GMcA92: Withdrawing Citalopram

Hi all

Total newbie to the site. Found on Reddit and I'm so grateful!

Currently withdrawing from citalopram 40mg. Told GP it wasn't working as moods were terrible, he suggested reducing to 20mg for two days then nothing for 48hrs then small dose of sertraline. 

I've not done that 🫠. I want to be without these medications for a while. I'm recovering from a femoral osteotomy and tapered off my morphine at the same time. Not thinking clearly, obviously.

Last dose of citalopram was 22/02/24. Before this i reduced from 40mg to about 10mg over two weeks before cessation on 22nd Feb. 

I'm struggling massively with symptoms and have been for about a week. Now I'm feeling it is unbearable. I am considering reintroducing it slowly to mediate the symptoms but not to restart treatment but rather manage symptoms then attempt another weaning off.

I've read some of the forums on here about reductions and small and slow seems to be the best. I'm not sure I'm going to be doing more damage by reinstating about 5/10mg of citalopram after being off them for 1.5weeks. 

Thanks a lot for reading 

• KenA changed the title to GMcA92: Withdrawing Citalopram

Hi @GMcA92

Welcome to SA,

It sounds like you're now aware we suggest tapering by no more than 10% of your most recent dose each month? See  Why taper by 10%.

Could you help us out by adding a signature. This will ensure your drug history appears at the bottom of every post, making it easier for those trying to assist. 

How to Create a Signature 

On 3/4/2024 at 3:26 PM, GMcA92 said:

I'm struggling massively with symptoms and have been for about a week. Now I'm feeling it is unbearable.

What is happening? What symptoms are you experiencing?

On 3/4/2024 at 3:26 PM, GMcA92 said:

Last dose of citalopram was 22/02/24. Before this i reduced from 40mg to about 10mg over two weeks before cessation on 22nd Feb.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug can sometimes help to alleviate withdrawal syndrome. The only other alternative is to wait out the symptoms and manage the best you can while your CNS returns to homeostasis. Unfortunately, I can't give you an exact timeline as to when, or if you will. While some will notice immediate improvement, for others it can take many months or longer.

Since you are within the 3 month timeframe where reinstatement reliably works, it might work and it might not. If you decide that reinstatement is an option for you, we would recommend a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose. These drugs are strong and your system has become sensitized and if you take too high a dosage, it may be too much for your brain. If it's only been 1.5 weeks, 5/10mg sounds like a reasonable starting point. 

This is your thread. Please post any comments or questions related to your personal story right here.

And again, welcome :) 

LotusRising

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***