E123: Life after long term SSRI use

Hello,

I am looking for information or others experience of life after long term SSRI use.  I was on SSRIs for 38 years and have been completely off for 9 months. I started as a teenager and am 58 yo now so not sure what normal is supposed to look like.  Though I do not feel depressed, I am still unable to sleep and have had to resort to medication for this.  The other experience I have is apathy.  I find myself caring about very little.  The things I loved before I have no attachment to now. It is a very strange existential space.  Wondering if others have had this experience and if it ever changes over time. Thank you.

1988 Prozac Buspar

1991 Zoloft

1996 Added Gabapentin

6/2023 Completely off Zoloft and Gabapentin after tapering for 2 years.

1/2024 Back on Gabapentin due to an inability to sleep

• KenA changed the title to E123: Life after long term SSRI use
  • Administrator

Welcome @E123,

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist. 

17 hours ago, E123 said:

so not sure what normal is supposed to look like.

I reckon normal may be a little different for all of us 🙂

17 hours ago, E123 said:

Though I do not feel depressed, I am still unable to sleep and have had to resort to medication for this.

Sleep issues can be quite common for those who are tapering/have recently tapered their AD. When you say you are taking medication, it will be important to add that to your drug signature. Some people find Melatonin for sleep helpful.

17 hours ago, E123 said:

The other experience I have is apathy.  I find myself caring about very little.  The things I loved before I have no attachment to now. It is a very strange existential space. 

There are a few WD symptoms you may still be experiencing: Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

17 hours ago, E123 said:

Wondering if others have had this experience and if it ever changes over time.

Have you had a read of the success stories? You can use the search function to find people that have successfully tapered from your AD.

This is your own Introduction topic.  Each member has only ONE Introduction topic.  Your own Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and the place to journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place and means you do not have to repeat your story. 

Once again, welcome to S.A...and please remember your drug signature.

Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg,

I'm always surprised when doctors are okay with people taking these drugs for so long, for them it's just "medicine" just like there is medicine for diabetes so it's completely justified.

Truth is most SSRI studies don't even last a year.

These experiences you described so far are normal, the more and better you describe your experiences after quitting the more people will be able to understand you, validate you and help you going through all this.

I hope you live a better life from now on.

IMO, now a new and better life could start for you. The emotions that you feel or don't, such as sadness or passion, they should come back with time.

Mid Feb 2017 - Mid March 2017 0.25mg Sertraline

March 2017 - last months of 2019 0.50mg Sertraline

Last months of 2019 - tappering, cold turkey and reinstating multiple times, decided to not take it any longer (suffering unknown withdrawal)

April 2020 - end August 2020 - 0.50mg again, stopped cold turkey

Jan/Feb 2021 (Can't remember exactly) - 0.25mg or 0.50mg Sertraline for 1-3 weeks max

0.00mg since August 2020

37 minutes ago, Gonzo said:

Truth easy most SSRI studies don't even last a year.

They often last a few weeks and have numerous other flaws.

18 hours ago, E123 said:

Hello,

I am looking for information or others experience of life after long term SSRI use.  I was on SSRIs for 38 years and have been completely off for 9 months. I started as a teenager and am 58 yo now so not sure what normal is supposed to look like.  Though I do not feel depressed, I am still unable to sleep and have had to resort to medication for this.  The other experience I have is apathy.  I find myself caring about very little.  The things I loved before I have no attachment to now. It is a very strange existential space.  Wondering if others have had this experience and if it ever changes over time. Thank you.

For 9 months off after 38 years it could be a lot worse, I would say. Well done on coming off.

It may take quite some time but I would expect the anhedonia to gradually improve. If you're able to function, doing relaxing but enjoyable things like walking in nature, even if you don't enjoy it might be beneficial over time. It is a case of carrying on and hoping that in another 3 or 6 months you have less apathy than you do now. It can take your body a lot of time to undo the changes made by psychiatric drugs.

• 15mg Remeron/Mirtazapine November starting 2022 (severe physical side effects)
  • Attempted to taper off January 2023, ended up having a major breakdown and going up to 30mg, took weeks to stabilise
  • Therapy and self-care helped a lot mentally while stable on the drug (but with bad physical side effects)
  • Tapered off over 4-5 weeks, felt physically better all through taper & sexual side effects & palpitations went away
  • Last dose 20-24th April 2023
  • Severely physically unwell from 2nd May 2023. Had many bad symptoms eg. Palpitations, adrenaline rushes at night etc in the weeks following and couldn't eat. 
  • Many symptoms eventually resolved, but left with severe and debilitating fatigue, poor sleep and sexual side effects.

Summary: 5 months using Mirtazapine, including 1 month taper ending late April 2023. Severe withdrawal since.