Narcissus: just another Effexor story

Narcissus

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello people.

The window that had opened up over the past month immediately closed after I accidentally took less than my usual dose of Effexor.  This was nearly two weeks ago and I've been in a very bad way since then.  A few days ago I grew desperate and went to see my acupuncturist only a few days after receiving a treatment.  By the end of the treatment I felt positively awful, and the past few days have been absolute hell.  My anxiety is soaring, I feel hot and restless, there's a feeling of intense empty space eating into my stomach.  My appetite is completely gone, I'm having to force feed myself throughout the day.  The timing of this is all is very unfortunate, I'd just gone on a few dates with a new girl before I screwed up my meds.  I had to keep missing dates and I kept nervously apologizing about my health.  Finally she got frustrated and insisted we be friends.  She wasn't the girl of my dreams, but there's something about withdrawal sabotaging me like this that I find very hard to accept.  

I got the sense that my acupuncturist was inserting more needles than usual, plus he did this odd thing where he scraped my spine with a quarter, which is supposed to have some kind of detoxing effect.  Whatever the treatment was, it seemed to have really backfired in combination with jumping down on the Effexor.

I really hope that this subsides soon, and that I find myself back on the track I was on a few weeks ago.  What a nightmare!  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Administrator

Hang in there, N. This too shall pass.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Alto, things are better now, although I suspect they'll be bad again tomorrow.  It concerns me that these botched doses upset me so much, it makes me think tapering might be very difficult when I finally start.  A year and a half at 75 mgs, and I don't think I'm anywhere near ready for a taper.  A bit scary.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry you've been feeling bad Nar, and hope it passes soon.  Effexor is a

real nightmare but you will be able to start the taper eventually. I've been at

4 beads for a year now and still not ready to start tapering again. Tried to go

down to 3 but failed miserably and had to go back up to 4. It feels like I'll never

get there either but we will, one day we will do it! 

Mamma hugs. x

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hang in there, N. This too shall pass.

Ditto!!

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

Hello, Narcissus,

I have been reading some (though not yet all) of your story. Just stopping by to wish you continued courage and strength for the journey. I feel for you, truly.

Love and light.

04/2013 diagnoses: severe insomnia, major depressive disorder, anxiety disorder, agoraphobia. PTSD (my diagnosis)

Original scripts: 30 mg mirtazapine (Remeron) (1x day), 75 mg Bupropion HCL (Wellbutrin) (2x day), and 0.5 lorazepam (1x day or as needed)

05/05/14: Onset of acute Wellbutrin withdrawal symptoms after haphazard "taper" of 6-8 wks.

05/10/14: Joined this site.

05/11/14: Reinstated approx. 25 mg Wellbutrin (1x day)

05/14/14: Switched to 12.5 mg Wellbutrin (2x day)

06/28/14: Changed lorazepam dosing to .25 mg 2x a day - seems to be reducing anxiety flare-ups

07/28/14: Dosing Wellbutrin in a (home made) solution form 12.5 mg (2x day) 08/15/14: Remeron 28 25.2 22.7 20.5 18.5 16.7 15.1 13.6 mg (home made) solution

05/16/15: Have been dosing lorazepam at .5 mg in the morning, .25 mg in the afternoon, and .25 mg at bedtime. Anxiety has increased somewhat, possibly due to tolerance.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you mammaP,  Effexor is indeed a nightmare.  Thanks for dropping in Alex, and I appreciate the strength and courage, mlrp, although I'm not sure that it's completely reached me.

I've been in a bad hole for five or six days now.  There is a constant feeling of pressure and agitation, I find it there when I wake up and it persists all day until I fall asleep.  In addition to this there are episodes of bodily strain and crushing anxiety that occur throughout the day.  

My thoughts are very dark, despairing and self-critical, there's almost no respite from them.  All of this after having felt the best I've felt in a year and a half.  I don't know how long this will go on for, but I really hope that it ends soon.  

Today was a little less physically terrible than the previous few days, but there's a feeling of intense hopelessness that seems new.  Writing this is very difficult.

Nasty, nasty, nasty.  I hope you're all in better shape than I am at the moment.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Thinking of you narcissus. Please hang in there and know there are people who are pulling for you. Don't know what else to say. Hugs. RU

Fall 1995 xanax, zoloft. switched to Serzone

1996- spring 2003serzone/ xanax/ lightbox.

b]Fall 2003- Fall 2004? Lexapro 10 mg. Light box /4 mg. xanax.[/b]

2004 - Fall of 2009 10 mg Lex, 150 mg Wellbutrin XL % 4 mg xanax

November 2009- Sept. 2011 10 mg lex., 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax [/b

Sept.2012- July 2012 20 mg Lex 300 Well. XL, 4 mg Xanax

My mantra " go slow & with the flow "

3/2/13.. Began equal dosing 5 Xs /day xanax, while simultaneously incorporating a 2.5 % drop ( from 3.5 mg/day to 3.4 mg/day)

4/6/13 dropped from 300 mg. Wellbutrin XL to 150 mg. Difficult but DONE! Down to 3.3 mg xanax/ day / 6/10/13 3 mg xanax/day; 7/15/2013 2.88mg xanax/day.

10/ 1/2013...... 2.5 mg xanax… ( switched to tablets again) WOO HOO!!!!!! Holding here… cont. with Lexapro.

1/ 2/2014.. tapered to 18mg ( by weight) of a 26 mg ( by weight) pill of 20 mg tab. lexapro. goal is 13mg (by weight OR 10 mg by ingredient content) and STOPPED. Feeling very down with unbalanced, unpredictable WD symptoms.

1/2/2014- ??? Taking a brain-healing break from tapering anything after actively tapering something for 1.5 years. So… daily doses as of 2/2/2014: 18 mg by weight Lex, 150 mg Well. XL, 2.5 mg xanax, down from 26 mg by weight Lex., 300 mg well. XL, 4 mg xanax in August, 2012. I'll take it. :) 5/8/14 started equivalent dose liquid./ tabs. 5/13/14 1.5 % cut.

• Moderator Emeritus

This is just a wave Nar, you are recovering, focus on this:

..... felt the best I've felt in a year and a half.

Once this wave passes, you will be heading towards another open window, and then another.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

What Petu said.

From my vantage point it's easier to see, I know. I am so encouraged that you finally had a good spell. I've watched a lot of people go through this process and those long-awaited good spells are a very good sign for future healing. Unfortunately they are typically followed by bad spells, but still they seem to signal a shift which (much too slowly) does lead to gradual improvement.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thinking about you Nar, hope this wave passes very soon.  This will pass like all the others

Squishy Mamma hugs x

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Thank you guys, it's wonderful to hear from you as always.

Still in the pits at the moment. I had a horrific episode today, worse than anything I've experienced in months. I had a friend looking after me throughout the day, it would have been nearly unbearable on my own.

I continue to be struck by the horror of these episodes, and my complete inability to get any kind of distance from them. There's simply no way of making these things "okay", no way of reassuring myself when they're in full swing.

I've had to quit exercising again and I'm nervous about going back to acupuncture after that last treatment. I wonder if after my botched Effexor dose my cns became hypersensitive again, and the acupuncture tipped the scale. The flare up started just at the end of the session, I'm sure that's no coincidence.

As usual, I'm just going to have to ride this one out.

Hope you're all in better places!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

Nar

So sorry to hear. I am in the same way.

I'm posting from iPhone, not able to see your signature. Are you tapering?

I hope you get out of this hole fast.

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

I am sorry for you Nar.

I really don't know what advice to give you, because my experience is different from yours.

I took my last dose of Effexor 22 months ago, and never reinstated, so I don't know how it works when you reinstate.

What I know is that for many many months I thought I was gonna die....

Things have gotten a lot better now.

Hang in there my good friend.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm really sorry that you are feeling so bad Nar and glad you have a friend who can support you.

Sending Mamma hugs because it's all I can offer but they are heartfelt hugs. 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I just read through your thread from the beginning and now I'm wishing there was something I could do to make this better for you, this has been going on such a long time. I love the unique descriptive way you write about your experiences, at times, your thread reads like a well written novel and I found myself carried away into the experiences you described, even if they were unpleasant.  I guess its helps that I can completely relate to much of it myself.

I didn't realize you had been medicated from age 16, your signature only lists your experience with effexor from 2012.  This offers no comfort, but it does suggest a reason why stabilization at 75mg is so challenging.  But by reading through your thread, its easy to see that you are improving, in spite of some brutal waves which often seem to hit in response to some kind of stress, change or mistake.

Its interesting that last November, you predicted that you would need another year before you are free from waves and I think you meant ready to begin tapering again:

If I had to guess I'd say that it'll be another year before I'm really back to normal or close to normal.  I would've had a very hard time accepting this kind of time frame several months ago. By and large I think I've come to terms with being sick for the moment, even if I still struggle with it when things get bad.  

Perhaps when you are ready to start tapering again, you might consider a micro taper over several years. I believe that you can do it and fully recover, with enough time and patience because you are young with a lot of healing capacity and neuro-placticity.

I've had to quit exercising again and I'm nervous about going back to acupuncture after that last treatment. I wonder if after my botched Effexor dose my cns became hypersensitive again, and the acupuncture tipped the scale. The flare up started just at the end of the session, I'm sure that's no coincidence.

Like I mentioned above, this current wave is probably a reaction to the dose mistake.  I think its a good idea to take a break from the acupuncture and exercise until you settle down again.  From reading articles from Beyond Meds and some of GiaK's posts, I'm starting to understand why so many people, including myself, seem to get some initial benefit from various treatments and supplements, but then they stop working or start to cause increased symptoms.  I'm thinking its because these more natural treatments do actually work to cure or heal something, and then they are no longer needed at that point.  Maybe later, they could be useful again, but if healing happens in stages and cycles, then perhaps we only need certain treatments to support some stages of the healing process.  GiaK explained this much better than me in one of her blog posts.

I'm so glad you had a friend there to help you through this wave, I hope it passes soon.

(hugs)

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

How are you today?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks alex for stopping in, and I always appreciate your squishy hugs, mammaP.

Lexy, I'm hanging in there, thanks for asking.  I feel overheated and anxious in the mornings, like I'm catching the trailing end of a nightmare.  This feeling persists but I'm able to get used to it and sort of force it into the background.  The real hell starts in the afternoon with waves of terrible panic.  These have gone on daily for nearly two weeks now, which seems to be far more regular than usual.  

Petu, I really appreciate you reading through my thread, I'm glad you're able to enjoy some of the descriptions.  If we can't have health, we can at least have style!

I think you're right, the microtaper will be the best option for me.  

I'm thinking its because these more natural treatments do actually work to cure or heal something, and then they are no longer needed at that point.  Maybe later, they could be useful again, but if healing happens in stages and cycles, then perhaps we only need certain treatments to support some stages of the healing process.  

Yes, I think this must be the case.  The acupuncture seems to be most helpful when there's a fair amount of time between the treatments.  It's just so hard not to seize onto something once it provides some relief.  Do you know which blog post it is where GiaK talks about this?

How are you doing Petu?  You feel a bit like a withdrawal companion, I have this strange feeling that wherever you're at has some bearing on my own recovery.  Odd, but nice too.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Administrator

N, since your afternoon symptoms are so regular, you might try changing something you do regularly in the morning. You may be having a reaction to something you're eating or even soap you're using. Change one thing at a time and see if it helps.

Are the afternoons very hot lately?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Interesting, Alto.  I don't do much in the morning, generally I don't even shower until later.  I do usually get coffee, but I've avoided that for the past few days and have felt some improvement.  I have noticed that not eating is sometimes a trigger for me, I should probably make more of an effort to eat in the morning.  It's difficult because my appetite has been greatly diminished since the acupuncture treatment (this is the second treatment that has dramatically curbed my appetite).

Yes, the afternoons are getting pretty hot as we push into summer.  I'd wondered if that might be exacerbating things.

Do we think that these waves bring new sensitivities we may not normally have during calmer stages of withdrawal?  Is it possible, for instance, that in a wave I can't manage coffee while outside of one I do fine with it?  This seems to be the case with exercise.

Thanks for dropping in, I hope that you're doing well.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus
The acupuncture seems to be most helpful when there's a fair amount of time between the treatments.  It's just so hard not to seize onto something once it provides some relief.  Do you know which blog post it is where GiaK talks about this?

How are you doing Petu? 

Here it is:  http://beyondmeds.com/2014/05/13/lab-work-proves/

I've been doing slightly better these last 3 days, after the horrendous mornings subside that is.  Thanks for asking.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

Things are very, very rough. Panic, despair, head aches, a whole slew of druggy/intoxicated feelings, plus I seem to have hurt my back. Over two weeks in the hole and I don't seem to be getting out of it. Every day is a physical and psychological nightmare, I reach the end feeling like I've barely survived, only to wake up in the wringer again in the morning. There's a little relief late at night, I try to cherish it. Christ, this wave needs to break soon!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Things continue to be very dark.  Suicidal images appear during the worst of it, when my minds really scrambling for a way out.  Nothing I'd follow through on, but the thoughts themselves are frightening.

All the old symptoms have reappeared by now, the whole gang.  My injured back seems to be making things worse.  Saw the chiropractor today, have a few more treatments scheduled.  

These posts are tiring, they're so negative, so single-note.  But things are bad, I'm not sure I can do much except acknowledge how bad they are.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

Not posted on your thread before but feel I need to.

I'm sorry for your suffering, you're certainly not getting much of a break from this. The suicidal images and scrambled thoughts are rotten..I'm struggling the with the same damn things.

All you can do is hold on and wait for that window. It will come, I'm sure.

Hugs and thoughts to you.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Dear Nar,

thanks for sharing these dark moments. I think we all struggle with coming forth with something that is not positive but I think acknowledging it, as you say, is not only important for the person suffering but it always helps the ones it is shared with. I always feel honoured to be trusted and it encourages me to be more accepting of my own darkness.

I read from people that waves, just as bad cramps, are at their worst just before they retreat. So I really hope this will be the case for you now. 

hugs, 

bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Muddles, thanks for dropping in.  It's nice to know I'm not alone with all these things.  I hope you're feeling some relief.

Thanks for your kind words Bubble.  

My back is in very bad shape and I'm not really able to walk, the pain is obviously coloring my current wave in various ways.  Still, I shared some good company tonight and had a few good laughs, the back pain is really nothing compared to withdrawal.  I have to assume some pretty ridiculous poses to keep it from hurting, it's actually kind of funny.

I know things will look very grim when I wake up tomorrow, but for now I feel a small splash of acceptance.  

Hope everyone's night is going okay.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

Narcissus

I regrettably know what you are going through.

Just know you are not alone in this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello all.

Things have settled down a bit over the past few days.  I'm still not in a great spot, especially compared to where I was a month ago, but the waves of terror/adrenaline have largely subsided. I keep a calendar on my wall where I track some of my symptoms, I rate each day on a 1 to 10 scale, and waves of panic are given a X through XXX rating (XXX being almost unbearable).  There are XXX on nearly every day for the past three weeks!  This is one of the worst waves I've had yet, I've been very shaken by it.  Parts of it were so hellish and dark that it's hard to imagine I pushed through it.  Suicide crossed my mind many, many times.

There's no doubt about it, the botched dose of Effexor abruptly closed my last window and started this wave, and then my next acupuncture treatment a few days later (which included a new detoxing practice) pushed me over the edge (by the end of the treatment I was in tears, something felt very, very wrong).  

During this period I've noticed I have a very heightened sensitivity to sugar.  I've been drinking a lot of water and urinating very frequently.  I've also hurt my back, gotten some sort of eye infection and developed a cough all in the course of a month!  My body has quite clearly been thrown for a loop.  I'm just waiting it out now, waiting for the storm to calm.  I miss the clarity of last month, and being able to exercise.  It's very frustrating to be so sick again after feeling almost normal.

Part of me wants to return to my acupuncturist (he's usually helpful), but another part of me fears to.  Maybe I should wait a while before heading back.  

I think I'm going to try to be less anxious/stressed about withdrawal, as it seems to make things worse.  Not an easy task so far.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

On a good note, I'm reading a very interesting book called "The Alchemy of Illness".  The author writes about her experience with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, which sounds quite a bit like withdrawal in many ways.  Anyway, she makes a very compelling case for illness being a meaningful and transformative experience, I'm more persuaded by her than I have been by others.  If you enjoy a literary/philosophical approach, and don't mind some flowery language, I highly recommend it.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

You will ride this out.  You have been there before and will come out of this again!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for the book recommendation Nar, I will check it out.  I'm all for trying to squeeze some lemonade out of this particular lemon.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• Moderator Emeritus

A bitter lemon it is!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

So good to hear from you again, Nar, although I'm sorry the news is--temporarily--bad.  I always found that my worst waves resulted in a leap forward when they were over, although they certainly seemed interminable until they were over.  May it be so for you.

I hope I've given you something to hang onto and that we'll be getting good news soon.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 2 weeks later...

How are you Nar?

I posting from my phone, not able to see your sig line...are you currently tapering effexor?

I'm at 40mg and am in a depressive state, please any help??

I don't know how long this will go on. It's been a month.

I remember reading some of your thread and how difficult it's been for you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nar,

I'm sorry to hear about your back. I can definitely understand... Withdrawal is worse, mental anguish hurts more to me than physical pain, even when physical pain is bad. It seems to me that my physical pain is worse when I'm in distress mentally.

Hugs and healing!

Love Tezza

• 6 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello all, it's been a while since I've checked in here.

Looking back at my post from six months ago it's obvious that things have improved a great deal.  For the most part the past few months have been smooth-going.  While the flu-like symptoms linger on, I've had much more energy than I've had in previous phases of withdrawal.  If I exert myself too much, sleep irregularly or botch my Effexor dose somehow the more aggressive symptoms return.  But so long as I'm able to keep a kind of equilibrium I feel okay, not quite normal, but pretty good.  I went to Vietnam a few weeks ago and the 12 hour time difference upset my body quite a bit.  Every day brought a few hours of bodily/tension and incoherent, feverish anxiety.  This was difficult, but it also reminded me that these episodes are for the most part no longer part of my withdrawal experience.  And boy am I glad. 

I returned from my trip a few weeks ago, and as I was beginning to recover my sleep schedule I accidentally doubled dosed on my Effexor.  This is day two after the double dose, and while I do feel quite ill and disoriented, the reaction so far does not seem to be as bad as it's been in the past.  So, while things may be hard for a while, I do feel reassured. 

Having experienced some relief recently, I've begun to think about tapering.  I haven't formed any plans to start a taper, but I do feel like I'm edging closer to it.  I've been so debilitated that I haven't been able to think of tapering as anything more than an abstract event looming in some far off future.  But I'm beginning to anticipate it and feel the difficulties that are in store for me.

These missed/botched doses remind me that I'm still fiercely dependent on this stuff, and that I eventually do need to start the slow process of getting it out of my system.

Anyway, that's all for now.  Wish me luck with this latest wave, I'm hoping it won't be too serious of a setback.  Hope you all are seeing improvements. 

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs