A Song About Healing From The Mental Health System

FeralCatman

Well thank goodness I'm Anonymous on this website because this is going to be just about the least manly thing I will ever put on the internet however it needs to be done. 😋

As part of this healing process as I've noted on my own thread recently I've had lots of memory and personality turning back on and it's causing a lot of stress and confusion but at the same time is very welcome. Yesterday a song popped into my head that I had forgotten about. It made me remember how big a sap I used to be and probably still am underneath all these drugs and some of that sappiness is starting to come out again. In any case this is a song that I tried and mostly failed to learn for my first wife. It was before I was ever medicated and after being medicated this kind of stuff fairly quickly ground to a halt. That probably says more than anything about what these meds really do to you.

Upon remembering the song and then getting it stuck in my head I of course looked it up and I listened to it. I realized this song isn't just about two people coming together it is also a song you can sing to yourself that is all about healing and recovering from these medications and the mental health system and getting your life back.

Even with as god-awful as I feel right now this song really rings a bell with me and as each day goes by even though I feel pretty horrific right now I'm having more and more hope that there is a light at the end of this crazy tunnel and I'm starting to believe not just on the surface but deep down inside that I'm going to have a life after this. That feeling is still fleeting but it is growing which I think is a big sign that I'm getting better.

If you start to doubt your decision to do this or where you're headed just listen to this and sing it to yourself because that's where you're headed, A Whole New World and one in which you're free. No one to tell you no or where to go or to tell you that you're only dreaming.

Aladdin - A Whole New World YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ1Rb9hC4JY

Current Psychiatric Medications

1. Paxil 10mg daily (a.m.) 2017 - Present
  2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Quitting Seroquel_A Vacation In Hell_Redacted.pdf

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

I thought about this a little bit more and realized some people may think a Disney movie clip is not the most appropriate thing to associate with the withdrawal process. What struck me was the wording in the song being appropriate to what we are doing and where we are headed in this process. Personally I found it to be a very helpful metaphor and really boosted my spirits when I think about it that way. Since I'm going through this myself I'm certainly well aware that life is not a Disney movie so I hope nobody took it that way.

I'm also realizing now that it's coming back that I miss my old sappy self and I'm glad it's back 😋

2. Carbamazepine IR  190 mg twice daily (380mg Daily) 2011 - Present (Currently Tapering)

Past Psychiatric Medications From 1994 to August 2021   Seroquel (in Recovery since August 2021 final dose 6.25mg), Depakote, Lithium, Risperidone, Xanax, Lamotrigene, Olanzapine, Lorazepam, Welbutrin, Trazodone, Oxazepam, Gabapentin, Abilify, Topiramate, Prazosin, Ambien (See Attached Spreadsheet And Seroquel Tapering And WIthdrawal Summary)

Current Non Psychiatric Medications Levothyroxine 88mcg (a.m.)-Vitamin D3 1000 IU (p.m.)-Fexofenadine 180 mg twice daily -Clonidine 0.1 mg (p.m.)-Azelastine Nasal Spray

Other - Fish Oil Twice Daily-Multi-Vitamin (a.m.)-Vitamin C 1000mg Daily (a.m.)-Saline Nasal Spray-Salsalate 750mg twice daily PRN, Diclofenac Gel on affected joint PRN-Magnesium Citrate 250mg twice daily, Betaine HCL & Digestine Enzymes With Meals

Other Documents https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/26099-feralcatman-recovering-from-seroquel/?do=findComment&comment=633907

• Mentor

That's a beautiful song, and your thoughts were appreciated!  👍

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

15 minutes ago, Catina7 said:

That's a beautiful song, and your thoughts were appreciated!  👍

That moderator badge suits you quite well 😉✌️😺😺

• Mentor
37 minutes ago, FeralCatman said:

That moderator badge suits you quite well 😉✌️😺😺

You're very kind, although I've been pretty much a basket case trying to get acclimated to everything!  😳

Disclaimer:  This is not professional medical advice but is based on personal experience only.

1994 - 2017:  Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Paxil, Wellbutrin, Zoloft, Seroquel, Buspar, Lorazepam, Xanax, Ambien

2005-present:  Trazodone 50 mg 

2017:  Effexor XR 37.5 >> 75 mg 

2020 (March):  Began 10% monthly taper of Effexor XR (got down to 12 mg)

2021 (September):  Completely crashed.  Went back up to 37.5 mg but in doing so I kindled myself

2024:  1/1:  35.6 mg (-6 beads)  |  2/1:  33.8 mg (-11 beads)  |  3/1:  32.1 mg (-16 beads)  |   4/1:  (-18 beads)

Reasons for starting psych meds:  PMDD/Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Other medications:  Levothyroxine 75 mcg

Supplements:  Dr. Berg's Electrolyte Powder on occasion   

6 minutes ago, Catina7 said:

You're very kind, although I've been pretty much a basket case trying to get acclimated to everything!  😳

Transitioning to a new job is always tough because initially there's always a steep learning curve. You'll get there because it seems like you've already got a good part of the job down pretty well anyways.

@FeralCatman I think

its a perfect song. Very fitting actually. 

17 years on 150 mg Effexor.

started taper to 75 mg October 29, 2022

went to 37.5mg December 20, 2022

0 on January 27, 2023

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy