Hi,

I’m 70 and have had depression and anxiety on and off for most of my life.      I weaned myself off Valium in my thirties successfully.     I was prescribed Citalapram 20mg 15 years ago and it works for me.      In the past twelve months my mobility has not been good and I have struggled badly with depression as I have the motivation but my body says “no”.       My family had to intervene to get me some help and I was prescribed Mirtazapine which helped me through a bad patch.    I now would like to come off Mirtazapine as I feel tired all the time.     My doctor is aware of this and told me to do it gradually, which is sensible.     I’ve been checked for everything to explain my tiredness and everything is fine, so my next step is to look at the meds I take.    

Thank you for reading this and any advice on coming off the Mirtazapine would be gratefully received.    

2000 to Present : citalapram 20mg

November 2023 to present : Mirtazapine 15mg

January 2024 to present : amitriptilan 10mg

Hi @Crochetchica,

Welcome to SA,

We are a peer-run volunteer site dedicated to a harm reduction tapering approach in an effort to minimize withdrawal symptoms. We suggest tapering by no more than 10% of your most recent dose each mont.h See  Why taper by 10%.

Could you help us out by adding a signature, which will ensure your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist. Please see the below link:

How to Create a Signature 

These two links will help you to understand withdrawal syndrome:

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

When we take medication, the CNS responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS must then undo all the changes that were made. As the changes are undone, symptoms may occur. You can expect that they will follow 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization  and since the CNS likes stability, we suggest to Keep it simple, slow and stable.

The below post has information for tapering mirtazapine:

Please post any updates or questions related to your specific situation right here in your thread. It's helpful to keep everything related to your tapering journey in one spot.

Again, welcome, and please let us know what questions you have :) 

LotusRising

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***