Acubian: Thinking about starting SSRIs

Acubian

I am 40, male. I’ve never had chronic anxiety before.. just the typical anxiousness before a large work presentation, that’s it.

October, 2021, I got heart palpitations after 2nd Pfizer/COVID vaccine. Then developed chronic anxiety and have had a couple of panic attacks (again: all of this is new to me)

I was put on Citalopram for 3 months and it worked! I felt great (normal.) after reading horror stories of long-term use, I tapered off of it. After 4 weeks off, anxiety came back and I don’t know what to do! 

I stopped coffee. I exercise daily, eat healthy, do breathing exercises, pray, take natural vitamins, read books on overcoming anxiety, have a therapist, but none of it is working.

I feel like I have no choice but to get back on SSRIs.

I don’t have a social phobia or trigger. I am just constantly anxious all day, get heart racing, palpitations, and sometimes feel like I’m losing control. If I shouldn’t take SSRIs then what can I do?!?

I don’t want long-term medicine but what choice do I have? (I feel like I did before I ever took citalopram so I can’t blame this feeling on the drug)

3 months 20mg citalopram, early 2022

-tapered off: 10mg for one week, then 10 mg every other day for one week

• ChessieCat changed the title to Acubian: Thinking about starting SSRIs

@Acubian

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychotic medication, or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First can you please create a signature.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

How much Citralopram were you on? How long did it take you to taper off? We never suggest more than 10% and month a some taper a lot slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

You could reinstate the Citralopram at 1 mg and hold for quite a while until you regain stability and then taper off very slowly.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

We don't suggest supplements on here because they can be stimulating to the nervous system, however, you could try some magnesium and omega. If you want to try these, try one in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega-3 Fish Oil

After you have read the links provided, please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thanks for replying. I was on 20 mg citalopram for 3 months. Then 1 week on 10 mg and the 2nd week, I did 10mg every other day as directed by doctor. It took 4 weeks of no pills for my anxiety to come back.

My question: how do I know if it’s withdrawal or the original anxiety that led me to citalopram in the first place

I’m feeling just like I did when I first went to the doctor. 

3 months 20mg citalopram, early 2022

-tapered off: 10mg for one week, then 10 mg every other day for one week

@Acubian

It could have very well been because of the covid vaccination in the beginning.

But because you tapered off of the Citalopram so quickly, your body was dependent on it and you took it away, now probably causing wd symptoms.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

• Mentor
50 minutes ago, Acubian said:

My question: how do I know if it’s withdrawal or the original anxiety that led me to citalopram in the first place

I’m feeling just like I did when I first went to the doctor. 

welcome Acubian ! 
this was a tough one to answer early on for me too. Still it’s hard sometimes to differentiate wd symptoms for normal health issues. 
I agree with Frogie that you are most likely sensing wd symptoms (anxiety). And when you feel this it makes it worse. So withdrawals cause anxiety which cause more anxiety. 

Getting to some stability would be the first step

I started have anxiety for life issues years ago never had them before. Just like you dr gave me ssri. Then when I decided to stop anxiety came rolling on. Your anxiety is back they say! Finally making it here to SA after stabilizing and tapering slowly I can look back and see it was just withdrawals not anxiety coming back. 

If I knew what I know now I most likely would have not taken the ssri. Don’t know. I didn’t listen too good back then. I wished they would have given me options and told me risks of these drugs. Everyone is different- different life. 

There are many ways to deal with anxiety. Much info here and on the web. You will have to try different things. With me it’s not just one thing it’s many things that add up to calm me. Powdered magnesium in water bottle, hot bath, excercise, being with good friends and family, accomplishing something , get in the woods, and staying busy. It’s not easy but definitely doable and you will get through it. Once you learn the ways that help  then you start having a sense of control of your situation and anxiety will slowly diminish. 
Hang on 💪

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed.