letsdothis: Effexor tapering

letsdothis

Hello!

Well, this site is a breath of fresh air.

Background: Have had chronic joint and muscle pain for many years, remembering it since childhood. Just moderate pain. Always ask about it--nobody has helped.

Diagnosed with ADHD, taking Adderall. Kept asking for Cymbalta for pain based on their commercial, but shrink said no--too hard to withdraw from.

Saw an MD for preventative stuff, she has been great, but was put on Effexor 75 mg for menopausal symptoms and pain. 

Positive effects: tinnitus went away, seemed to work for a while, slightly elevated mood, possible reduction in hot flashes but they may have just gone away. 

Side effects: made me sleepy, severe bloating, gas, constipation, a slightly dulled emotional feeling, lack of motivation, pain returning, moderately dulled sexual response, could not miss a dose without face tingling, severe sweating

Tapered "a little bit less" by taking a little out of the capsule every day throughout July, 2022. Has been 3 or 4 weeks. Everything seemed fine, no symptoms. 

Discontinued 4 days ago, reinstated last "little bit" dose last night after a remarkably unpleasant time of it--extreme (to me) discontinuation symptoms that had me quite frightened and uncomfortable, and reading more on this site. Thanks for the information. Having slight tingly face today, but otherwise feeling so, so much better.

Will be slightly increasing, and counting out balls tonight to make a plan, that's for sure. 

Current:

34.5 Venlafaxine (Effexor XR) -- prescribed 75 mg in 2021 for moderate chronic pain and menopausal symptoms. Tapered to half dose over 3 weeks, then discontinued and had extreme symptoms.

• 8/2/22 taking 102 balls to hopefully stabilize after 4 days of withdrawal after 4 week taper. 
  • 8/4/22 back up to 37.5 to stabilize more.

Adderall XR 20 mg or Dexadrine 10 mg for moderate ADHD on occasion since 2006 (transition to fall, tax season, filing days...) It's okay now and then. Not a fan of the muscle tension.

Cyclobenzaprine (? idk dose--pretty small) one or two nights, one time only, 5 to 10 x a year for muscle spasm

Fish oil, magnesium, feverfew (snack on a leaf here and there in the garden for headache), vitamin D

Couple of beers at dinner

Previous: Various stimulants for ADHD, various SN and SSRIs for misdiagnosed depression: Wellbutrin, 2002ish through 2018, Celexa and Paxil for a couple years, cold turkey, mid '90s, Prozac, early 90s, Imipramine, at age 16 for about a year

@letsdothis

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions, and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, but you did indeed taper off Effexor much too fast. We don't suggest tapering more than 10% a month and some go much slower.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off venlafaxine (Effexor)

Counting beads in a capsule versus weighing

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

Do you know approximately how many beads one of your capsules contains? I would start with a very small amount, 2 mg to start and see if that helps with your symptoms. It takes approximately 7-10 days for the dose to reach full stability in your system. You can always increase if necessary, but it's difficult to decrease.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

What is withdrawal syndrome?

Withdrawal Normal Description

We don't suggest supplements on the site as they can be stimulating, however, we do suggest 2 as they have been found to be calming to the central nervous system (CNS). If you would like to try one, try a small amount and wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

I hope I have helped to answer some of your questions. Please read the links provided and reach out with any questions.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Thanks, this is super helpful. It reminded me to take the Magnesium and Fish oil I have. Went up to 37.5 to stabilize a while. I thought I had reduced a lot more than I actually did. It was really only about half of the 75 dose. Feeling quite well right now, but am looking forward to getting rid of this drugged damper feeling on my brain without frying my whole nervous system. 

Current:

34.5 Venlafaxine (Effexor XR) -- prescribed 75 mg in 2021 for moderate chronic pain and menopausal symptoms. Tapered to half dose over 3 weeks, then discontinued and had extreme symptoms.

• 8/2/22 taking 102 balls to hopefully stabilize after 4 days of withdrawal after 4 week taper. 

Adderall XR 20 mg or Dexadrine 10 mg for moderate ADHD on occasion since 2006 (transition to fall, tax season, filing days...) It's okay now and then. Not a fan of the muscle tension.

Cyclobenzaprine (? idk dose--pretty small) one or two nights, one time only, 5 to 10 x a year for muscle spasm

Fish oil, magnesium, feverfew (snack on a leaf here and there in the garden for headache), vitamin D

Previous: Various stimulants for ADHD, various SN and SSRIs for misdiagnosed depression: Wellbutrin, 2002ish through 2018, Celexa and Paxil for a couple years, cold turkey, mid '90s, Prozac, early 90s, Imipramine, at age 16 for about a year

Yeah... this medication makes me so sleepy and lazy. Have just been falling behind on everything and not even getting a normal stress reaction to that. Am very much looking forward to being off of it, and hope I can manage, or at least get to a dose that leaves me with some kind of emotional affect. I'm at one of my favorite places in the world, and just... flatline brain. But very thankful I didn't end up stuck in that withdrawal hellscape. That was terrifying. 

Current:

Having numbness in my face, arms, legs, and also side effects (demotivated, tired, emotional blunting, reduced sexual response) from the stabilizing dose. Feel stuck between withdrawal and side effects. Seeking regular self-care like massage, etc. Sad about the loss of health, but accepting it, and hoping to find a good balance. Wondering if my chronic pain was a result of earlier withdrawals in the '90s, and at least knowing a possible cause is somewhat helpful. 

Current: