karla: withdrawing from a very small dose of Cymbalta

karla

Hi all, I've been tapering off cymbalta for, several years, after having taken it on and off for about 15 years. For at least the past year I've taken 5 mg (1 bead from the Lupin generic). I took my last 5 mg dose about six weeks ago. I felt fine for about a week, but then briefly had brain zaps. Twitching in my feet and legs (a minor no big deal thing that happens to my anyhow) got significantly worse, to the point where it is interfering with my sleep. I'm also generally not sleeping well, and so my mood is labile. Or it's just labile because of the withdrawal? My question is does it seem legit that this could be withdrawal even though 5 mg is such a low dose? I'm considering taking a dose to see if the symptoms go away, but I worry that might start the process over. Any ideas, feedback, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

karla posted this back in 2017 in the PSSD topic (only one post made):

On 1/5/2017 at 10:41 AM, karla said:

Hi all.  I have been completely off meds for about three months now.  Here's the weird thing - sexual functioning has gotten worse in some ways, I've experienced some genital anesthesia post meds in a way I didn't experience on meds.  I'm hoping it's just my nervous system rewiring itself.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Thanks!

Edited by ChessieCat
added quoted post for extra information

2003 - 9/2016 - Cymbalta, 20 mg

8/2016 -10/2016 - Prozac, 10 mg to ease Cymbalta w/d

1/2017 - back on Cymbalta, 20 mg

2/20 - 5/22 gradual Cymbalta taper (15, 10, then 5 mg)

5/12/22 - final 5 mg Cymbalta dose

2/20 - present Bupropion 150 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to karla: withdrawing from a very small dose of Cymbalta

@karla

Welcome back to SA.

22 hours ago, karla said:

I took my last 5 mg dose about six weeks ago

You jumped off of a dose that is way to high. And that is why you are feeling the wd symptoms you are.

When to end the taper and jump to zero?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

What is happening in your brain? - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Since it has only been a few weeks you could reinstate and hold for quite a while, then taper very slowly. We don't suggest more than 10% a month and many go slower than that.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta)

We don't suggest a lot of supplements on here because they are too stimulating to the nervous system, except 2. You could try one in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

After reading the links provided please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thanks for these great resources! I tried reinstating, but only for two days, so from what I read I should try again for a week and see if that leads to any improvement? I'm guessing the way to taper from 5 mg is to switch to a generic with more than four beads so I can more slowly come off the 5 mg? Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @karla How are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I decided not to reinstated because my symptoms are better than they were when I initially stopped, I figure as long as I'm seeing improvement...I have a question about rescue doses. In mid-May I stopped Cymbalta after a several year taper (went from 5 mg to 0). Thankfully did not have many mood symptoms, but about a week after had significant twitching in my feet and insomnia. It has improved, but it kind of cycles. I read of rescue doses maybe a month and a half ago and have been taking one every 1.5 to 2 weeks. Does this seem "okay"? I'm assuming doses that spread out won't resume the dependency because of the very short half life? Any feedback and wisdom much appreciated. 

• Administrator

How much are you taking in rescue doses every 1.5 to 2 weeks? How do you feel after a rescue dose?

What do you mean by "it kind of cycles"?

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.