raiii93: Paxil 12,5mg

hello. I would like some advice about my case. In 2021 I started my journey on antidepressants with paxil 12.5mg for anxiety and the adaptation was very smooth and I got along really well with the medication. My anxiety symptoms have practically disappeared. In December 2022 I weaned as I no longer had any symptoms. However, in March 2023 my anxiety returned very strongly to the point where I couldn't even eat properly and the psychiatrist said to go back on paxil 12.5mg. It turns out that the adaptation was horrible and had a lot of side effects, but after about 2 and a half months the side effects stopped but I didn't feel a big improvement in anxiety or OCD. The psychiatrist asked to increase the dosage to 25mg, but unfortunately the amount was too expensive for me as I am unemployed and so I asked her to switch to another medication and she prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. After about 4 months with paxil 12.5mg I weaned and felt good for about 6 months with some ups and downs. Anyway, the anxious symptoms started to return with force again and I started taking fluoxetine, but I'm experiencing a lot of side effects, especially on appetite and anxiety. Do you think it is safe to continue taking it? I'm afraid I messed up my brain or something.
  • KenA changed the title to raiii93: Paxil 12,5mg
  • Administrator

Welcome to S.A. @raiii93

So the moderators can best help you, please complete your drug signature by following these instructions. Adding a signature ensures your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it more efficient for those trying to assist. 

Also, it looks as though you tried to copy and paste your introduction from another source, but it hasn't come across properly. Can you please try to post your introduction again...

Regards, Emonda

Please don't send me PMs. I am not a doctor. My comments are based on my personal experience with ADs and tapering. Consult your doctor about your own medical decisions.

2017 – 2022:   Vortioxetine 15mg, Jan ’22, 15mg->5mg over 4 weeks, Feb ‘22 5mg -> 7.5mg due to WD, July ’22 6.75mg (found SA website), Aug 6.07mg, Sep 5.46mg, 11 Oct 5.00mg, 18 Oct 4.88mg, 25 Oct 4.75mg, 1 Nov 4.63mg, 8 Nov 4.5mg, 3 Jan ’23 4.39mg, 10 Jan 4.28mg, 17 Jan 4.06mg, 13 Feb 3.95mg, 20 Mar 3.85mg, 3 Apr 3.75mg, 10 April 3.65mg, 31 May 3.58mg, 8 June 3.50mg, 15 June 3.43mg, 22 June 3.35mg, 12 Jul 3.29mg,  19 Jul 3.22mg, 26 Jul 3.15mg, 3 Aug 3.09mg, 30 Aug 3.02mg, 7 Sep 2.96mg, 14 Sep 2.89mg, 21 Sep 2.82mg, Oct 11 2.75mg, Oct 19 2.70mg, Oct 26 2.64mg, Nov 2 2.59mg, Nov 23 2.53mg, Nov 30 2.48mg, 7 Dec 2.43mg, 17 Dec 2.38mg, 19 Jan 2.33mg, 26 Jan 2.28mg, 2 Feb 2.24mg, 8 Feb 2.19mg,  29 Feb 2.15mg,  7 Mar 2.10mg,  14 Mar 2.06mg,  21 Mar 1.99mg,  10 Apr 1.95mg, 17 Apr 1.91mg, 24 Apr 1.87mg, 1 May  1.83mg,

Hello everyone! First of all, sorry for my bad english. I'm glad I found this forum and as you have a lot of experiencia, i would like some help with my situation. 

In 2021 I started my journey taking antidepressants with paxil 12,5mf for anxiety and the adaptation was very smooth and i got along very well with the medication, my anxiety symptons have pratically disapperead. So, in december 2022 I weaned because I no longer had symptons and my psichiatrist thought i was better to stop taking the medication. However, in march 2023 my anxiety returned very strongly to the point that i cound't even eat properly, sleep or do anything. For this reason, the psychiatrist thought it would be better to go back with the medication. It turns out that the adaptation was horrible and i had a lot of side effects unlike the first time, but after about 2 and a half months the side effects (headaches, extremely anxiety, nausea) stopped but i din't feel much improvement in my anxiety or OCD. The psychiatrist asked to increase the dosage to 25mg but unfortunalety the amount was too expensive for me as I am unemployed and so I asked her to change it to another medication an then she prescribed fluoxetine 20mg. After about 4 months on paxil 12.5mg, I waned and felt fine for about 6 months with some ups and downs, but it was completely tolerable and for that reason i thought it best not to start fluoxetine right away. But at the end of february, i felt that the anxious symptoms (lack of sleep, lack of apetite, racing heart) started to return after a very bad PMS i had. As i want back to college and really needed to concentrate, i thought it was time to start taking antidepressants again and so I started taking fluoxetine prescribed by the psychiatrist. First, I started with 10mg for the first week. On the third day, I felt mey hear beating fast, extreme lack of appetite (more than before) and extreme insomnia (more than before). In the second week, double the dose to 20mg as the psychiatrist prescribed. Everything got worse, and now i have morning anxiety and cant sleep for more than 4 hours. I know thtat things get worse before they get better, but i red the reports here on the forum and i'm afraid that i was with some kind of PAWS from going on and off paxil two times and now having made everything worse by adding fluoxetine. Please, i would like some kind of advice. I dont know if i continue taking the medication for 2 months as advised by my psychiatrist or if i stop fluoxetine immediately before things get worse. 

Oct, 2021 - Dec, 2022: paxil 12,5mg

April, 2023: reinstarting paxil 12,5mg

September, 2023: stopped paxil 12,5mg

Feb, 27: fluoxetine, 10mg first week and now 20mg (2 days)