Tallis: my quest to be free from mirtazapine

Tallis

Hello. This is my first post. Can someone please direct me towards how to make a signature and a drug history. From what I understand the signature is a condensed version of the drug history and visible to all users whilst the drug history is visible only to moderators. Is this correct?

The drug I am beginning to withdraw from is Mirtazapine. The only other drug I am currently taking is HRT which I don’t intend to change at present. I’ve been taking an antidepressant of some sort or another for about 20 years and have changed from citalopram to Mirtazapine about 2 years ago. There were other drugs and alcohol in the mix intermittently until quite recently too which I will go into as I go along and figure out how this site works. 

Until a couple of months ago I was taking 30mg of Mirtazapine. After a couple of cuts I am now taking 20mg. The first cut was down to 22.5. My main symptom kicked in after a few days and was characterised by feelings of anger, rage and difficulty sleeping. Thinking back, maybe the cut was a bit too big, but my symptoms abated after a couple of weeks. Once I felt comfortable and stable from this dose (just over a month),  I cut another 2.5 mg to my current dose. I experienced irritability and trouble sleeping again, but this is now improving. I don’t feel that I am stable yet and plan to stay on this dose for at least another month. I don’t have any terrible symptoms but just feel like my brain is still catching up. It’s like an intuitive thing and trying to tune into my body. So in general I feel like it’s going quite well so far.

I’ve been dipping into this site and found it very helpful in driving home the importance of going slowly. I’ve had some horrific cold turkey withdrawals from other substances and want to approach this methodically and do it properly. 

I’ve spoken to a doctor about it as I wanted to change the format of the drug from oral dispensable to tablet so they are easier to cut. He was completely uninterested and neither asked questions about my decision or offered any helpful tips. I didn’t really expect anything different but it’s kind of funny how people always tend to stress the importance of talking to a doctor before making any decisions regarding changes in medication. He offered me 15mg instead of 30 and I said I wasn’t ready to go to that amount yet and said I would be in touch when I am. 

Most people I speak to about this seem to think I am foolish for attempting this, especially given my dubious history around substance use. The popular opinion is that if a doctor prescribes you a drug, it is safe, and you need it. But I have come to a point where I have had enough and want out. So here I am, and that’s my current status. 

- July 2020. Citalopram reinstated during alcohol detox. Had stopped taking it due to alcoholic decline and inability to organise my prescription. 
- September 2020. Requested Mirtazapine for sleep purposes. Prescribed 15 mg of that and 15 mg of Citalopram for one month followed by 30 mg of Mirtazapine. Doubled my dose for a while to 60mg. Got back to 30 after about a month. 
- Concurrent intermittent alcohol misuse during this period culminating in a bad relapse in December 2021. 
- Mid December, stopped alcohol. 
- March 2022. Started to use phenibut daily for 3 months. (Still using 30 mg of Mirtazapine). 
May 2022. Stopped phenibut cold Turkey. Relapsed on alcohol during withdrawal for one week. 
Thereafter just taking Mirtazapine which I started to reduce in mid June.

- June 2022. 22.5mg 

- July 2022. 20 mg

• ChessieCat changed the title to Tallis: my quest to be free from mirtazapine

@Tallis

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that each member only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Here is a link to create your drug signature. I wouldn't go into detail on the illicit and unprescribed substances, just the date and what they were.

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here are some links you will find useful on tapering.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine (Remeron)

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Irritability, Anger, Rage

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

We don't suggest a lot of supplements on here as they can be stimulating to the nervous system. We do find that magnesium and omega do help calm the nervous system with some people. If you would like to try one try it in a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

After you have read the links provided please reach out with any questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thank you for your reply Frogie. I think I would have made my signature much more long winded than it needed to be! I believe I have submitted it now. 

- July 2020. Citalopram reinstated during alcohol detox. Had stopped taking it due to alcoholic decline and inability to organise my prescription. 
- September 2020. Requested Mirtazapine for sleep purposes. Prescribed 15 mg of that and 15 mg of Citalopram for one month followed by 30 mg of Mirtazapine. Doubled my dose for a while to 60mg. Got back to 30 after about a month. 
- Concurrent intermittent alcohol misuse during this period culminating in a bad relapse in December 2021. 
- March 2022. Started to use phenibut daily for 3 months. (Still using 30 mg of Mirtazapine). 
May 2022. Stopped phenibut cold Turkey. Relapsed on alcohol during withdrawal for one week. 

- June 2022. 22.5mg 

- July 2022. 20 mg

@Tallis

Looks great!

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Haha. It wasn’t a great couple of years as you can probably tell but I am back and fighting now. 😊

- June 2022. 22.5mg 

- July 2022. 20 mg

I’ve been drinking a lot of Ovaltine. At first I thought it would be helpful as it’s full of vitamins, and I love the taste of it. However it seems to leave me feeling quite wired and jittery. I wonder if it’s all the b vitamins, or the sugar. I should probably eliminate it or at least cut it right down. 

- June 2022. 22.5mg 

- July 2022. 20 mg

• Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, Tallis said:

I wonder if it’s all the b vitamins,

Some SA members find B vitamins activating, especially B6.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

1 minute ago, ChessieCat said:

Some SA members find B vitamins activating, especially B6.

Thank you. It does contain B6. 

- June 2022. 22.5mg 

- July 2022. 20 mg