. There has to be a point where enough is enough, where the mind is fully fixed from these drugs. I cant believe that it's permanently damaged.

July 2021 ended Prozac

@Jasminecat I understand those feelings of anxiety and dread. Definitely felt that way myself for months. April will be two years since my last dose of Citalopram, and I’ve never had a full month of a window, a week maybe. I’ve maybe gone a week without brain zaps. I look forward to the day when I can sau I haven’t had them in a month, or two, or none at all. So a full month of a window seems like a good indication that your brain is healing, just unfortunate that you’re back in a wave. For me, things got worse before they got better in the first year, it is definitely a roller coaster ride on this recovery journey. Sometimes seems like a nightmare. Keep looking forward to some better days, because they will come again. What do you do when you feel anxious or a wave? Have you tried any CBT for your anxiety? Or any therapy to help you cope through the waves? 

2012 Xanax took 3 times

Hi Storm,

Thank you for your post! I am so sorry you are going through this nightmare as well. I have not had any therapy and I don't want to go in for it. My anxiety/ waves are better this week. I have been sleeping a lot more so that has helped.

My question is I find myself to be very withdrawn, I like to be alone. I find it difficult and overstimulating to be near other people.. IS this withdrawl or just me?

I have not had any pills since last April. And then it was two months of 20mgs. It has been a year and half since the 60mgs.

Like I wrote earlier, the morning anxiety and side effects are much better. But I am not able to really engage with people. I was wondering is this withdrawl still?

July 2021 ended Prozac

Hi @Jasminecat

I understand. Glad your waves have been better this week and that you’re getting sleep. It seems to me that being withdrawn is a part of it, because I definitely had a hard time being around people or any kind of noise. I couldn’t interact with my kids. I didn’t even like talking to people on the phone…I would get irritated really easy and had a hard time following conversations. It seemed as if I couldn’t find words at times. My husband had to handle all of the important calls. But, it has gotten better and I can now hold conversations without feeling like my brain has short circuited mid sentence lol. 

Wishing you continued healing, peace, and happiness on your journey. 

2012 Xanax took 3 times

Hi guys, I just dropped 5% of Prozac from 7.8mgs to 7.4mgs. I did this on Monday. Yesterday and today my anxiety is very high. Is it possible to feel the drop this fast? I noticed this was a Prozac post so I’m hoping you have some experience with reducing. Thank you 

• Mentor

hey @Mezzer

Unfortunately yes it could be your drop that is causing the anxiety. If I were you I would keep this dose for some time, just to get you stabilized. Remember there is no rush. Your function should be a priority. Let things settle, and keep in mind there is no timeline for this. I also would like to congratulate you on being so low in dosage. One day at a time will do the trick, have some coping skills at hand to relief the anxiety. What ever works for you.

All the best to you

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg 1.8 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

Thank you Hanna, i just remembered I also took this homeopathic stuff called Metal Cord from my naturopath. It’s to help the body flush toxic metals from the body. The anxiety was ramped up the same day I took it which was This  past Sunday one day before my drop. I know supplements and tinctures can affect us differently in withdrawals. I was holding off for quite a while before taking it and I just remembered it started taking the drops Sunday morning. I didn’t proceed beyond Sunday after the anxiety kicked up. I’m thinking more along the lines now of the Metal Cord drops. Any thoughts? Hopefully I can recover relatively soon. Maybe I should go back to 7.8 as to not add anything else in the mix 

Hi Storm,

Thank you for your post! Sorry that you had to go through that. I'm glad that it has gotten better for you. My issue is now not that I have powerful withdrawl symptoms like I did a few months ago. I am pretty neutral when I wake in the mornings, no major anxiety or waves of dread.

The problem now is I just feel a mixture of depression and anxiety all the time. I am withdrawn and am not able to do much. What is this about? If anyone on here knows whats going on I would appreciate any help!

It feels like I need medication bc it feels like I have an illness. It may be the winter blues and loneliness/boredom. I work out and that hasnt made a difference in my moods. I am sad, angry, lonely, anxious, and not able to enjoy much.

I dont think this is temporary. It feels like this is who I am.

So where does one go from here?

July 2021 ended Prozac

Is there anyone on here who can contact me directly? 

July 2021 ended Prozac

I'm not sure what the rules are but if you're in a tough spot please remember to hydrate and go for a nice easy walk it will help. It gets better. if you're very tired then meditation will help your breathing/will calm your nerves as well. I like to listen to ASMR videos on youtube.

2011 bupropion 

June 1st cold turkey

@Jasminecat hi I have the very same issues at the moment. I’ve been tapering going on 18 months with a cold turkey thrown in the mix. I see you kind of cold turkeyed as well. This winter has def been gloomy. 

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

Thought I would write something in honor of the one year anniversary coming of no prozac. Ironically, I went to a new doctor recently and she prescribed me Zoloft which I never even picked up. These doctors are all the same. I also have spoken with people who tell me what they are taking for anxiety, similar SSRIs.

I am still experiencing bad anxiety. Not when I wake up anymore. I feel like the withdrawl of the mornings is done with. That hasnt happened since December. What I am feeling is constant nerves and anxiety. I feel it very difficult to be present and be in the moment when with others. It is horrible. I have been using weed or alcohol to relax when I really need it. But its a constant state of feeling uncomfortable and nervous.

Now I know my life has changed drastically in the time before I ever took prozac. However I never had constant anxiety daily like I do now then. Never.

What is this about??? IS it withdrawl still?? Am I permanently affected? Do I have to live like this for the rest of my life?? The doctor prescribed Zoloft bc I told her the bad side effects of Prozac. But its all the same in the end. I would never put that poison in my body. So if anyone knows the answer please share with me. I kept telling myself in time I would feel normal again. And a year ago, it was only two months of prozac at 20mg. I have not been on 60mg since summer 2021. But then the fast tapering made me so bad I went on a low dose for two months. I hate feeling every day not myself. My mind is sharper, clearer, I am more woke as I call it. But the anxiety is awful. How and when will this go away?

July 2021 ended Prozac

28 minutes ago, Jasminecat said:

Hello All,

Thought I would write something in honor of the one year anniversary coming of no prozac. Ironically, I went to a new doctor recently and she prescribed me Zoloft which I never even picked up. These doctors are all the same. I also have spoken with people who tell me what they are taking for anxiety, similar SSRIs.

I am still experiencing bad anxiety. Not when I wake up anymore. I feel like the withdrawl of the mornings is done with. That hasnt happened since December. What I am feeling is constant nerves and anxiety. I feel it very difficult to be present and be in the moment when with others. It is horrible. I have been using weed or alcohol to relax when I really need it. But its a constant state of feeling uncomfortable and nervous.

Now I know my life has changed drastically in the time before I ever took prozac. However I never had constant anxiety daily like I do now then. Never.

What is this about??? IS it withdrawl still?? Am I permanently affected? Do I have to live like this for the rest of my life?? The doctor prescribed Zoloft bc I told her the bad side effects of Prozac. But its all the same in the end. I would never put that poison in my body. So if anyone knows the answer please share with me. I kept telling myself in time I would feel normal again. And a year ago, it was only two months of prozac at 20mg. I have not been on 60mg since summer 2021. But then the fast tapering made me so bad I went on a low dose for two months. I hate feeling every day not myself. My mind is sharper, clearer, I am more woke as I call it. But the anxiety is awful. How and when will this go away?

Hi jas, I would say because we all came off quickly it’s all a crap shoot when things will resolve. I’m on 20 months now. It’s slow but progressing

@Jasminecat,

the alcohol and weed are making this much harder for you and likely prolonging your recovery. 

OMW