LochNessie

LochNessie

Hello, All!

I found this site listed in a medical article about antidepressant withdrawal syndrome. I was on Celexa 40mg for 9 years until 4-1/2 weeks ago. My doctor had me taper to 20mg for 1 week while simultaneously going into 30mg Cymbalta, then into Cymbalta fully (off Celexa). 16 days later, I had a horrible dizzy spell with shaking and heart palpitations that prompted an ER visit via ambulance. The ER doctor and my PCP both thought it was due to the Cymbalta, and recommended I stop immediately. So, I’ve been off all antidepressants for almost 3 weeks ago now, and I’m having terrible withdrawal symptoms, including 2 more dizzy spells feeling like I might pass out. 

Now I’m trying to figure out how to proceed. Do I keep on going “cold turkey” or do I go back on my previous dose and taper?

Thank you so much for your welcome and help.

07/26/22 - Stopped 30mg Cymbalta after 18 days

07/08/22 - Stopped 40mg Celexa after 9 years. Did a 1 week taper then off. 

06/14/22 - Got a 0.5mg Lorazepam prescription as needed for anxiety/panic attacks. Have used 2. 

Previously on Effexor, Xanax and Zoloft (12-20 years ago)

• Administrator

Welcome, @LochNessie

It sounds like you developed withdrawal symptoms from Celexa during the switch to Cymbalta, then you also had an adverse reaction to Cymbalta.

In these situations, we suggest try reinstating a very small amount of the original drug, such as 1mg Celexa, to see if that helps. Surprisingly, even that small amount can reduce withdrawal symptoms -- which will gradually recede. You would stabilize on a low dose for some months then taper off by tiny amounts later. The prescription liquid citalopram is good for this. For background, see Tips for tapering off citalopram (Celexa)

Please let us know how you're doing. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.