Laurabee: The worry of withdrawal worse than actual withdrawal?

Laurabee

Hi everyone.  I'm new here! 5th time in 15 years attempting withdrawal. Have been on 20mg but taking the tablet every 3 or 4 days because i always forget. Then went down to 10mg for about 3 weeks and now I'm 2 weeks no meds.

I have fatigue for sure and brain zappy stuff but its not horrendous. 

Very emotional but not feeling depressed. 

I feel fearful, fear of it not working out,  fear of mental breakdown, fear of failure... again. 

But... i am kind of functioning. The fear of major withdraw and breakdown is what occupys my minds... I'm doing eft a bit to try and acknowledge my feelings and think positively. 

Anyone else have these feelings that or could all go wrong when in a way things seem ok?

Thank you x

• ChessieCat changed the title to Laurabee: The worry of withdrawal worse than actual withdrawal?

@Laurabee

Welcome to SA. We are a volunteer ran site helping people taper off psychiatric medications or have tapered off and are now healing.

This is your introduction page where you will receive information, ask questions and meet other members. We ask that you only have one introduction page so we can keep all your information in one place. You could bookmark this so you know how to get to it easily.

First can you please create a signature.

How to List Drug History in Signature

Here is some important information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why we get symptoms from going off of these medications:

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

Stability is really important when we are tapering off psych meds.  Please read the link about stability:

Keep It Simple, Slow, and Stable

I'm going to provide you some links to read that you will find helpful:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Withdrawal Normal Description

Waves and Windows in SSRI Withdrawal

Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

Since you just recently stopped taking Citalopram, you could try a reinstatement of 1 mg and see if that would help with your wd symptoms. Then you would hold for a while before tapering off as explained above.

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

What is withdrawal syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

We don't suggest supplements on here except two because they can be stimulating to the nervous system. If you would like to try one, I would suggest trying magnesium first in a small amount, then wait a few days before introducing the other.

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

After you read the above links please reach out with any questions you may have.

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.