Hi friends...

When SSRI's came into my life, they saved me. 

Through most of my life (teens and twenties) I had successfully lived with my mental health struggles using tools such as exercise, time outdoors, and an ever changing and stimulating lifestyle as one has during this time of their life. 

When I moved in my early 30s, completely upending my life as I had never lived anywhere else, I was no longer able to deal with the depths my depression took me to. After failing to find relief from Wellbutrin, I reluctantly decided to try Lexapro. It truly saved me when I was at my lowest point until then. I knew about some of the side effects, weight gain, lower libido, which is why I hesitated. But, as I was no longer functioning, something needed to change. And, it did.

What I did not know, was how horrific it was going to be to try to get back off of this drug. I understand myself better now, and I've created an environment in my life that should help me to thrive. But then there is this drug. It is like a veil. More subtle than the depression was, but still something that keeps me from living fully. It keeps me from feeling fully. 

In 2019, I was ready to come off of the drug. With a new psychiatrist (not the one who initially prescribed SSRI to me), I expressed that I was ready to come off of Lexapro. She told me to cut the dose in half for a few weeks, then in half again, then for a few more weeks, then I would be off the medication. After 5 days at half dose, I was having flu-like symptoms, crying whenever I moved more intensely than a walk, not sleeping....it was too much. I told my doctor and she said to go back to the full dose and we could try again slower at a later time. Then, she retired, and I moved to help my Mom go through cancer treatment. Not a good time to remove your antidepressant. 

In April 2023, my Mom went into remission, I had the best job, I lived in a place that was good for my soul, and I had so much support around me that I was ready to try again. I did not have a new doctor by now to support me, but I had learned the first time that I needed to slow the tapering process down. I thought I could do it. I reduced my dose by only 25% for 2 weeks, then again to half dose for 1 day. After not sleeping for 4 consecutive nights in a row in addition to the previous WD symptoms I had the first time, I went back to full dose. 

I was angry and sad. I felt like I had no control and my inability to come off the drug made me want to come off it even more. Why don't doctors tell you about this before they put you on it???? Yes, I've gained weight, my sex life has suffered, but not being able to stop taking this little pill is appalling. I didn't sign up to be dependent on a life-numbing drug for my entire lifetime!@@

My Mom did pass away this last year. The last thing I've needed since April is to take away this crutch when my heart has been more broken than it ever has before. 

But I am healing, and I think part of that healing process is to take back full ownership and control over my mind and body by getting off Lexapro. I have a two new doctors who are going to support me through this, and I have this site!!! I am so incredibly thankful for the resources and stories about people's journeys going through the same process I will. Thank you all SO MUCH for this site.

My new doctors have prescribed me some additional psychoactive drugs to support this process: Lamotrigine and Bupropion. I am taking these to help alleviate WD symptoms from tapering off Lexapro, but I am very anxious about becoming dependent on these as well. My goal is to come off all psychoactive drugs to see where I am in navigating my mental health without chemical support. We will see...

Lexapro 20mg March 2019-Present

• Attempted taper November 2022 cutting dose in half, reinstated after 5 days due to WD symptoms
  • Attempted taper April 2023 dose by 25% for 2 weeks, 50% for 1 day, reinstated to full dose due to WD symptoms

Adderall 15mg XR May 2021-Present, but unable to access since 2022 due to national shortage
Lamotrigine 100mg February 2024-March 2024

• taking by Dr. instructions for suspected bipolar but MAINLY because Dr said it would help alleviate WD symptoms from Lexapro when I start my slow taper, aiming for April 2024 to start taper
  • Decided to taper down this medication to half-dose to see if I experience any WD symptoms. 
  • Stopped taking drug completely 

Bupropion XL 150mg February 2024-March 2024

• taking per Dr instructions to alleviate WD symptoms when I start tapering from Lexapro in April 2024
  • Due to concerns (and feedback from other members and member stories on the site) about pill switching and just shifting my dependence to another drug, I've decided to stop taking this. Thankfully so far, no WD symptoms from stopping CT. 
  • May 2024 update: no WD symptoms

Hi @khugsplants

Welcome to SA. Great idea to start this process of tapering from a stable place. I'd advise to not rush it. I understand the frustration of finding out you're dependent on a drug but slow and steady is the game here. 

We do not advise trying to go this with other psychoactive drugs because as you guessed they'd need to be tapered (for years) as well. The body grows accustomed/dependent on many psychoactive drugs within a few weeks of starting them. And there is no evidence they actually help protect from withdrawal at all. 

Bipolar is often diagnosed in people who take ADs because the drugs activate them and this activation is diagnosed as mania. They you can have a look at the book "Anatomy of an epidemic". Please read through the Tapering forum here where you will find lots of resources. SAs landing page also has  lots of links. Being prepared will make this journey easier. 

Omw

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate the feedback and insights. I will continue to explore the topics and forums here.

One of my doctors has recommended a series of supplements to also help this process and to potentially use as a replacement of Lexapro to support mental health.

Start the following supplements for mood, weight , insulin resistance.

• INOSITOL: This supplement is used for elevated blood sugars, insulin resistance, and weight management. 
  • B ACTIV: This supplement contains the entire spectrum of B vitamins. 
  • VITAMIN K2/D3 5,000- This formulation features the most bioavailable and bioactive form of supplemental vitamin K2 and vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) - the identical form in which vitamin D is derived in the body from cholesterol and synthesized by sunlight on the skin. It promotes bone and heart health. 
  • OPTIMAG NEURO POWDER: This magnesium supplement is optimized to cross the blood-brain barrier. Optimizing magnesium may improve mood and cognitive symptoms. 

I am not sure if folks have experience or feedback on these types of supplements, but I wanted to post these here as documentation of my journey.

• Attempted taper November 2022 cutting dose in half, reinstated after 5 days due to WD symptoms
  • Attempted taper April 2023 dose by 25% for 2 weeks, 50% for 1 day, reinstated to full dose due to WD symptoms

Adderall 15mg XR May 2021-Present, but unable to access since 2022 due to national shortage

• taking by Dr. instructions for suspected bipolar but MAINLY because Dr said it would help alleviate WD symptoms from Lexapro when I start my slow taper, aiming for April 2024 to start taper
  • Decided to taper down this medication to half-dose to see if I experience any WD symptoms. 

• taking per Dr instructions to alleviate WD symptoms when I start tapering from Lexapro in April 2024
  • Due to concerns (and feedback from other members and member stories on the site) about pill switching and just shifting my dependence to another drug, I've decided to stop taking this. Thankfully so far, no WD symptoms from stopping CT. 

We do recommend Magnesium and Omega-3. It is not clear that crossing the BBB is necessary for Mg to exert its calming effects. I personally found Mg Threonate (the one designed to be brain friendly) to be uncomfortable and like Mg citrate. Be careful with the B vitamins. They are usually given in doses that are many times above the daily recommended dose - in supplements they get to 1000% or more. Some people here find B vitamins too activating. 

Regarding your other two drugs - we consider any psych drug that you take for over 1 month to form physical dependence and will expect it to require tapering at 10% of previous dose a month. So if you stay on these drugs we will expect that you will tapering from them for years to come. It may be worth thinking whether you want to continue taking them. Has your doctor given you any evidence/studies that show that they are helpful in *preventing* withdrawal symptoms? We are not aware of any such effect. 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

On 3/4/2024 at 3:50 PM, khugsplants said:

My new doctors have prescribed me some additional psychoactive drugs to support this process: Lamotrigine and Bupropion. I am taking these to help alleviate WD symptoms from tapering off Lexapro, but I am very anxious about becoming dependent on these as well. My goal is to come off all psychoactive drugs to see where I am in navigating my mental health without chemical support.

@khugsplants

Welcome to SA,

Have you considered this might be counterproductive? Replacing one drug with another will result in further tapers and will not necessarily be easier than discontinuing lexapro. If your goal is to navigate your mental health without chemical support, you might consider doing a slower taper from the drug you're already on, lexapro. I think feeling anxious is a valid response to the idea of adding in new medications, since we know that these will also lead to physiological dependence and require further tapers. 

Have you looked through our coping skills resources? You might think of bolstering these prior to tapering so that you're prepared for any WD symptoms that might pop up. 

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

• Administrator

@khugsplants My philosophy was always that you can't fix a pill problem by taking another pill. I know to some people this sounds a bit harsh, but like @Onmyway and @LotusRising have suggested, adding in other medications may not be the best idea. Ultimately you have to make the decision yourself, but please keep in mind all possible repercussions that may happen by adding new medications. 

2010-2011 - Tramadol - Can't remember dosage

2011 - CT Quit Tramadol

2011-2019 - St Johns Wart - Started out at 3 Pills a day (300 MG) and increased to 6 per day over the years

August 2019 - CT Quit St Johns (Told by Hospital Dr to Stop Taking due to increased BP)

September 2019 - Citalopram 10mg - Approx 2 weeks - CT Quit

September 2019 - October 2019 - Clonazepam .5mg - Approx 3 weeks - CT Quit

Drug Free Since October 5th 2019

@KenA @LotusRising @Onmyway

Thank you all so much for the feedback! Your comments echo my own hesitation. I hear you all, and it solidifies my thoughts around pill replacing.

I've skipped two mornings of the Wellbutrin with thankfully NO WD symptoms. Caught it in time hopefully. I have been taking the Lamotrigine longer, so will taper that. AND I'll reach out to me doctors to discuss.

Again, thank you so so much!

Hi @khugsplants

I only have a couple of minutes but even if you've taken the Wellbutrin for a few weeks we'd recommend a traper, just a much quicker one - try 1/2 tablets for a few days then 1/4 for a few more and then stop. This may be more complicated depending on what kind of tablet you have. 

This topic should help:

• 1 month later...

Hi friends! An update

I got sick with a cold at the beginning of May and decided to wait another month to start my taper. I did not want to hit myself hard in another way while I was sick. I plan to start this weekend. My goal is to time my taper with my hormonal/menstrual cycle. I have PMDD and understand that I will have the best luck if I time my dosage decreases when I am at my peak "happy" hormones through my cycle. I plan to taper once a month aligned with this cycle. 

I also stopped taking the Wellbutrin and Lamotrigine with thankfully NO withdrawal symptoms.

I will be cutting my first 10% this weekend. Thank you all for your support!