DaisySimba: recovery issues after stopping 12 years of being on antidepressant

DaisySimba

I officially stopped antidepressants in January 2022 after being on a multitude of them over the last 12 years. Some of the symptoms once officially stopping are:

-dizziness

-intrusive and obsessive thoughts- I can’t get bad images or thoughts out of my head 

-panic attacks

-suicidal thoughts

-shivering/chills even though it’s not cold 

-fatigue to the point I can’t keep my eyes open

Are these normal withdrawal symptoms and can I overcome them? I’ve been trying so hard to do everything possible to overcome my mental instabilities with therapy, mindfulness, journaling, exercise, etc, but nothing is giving me full relief.

After being off of antidepressants for two months and doing research, it says my brain should be back to normal. After reading that apong with the symptoms I was having I felt like I can’t handle living like that so I got on celexa a week in a half ago. After one week I had such bad side effects I’ve decided to quit again. I have had side effects from every antidepressant I’ve been on (Effexor, lexapro, Zoloft, Prozac, Celexa). Although I’m mentally better, I can’t handle the side effects. The doctor doesn’t think there’s probably an antidepressant that would work for me, and that I’ll have side effects no matter what I’m on. Ultimately I don’t want to be on them, but feeling hopeless of whether I can be due to the symptoms. Is my brain truly messed up?

Venlafaxine 2013-2019

escitalopram (10mg) 2019-Apr 2021

Sertraline Apr 2021-May 2021

escitalopram May 2021-Sept 2021 (had me try and increase from 10 to 20 but serotonin syndrome, so quickly went back down)

Flouxetine sept 2021-January 2022 (10 mg every day, beginning December 8mg every other day, 4mg every three days, then 2 mg every 3rd dat, then stop)

*This is the best I can do to remember. Always taking lowest dose available unless otherwise mentioned, so 10mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to DaisySimba: Recovery issues after stopping 12 years of being on antidepressant

@DaisySimba

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping members taper off antidepressants, or have tapered off and are healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First, can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Without knowing all the medications you have been on, it is hard to really advise you what may be going on. The only one you mention is that you have recently been on and off Celexa. How much were you taking?

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Brain Remodelling

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

You could try and reinstate Celexa at a very small amount. I would not try more than 1 mg, wait 7-10 days for it reach full dosage in your body and see if that helps. You could always increase a little if necessary.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Also you may want to try a little magnesium and omega and see if that might help. If you want to try this, try one in a small amount, wait a few days before trying the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After creating your signature and reading the above links, please reach out to us so we can help you decide what would be best for you.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Hi Frogie,

Thank you for responding. I decided to go back on Prozac 2mg/day to see if that will help and try for a much longer weaning process. I’ve tried fish oil, but not magnesium. I was using cbd oil while I was off as well. 

Venlafaxine 2013-2019

escitalopram May 2021-Sept 2021 (had me try and increase from 10 to 20 but serotonin syndrome, so quickly went back down)

Flouxetine sept 2021-January 2022 (10 mg every day, beginning December 8mg every other day, 4mg every three days, then 2 mg every 3rd dat, then stop)

*This is the best I can do to remember. Always taking lowest dose available unless otherwise mentioned, so 10mg

@DaisySimba

Prozac can take a few weeks to fully register in your system, so just be patient. It is the longest lasting antidepressant also.

You could try a little magnesium and see if it helps also.

Here is some information on CBD also.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• 3 months later...

Liquid escitalopram taper

I reinstated antidepressants 3 months ago. I switched to lexapro 10mg a month in a half ago. I switched to the liquid form two weeks ago to help me do a long taper. I felt fine for the most part on 10, but when I switched to 9mg 4 days ago I started to feel side effects. I have extreme fatigue during the day and some dizziness. Is this normal after just decreasing by 1mg? I’ve tapered with larger decreases before and not felt this. Any insight would be great, thank you. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Venlafaxine 2013-2019

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi DaisySimba

I've moved your new topic to your Introduction which keeps all your information in one place.

Please update your drug signature to show the reinstatement of escitalopram and the doses and the dates.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Q:  Did you do a "cross over" from tablet to liquid?

SA generally recommends doing a cross over when changing forms of the drug which allows to your system to adjust to the change in going from tablet to liquid.

Escitalopram is a very strong drug.  Approximate equivalency is escitalopram 9.0mg/day, sertraline 50mg/day.

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

From the above topic:

On 5/27/2011 at 12:16 PM, Altostrata said:

Consequently, when you taper off escitalopram, you should be careful to decrease by small amounts, as each drop is magnified by escitalopram's extra potency. If you find withdrawal symptoms from a 10% decrease to be too difficult, after 3-4 weeks decrease by a smaller amount.

It takes about 4 days for a dose to get to a steady level in the blood and a bit longer for it to register in the brain.  If you can tolerate the symptoms then you might find that after a few more days the symptoms improve.

However, if the withdrawal symptoms are unbearable you could do a small updose.  You might find that increasing to 9.25mg is enough to reduce the withdrawal symptoms.

It is important to listen to your body/symptoms and not reduce again until you are stable.  And next time you reduce I suggest you reduce by less than 10%.  You might consider this method of tapering which gives you more control of your reductions and you can hold for longer at any time during a reduction cycle:

Brass Monkey Slide

Please understand that there will most likely be times during your taper when you do experience withdrawal symptoms and discomfort.  The aim is to keep them to a minimum.  AND to use non drug coping techniques to get through those times.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

Stability

WDnormal

And Brassmonkey talks more about it here:

tao-of-the-brassmonkey

SA's taper rate is no more than 10% of the current dose followed by a hold of about 4 weeks to allow the brain to adapt to not getting as much of the drug.  But it is also important to listen to your body/symptoms and taper according to those, and holding for longer/reducing by less if/when needed.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• ChessieCat changed the title to DaisySimba: recovery issues after stopping 12 years of being on antidepressant
  • 1 month later...

Lexapro taper and feeling hungry

I’m tapering 1mg at a time off lexapro 10mg. In the last few weeks I’ve felt extremely hungry often. Is this normal? What could be the cause? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added Intro topic title before merging with intro topic

Venlafaxine 2013-2019

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management