Abss: olanzapine - pill cutters … tiny pills

Abss

Hello all, thank you for all the amazingly helpful guidance and support given on this site. 

I’m new to this pill cutting lark. Olanzapine is teeny tiny…can someone recommend a pill cutter that cuts evenly and well please? I’ve so far managed to mangle a few with a rather flimsy pharmacy bought chopper! 

2020, citalopram, 20mg, tapered to five and stopped

2022, unsuccessful with mitrazapine and venlafaxine, 1mg lorazepam tapered to 0.25mg,  olanzapine 2.5/1.25mg, Zoloft 100mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Abss: olanzapine - pill cutters … tiny pills

@Abss

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people such as yourself taper off psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other member such as yourself. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

First can you please create a signature page.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

The easiest way to taper Olanzapine is to use a scale and crush and weigh the tablets. That way you get the exact dose you need.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

Please reach out with any other questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you @frogie really helpful. This may sound stupid, but when you’ve crushed the tablets, can you just mix with Jam or something to help digest?

Hopefully the signature now works! 

2022, unsuccessful with mitrazapine and venlafaxine, 1mg lorazepam tapered to 0.25mg,  olanzapine 2.5/1.25mg, Zoloft 100mg

@Abss

You would need to order some gel caps off Amazon and you will them with the powder. You want to get at least "0" or "00" so they can be filled easily.

I did a week at a time.

Signature looks great. Thanks!

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you. Essentially a mini pharmacy is required….!

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Abss said:

Thank you. Essentially a mini pharmacy is required….!

Don't forget to buy a lab coat!  Just joking.  Another member and I were discussing this the other day:

Their comment:

On 6/19/2022 at 3:26 AM, Kaervin said:

I wonder how many people going on ADs for the first time didn't realize how acquainted they would become with mathematics, percentages, cutting/weighing pills, etc.. just to come off of them with the least amount of disruption.

My reply to the above:

Crazy! 🤪

I because very good at using Excel spreadsheet to work out how many capsules of a particular dose I would need for my taper.

And opening capsules, graduated cylinders, syringes.  I never did get myself a lab coat to wear whilst creating my concoctions.

Every now and then I would think how ridiculous it all was and just shake my head with a wry smile.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I found it helpful to write down my "recipe".  Some days my brain wouldn't work properly and it meant that I didn't get so anxious and double/triple/quadruple checking and worrying about whether I had got it right.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

The video link was excellent, thank you. @ChessieCat

Thank you also for the guidance to @brassmonkey experiences. I can see how insanely hard it is to measure when you get to tiny doses and that visual divisions become necessary, as 4mg is the minimum scale weight.  This seems very challenging when precision is key (the video made this very clear) any further tips appreciated! 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi @Abss

My personal experience:  I found water titration was by far the most satisfactory way to get very consistent dosages, which matters because there is already enough yo-yo action going on in the body with wds.  Probably even more important at lower doses.

Cheers

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/27/2022 at 11:42 PM, Abss said:

4mg is the minimum scale weight

Are you meaning 4mg dose or 4mg physical weight?

Brassmonkey managed to weigh very small amounts using the Gemini 20 scale.  It was only at the very end that he had to weigh and then manually divide up his doses.

Using a scale to weigh and measure doses

Thank you @ChessieCat and @hayduke

I’m hugely embarrassed….the teeny tiny pill is certainly not even one gram, but certainly must weigh more than 2.5mg as that’s the drug content (albeit I have reason to believe it’s not split evenly through the pill)….so for sure the itsy bitsy teeny weeny pill must weigh more and therefore the scales you kindly sound perfect and the liquid taper also sounds really sensible. Appreciated. 

• Moderator Emeritus

The physical pill has drug + fillers.  The physical pill weight is different from the amount of dose that a pill contains.

13 hours ago, hayduke said:

I found water titration was by far the most satisfactory way to get very consistent dosages

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug