Wantingtosurviveit: I'm hoping for some support - new to withdrawal

Wantingtosurviveit

Hello, 

I'm hoping for some support. I started tapering from 20mg of citalopram about 3months ago. Initially following advice to alternate 10/20 which was awful. So dropped to 15 daily. Big anxiety but it settled so dropped again to 10 and then suffered severe anxiety and depression. This lifted after 1 month, but here I am a month later back in the darkness. I've signed back into therapy which starts next week and I'm following all my therapy tips and pointers and being kind to myself etc. However, I am in a place that is so confused about what I should do. Doc says go back up to 15 pos even 20. A medical friend says could try a different drug. I found this site and am intrigued that I may be a sufferer of withdrawal and am un certain of my next move. Should I go back up or is it too late, I read about the window of opportunity to reinstate the previous dose. Or do I persevere. I'm afraid that this will just get worse and I'll end up terribly unwell. 

I'm wondering if anyone has been through similar experience and wouldn't mind sharing with me 

I'm still on 10mg. 

Jan 2021 - first panick attack 

March 2021- 10mg citalopram

April/may 2021 - 20mg citalopram 

And lots of therapy

December signed off and given go ahead to come off when ready

May 2022- reduced to 15mg

June 2022 - reduced to 10mg (bad timing had contraceptive coil fitted) 

Also have fostair inhaler for asthma 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Wantingtosurviveit: I'm hoping for some support - new to withdrawal

@Wantingtosurviveit

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medication or have tapered and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

Can you please create a signature.

How to List Drug History in Signature

I went through the same as you are going through. I cut my Lexapro in 1/2 as the dr told me to. I had about the same symptoms as you, but because of this site I was able to taper off after I stabilized for a few months. 

We don't suggest more than a 10% a month taper and some go much slower than that.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

The slowness of slow tapers

Brass Monkey Slide

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

I would not increase the dose at this time. I would hold at the 10 mg and get stability before tapering any further.

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Withdrawal Normal Description

Waves and Windows in SSRI Withdrawal

We don't suggest supplements on here as they can be too stimulating to the nervous system. We have found, however that magnesium and omega do help some with calming the nervous system. If you want to try one try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

After you have read the provided links please reach out with any questions you may have.

Edited by Frogie

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

This is so brilliant thank you for taking the time to reply to me 

And lots of therapy

@Wantingtosurviveit

You are very welcome.

Let me know how we can help any further.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

You must hear this all the time but I wish I had known this before starting the taper, I would have taken it much slower  I feel like I've halves the dose very quickly and now suffering. And afraid to go back to the gp because he will just say I need to go back up. 😪 but the symptoms are so similar to relapse, the hardest thing is to be strong in the times of darkness or anxiety and convince yourself to stick to it and that it is WD

And lots of therapy

• Moderator Emeritus

Some members don't even tell their doctor that they are taking a lower dose.  The important thing is to be able to continue getting your prescription until you have completed your taper.

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect

One thing that I suggest to members is that when talking to their doctor they use terms like:  I realise that other people might be able to get off faster, but I would prefer to go slower; I would prefer to try this; I'd prefer to stay on this drug rather than risk a different drug not working.

You will notice that each of these statements is saying how you feel about things, not telling the doctor that you don't want to do it their way, but just being non confrontational.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

When I was going off seroquel a few months ago, I was experiencing intense anxiety and insomnia. My doctor suggested adding more medication to manage those symptoms and I politely but firmly declined. Thoughing it out really worked out for me, but it might not work for you. I'd say it depends on what kind of responsabilities you have going on. I took a few months off school to manage my symptoms, but not everyone has that luxury.

Doctors can be a pain to deal with, but learning how to talk to them is a skill that is truly worth developing. Everytime I meet a healthcare professional, I try to have to have a plan of what I'm going to say and what I want out of that meeting. I feel like it helps a lot being taken seriously.

PAST: Quetiapine (quit 2022), Bupropion (quit 2020)

CURRENT: Currently taking lamotrigine and tapering lithium (went from 600mg to 300mg in june 2022)

Thank you. 😊 I have a good doctor who takes time with me and listens and often reminds me that it's my choice, however I do feel he is less/not aware of this (because of the "if it doesn't settle within a month then it is relapse" comment) and therefore cannot offer this as a possibility. I belive he would listen if I explained this but then it's up to me to say what it is I want. And that's part of the problem not knowning what ALL the options are and then not knowing what one is the right one for me. I have booked back in with the counsellor.  I wish I had found this before stating the taper, I possibly could have avoided this. I want to taper off, I was very stable before the taper started and i have a wonderful life and family and support. I think like everyone, it's the suffering through the neuro emotions and the fear of one's own mental health and trying to balance Wd with the possibility of decline and not wanting to be battling through something I should perhaps be treating. (Probably part of the problem is lack of understanding how to treat depression and anxiety WITHOUT medication in the first place) 

I am so appreciative of everyone's replies! 

And lots of therapy

• Mentor
7 hours ago, Wantingtosurviveit said:

And that's part of the problem not knowning what ALL the options are and then not knowing what one is the right one for me.

There aren’t many safe options. After you have stabilised you have two if you want to get safely off your meds:

1) do 10% of the previous dose every 4 weeks

2) do the BrassMonkey Slide which divides the 10% across 4 weeks, so 2.5% a week followed by a 2 week hold.

I have read that option 2 is working well for many members, including me, and people who have previously been destabilised by dropping too fast have sensitised nervous systems and also find the BrassMonkey slide easier. 

Doctors (in my experience) don’t approve of grinding up pills and weighing them but mine reluctantly agreed to back me. Originally I was going to do option 1 so that’s what he approved. I didn’t dare tell him I’d gone for the 2nd option as I knew his position on grinding up pills! It’s madness: the Royal College of Psychiatrists recommends the 10% option but in the next breath tells you not to grind your own pills! These are the only two safe tapering options.  

I know when you’re feeling bad from dropping too much too soon it is very tempting to go back up.  Be careful. I did that and it took a year to stabilise emotionally and I was severely fatigued the whole time and only able to work very part time (2 years) before I started my taper. As I’ve tapered I’ve been able to add a couple of hours extra work to my week every six months. So up dosing is no guarantee you’re going to feel better again. If you decide to go back up seek advice from the mods here about how much to up dose. They know far more than the doctors about these things. 

As for adding another drug this causes further disruption to your nervous system and people feel even worse. You only need to read a few threads on here to see the damage caused by adding another drug, so avoid this at all costs.

I’m really sorry this has happened to you and hope you stabilise soon and start feeling a lot better. 

am not a medical professional. I provide information and make suggestions based on my own experience and SA guidelines. I am unable to respond to private messages. 

Mirtazepine 15mg Nov 2018 -April 2019  April - Sept 2019 Mirtazepine down to around 6mg - skipping days to taper

October 2019 - Dec 2019 unwell from failed taper including jumping about in doses 

15 December 2019 to 13 June 2021 15mg Mirtazepine 

14 June 2021 started brass monkey Slide.  
2021: 23 August 12.3mg, 28 October 11.1mg, 6 Dec 10mg

2022: 12 Feb 8.5, 25 Oct 4.5mg

2023: 16 Jan 3.6mg, 28 Sept 1.8mg

2024: 13 May 1.1mg

9 hours ago, Wantingtosurviveit said:

And that's part of the problem not knowning what ALL the options are and then not knowing what one is the right one for me.

An option I learned about from my pharmacy recently is custom dosing. I haven't tried it yet but apparently it can work pretty well. Basically, they dilute your medication in a liquid solution to make it customized to a dose that is not available on the market. It can be more expensive but I'm told it can be really useful for people who are sensitive to withdrawals. You should talk to your pharmacist about it and if they don't do it, maybe another pharmacy in your area does.

PAST: Quetiapine (quit 2022), Bupropion (quit 2020)

CURRENT: Currently taking lamotrigine and tapering lithium (went from 600mg to 300mg in june 2022)

That's really interesting! Is this in the UK? 

And lots of therapy

3 hours ago, Faure said:

There aren’t many safe options. After you have stabilised you have two if you want to get safely off your meds:

1) do 10% of the previous dose every 4 weeks

2) do the BrassMonkey Slide which divides the 10% across 4 weeks, so 2.5% a week followed by a 2 week hold.

I have read that option 2 is working well for many members, including me, and people who have previously been destabilised by dropping too fast have sensitised nervous systems and also find the BrassMonkey slide easier. 

Doctors (in my experience) don’t approve of grinding up pills and weighing them but mine reluctantly agreed to back me. Originally I was going to do option 1 so that’s what he approved. I didn’t dare tell him I’d gone for the 2nd option as I knew his position on grinding up pills! It’s madness: the Royal College of Psychiatrists recommends the 10% option but in the next breath tells you not to grind your own pills! These are the only two safe tapering options.  

I know when you’re feeling bad from dropping too much too soon it is very tempting to go back up.  Be careful. I did that and it took a year to stabilise emotionally and I was severely fatigued the whole time and only able to work very part time (2 years) before I started my taper. As I’ve tapered I’ve been able to add a couple of hours extra work to my week every six months. So up dosing is no guarantee you’re going to feel better again. If you decide to go back up seek advice from the mods here about how much to up dose. They know far more than the doctors about these things. 

As for adding another drug this causes further disruption to your nervous system and people feel even worse. You only need to read a few threads on here to see the damage caused by adding another drug, so avoid this at all costs.

I’m really sorry this has happened to you and hope you stabilise soon and start feeling a lot better. 

Thank you so much for your reply. Its great to hear people's experience I would rather know this before speaking to the doc as you'll know you can often be easily lead by them. I think I just need reassurance that It will get better 💔

And lots of therapy