edgewater9: Intro/Help

edgewater9

1 hour ago, edgewater9 said:

t is so terribly confusing with all the symptoms at different doses, I feel your pain. After reinstating at .5mg originally for 2 months I started to get unbearable anxiety all of a sudden which led me to the Buspar and akathasia. It has not been great updosing and I have felt very ill days also, but to me at this point the mental benefit and sleep outweigh the physically ill symptoms. Don't feel bad as I was at a crisis point on .5mg and having very disturbing thoughts, I had to do something different and I hope it continues to improve. LostinCanada, the last dose I felt stable at was probably around 3.5mg before I tapered off

1 hour ago, edgewater9 said:

Also Poppy, I've been told that bad anxiety can also feel like low grade akathasia, I'm wondering if that's what you were experiencing 6 weeks in? It's similar to how I felt after 2 months at .5mg before I updosed, and got significantly better when I did

@edgewater9 I know this is all a minefield. I feel so frightened by it all. If only the anxiety would die down, it would be ok. I spoke to my partner when the anxiety ramped up again and we decided to try and sit it out for now.  I am terrified of making a bad decision based on panic. I so regret not knowing about WD before I set out on this, but then I wish I had known about the effect of AD's full stop! I cannot go back unfortunately. I really would make very different choices, as I guess we all might do on here. Thanks for your advice and support. I will keep it in mind. Speak soon. 

None of my posts are medical advice, just my own experience. Please see your Doctor for any medical advice.

Venlafaxine can't remember exact dose,normal starting dose(Around 2014/15-2017)
Citalopram 10mg (2018-Present - Attempted to stop taking in Aug 22, but got WD - Thought it was 'relapse') 5 months 22 from Sep to Jan Venlafaxine)

Back to 10mg Citalopram -as thought would be easier to stop than Venlaxine
Fast Taper off Citalopram (didn't know about WD) late June to Mid July 23. CT'd until late Sep 23, Stupidly took 3 Days 10mg fluoxetine on Dr advice, intended to taper as soon a stable. Dr said Fluox easier to taper( akathasia reaction) Stopped fluox about 26/9/23. 29/9/23.Reinstated at 2.5mg Citalopram. Holding until stable to taper off. 14/11/23 Reduced to 2.375mg because felt akathasia. Holding until stable.

Just now, Poppy745 said:

I'm wondering if that's what you were experiencing 6 weeks in?

In reference to this @edgewater9. I think I was definitely feeling anxiety, but it was not the main thing (usually it is since this began) the experience of the akathasia felt very different to what had happened previously. Inner shaking and irritability, not something I had experienced since WD (apart from the prozac).  It is possible that it was a different kind of anxiety. Again a minefield. Thanks EW.

None of my posts are medical advice, just my own experience. Please see your Doctor for any medical advice.

Citalopram 10mg (2018-Present - Attempted to stop taking in Aug 22, but got WD - Thought it was 'relapse') 5 months 22 from Sep to Jan Venlafaxine)

Fast Taper off Citalopram (didn't know about WD) late June to Mid July 23. CT'd until late Sep 23, Stupidly took 3 Days 10mg fluoxetine on Dr advice, intended to taper as soon a stable. Dr said Fluox easier to taper( akathasia reaction) Stopped fluox about 26/9/23. 29/9/23.Reinstated at 2.5mg Citalopram. Holding until stable to taper off. 14/11/23 Reduced to 2.375mg because felt akathasia. Holding until stable.

4 hours ago, Poppy745 said:

When the GP put me on prozac just before I reinstated I was really ill with akathasia. I stopped taking it after 3 days. It was a terrible mistake, but felt desperate and listened to the GP. That was 10mg.

The GP said this would be easier to taper off PZ, which is why I tried it, but we now know this is not always the case. I guess I was scared about the CT effect of Citalopram and was hoping for a miracle in that getting off Prozac would be quicker and easier than Citalopram. Nothing easy about this experience.

@edgewater9 @Poppy745 there is a free app for anxiety called Dare that you might find beneficial. I haven't tried it yet but some have benefitted. Also check out Claire Weekes, Hope and Help for Your Nerves. Day by day. 👍

20 yr+ Paroxetine/ Dec2018-May 2022 20 mg/ May 2022 30mg/2022.07.28-2022.08.24 30mg to 0mg/ August 24-29 2022 10mg Prozac/2022.11.28-2022.12.04- 5mg Paroxetine/Dec 5&6/22 10mg Paroxetine/ Dec 8&9/22 10mg Prozac/ 2022.12.07 to 2023.07.01 5mg Paroxetine

TAPER 23.07.02-58mgpw/4.9mgai/ 23.07.21-4.8 mg/23.07.28-4.73 mg/23.08.04-4.65 mg/21.09.23-4.58 mg/27.10.23-4.56 mg/5.12.23-4.54 mg/2.1.24-4.52 mg/9.1.24-4.51 mg/17.1.24-4.49 mg/26.1.24-4.47 mg/6.2.24-4.46 mg/19.2.24-4.44mg /4.4.24-4.43mg

8am-probiotics/9am-paroxetine, 200mg mag bisglycinate/ 1000mg Vitamin D/noon-1000 mg algae oil (500mg DHA/10mg EPA/620mg Omega 3)/5pm-75 mg DGL/200mg calcium citrate/8pm-.25 mg melatonin

"... your strength will be in keeping calm..."-Isaiah 30:15

I am not a medical professional just your peer. The suggestions I give are based on personal experience and/or the well documented experience of others.

1 minute ago, LostInCanada said:

@edgewater9 @Poppy745 there is a free app for anxiety called Dare that you might find beneficial. I haven't tried it yet but some have benefitted. Also check out Claire Weekes, Hope and Help for Your Nerves. Day by day. 👍

Many Thanks @LostInCanada I will take a look at the app. I also do not think I have seen the day by day stuff by Claire Weekes, so will check it out. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Thanks LostinCanada, I will check it out. Poppy, I am so sorry you are going through this, it is unbelievably frustrating making progress and having setbacks. I was ready to do something drastic when I chose to updose and it literally saved me, I had not slept in DAYS and was completely unhinged. It's really hard to know what direction to go in but my anxiety has taken on many different forms during this process, I only knew staying on the same dose or going down in dose was NOT working for me. I pray you find some relief and feel for you, stay strong and you will figure it out. The mods had before suggested I updose by no more than 10% and hold for at least a week, if you decide to go that direction I'm sure they will give good advice. Love and support to you

took citalopram 20mg from 1999-2004. Stopped with no issue and restarted 20mg in 2005, took until 2020. Tapered down to 10 MG over 3 months with no issue, then began tapering way too fast setting up multiple failed tapers and withdrawal symptoms. Jumped off from 1 MG in mid July 23. Finally completely crashed on 8/8/23, unable to sleep and racing and pounding pulse at all hours of day and night. Uncontrollable panic attacks and dread with depersonalization and derealization. Found site and reinstated .5mg liquid citalopram for one week, updosed too fast to .7 mg with kindling reaction. Went back to .5 MG on 8/15 and have been there since, racing heart has stopped and sleep was returning but now has gotten way worse quickly. Now on 6mg since 10/17, updosed due to symptoms. Continued updosing and now at 1.34mg, symptoms better overall

It’s good to hear your seeing some improvements. I went cold turkey off my meds after being switched multiple times and the dr causing kindling.

i constantly have flu like symptoms and a pounding racing heart. I’m 13 months completely off and still have so many symptoms. I always think about reinstating at a tiny dose but think it’s too late now.

Citalopram 10mg sep14-nov14,

cit 20mg nov14-jan15,

cit 40mg jan15 -jan22,

tapered cit 40mg-0mg in 10 days.

mirtazapine 15mg then 30mg jan22-Mar22,

tapered in 1 week.

citalopram 20mg apr22- may22( had a reaction this time, hives everywhere),

no taper cold turkey 

sertraline 50mg then 100mg may22-nov22, tapered in 2 weeks.

I am so sorry to hear that, it's really difficult getting off these meds clean and without issue. You'd have to ask the mods about updosing or reinstating at this point, it seems like it's always a gamble. Even though I'm having windows Im in a bad wave as of today.Best of luck and support to you, hang in there and I'm sure you it will improve at some point

took citalopram 20mg from 1999-2004. Stopped with no issue and restarted 20mg in 2005, took until 2020. Tapered down to 10 MG over 3 months with no issue, then began tapering way too fast setting up multiple failed tapers and withdrawal symptoms. Jumped off from 1 MG in mid July 23. Finally completely crashed on 8/8/23, unable to sleep and racing and pounding pulse at all hours of day and night. Uncontrollable panic attacks and dread with depersonalization and derealization. Found site and reinstated .5mg liquid citalopram for one week, updosed too fast to .7 mg with kindling reaction. Went back to .5 MG on 8/15 and have been there since, racing heart has stopped and sleep was returning but now has gotten way worse quickly. Now on 6mg since 10/17, updosed due to symptoms. Continued updosing and now at 1.34mg, symptoms better overall

On 12/8/2023 at 11:38 PM, edgewater9 said:

Thanks LostinCanada, I will check it out. Poppy, I am so sorry you are going through this, it is unbelievably frustrating making progress and having setbacks. I was ready to do something drastic when I chose to updose and it literally saved me, I had not slept in DAYS and was completely unhinged. It's really hard to know what direction to go in but my anxiety has taken on many different forms during this process, I only knew staying on the same dose or going down in dose was NOT working for me. I pray you find some relief and feel for you, stay strong and you will figure it out. The mods had before suggested I updose by no more than 10% and hold for at least a week, if you decide to go that direction I'm sure they will give good advice. Love and support to you

Thank you @edgewater9 I missed this message. I am so grateful for your support. 

Poppy, how are you doing? Any improvement at the new dose? Praying you start to see positive changes 

2 hours ago, edgewater9 said:

Poppy, how are you doing? Any improvement at the new dose? Praying you start to see positive changes 

@edgewater9 I am afraid that things are still very bad. Thanks for asking. 

I am really sorry to hear that. Please hang in there and hopefully something will break soon. After seeing improvement I have gone into a wave myself and have terrible anxiety and severe flu symptoms, please know that you are not alone and sending support to you. 

9 hours ago, edgewater9 said:

I am really sorry to hear that. Please hang in there and hopefully something will break soon. After seeing improvement I have gone into a wave myself and have terrible anxiety and severe flu symptoms, please know that you are not alone and sending support to you. 

I hope you feel better soon @edgewater9

Poppy, just checking in on you. How are you holding up?

38 minutes ago, edgewater9 said:

Poppy, just checking in on you. How are you holding up?

Hey @edgewater9 Thank you for checking in on me. Really kind. Well it's 2 steps forward and 10 steps back. About 4.30pm yesterday I got a window and I was able to gain some perspective and I thought this is it, the thoughts are going to fade now, but then as soon as it gets light in the morning it all starts again. It is nearly 6pm now and no window yet. This is one of the worst anxiety hits so far, day after day! Gosh I hope it fades to the back soon. How are you feeling Edgewater??

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that. That is extremely frustrating and I feel for you. With any luck you'll have a breakthrough soon, how is your sleep through all this? I find that for myself horrible nights of sleep magnify all of my symptoms greatly. For myself I have luckily got out of my wave and now feel very good today, I updosed again and am now at 1.5mg and plan on holding here for as long as I can

24 minutes ago, edgewater9 said:

Oh no, I'm really sorry to hear that. That is extremely frustrating and I feel for you. With any luck you'll have a breakthrough soon, how is your sleep through all this? I find that for myself horrible nights of sleep magnify all of my symptoms greatly. For myself I have luckily got out of my wave and now feel very good today, I updosed again and am now at 1.5mg and plan on holding here for as long as I can

@edgewater9 It is good to hear that you have had a good day. Long may it continue Edgewater. Gives me hope! My sleep had been fine after reinstatement, maybe 5, 6 hours usually (fell asleep straight away, wake early hours), but the last 3 nights has felt like cold turkey again, where I cannot get to sleep. As you say, it will not be helping. Do you generally sleep ok?

That stinks, I completely empathize with the lack of sleep. My sleep is terrible, in last wave I was almost the entire night dealing with crawly anxiety. The only time I get decent sleep is when I'm absolutely exhausted from the night before, it's a terrible cycle. Before this wave it had improved somewhat thought, going to be at 10 and waking at 3..not usually able to drift back after that though. Sad to say that is a big improvement over where it was before which was virtually nonexistent every night.

5 minutes ago, edgewater9 said:

That stinks, I completely empathize with the lack of sleep. My sleep is terrible, in last wave I was almost the entire night dealing with crawly anxiety. The only time I get decent sleep is when I'm absolutely exhausted from the night before, it's a terrible cycle. Before this wave it had improved somewhat thought, going to be at 10 and waking at 3..not usually able to drift back after that though. Sad to say that is a big improvement over where it was before which was virtually nonexistent every night.

@edgewater9 Maybe as you have had a good day you will be able to get a decent night. Anxiety in the night is awful! It is funny how we are happy to put up with much less sleep than we used to because of WD. I think I had got used to having less since this began, but really hope the last few nights of not switching off are just a blip. 

Yes the lonely feeling of being up at night with anxiety and in agony is something I dread everyday. Everything seems much worse at night and sometimes I want to scream in frustration when I can't fall asleep for hours. I pray this is temporary for you which I'm sure it will be , stay strong Poppy

7 minutes ago, edgewater9 said:

Yes the lonely feeling of being up at night with anxiety and in agony is something I dread everyday. Everything seems much worse at night and sometimes I want to scream in frustration when I can't fall asleep for hours. I pray this is temporary for you which I'm sure it will be , stay strong Poppy

Many Thanks @edgewater9 I wish the same for you too.

Poppy, just checking in with you..how are you holding up?

30 minutes ago, edgewater9 said:

Poppy, just checking in with you..how are you holding up?

Hey @edgewater9 It is still very hard I'm afraid. The evenings are usually a bit better, but the early hours, mornings and afternoons are so difficult. How have you been feeling?

Oh no I'm sorry, you are putting in a solid effort and I'm sure it will pay off further down the line. I have been having tough nights and mornings myself, the first three days of every updose has been brutal and without sleep, then on the next days it starts to get better. When you originally reinstated at 2.5mg I read your first couple days were bad,were your waves comprised of anxiety, feeling awful or how would you describe them? Just looking for something to compare mine to for reference if I decide to go higher.

9 minutes ago, edgewater9 said:

Oh no I'm sorry, you are putting in a solid effort and I'm sure it will pay off further down the line. I have been having tough nights and mornings myself, the first three days of every updose has been brutal and without sleep, then on the next days it starts to get better. When you originally reinstated at 2.5mg I read your first couple days were bad,were your waves comprised of anxiety, feeling awful or how would you describe them? Just looking for something to compare mine to for reference if I decide to go higher.

Thank you for your kind words @edgewater9. I have just looked at my journal and it seems although the first week had many waves after reinstament. I think the waves were stronger than the anxiety at this time. Waves are awful, but more manageable without such severe anxiety and I think the reinstatement took the edge off them. (there were some windows as well, especially later eve). Sleep started to improve overall. It was not perfect, but at least I was getting a few hours. There were some weeks that I got 6 hours or more. It seems that each day was improving overall for quite a while. I had some major outside stressors building towards the end of the first month, so it is probably that, that turned things a bit. I noticed that the heavy head feeling was better after reinstatement and the physical side was better for some weeks. I even had 2.5 weeks where I felt 65-75% normalish overall. I started to read and watch a bit of tv, which I could not do at all before. Friends said I looked better and had facial expressions again. There have been tough days, weeks for sure, but I have had a lot of stuff happening which will have impacted getting stable. Your experience could be much better.

Poppy, it breaks my heart to hear the terrible time you're having. I have reached the desperation point twice in the past week after zero sleep where I felt there was no coming back, but I am still here today and so are you. This will not be forever and we must continue on. I feel ashamed to be a grown man with a "guys" job crying all the time and being in this position, but I have been going to therapy and it has helped alleviate the guilt for making this choice.  I too have the "heavy head" feeling for the better part of each day and what I call fuzzy anxiety that goes with it. I pray it goes away as I go up in dose but you're right..the physical symptoms are nothing compared to severe anxiety. I could not bear it anymore and so started my updoses, but this has been an awful road too. Hang in there my friend 🙏

11 hours ago, edgewater9 said:

Poppy, it breaks my heart to hear the terrible time you're having. I have reached the desperation point twice in the past week after zero sleep where I felt there was no coming back, but I am still here today and so are you. This will not be forever and we must continue on. I feel ashamed to be a grown man with a "guys" job crying all the time and being in this position, but I have been going to therapy and it has helped alleviate the guilt for making this choice.  I too have the "heavy head" feeling for the better part of each day and what I call fuzzy anxiety that goes with it. I pray it goes away as I go up in dose but you're right..the physical symptoms are nothing compared to severe anxiety. I could not bear it anymore and so started my updoses, but this has been an awful road too. Hang in there my friend 🙏

@edgewater9 Never feel ashamed Edgewater. This experience takes bravery beyond belief, which you have in spades by going through this everyday. Yes we are here and time is still going by. There is nothing else we can do but wait it out. We will get there. You are doing so well. Thanks as always for your support. 

Poppy, happy holidays and I hope today finds you better. Please know I am thinking and praying for your recovery 🙏 

• 2 months later...

How are you doing, Edgewater?

Olanzapine (5mg) started June 2023 - This is the only drug I'm currently taking, haven't used any other psych drugs.

After 4 weeks dropped to 2.5mg for 5 days then dropped to 1.25mg for 3 days, withdrawals commenced. I then took a single dose of 3.75mg. Then went to 2.5mg. since July 19

Hoping to hold at 2.5mg  and GODWILLING I will STABILIZE.

I can't tell WD symptoms from Long Covid symptoms. I think a bit of both, and I think my quick earlier taper has made the LC symptoms worse ... what to do.

Update: Sept 28 2023: -2.5%   Oct 5: -2.5%   Oct 12: -2.5%   Oct 19: -5%   Oct 29: -5%   Nov 10: -5%  2.0mg  Nov 20:  -5%  1.9mg  Nov 30:  -5%  1.8mg  Dec 12:  1.75mg   Dec 22: 1.70mg

Dec 29: 1.65mg Jan 06/24: 1.60mg  Jan 14: 1.55mg Jan 25: 1.50mg   Feb 12: Updose to 1.55mg    Apr 25: 1.50mg

(percentage drops are from previous dose)