A Medical triumph that took a decade

zebb

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi zebb, @zebband thanks for posting.  I did move your topic to "In the Media" as you'll see.

We do have a stricter format for posting in "Journals and Scientific Sources"  See:

Before you start a topic in Journals

We are familiar with "Risk" and this really is a great article/blog and with comments.

Of course we don't endorse using another psychotropic drug to treat WD from the first, or to treat side effects of a drug here.

I'm seeing citalopram related to increased alcohol usage, as well as blood alcohol sometimes being higher while on it, with the same intake.

And more.

What stood out for you?

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you so much! 

What stood out for me was the fact it's now in the guidelines that SSRIs can worsen alcohol intake and consumption in some alcoholics and some non alcoholics. This will certainly help not only save lives but prevent many people in the future from having their lives destroyed as a result.

It was interesting to learn about other drugs too like antipsychotics e.t.c that can also have the same effects.

I just want people to know it is now recognised and in the guidelines for their safety.

I have always and always will have the utmost respect for surviving antidepressants. I came to you at first searching for answers and you certainly made me feel so welcome and gave me so much help and support at the time my life was in such a mess. I will be eternally grateful to you all.

I really can't thank you all enough.

Thank you so much 

Anne-Marie 

Paroxetine 30mg April 2000-Spring 2007 Citalopram 20mg Spring 2007-Spring 2009 Mirtazapine 15mg July 2009-Spring 2010 Mirtazapine 30mg Spring 2010

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy