Wangoka: 10mg escitalopram cold turkey after 6 weeks - withdrawal after 4 months

Wangoka

Original topic title before shortening:  I quit Nexito / escitalopram 10mg cold turkey after 6 weeks and still having SSRI discontinuation effects after 4months

Hi I am a 26 year old male and I quit Nexito 10 mg Cold turkey and still having ssri discontinuation effects, 4 months down the line.

My history is that I had been misdiagnosed as having bipolar type 2 disorder and was put on Nexito 20mg initially with a mood stabilizer.

I refused to take the mood stabilizer and asked the 20mg dose of Nexito to be reduced to 10mg as it was making me constantly feel tired.

I have experience moments of clarity and the effects of withdrawal seem to be dissipating.

Kindly, advise what I can do to help with the withdrawal effects, as well as how long it will take for the withdrawal symptoms to go away?

Thanks 🙏🏿🤍

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before reducing length
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Wangoka: I quit Nexito / escitalopram 10mg cold turkey after 6 weeks and still having SSRI discontinuation effects after 4months

@Wangoka

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychotic medications, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I see that you cold turkeyed Escitalopram. We don't suggest going cold turkey. We suggest a 10% a month taper to keep withdrawal symptoms as low as possible. Escitalopram is a very hard antidepressant to taper off of.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off escitalopram (Lexapro)

I wish we could tell you how long you will have withdrawal symptoms, but unfortunately everyone is very different.

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

What is withdrawal syndrome?

What is Happening in Your Brain

You could try to reinstate a small amount, 0.5 mg and see if that helps with the wd symptoms. It would take about 10 days for it to reach full stability in your system.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

We don't suggest a lot of supplements on here because they can be activating to your nervous system. We do suggest 2 though if you would like to try one, try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After you have read the links provided, please don't hesitate to reach out to us. I hope I have helped.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper. Last dose June 24, 2024

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I’m 3 months from stopping my lexapro (same active ingredient as your medicine) and I’m still having side effects like chronic fatigue, vivid dreams, ear ringing. I chose to go back on lexapro at a 1/10th of the dose I was on earlier and I am going to have a slow taper . 

2021 mid February  lexapro 10 mg

2022 start Jan - end January  (30 day taper to 10 mg - 0 mg of lexapro using nail filer) ,

100mg of 5HTP mid feb- end feb 

mid may 2022 - mid november 2022 taper 1.0 mg lexapro unorthodox taper to 0.0 mg by mixing it up with salt water

Hi how is the slow taper going?

Really do not want to get anywhere near SSRI’s ever again and want to allow my brain to fully heal itself on its own.

Can’t risk things getting worse than they already are as I do feel that my symptoms have slowly improved.

Would rather have symptoms for a year or even more then go back on SSRI’s ever again.

My symptoms are largely concentration, memory, brain fog, irritability based.

When I exercise it really helps and I’ve found that spirituality and meditation are good ways to retain hope for a brighter day.

Want to start on Omega Fish Oil and Magnesium to help with the neurogenesis and brain regrowth.

Truly, appreciate this platform as I would probably have been put back onto the medication as my symptoms persisted.

🤍🌞

I just started yesterday with the reuptake. The admins are pushing a small dose and slowly tapering off of them starting at  0.5-1.0mg and then tapering off of them for 8 months. It stabilizes the nervous system.

5 months after taking lexapro my nervous system “shut down” and experienced chronic fatigue even though I sleep 9 hrs a day. It’s been a year of chronic fatigue and my life has been hell, so I’ll try anything at this point. 

2022 start Jan - end January  (30 day taper to 10 mg - 0 mg of lexapro using nail filer) ,

mid may 2022 - mid november 2022 taper 1.0 mg lexapro unorthodox taper to 0.0 mg by mixing it up with salt water

Hi trust that you are well, just a quick question, I am still feeling the escitalopram withdrawal effects, and currently a bit hesitant to get back on a small dose of the medication I was on.

Been reading up on lions mane mushroom extract, what are your thoughts on using supplements to promote neurogenesis.

@Wangoka

I merged the above question to your main introduction page. Please post all questions here so we can keep it in one place.

We don't suggest any supplements on here other than magnesium and omega, which I gave you the information in the introduction.

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper. Last dose June 24, 2024

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

Got you. Appreciate the response and help.

I understand that AWS is a waiting game and in time things will get better but is there anything I can do in the short term to enhance my performance, and in the event that I do take lions mane and/ or bacopa monnieri , could it negatively impact my nervous system?

@Wangoka

I can't suggest anything other than the magnesium and omega.

Everyone is different and heals differently.

I can tell you time does heal all wounds. So time is the best answer I can give.

On 5/5/2022 at 1:08 PM, Wangoka said:

Hi @Joeindiansjust a quick check in on how you are feeling after resuming the small dose?

now, not too good. my symptoms have came back as strong as when I first quit lexapro 3 months ago

• 3 weeks later...

@Wangoka

Hi there. Going through your post today. I’m sorry you are in a bad wave. How are you doing this past week? 
I know how hard it is to question yourself when you are going through a wave. Stay strong. You WILL heal just as I WILL heal but in due time ( ugh, I hate that statement but it’s true) 

sending you positivity and a caring ear. 

Ninabird

PREVIOUS

2018 Ativan 1mg Oct-Jan (CT), 2019 Effexor 75mg, Klonopin .25mg, Trazadone 75mg, Bridge to Prozac (?dose), 2020 Taper off all, 2021 Zoloft (?dose), Jan-May (CT @ Hospital), Remeron (?dose) Trazadone 75mg, Propanolol (?dose), Klonopin .50mg, Buspar (?dose),

2021 Prozac (?dose), Trazadone 75mg, Klonopin 2 times a day, 2021 August fast taper Trazadone  Prozac fast taper in August. August Lexapro 10mg

2022 January  Lexapro to 25mg, February FT to 10mg Lexapro over 6 weeks, Klonopin .25mg 2 times a day, May Effexor 35mg, June bridge from Effexor to 30mg Cymbalta. Held on Lexapro until November.

supplements  2023  Jan Probiotics stopped taking after two weeks ADR April 1k Iu Vitamin D W/ K stopped after a few days ADR. March 50mg Mag glycinate stopped after a week ADR

January 2023added an additional .25 mg Klonopin (.25 mg three times a day)

CURRENT

1/23-Present Klonopin .75mg divided into .25mg 3 times a day. 6:30am, 12:00pm, 6:30pm 7/6/24 SAME

1/23Present Lexapro .101 mgpw - 8.08 mgai 8:00am

1/23-Present Estradiol .50mg 8:00am 7/6/24 same

1/23-Present 30mg Cymbalta 12:30pm 7/6/24 same

6/23 to present Holding no changes 7/4 reduced Lexapro to 7.92mg 7/31 7.84mg 8/7 7.76mg 7/14 7.60mg 10/1 7.44mg 10/28 7.36mg 2/1 7.12mg 2/14 7.04mg 3/5/24 6.88mg 3/12 6.80mg 4/29 6.48mg 7/6/24 5.84mg

Thank you very much for the support. My symptoms have settled down a little, though I had to quit my job and focus on my health. Say a prayer for me.. ty

Hi @Ninabird been an interesting time. Happy that I did not go back onto the antidepressants and slowly taper off.

Still have waves every so often after 6 months off the antidepressants, however, I have noted that the following really help:

1.) Drink lots of water;

2.) Stay positive and meditate;

3.) Reconnect with yourself spiritually- Pray;

4.) Exercise everyday/ morning to set the tone for the day;

5.) Have a Neurogenesis Stack- Lions Mane, Bacopa Monnieri, Omega 3-Fish Oil, Ginkgo Baloba, Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin D3;

6.) Try to find a good support system;

7.) Take healing a day at a time and practice gratitude.

I personally feel that this experience allows me to reflect on things that I took for granted and to build positive habits that I formerly abandoned.

All in all, wishing you tonnes of peace and love 🤍🌞

• ChessieCat changed the title to Wangoka: 10mg escitalopram cold turkey after 6 weeks - withdrawal after 4 months
  • 4 months later...

In a bit of a low space. Got a new job in April 2022 and it’s been a lot of pressure and a lot to handle.

Hate that I’m unable to perform cognitively as well as I traditionally would be. Been really patient since going cold turkey and taken things a day at a time.

But I don’t know what to do right now and need a bit of help. Feel quite alone and cannot see a better tomorrow.

I’ve tried taking Modafnil; Lions Mane; Bocopa Monnieri; Gingko Biloba; Vitamin B; and Fish Oil.

Initially, these helped but I feel so overwhelmed by work and don’t know how to meet the workplace standards.

Praying that I can get through this, and see a light at the end of the tunnel.

@Frogie @Athosveronahi I trust that you are doing well. Been off of Escitalopram for about 10 months now and still have a few memory problems and I’m not being able to function as well as I used to cognitively.

I had been on Nexito 20mg for about one week and Nexito 10mg for about 6 to 8 weeks. As short as the timeframe was when I was on them and as much as I would not take them religiously (everyday), I developed quite the reaction to coming off them cold turkey.

On the bright side I’ve improved quite a lot since the beginning of the year and can definitely see most of my symptoms fading off by December/ January this year.

Just want to know if I will eventually level out in the long term and the feelings of hopelessness and confusion will fade away in time?

As you can gather from the thread I am way more positive and balanced then I was when I joined, but, just need a little bit of assurance that all will be well eventually from people who understand what I’ve gone through.

Cheers in advance.

@Altostrata

Just now, Wangoka said:

@Frogie @Athosveronahi I trust that you are doing well. Been off of Escitalopram for about 10 months now and still have a few memory problems and I’m not being able to function as well as I used to cognitively.

I had been on Nexito 20mg for about one week and Nexito 10mg for about 6 to 8 weeks. As short as the timeframe was when I was on them and as much as I would not take them religiously (everyday), I developed quite the reaction to coming off them cold turkey.

On the bright side I’ve improved quite a lot since the beginning of the year and can definitely see most of my symptoms fading off by December/ January this year.

Just want to know if I will eventually level out in the long term and the feelings of hopelessness and confusion will fade away in time?

As you can gather from the thread I am way more positive and balanced then I was when I joined, but, just need a little bit of assurance that all will be well eventually from people who understand what I’ve gone through.

Cheers in advance.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Wangoka,

Would you please put your drug history into a signature for us?

How to summarize Your Drug History in your Signature

and I've pulled out most of what you need to read, and then do,  from ^ link, so that you will do your signature please.  Thankyou.

Your signature appears under all your posts. To add or edit your signature, click on Account Settings in the menu that drops down from your name in the upper right of every page.

This link should go directly to your own signature. Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Remember to Save after entering the text in the box:

The staff needs this information to answer your questions. In your signature, we need to see

- Exactly what drugs you're taking now (not just psychiatric drugs), with dosages and when you started each drug

- What you were taking before, with dosages and start and stop dates

As the signature is limited to 12 lines, we expect you to condense your drug history. The last few years usually will do.

FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June 2018) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

On 10/27/2022 at 11:28 AM, Wangoka said:

Yes, I think you will level off and the confusion and feelings of hopelessness will fade away in time.

We usually see improvement in a Windows and Waves pattern.  See:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

That you've seen improvement is great, and a good sign that you will indeed have full recovery.  You may want to explore some non-drug coping for your present symptoms.

Have you looked around our Symptoms and Self Care forum yet.

You'll see that forum from our Home Page.  And I'd recommend this topic there to start:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Careful with the additional supplements.  We really just stick with the magnesium, and omega 3's(fish oil) and links to those topic are in your first welcome post.  They tend to be calming for most.  Do start low, and go slow, with only the addition of one thing at any time.  That way you can do good observations.

Time is really your best option.  And patience.  Yes, I believe you'll make a full recovery.

Please get to your signature.  Thank you.  It can let us know at a glance your drug history, and then history of tapering and/or going off your medication(s)/drug(s).

You are sounding good.  Happy further healing.  And we appreciate your update(s).

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022, and again finally 5/25/24.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator
On 10/27/2022 at 10:28 AM, Wangoka said:

We have seen people very gradually improve over many months.

If you are in a difficult situation that makes you feel hopeless and confused, that is your emotions telling you that you need to be in a different situation. It is not withdrawal.

On 10/25/2022 at 6:54 AM, Wangoka said:

I’ve tried taking Modafnil; Lions Mane; Bocopa Monnieri; Gingko Biloba; Vitamin B; and Fish Oil.

Taking other psychotropic substances or drugs, such as modafinil, or drinking alcohol can cause a bad reaction that will sabotage your recovery from withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostratathank you for your message. It is well received. Will try and heed your advice and stop taking the modafnil. It’s quite hard to operate at 100% capacity without it but will try to supplement the modafnil with exercise and a healthy diet

• Administrator

Everybody likes the stimulants.

If you want to discuss further, help us out: Follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.